Is GSYNC on a monitor worth it? it costs around 200$ extra. I play games like Overwatch, Diablo etc

Is GSYNC on a monitor worth it? it costs around 200$ extra. I play games like Overwatch, Diablo etc

Other urls found in this thread:

bestbuy.com/site/acer-g7-series-25-ips-led-hd-monitor-black/5515017.p
asus.com/us/Monitors/MG279Q/
amzn.com/B01771PINS
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_FreeSync
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>I play games
144hz > 1440p > 120hz > gsync/freesync > 4k > 1080p > 60hz

It's worth it when it's called FreeSync.

it literally only eliminates screen tearing. that's it.

>xb270hu, pg279q, s2716dg user

Both monitors im thinking about are 144hz+, 1440p, IPS. (PG279Q & MG279Q).

The only difference is Gsync vs non Gsync, and the difference costs about 200$. Worth it or not?

This.
Get a 144hz.

>144hz+
>IPS.

Pick one and only one. 144hz 1ms are TN only. There are VA panels, but they are shit.

And Gsync is not worth it.

I bought a Freesync monitor and barely ever enable the feature. It seems like too much hassle to go into the monitor's menu and enable it for a slight improvement in image quality.

It is also annoying that you cannot enable it when the game is running, you have to exit to windows, enable it, and restart the game. I play FPSs that require full 144hz which is why I don't leave Freesync enabled all the time.

People will tell you that it's magic and makes 30 fps feel like 60fps. They're lying to you. It still stutters. It gets rid of screen tearing and that's it.

I wish I would have gotten an ultra wide instead of a gsync monitor

Freesync for me is enabled 100% of the time. I just have to click box once per install of windows in the crimson driver setup.

you expected anything else?

here

pic related.

Oops, just reread. I guess your monitor doesn't support up to 144hz freesync like mine does.

pardon my ignorance but from what I've heard about it, aside from eliminating tearing altogether if within the sync range, doesn't it also make gameplay appear "smoother" when at lower framerates? for example a 60hz monitor will refresh 60 times a second but if you are only getting 45 fps in-game 15 of those frames will stay on the screen for longer than 1/60th of a second since the monitor doesn't always immediately have a new frame to display and thus is forced to duplicate the last received one until it gets one. this translates to "stuttering" but with adaptive sync it's allegedly fixed and you can have 'fluid' motion since you no longer have to display duplicate frames. I've also heard people say that this makes minor framerate spikes such as 60 to 55 to 58 to 53 and back to 60 unnoticeable as a result.

this is all conjecture and based on things that I've only heard about adaptive sync, I'm not sure how to verify if it's true aside from using a monitor with it myself, but this is the main thing thing that I'm interested in since screen tearing doesn't bother me that much because I usually play with vsync on and I prefer maxing games over getting framerates >75 on my 980 ti. I currently have an overclocked Korean 1440p monitor running at 75hz but would it be worth it for me to get a new one with G-Sync?

>that's it

Why would you pay that much money for a high end GPU and then settle for screen tearing which instantly makes any game look ugly as fuck?

Isn't that what v-sync is for?

gsync is fucking amazing, go for it.

There isn't any screen tearing with vsync on 120hz+ monitors.

if youre not a poor faggot might as well get it m8

i have it and i absolutely love it

bestbuy.com/site/acer-g7-series-25-ips-led-hd-monitor-black/5515017.p
>$200
>IPS
>1440
want this so bad but can't live without VESA mount.
fuggggg.
how hard would it be to take apart the shell and jerry rig a vesa mount on there?

don't tell me you fucker don't know how to change the EDID

GOD WHY ARE SO FUCKING TECHNOLOGY ILITERATE PEOPLE ALLOWED ON THIS BOARD

it doesn't only eliminate screen tearing but also input lag caused by vsync

approved

Why dont you have an AMD gpu. Free sync adds nothing or next to nothing to the cost

I want 144hz and 1440p but don't want to be stuck with a TN.

