Is 32GB of RAM overkill? Why?

Is 32GB of RAM overkill? Why?
And what does MHz have to say when buying RAM?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_latency
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

There's no such thing as overkill. The faster and bigger is better.

Thanks for complimenting my car and my dick.

I'll buy 2x8GB 2666MHz, then two more if I need it later.

has anyone ever complained about too much ram?

The poorfags do

some faggots on Sup Forums:
>unused ram is wasted ram

People that don't have it.

Kind of like how poor people who don't own businesses complain about Capitalism.

Not the owner of the ram.

That's ideal for a Skylake system

got 16gb because I thought it was enough. now I wonder if I buy more because of vm box

How much memory do the Scorpio and Neo have? That will pretty much tell you the requirement as far as gaming goes.

Would this satisfy my sexual needs?

What is the difference between 1600-2666MHz and CL10-CL15?

I don't know about your sexual needs, but a Fleshlight might be the better option for that.

Concerning the hardware: ROG stuff is a waste of money, get a Z170 Pro Gaming instead.

As overall bandwidth increases, so does the latency

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_latency

what scandinavian language is that?

I got carried away building my new skylake pc and bought 64gb. desu I feel like an idiot

>Z170 Pro Gaming
Literally just bought one of these yesterday.
Glad to know it's a meme, and I made the right decision.

To be honest I'd rather have fast ram with tight timings, than a shitton of it (more than 16gb)

>2666mhz

go look up ddr4 speed tests
3200 is the sweet spot, frequency matters.

Stupid question, but how do you tighten timings on RAM? Is it similar to overclocking?

Also, what can/ will go wrong when you do this?

I don't know if you can actualy do something about it manualy.

Some sticks are just designed with lower CAS latency.

Make a Ramdisk

RAM is good, you need it for computing

I swore I read something about doing this yesterday, but didn't have time to research. I think it was in a review of the mobo in actually

at least you wont have a problem moving files around

RAM DRIVE
A
M
D
R
I
V
E

Yes, me. I bought a laptop w/ 32g of ram and a 500g ssd. I'll let you figure out how much of swap you need to suspend / hibernate. And I dualboot to windows, so there's mah page file.

do
If you edit video, put your current project on it (if it'll fit. You can prob afford to make at least a 32GB RAMdisk), while you work, and once it's done, move it.

You'll thank me later.

RAM costs electricity to run and creates heat. Denser RAM is more vulnerable to corruption and attacks like rowhammer.

I saw that 3000 was the sweetspot after this the performance droped

why the hell do you have 96gb ram.

Probably a server

>implying

VMs and VM accessories.
I need more than 64GB, but not enough to warrant another two sticks for 128GB (yet).

Danish

Norwegian :)

For computing. It's good.

My next purchase will be two 16GB sticks at 3200 MHz, CL14.

I say

I had 8Gb of ddr3-1600mhz CL8 ram when I first built my PC as ram was kind of expensive at the time and nothing really used more than 8GB. Then some games started hitting the market that would bitch if you had only 4GB and I figured it was only a matter of time before it started doing the same to 8GB systems. So I grabbed an exact copy of the kit I had and moved up to 16GB.
Now I'm on a ddr4, platform and have 32GB of ddr4-2400mhz CL14 that cost me the same amount of money as the 16GB did in the past.

Ram is first cheap now a days and hurts nothing to have excess ram. I always went for lower speed ram with lower latency because XMP always just worked right out of the box. Where as the super OC edition kits had a 50/50 chance of not working.

Stability>speed imo.

Actually, you'll find wealthy people like hipster faggots at Starbucks with their apple products and big expensive cars support communism the most.

Excess RAM is never wasted. Modern OSes take advantage of it and cache the filesystem in it.

ironic, that it actually fits the hipster's style of being ironic

Do you have more exhaust fans than intake ones?

RAM prices are cheap enough to make that a good investment, senpai.

Honestly, yeah, it is overkill.

I did upgrade to 32GB recently when I was doing a minor upgrade when I got my 1080 in. Only reason I even got it is the RAM I wanted was dirt cheap at the time for 16GB kits and I wanted to max out my RAM slots.

I think the max I have ever seen used is 12GB. Granted, I don't do a lot of video work, so that does make a difference (I do a lot more gaming/remote desktop/virtual machines).

OP here. Will this do? I have a 760W PSU, GTX 1070 and 240GB SSD now, so this is an upgrade.

I do a lot of graphic designing and video editing with Photoshop and After Effects. I currently have 16GB, but will I notice any difference?

MSI Z170's have sketchy ram support, just make sure it supports the ram you have bought by checking the mobo's site

they usually have a list of compatible ram

Thank you!
It's on the list, so it should work out fine!

why not get 2x16GB ? they are the same price, and less sticks = lower power usage. Also easier to sell in the future.

Alright, but I still don't get the concept of MHz and CL15/CL14. What do you recommend?

You absolutely can tighten the RAM timings on most midgrade consumer boards, and well as upclock the frequency. You will not gain a major advantage doing this unless you are pushing maximum load in everyday use. However, if you like overclocking, it's a fun little two-hour side project. Certainly doesn't hurt.

32GB of RAM is absolutely overkill for everyday consumer use. I have a gaming PC that runs a Plex server in the background with 16GB, and even with that I rarely go above 75% usage.

MHz is pretty straightforward; the more MHz the RAM, the more cycles per second it will run. Obviously, faster is better, however note that DDR4 will typically have looser timings than slower-clocked DDR3. I.E., the although the clock cycles faster, it will take more cycles to fulfill a particular request. You can divide the clock speed by the TRAS (last number of the RAM timings) for a decent back-of-an-envelope estimation at how many requests the RAM can fulfill per second.

Depends on your usage. You can easily find out how much RAM you use when doing intensive stuff. As the saying goes: unused ram is wasted ram

MHz is how many cycles the RAM performs per second. RAM basically works by selecting a row of memory, then a column within that row, then reading the information stored at that address. CL (first timing number) is how many cycles the RAM allows to read a bit of memory from the row it has already accessed. TRAS (last timing number) is how may cycles the RAM allows to access a bit of memory from a location in a different row and column. TRAS is a better estimator of overall RAM speed for consumer applications.

Short answer is no, not at all.

But I can just download more ram if I need to, right?

your ram speed is going to be limited by your upload speeds, bub

Link? I want more RAM

Alright, thank you guys! I will order this now, for a total of $1063.