Official retro Sup Forums thread

Official retro Sup Forums thread

continued from

Old tech is inferior tech. If you use inferior tech, then you are an inferior person.

Stale bait mate, but thanks for bumping.

best threads

>tfw your waifu is probably a 70 year old granny today

I wouldn't worry about it desu. There's millions of replacement parts around and you could also replace anything with an FPGA.

she's just "experienced" bruh

why just replace? just run the whole system in an FPGA
i mean its not emulation

>you'll never have one

Could be repaired with heating the chip externally?

I'm not an expert on that so I couldn't tell you. But it doesn't seem to me like it would.

My sister's husband lived in Japan in the early 90's and had one laying in his storage, I got it as a gift after I asked about it from him, that was like 15 years ago, but I sold it years ago, I'm not that interested in that kind of PCs.

moar p0rn

How? What's the use of more expansion ports if it only has 7 IRQ'?
Doesn't the 5150 itself already have enough ISA slots to possibly feed 7 IRQs?

So why of all retro computers, we rarely hear of anything but Commodore gear suffering component failures under normal use. The large majority of IC failures are caused by poor storage conditions (eg. sitting in a barn for 10 years), bad caps, or bad PSUs.

The early breadbox C64's cook themselves because of the shitty fabrication process used and the fact that it runs on 12V.
It's a couple of chips though, usually fixed by heatsinks.

Plus/4s have suffered far more than C64s for lack of replacement chips. :(

They will all suffer as time goes on.

>"An undesirable feature of the chip is its well-known tendency to destroy itself though overheating. To preserve a computer which employs this chip in working order, it is recommended to improve its cooling."

You can't make an FPGA?

The TED was one of the first HMOS ICs Commodore produced and they hadn't mastered the technology yet.

There exist things already like the Minimig and MIST that can run a bunch of cores for different chipsets and CPUs .
Also no, the original hardware will suffer, every piece will fail at one point and be harder to replace, hard to get old new stock items, etc.

Nobody is judging them, chill.

Old tech is inferior tech. If you use inferior tech, then you are an inferior person.

1 shekel has been deposited into your account.

>you will never daily drive a PA-RISC flagship

>I accidently PC and Amiga
>again

been there, done that

So, I had this great idea last night!

I want to make a 8-bit ISA card for use with the old 8088's, I'll put a RS-232 controller and a Raspberry Pi 3 (or Zero?)
It will be a stand alone way to telnet into the Pi from the 8088 without any extra fuzz, the Pi 3 also has Wifi and could store data/games.

What other ideas do you guys propose for my board? Floppy/IDE emulator? Network interface? I have the whole ISA slot.

It would be great for things like the one user is making a telnet server for the Sup Forums API.

please don't turn this into a shitposting war again family

you're going to tell me it was shit but I don't even care anymore

>please don't turn this into a shitposting war again family
Again? Not my fault if people like to shitpost.

I'd love to collect old computers but I never see any and I dont have the room for them so I just get hi-fi equipment, vhs and old games

this is fucking cool man

>not posting on Sup Forums from a PowerMac G4 w/ OS 9.2.1

>shitposting
shitposting is what keeps these threads alive in the first place
they would be out bumped by raspi and GPU threads in a hour

>not playing Quake glide with a Voodoo 2 PCI on your PowerMac G4 with OS 9.2.1
You could have at least bothered to fire up your G4 and not give some generic screenshot.

I have the ATi Rage 128 16MB. It's 1:20am, I'm not going to go get it from the loft.

Always thought it would be cool to implement something like that with the SBC acting as a webrender proxy (and telnet server) that you can connect to through an emulated ethernet interface.

Got an 800 MHz eMac with 9.2.2 right next to me, still looking for a 10.1.4 image for it so I can dualboot it.

>not shitposting from a C64

Awesome!
How's the telnet server going?

I got two G4's, ones a dual CPU one with a Radeon 9800 the other's a 500MHz one with a Rage 128 too.
Leopard and OS 9 dualboot.

eMacs are awesome, I have 4 OSes on it in multiboot.

fyi, qemu recently got support for running OS9

dat CDE mmmmm

how is this related?

QEMU could run OS 9 for years already with the modded OpenFirmware image, it just recently got "official support" for it.

think that one's actually running VUE, CDE's direct ancestor

it looks nicer than standard CDE if you ask me

Beautiful

moar p0rn

oh yeah it does. i love that old look so much. so many memories!

There's something about the aesthetics and the whole "reliable fleet shitbox" angle of it that really makes me like them even more than the regular iMacs. The display is also pretty nice, too.

What are you running on yours?

ok

On the eMac?
Tiger, Debian, MorphOS, OS 9

Nice, almost want to try a 10.1/9.2/BSD tri-boot but I've only got a 60 GB drive and my autism compels me to keep it stock.

Nice autism, I just upgrade and keep the old parts in a box, tagged.

I wouldn't worry about that happening in my lifetime, maybe my kids and grandkids though.

Nice to see one working breadbox and...you do have the stuff heat sinked, right?

I just changed the battery in an old Thinkpad today. Looked at some old diary entries and Simpsons smutfics I wrote when I was like 19-20. Wow, are those terrible and embarrassing to read.

But it will happen, some platforms and chips sooner than others.

>Also no, the original hardware will suffer, every piece will fail at one point and be harder to replace
As the other guy said, doesn't feel like it's very imminent. There's still tons of early semiconductor equipment out there in working shape.

