I have a question Sup Forums

>2000
>people can tell good processors by how many mhz it has
>2007
>people recognize a good processor by how many cores it has also ghz.
>2016

How do I tell what is a good processor nowadays? Apparently cores mean jackshit now.

Other urls found in this thread:

cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Same thing as in 2007. Unless you're doing specialized work or building a workstation or something crazy or you're looking for absolute bleeding edge, a 4th-5th gen i5 will do everything you need it to.

IPC is a consistent way to determine the processing power of CPUs that still use modern techniques of computing.

>Good Processor
>Intel
i7 for video editing and workstations
i5 for gaming
i3 for productivity and browsing.

Architecture, cores and frequency.

>2016
>people recognize a good processor based on whether it's Named Intel (good) or AMD (Shit)

you look up benchmarks desu. it's always been that way really.

Is AMD really dead, or are you memeing me?

By letting people buy all the ones in the market - test them trough intense shit, post results in a centralized system ( usually 1 - 2 websites that they use ) - compare there.

Buy based on your needs / price.

That's the advantage of literally having 7 billion people on earth - enough retards do to retarded shit and for you to benefit by using the data provided.

AMD been dead, there really only used for budget builds even then I would prefer a low end i3 over a an AMD chip because i could always upgrade in the future to an i5 or i7

Architecture, then feature set, cores and clock frequency.

Meaningless, vague horse shit. Good enough for superficial comparisons within a single family, however.

This

Get a socket 115X board and call it a day. Then you have your selection of everything from a Celeron all the way up to the highest end i7.

They are obviously shilling.

Cores + clock speed still works. I'm on a pair of Xeon X5355s. 8 cores at 2.6 GHz. Feels good man

I'm really curious what those get in something like Cinebench. Can they even stack up to a modern Intel quad core?

It's all about performance/watt

>2000
>people can tell good processors by how many mhz it has
bullshit. how fucking young are you ? never wondered why the athlon xp 3000+ had 2.2 ghz and was crushing the 3ghz p4 ?

>how fucking young are you ?

ok, sorry, seems like you just have no idea what you are talking about

>Is it Intel?
Good
>is it AMD?
Shit

You don't.
You just buy the most possible cores at the cheapest price.

TB_EH you just get a multiprocessor motherboard and roll with it.

My last PC was a laptop with an i7-2670QM (hyper threaded quad, 2.2GHz) and this workstation blows right through tasks that my laptop struggled with while boiling my balls. I haven't benched my PC yet, but I'll probably do that later. Also in Windows I can OC them to 3.2GHz with zero problems via setfsb.

If you're buying right now, yes, AMD is pretty much dead, unless you're doing multicore work on the cheap (like encoding, audio/ video editing, etc) and they will be until Zen releases in late 2016/ early 2017.

Zen is supposedly going to compete with high end Intel, however, according to everything we know, it's not going to be some flat blowout.

Just do what I'm doing, get yourself a good i5, skip the 1st Zen release, and wait it out until we can see what Zen+ does/ Intel's response.

You just look up some benchmark that suits your needs. GHz and cores don't mean shit these days.

Old meme. i7 will get increasingly more used in games from this point on.

>GHz and cores don't mean shit these days.
but they do. at least to people who work on their pcs, instead of playing games

it has either i5 or i7 printed on it, unless you are strapped for cash then it will have Pentium on it

>he thinks an i5 will cut it in the scorpio/neo era
Laff.

You wish.

The point is that it all depends on your needs. You can't just say CPU 1 is better than CPU 2. A 6700K seems to be a lot better than a 6320 on first sight, but it's very easy to find tasks in which the 6320 easily beats the 6700K (mostly tasks that are not multithreaded).

autism benchmarks

>athlon xp 3000+ had 2.2 ghz and was crushing the 3ghz p4

I'm gonna assume you meant Athlon 64 because there is now way an Athlon XP can match one of the latest Pentium 4, not even Barton.

But getting a Pentium 4 C or better back then was like buying an i7 today, unnecessary and fucking expensive.

Now the first Pentium 4 (mostly Willamete) were actual pieces of shit worse than the Athlon XP.

Neither Mhz nor cores has ever been the only indication to whether a CPU was good or not. And it never will be.

Just because you're a fucking retard, doesn't mean people have ever judged CPUs by only those means.

the only good proc is a 2500k

The big meme these days is efficiency since CPU tech has officially plateau'd.

Cooling is really the only thing that matters now. Without good cooling, even a slow processor won't be able to maintain full performance for long.

virtualization features :^)

Kaby Lake is all about muh efficiency.

If the circuit was hand designed or generated from a hardware description language.

i know people say they dont mean anything but whats the most useful benchmark to compare cpus?

cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

>i7-2670QM
That was pretty beast back in the day. Can't expect a 45w laptop CPU to not boil your nuts off, though.

>it's not going to be some flat blowout.
Hopefully it will give a good price/performance over Intel, forcing them to lower prices for once. It's good for everyone.

whether it's Named Intel (good) or AMD (Shit)

Sounds like a pretty accurate way to judge given that AMD has worse IPC now than Core Duos did several years ago. All of AMD's products are junk that they have to overclock to breaking point to be even remotely usable (drawing too much power and creating too much heat in the process).

The only things they have going for them are being cheap and having some decent integrated graphics (and Intel has put out a bunch of cheap processors like the anniversary Pentium that out-perform AMD's and Intel will probably have better integrated graphics soon, too).

Zen had better be a massive success or AMD are done.

Tifa?!

>Sounds like a pretty accurate way to judge given that AMD has worse IPC now than Core Duos did several years ago
They used to have worse IPC
Now it's a little bit better than the first gen i-series chips.

>Stocks gone up 28% in two weeks.
>RX480 a huge hit and investors are confident in the approaching Zen chips.
>AMD are done
okay kid

Don't bother, the intel shills on this board can't into business and are devoid of all logic.

>Now it's a little bit better than the first gen i-series chips.
except than an i5-750 has slightly over 15% better floating point performance than an fx-9590 with an absurd clock speed~

they're still inbetween yorkfield and nehalem in IPC, initially managing to fall not insignificantly behind their own Deneb in bulldozer 1.0, which gives you a clue at how fruitless optimizing that dog of an architecture was and why they're so far behind.

I have an RX 480 nitro 8gb on pre order but lets not take stock prices as an indicator of how well the products of a company benefit the end user.

I am dreading the day it borks and I have to return it to Hungary after the 1 year of retailer handled warranty is done.

It's Amada.

It's a non-question now

Just buy a decent i5.

what?

The general consumer is gobbling up the RX480 because it's a great card for the value, it beats NVIDIA's answer to it in price per fps.

There is a ton of Ethereum GPU Mining Farms buying up the RX480 in huge numbers because of the low power draw and good hashrate.

In some places, in areas of Europe it's trickier. For example in the UK to get a non reference 8gb rx 480 it's a minimum of £240 and the nitro's cooling isn't doing too much wonders.

There are more non reference two fan 1060's for £240 and from more reputable companies.

Depends on your uses, for gaming, get intel hands down, I myself am building an 8350 rig because its dirt cheap and I can get 32GB of ram and edit video/vitrualize things.

m -moar hardware tans?

You're completely ignoring the value aspect. You get more performance per $ than you do with Intel.

Using the same logic you could say everyone should buy Lamborghinis and Ferraris because they make faster cars than Ford or Honda.

>i7 for video editing and workstations
Get a Xeon dipshit