Sailfish OS

How easy/difficult is it to make .apk Android apps run on a Jolla phone?

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.jolla.com/early-access-sailfish-os-2-0-2-aurajoki/
youtube.com/watch?v=6Niu7u1Jo6Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

is jolla/sailfish still a thing?

Pretty simple really
>Copy .apk over using USB
>Open .apk using a file browser of your choice
>Install app
>The android app now works like any other app

A new beta of the OS came out a few days ago and a new device just started shipping (with another to follow soon) so it's not dead yet.

You just get the apk and click and it will be installed.
There's also android apk store apps for jolla but I would not trust them.

How about messaging apps like Viber, WeChat, LINE? Are there any issues with those?

And I think that there is a native WhatsApp app there, if I am not mistaken, so that should work right away.

Don't use any of them, but I hear WhatsApp works completely fine so they probably work just fine.

Cool, what's new? My device bricked for the second time back in February, so I gave up on it and went back to Android

Oh and I'm referring to the Android version of WhatsApp.

Good to see that Sailfish isn't dead. I might end up switching once it becomes stable enough.

Nothing groundbreaking I'm afraid, but there's still a whole lot of fixes and improvements all around.

Here's a rundown from the developer's blog:
blog.jolla.com/early-access-sailfish-os-2-0-2-aurajoki/

>new device just started shipping

wut

I've used it since January and it's been completely stable for me. I literally haven't had a single problem that wasn't related to the android app support not being 100%.

I plan to install Sailfish on my phone once it gets dual SIM support.

Do the phones have support for US T-Mobile LTE bands?

I've wanted to try Sailfish for a while, but my GS3 Verizon edition has no community ports.
Hopefully there'll be a keyboarded device that can run Sailfish before my BB Q10 kicks the bucket. Might end up with a N900 :/

Do android apps get updated?

It's a partner device, they stopped making their own devices.

It's called the Intex SailFish and there's an official version of it without the Intex stuff called the Jolla C. It was available for pre-order and the first batch started shipping out last week.

The other device I was talking about is the Turing Phone, which is supposed to have started shipping "evaluation devices" to pre-order customers a couple of weeks ago.

Google play auto updates
F-droid can update apps just like on Android
Apps you install manually require manual updates

it's just like on an Android phone

>Turing Phone
>The Turing Phone is built with a pioneering material called Liquidmorphium™, an amorphous “liquid metal” alloy

The Jolla C (a.k.a Intex SailFish) supposedly supports LTE bands 1, 3, 7 and 20 while the original Jolla phone supports bands 3, 7 and 20. However I'm not sure which bands are used in the U.S.

Looks like it has Skype, Messenger, and WhatsApp on it, perhaps even pre-loaded.

Intex Aqua Fish is the name of the device in picture.

This fine gentleman from Calcutta, India explains how Android apps work on Sailfish.

youtube.com/watch?v=6Niu7u1Jo6Q

are you a drug dealer

Every time I look at sailfish/jolla it gets better and better. Apparently they replaced all of the swipe shit? Might finally replace my android phone.

Do they still have a proprietary UI or whatever? I'd use an ubuntu phone but it doesn't have support for android apps aka lots of privacy and actually useful apps.

>Turing Phone

Looks like shit, to be honest, family. The OS runs really well on it, though.

What's the matter? Jelly because your thin aluminum iPhone is now a banana? :^)

>but I would not trust them
Why not? They are from legit-looking appstores, like Aptoid.

Sailfish? More like Failfish amirite?
I seriously hope you guys didn't fall for this meme. Where are you gonna get your phone fixed when these guys go out of business (which is just a matter of time)?

>using the smiley with a carat nose