How much of the existence of these threads can be attributed to Steins;Gate, do you think?

See

Never denied that, or intended to, but the process seems quite slow as it is.

Even chips made with the same fabrication process can be very different, some failed a few days after use, some will last longer the most of the others.

It seems like those kinds of duds generally fail fast in my own experience.

Dunno, I've rarely had issues that were directly related to the ICs themselves, solid state devices are generally quite reliable, especially newer surface-mounted components.

0%

But Steins;Gate was a good game. And Steins;Gate Zero should be getting an english release in about a month.

>

ne2000 compatible network interfaces?

Like I said, Commodore just used shitty manufacturing processes and a lot of their ICs failed when they were new out of the box. My dad knew a dude who bought a C64 that died and he bought a new one, put the dead machine in the box, took it back to the store, and claimed it was DOA when he got it. However, my dad had his C64 for 10 years without any trouble, so it probably depended a bit on luck. Sometimes a good batch of chips went into your particular machine, other times not.

Also Bil Herd claimed that Commodore tended to use too much boron in their chip fabrication which led to bad passivation and a runaway electromigration effect that caused brand-new ICs to self-destruct. The early PLAs made in 1982-83 were the worst and would almost die if you sneezed on them. He said the early 7xxx series chips (including the Plus/4 chipset) were also very prone to this problem, which under a microscope resembled an oozing purple slime.

How would I approatch that idea? FPGA? I think the raspy itself can't do it?

How long do you think that render took?

I should add--he got his in 1984. No clue when the other guy bought a C64 but it might have been earlier. By 84 they'd largely fixed the early teething problems with them.

A few seconds, they were extremely fast machines

Weren't you the guy in the last thread talking about how the breadboxes had shit thermal design or something? I've got a bunch of them and most of them at least start up, but I don't really use them often enough to really consider myself qualified to speak to their reliability.

I'd believe that though, one of my few IC-related failures was a Plus/4 that died the day after I bought it. Think it was the TED if I remember right.

Probably not as long as you'd think, since it doesn't look textured or anything. That 750 would have been pretty bitchin'.

Not the case, I said the ICs are prone to overheating because they use 12v power and weren't always made with the best manufacturing processes. They should have been heat sinked from day one, but they weren't and I'm not even sure if heat sinks even existed in the 80s. I've never heard of them anyway.

Oh, that's right.

To be autistic, there were heat sinks of course but I definitely doubt they were offering them for low-end 8 bits like that.

I think I might take you up on that recommendation though, if I can find some good sinks.

Get the ones used on old GPU cooling kits for the RAM chips.

Short board C64Cs are much better to have than the breadbin since they have HMOS chips with only 5v power. The only chips that get kinda warm are the VIC and SID, so you can heat sink those if you want but it's not as crucial as with the breadbin VIC and SID which get like a hot iron.

On the downside, short board C64Cs are far more common in Europe than the US.

I'm trying my best

Kek

I doubt anything but mini and mainframes had heat sinks back then. I've never heard of a consumer-level computer having them before the 486 era. You could look at any 286/386 board and there's no heat sinks anywhere to found.

There's plenty of discussion on Lemon64 about heat sinks. Generally speaking, it's necessary on the VIC, SID, and PLA, optional on the CPU and CIAs.

I had a 8088 from '82 with a 8087 and the 8087 had a heatsink.

8087s are notorious for their high heat output because this is a very dense chip with a lot of stuff under the hood, probably too much for period manufacturing. Intel initially had very low yields and IBM didn't actually offer them as an option on the PC until late 1982 even though the socket for the chip had been there from day one. The high heat output is also why the 8087 had a ceramic shell instead of plastic.

I mean, 80-bit registers in 1981? That was really pushing it.

The VIC-II particularly gets hot, but it also depends on what you're doing with it. For example, Mayhem in Monsterland is going to make it work harder than an Infocom adventure, especially since something like 75% of the chip die is devoted to sprites.

I know, I was just proving him wrong.
>I've never heard of a consumer-level computer having them before the 486 era.

C128 would be better for this because you get 80 column text and 2Mhz speed.

>consumer-level computer
>8087
8087 was not a consumer level you pleb

Early VIC-IIs had ceramic shells for thermal purposes but this was later switched to plastic.

Yeah you're right. There was no real need for an 8087 short of heavy duty spreadsheets or engineering/scientific work.

exactly

The PLA is probably the most failure-prone chip in a breadbox followed by the VIC-II. The SID can fail as well, but it's generally asymptomatic until you boot up a game and there's no sound.

I say, if you love it, put a heatsink on it.

It's as easy as that.

This was from a Vogons thread. The guy cleaned a very cruddy breadbin with dead spiders in it, but remarkably the thing was completely functional and had no busted ICs in it. He then heat sinked the CPU, VIC, SID, and PLA.

Thats even better

Didn't say it wasn't

C64Cs pretty rarely fail short of blown RAM from a bad PSU. Breadbins found in the wild have roughly a 50% failure rate.

It fucking hurts to see people ruining perfect machines, drilling holes and openings for custom switches and slots, fucking disgusting.

better than sitting on a shelf collecting dust

Just put them somewhere externally, no need to ruin the case.

hay guyz check out my retro family computer

Nice, too bad you actually don't own one.