I've no interest in super competitive level twitch shooting, I'm best off sticking with an IPS, but I want a high refresh rate, what can I do?

you and me both senpai

What are we stuck with on an IPS then? 120hz max?

I mean, there are some.

asus.com/us/Monitors/MG279Q/

Does this also come in 24? I passionately hate big monitors.

G-Sync is a scam, have fun being stuck in that eco system.

Unfortunately, I don't think so.

because they are shit

Maybe one of these could fit? amzn.com/B01771PINS

How does Freesync affect Nvidia cards?

Does it include them both, unlike GSync?

I just want to point that TN 1ms is a meme. These monitors usually have two response time modes, normal and fast. To achieve 1ms, you have to select the fast mode, which introduces considerable ghosting. It's a marketing ploy - luckily, normal mode average responde time is still pretty fast, anyway between 2-3ms. But still, IPS 4-6ms > TN "1" ms

freesync is not for nvidia cards m8o .. dont do it

Gsync or just get a regular monitor

It's my understanding that it has no effect. Freesync is currently incompatible with NVIDIA cards.

27 isnt even that big dude .. i have that monitor

its so fucking cash.

Not him, but which one do you have? I got the AOC 2460PF, and I'm pretty happy with it. 144hz with Freesync enabled is pretty fucking great. The colors are somewhat washed out due to being TN panel, but I got it sort of fixed by messing with color profiles in Windows, everything is good but the darker blacks.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_FreeSync
"FreeSync is royalty-free, free to use, and has no performance penalty."

It works on Nvidia cards, if Nvidia made it work, which they could, but won't, because they get a cut of those extra $200 that manufacturers charge for Gsync enabled monitors. There was even a few monitors out there that could be changed to have Gsync work on them, even though they weren't advertised as having it.

I've just assembled my first super expensive rig and I'm hoping to get the most out of it.

The last thing I've got on my list to get is a monitor, I'm still using an old 1920x1080 POS and I'm kind of pulling my hair out figuring what to burn my cash on next.

I'm not fussed with the 4ms respond time, I don't realistically know how to compare 144hz with what I have and I'm more focused on the graphical side of things.

Should I stick with a nice, curved IPS monitor and stop worrying about refresh rates and hertz etc?

That's precisely what I mean by "currently incompatible".

It would be the other way around then.

>Freesync is currently incompatible with NVIDIA cards.
Should be
Nvidia cards are currently incompatible with Freesync.

Ah, that's true. Thanks for the correction.

Ask yourself: Do you play FPS shooters or anything that requires fast reactions and twitchy movements? Do you sit at your computer for very long time periods, and does it make your eyes uncomfortable? If the answer is yes to any of those questions, then 144hz might be useful to you.

If not, don't bother, get a good IPS screen for cheaper.

Alright thanks, looks like it's IPS for me.

Anything I have to consider when deciding which one to get?

In my opinion, go with a 1440p IPS screen, if you can shell out a bit more for one with a VESA mount, you'll love it. Shouldn't be much more expensive than $200, if I'm not mistaken. As for size, 24 or 27 inches, whatever you prefer. Curved screens are a meme for desktops, honestly, but it's up to you. Avoid Korean/Chinese brands if you don't want dead pixels, and you're golden.

Not him, but I really want an IPS screen, but I also like how 144Hz looks. I'm still trying to justify the huge price though.

This right here

There are 2 monitor I'm looking at buying, both 1440p 144hz IPS screens but one has freesync and the other gsync. Both are at the same price and your current GPU is a Gtx 1070. However you probably want to upgrade in the future (Gtx 1080 ti, Vega etc). Do I forgo gsync right now knowing that I can purchase an AMD GPU or do I go gsync?

it also reduces input lag and makes the game overall smoother. games literally look like those 60fps webms.

>4ms respond time

there is literally no noticeable difference in modern monitors