Apple Watch

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

strategyanalytics.com/strategy-analytics/news/strategy-analytics-press-releases/strategy-analytics-press-release/2016/04/27/strategy-analytics-apple-watch-slips-to-52-global-smartwatch-marketshare-in-q1-2016
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

no point

The fact that you NEED an iPhone to use one killed a lot of the market off in the first place.

>2016
>not having iPhone

This, they are the worst ones on the market because of that. Everything else is designed to be compatible but Apple has the most jews.

Only a retard would buy an iPhone, they are also locked and won't use standards any more than they have to. Even when they make some part compatible it still needs adapters, which they gladly sell.

had every version of the iphone since the 2G until this March when i switched to the SGS7 Edge. Unless Apple does something leaps and bounds that are ahead of the competition, I cant see myself going back.

What is the best smart watch to go for nowadays if you have an android, then?

I still have my couple of years old LG G Watch non-R, because I wanted a square screen rather than a round one. It's still working and gets updated and I don't have an LG phone, I have a Sony.

If I would get a new one now I would make sure it is compatible with other manufacturers too so I can upgrade my watch and my phone individually like I have done now. I would also go for ones that have a standard watch wristband so I can't be in trouble if it breaks and I happen to have an old model not sold anymore. Other than that I don't know what I want from it, mine's missing heart rate monitor so probably that.

The big problem with Apple Watch is that it doesn't focus on the one thing people actually use these devices for: Notifications

The gay force that comes included in every apple product

>Only a retard would buy an iPhone, they are also locked and won't use standards any more than they have to. Even when they make some part compatible it still needs adapters, which they gladly sell.

lol

What it like being an elite hacker that needs muh customizashuns on his phone?

You know you can put your my little pony wall paper on an iPhone too right?

>What went wrong?
Not much. It's still the best selling smart watch by a huge margin and watchOS 3 looks really promising. Not every Apple product has to sell like the iPhone to be a success...

Why would I, the consumer, care even the tiniest bit about how much profit do they make or how well are they selling? That is the stupidest possible reasoning. Anyone on this board who isn't working for Apple should care about the quality, price performance and features. Are you not one of them?

What? He is saying that because OP asked what is went wrong, but in fact apple watch is doing well.

Despite the sales Apple Watch is piece of shit. That's what he's saying.

nice opinion

Are any smartwatches actually worth it?

Gimmicks.

I'd rather have a real watch and use it as a proper fashion accessory instead.

Absolutely fucking nothing you dumb shit?

>strategyanalytics.com/strategy-analytics/news/strategy-analytics-press-releases/strategy-analytics-press-release/2016/04/27/strategy-analytics-apple-watch-slips-to-52-global-smartwatch-marketshare-in-q1-2016

Having over 50% of the market while releasing their product like a year later and costing more, is fucking amazing; and it's likely that they just started.

Obviously the watch is overpriced crap but every watch is overpriced crap, at least Apple managed to actually sell theirs.

People who drop over 300 bucks on a watch, don't tend to have poordroid phones, so what is the issue?

Just buy a chink one for like a 1/4th the price.

Slightly better than a regular watch because of the added functionality but still a meme because it takes almost no effort to pull my phone out of my pocket. It's also overpriced for what it is.

My phone cost about twice as much and I still chose Android. I always check Apple too but they haven't made a phone worthy of my interest yet. Maybe the next one, or the one after that. Then again Android phones will be far ahead by then and I might have to get one of those.

>tfw I never get to be an Apple pleb because I focus on features too much instead of going with the "muh status symbol" meme.

Useless.

>My phone cost about twice as much
Almost any phone does, but iPhones beyond SE start at 800-900. Afterwards 300 for a watch is nothing.

>instead of going with the "muh status symbol" meme
Then you're not the target market for "smart" watches or normal watches, nigger. That shit is absolutely useless beyond status symbol.

It's a hunk of jewelry that loses it's value once it's technology becomes obsolete.

No apps

Smart watches are fucking useless at the moment.

>I don't have to take my phone out of my pocket to get my twitter updates

Wow! Great!

There's no killer app that absolutely needs a smart watch, once developers play up to their strengths then maybe but until then they're just an extra layer of convenience in a specific set of circumstances.

>Almost any phone does, but iPhones beyond SE start at 800-900. Afterwards 300 for a watch is nothing.
This is either a bad bait or you are getting ripped off. IPhone 6s 16 GB is 686,90 € and European pricing is almost always higher than US pricing in fucking everything. It is impossible that it would start at $800 in US. You just want to make it sound more expensive. My phone was over 600 euros as well, it was purely a matter of choise in my case.
>Then you're not the target market for "smart" watches or normal watches, nigger. That shit is absolutely useless beyond status symbol.
Smartwatches are not useless, they are like normal wristwatches but with even more features. Having more features easily accessible is pretty much the opposite of useless, but at least you milked a (You) out of this nonsense.

