SWAP

>32GB of ram
>ppl still tell me that I need swap
>they have 8GB and 4GB swap

are they retarded?

OK enough shitposting, I dont use swap since 2008 when I got 6GB of ram

ppl told me that eventually I will run into issues.

FUCK OF! 8 years no issues !!! not a single problem because of turned off swap.

when will swap fucks learn?

i have 8GB of RAM and 512MB of SWAP on my SSD but i cant fill my ram even if i open all of my programs+games

I don't know, Mr. Poo.

SWAP = RAM*2+512MB

anything else is a memesize

not everyone uses a computer like you do

> • Memory: Physical: 30.6 GiB Total (2.4 GiB Free) Swap: 31.2 GiB Total (25.0 GiB Free)

24 GB ram on thinkpad. Run three virtual machines, chrome with three windows and 10+ tabs each, multiple servers, an SMS tile server, torrents, and much more. No swap.

I have 8 GB of RAM on my laptop that I dual boot windows 7 and kubuntu. I set up a swap partition but do I even need it? Can Ubuntu function without it?

What the hell are you doing? Just buy more RAM, swapping is for chumps.

>32 GB RAM
>32 GB RamDisk for swap

>tfw fell for the 16gb ram meme

a-at least i don't need swap

>swap on ssd

Absolutely, swap is a hold over from the old days, you don't need that shit. It doesn't hurt, but you don't need it at all.

swap.avi

>chrome with three windows and 10+ tabs each
I see you're a gangster. I'm pretty gangster myself.

Swap is a meme, you don't need it these days

Explain

Eh, nobody is forcing you. For the rest of us it's nice.

Why the fuck are you even complaining? You probably have have 1TB+ of disk space and cry about 8GB?
It's not even difficult to partition, format and assign swap?

>Why doesn't everyone else use a computer like I do.
>Why do other people use their computers for more things than I do.
>People should only want to use the programs that I think they should use
>Waaaaaahh, it's not fair.

I honestly don't believe that you can open all your games and not chew through 8gb memory, what games are you talking about solitaire?

I have 8gb, no games and frequently move into swap territory. Again, if you don't need it, bully for you. Nobody is shitposting about people who don't use swap.

doesn't the chrome cancer eat away at the CPU at some point?

are you poor? RAM is always better than SWAP

your SSD is going to be worn out much quicker with the high amount of read and writes as a swap drive.

Nope. You can use the chrome task manager to see if there are any tabs that are using cpu. For me, almost all of them are at 0% except the tab you are viewing. Of course, the exception is when the website is doing some processing (webgl apps, etc).

I have 8 GB of RAM, didn't bother making a swap partition because I figured I could always make a swap file later if needed. Went with btrfs, now I can't make a swap file, but I haven't had any problems. Fuck swap.

>I dont use swap since 2008
Nice Engrish.

I have 8 GB an no swap. No problems ever.

People just repeat stupid shit they heard

I already disabled the swap file when I had 1GB of RAM and Windows 2000
If you know how much RAM you will be using it's no problem

i haven't had pagefile on since i first got 4gb of ram
i don't run a lot of taxing programs and i don't play video games (cause im not 12:)

You do realize that just because you have 1 gig of ram, that doesn't mean you will get to use all the 1 gig of ram at any given time which is why you need a swap file right?

Do you people even know how computers work?

You sure do type like you are 12.

What?

better than swap on a hard drive that is far less reliable.

i'm on 16GB and I have to use swap to run Photoshop and Illustrator simultaneously.
you probably can disable swap for average home PC

>not having 64GB of RAM
>not having a tmpfs to hold all your browser cache and temp files

everything is better in RAM

I really hope you are joking. Are you a java programmer?

Memory is not magic.

If we have 10 mb of ram and we execute 3 programs that use 3 mb of ram each, we have 9 mb of ram in use, and it can look like this

OOOOOOOOOX

O is occupied memory and X is not occupied memory.

Let's say we stop the second program, we get this.

OOOXXXOOOX

Now we have 4 mb free, so we start a 4 mb long program, and there is no actual space for it to execute, so what we should do is move some OOO to the page file to make room, but you fucked that ability by getting rid of it so you get to buy more ram.

i bought cheapest and smallest ssd on the market specifically for swap after my hdd died because i was keeping swap on it before.
I know that swap killed it since I wasn't writing anything else on it for a couple of years.

Idiot

Ah, I get it now
That's true, but most programs don't really allocate huge amounts of memory at once so fragmentation tends to be non-issue
Also I have more than I need so I never have 90+% memory usage anyway

P.S. I'm a C# user

don't listen to that retard/troll, read up on virtual memory and paging to see why.

you're using photoshop on linux?