Why haven't you switched to pure Unix yet, Sup Forums? It's so fucking COMFY

Why haven't you switched to pure Unix yet, Sup Forums? It's so fucking COMFY.

>distrofags on suicide watch

Other urls found in this thread:

9gridchan.org/9grid_node_img
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

it's just black

just like your wife's son

>bash cd code
I see what you did there.

DELET THIS

Lol what a angry nigga

But UNIX is deprecated. POSIX > UNIX.

is it bait? are you special? are you lost? posix isnt an operating system, its a standard. christ man, lurk more

>UNIX isn't a standard
>Being this confused

Because Plan9 exists which is the much improved version of Unix.

who said unix was a standard? according to wikipedia, its a family of operating systems originating from at&t's unix. according to wikipedia, posix is a standard for operating systems. yeah, im pretty confused. can you explain to me what you thought those terms meant?

i wish i wasnt too pussy to try it, god damn its enticing. have you installed it, whats the process like? gentoo, arch, or ubuntu style? im thinking i could get it running on an rpi 2, finally a use for it

>its a family of operating systems
So basically... Like something used as a measure, norm, or model in comparative evaluations?

Actually people don't usually install Plan9 on metal - even the hardcore. Most people will use plan9 from userspace on Linux which ports all of plan9 to Linux, or it can be virtualized with qemu/kvm.

Installation is very easy - in fact Plan9 enjoyed a popularity boom on Sup Forums and I think all the stuff is still up.

9gridchan.org/9grid_node_img

We used to have a lot of fun sharing Stallman images on venti servers. Really the site I linked you to has a LOT of good resources for the average Sup Forumsuy when it comes to Plan9.

I've tried it on a vm once. The installation was really straight forward.
It's text based, but they just make you choose some options and there's not that much to set up, because the systems is rather small in general. So the installation is not the problem here.
I wouldn't recommend plan9 as a main OS though, because it doesn't have a lot of things you'd expect from a modern OS. It doesn't even have a web browser. It's only interesting if you want to see how the Unix people developed and enhanced their original ideas.
And there is the nice plan9port which is a collection of plan9 tools ported to unix-like systems. So that's also an option if you want to get the plan9 experience.

>It doesn't even have a web browser.
What is abaco then mate?

im looking at 9front, is it like enhanced plan9? i plan to install it to rpi metal, i dont want linux involved in this yknow? theres something special about not using any of the three big guys in system software, each with their own quirks. this is one who's quirk is its reason for existing, its very different. i will be sure to read everything on that page, i also went through all of what 9front (and uriel) had to offer online a few months ago when i just found out what it was.
web browser would be convenient, is it clean or a relentless memory hog like every other browser? i guess that doesnt matter, there arent many choices on plan9 lmao

uriel considered harmful, even he couldn't ignore it any more

More like a suite or brand/grouping of various operating systems that all share a common core. Much like GNU + Linux.

That's a very basic web browser.
I don't think it can even display any javascript content.

Lets see...

Solaris 9 on a Sun Ultra 40
Irix 6.7 on an R10K O2

Yeah I think I'm good.

Because Portage is the best Ports-like system. Why are fanboys so insecure that they give a shit about what software other people use?

ty op

I am using Unix: OpenBSD is very comfy.