>once developers play up to their strengths

Which will never happen

I've been daily driving my G Watch R for a year and a half so far. Lasts a day and a half with my energy efficient watch face and always on enabled.

I've got friends with other watches and I this is the only one I've seen that does "always on" right. The rest either have the entire screen on or shut off the screen regularly instead of constantly showing the time.

The Urbane is the same shit apparently in a different case, but at this point I would get the Urbane 2 as it has a higher res screen, better battery, and cellular capability. Better battery is the biggest bonus, but idk if the band is still replaceable like on the Urbane and GWR.

>16 GB
That shit is for your mom or company who provides their workers with them. 64gb 6s starts at 850€ directly from Applel, 6s Plus easy hits laptop prices, and the price in Germany tend to be lower than in most other Euro-countries too. It's $749.00 in US of A.

>they are like normal wristwatches
That are a dumb gimmick in times of smartphones, only serving the purpose to show how much disposable income you can waste (unless you buy a terrorist watch, which shows how much of a hipster you are). Smartwatches have the benefit of adding "I'm tech-savy" to the shit.

>Having more features
>features
"Gimmicks" is the word you're looking for.

>300 on a watch

Nigga real watches cost thousands to 10s of thousands of dollars. Apple watches are seen as cheap pleb shit by the rich when it comes to watches. The iphone is a status symbol by the apple watch is not.

Everything. The whole platform was designed in response to Android Wear to please those who would never bother buying an Android watch because it runs Android, even though they blatantly support pairing with iPhones.

It's just a clusterfuck of features ripped straight out of Android Wear with no hope for continued support or development.

B-but without one, I wouldn't know h-how to breath without my mouth!

>What went wrong?
Apple's hand was forced by Google to rush a product to the market.

Smartwatches as we think of them today have been around since the 90's with the Timex Datalink and a few others. The same problem with smartwatches exist today as they did back then: there is no real value add to the average person.

As far as smartphone integration goes, how much more convenience is practical? Phones are already meant to be pulled out of you pocket or bag with ease.

>I personally don't see a practical use
>Therefore it's a gimmick

Not having to open or even be near your phone to get messages is actually a massive advantage that no one understands till they start using a smartwatch. Its infinitely more convenient when doing any number of things to check your wrist instead of fishing for your phone in your pocket or going across the room to it.

Nobody wears watches anymore

People wear it as jewelry not as something functional. Apple watch isnt a status symbol either considering its so cheap compared to real jewelry watches. There isnt a market for it outside of apple sheep.

this
also people who do , do it for accessory they wouldnt like a shitty looking watch and have to charge it daily

>iPhones start at 800-900
>I-I mean the most expensive model of it, yeah you should know that's what I meant!
There's no digging you out of that grave, buddy.

Also the 16 GB is a shit choise because they won't allow expandable storage. When you want to save a lot of stuff in your phone you just get a 128 GB card. Yes, the phone plays videos and audio smoothly from there. Even applications aren't getting a bottleneck because phones support microSD-HC. It's so simple and effective. Now there's a Feature™ you can proudly list in tech specs.

Fitbit approach makes more sense.

They recognized people don't wear traditional watches for function, so they concentrated on making a wearable sensor in a watch form instead of trying to put apps on the watch.

>What went wrong?
someone thought it was a good idea to make a iPhone watch

So you like having a locked down phone where you can only modify 5% of all possible settings?

What's great is they really aren't even that great for their purpose. My roommate has the Blaze (the newer one most like a smartwatch) and since hes a personal trainer I know he's put it through its paces. The pedometer isn't great for anything besides treadmill type movement, and the heart rate reader has been hit and miss.

Still a step up from my G Watch R fitness tracking by a mile, but that's not really saying much

At least it didn't cost $600.

300 version is for the plebs but that's the starting price. They do have options costing ten times as much if not more too for the rich kids.

Well, perhaps I am just not obsessed by getting messages in the very same moment. If you expect something important, you will carry your phone with you. If it's not important, who gives a fuck if you get it couple minutes or hours later? Sounds unnecessary stressful.

And stress is bad, mkay?

Well, let me rephrase it then, "non plebeian, non SE version of the iPhone starts with 800-900"

>Also the 16 GB is a shit choise because they won't allow expandable storage.
That was my point... hence this phones are meant for companies, poor people and mothers.

>Even applications aren't getting a bottleneck because phones support microSD-HC.
That's bullshit. Sure, they are fine for media playback but it's given that you will have slower loading times for apps than NVMe storage.

>People who drop over 300 bucks on a watch, don't tend to have poordroid phones
$300 is cheap for a watch, if you weren't poor, you'd know this.

>Slightly better than a regular watch because of the added functionality
It will have zero functionality without an external power source.

Give me a name of an application that is or would be uncomfortably slow, perhaps even unusable from external memory, and you might have a slim chance in justifying a lack of an important feature. It shouldn't be a weird exception though, one which you would seperately choose to install in device storage for maximum performance. Hint: maybe something over 16 GB so it's even impossible to install without a big storage. That situation would definitely require a large internal storage.

Maybe the mobile app developers also make all their shit gigantic and heavy, because that's how they secure the most userbase. What's that, apps are so light that they work from external memory as well? Boy, is my face red. Who would have the known?

>would be uncomfortably slow,
This depends entirely on your experience and expectations. If you were to use a flagship from 2012 after having to deal with a slow ass budget phone from two years ago, the flagship will feel amazing. If you compare it to a flagship from 2015, it'd be shit. If you compare the flagship from 2015 with an iFruit phone, it'd be shit too.

Unusable does have an objective line. It's when you are unable to use it. Uncomfortably slow can have a sliding scale but let's say it's something that is not totally unusable but clearly uncomfortable no matter who you ask. After that maybe something a little more "minority whining", where it's clearly usable and some people might even let it slide but a lot of people (maybe 20% of all) still find it bad. After that maybe something that everyone you ask are fine with but some hipster needs to feel like an emperor and keeps whining even though it can almost only be seen with special equipment and has no functionality impact at all.

Which of these categories can have an app listed in them? Of course it should be measured with flagships only so the storage is the only bottleneck in the test.

speaking as someone who owns an apple watch, there are numerous problems:

1) it's too fucking slow - other than telling the time, i can do things on my iphone by pulling it out of my pocket, unlocking it with touch id, using it, putting it to sleep, and putting it back quicker than i can launch apps and navigate around the UI mess on the watch most of the time. yes, this is a normal apple watch user experience.

2) apps are underwhelming and broken - a fair number of apps no longer work under the latest watchOS. the ones that do work are slow and have UI quirks that make them not such a good experience.

3) bad UI design - swiping in all directions to get at screens is atrocious because there's no sense of momentum to shuffling between screens. want to change a setting a tiny bit with the digital crown by turning it slightly/slowly? too bad, it only works smoothly for scrolling, not for changing most settings with precision. did i mention you need to force-touch on the screen to bring up hidden properties in most cases? and there's a button on the side that brings up a shitty friends list? and that the most intuitive UI innovation of the iphone (the catch-all "home" button) doesn't work the way you'd expect it to on the watch, instead bouncing you between the clock, the app carousel, and apps? yeah. the app carousel is an unusable piece of shit too.

4) it doesn't know whether it wants to be its own platform or not - you need an iphone to use it properly, but they made the decision that you should be able to use it for some things without an iphone attached. you'd think this would be good, but it's not. since apps have to run independent of the iphone, they can't take advantage of its processing power. they have to run on the shitty restrictions of the watch processor, which takes ages to launch even the simplest apps. what apple should've done is just make the watch run as a remote second display for the iphone and cut out all the platform-building horseshit.

Basically, Jobs would not have let Apple Watch out the door at this state.

This. Same goes for Android.

ran out of space to type.

5) poor touch controls - get used to frequently mis-tapping on anything that's not a large button (and this is on the larger of the two watches, god only knows how bad it is on the small version). especially using the crappy app carousel.

6) siri is worthless - not much to say on this point, so just refer to the image.

7) entry-level "sport" watch scratches too easily - that's right, this is the cheap glass they use on the ipod touch line, so set sail for a ton of scratches and chips since it's exposed on your wrist.

8) "sport" watch doesn't work underwater - hope your exercise regimen doesn't include any swimming!

9) horrendous battery life - yes you'll be charging it every night, just like your iphone. don't expect to use it much during the day either, and since it has its own proprietary charger, don't expect to charge it during the day with any of the multitude of charge cables you already own.

10) software bugs - there is actually a setting in the Watch app on the iphone to clear the calendar sync information and resync from the phone, because it glitches out so often.

in short, steve jobs would have fired whoever was responsible for this monstrosity. definitely not an apple-quality product, and they better get their shit together with the next watchOS.

Nothing went wrong.

The new one is coming out soon.