I want to get into the audio game and I need me some new desk speakers...

I want to get into the audio game and I need me some new desk speakers. I don't do any editing or producing so I and because of that I don't want monitor speakers I would like a more colored sound. what would you guys recomend?

Other urls found in this thread:

media.soundonsound.com/sos/jun02/articles/monitors.asp
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bookshelf speakers

kef q100

You're better off coloring the sound yourself with an EQ than relying on whatever the manufacturer thinks sounds good, so I'd still suggest monitors with a flat freq response.

>I don't want monitor speakers I would like a more colored sound
It is pretty hard to not end up with colored sound, even with good monitor speakers. The bass is difficult to control, any flatness would be by accident.

Go on your local classifieds or prowl some swap meets for bookshelf speakers.
I would never buy new speakers.

I found a pair of infinity sm86 speakers that needed to be refoamed (refoam kit from ebay was like 18 bucks) for 25 bucks with a full sized infinity center channel speaker i added to my surround system.

The audiophile shits on the internet call these junk because they were "budget" options in the 90s, but they sound fantastic to me, and still cost a few hundred bucks back then.
I see deals like that all the time.
I even found a set of their bigger brothers, the sm152's for 40 dollars plus 30 for a refoam kit. Those guys cost over 700 bucks a speaker back when they were released.
A little time and patience pays off.

>refoam kit

Breh just stuff it with some pillow filler.

Its for the surrounds on the drivers. They cant put out any sound with rotted foam.

you need to post a budget and the kind of music you listen to and your space requirements

Any recommendations for sub $250 speakers?

I listen to mostly heavy/death metal, pink Floyd, classical and some trance. Space isn't an issue.

Also listen to more alt and indie rock.

Get KLH speakers. I would have gotten the pair I saw in a thrift store but they were too huge for my desk and settled with these Sony speakers.

you will be looking at at least 1k i would suggest Cambridge audio there entry level stuff is god tier like there areo series book shelfs and for amps anything around the 500$ price range will sound good so buy depending on looks and features

post your state or next state over and ill find you something on craigslist

I have exactly the speakers in the pic and I'm a huge fan. Rock/metal/anything not hip hop sounds perfect, and it sounds decent for edm. The Adam A7Xs are up a price tier but phenomenal quality. If you want some bassier stuff but less clear go krk or Mackie

>Cambridge audio
2nd

i had a set of s30 they were the best starting loud speaker ive ever heard

>2016
>Wooden enclosure
>Passive
Get out. For desktop speakers space is almost always at a premium and a similar sized speaker made out of cast aluminium for example is going to have a far larger internal volume than something build with ~inch thick wood/MDF sides. Passive speakers also have one major fundamental flaw in them: passive crossovers suck balls. Yeah, CA is pushing their meme tier lower freq crossover in the speakers you recomended, but that just shifts the issue elsewhere and trying to get much wider 250Hz-20kHz range out of a single tweeter introduces whole new can of sound quality issues. In current year-land quality active speakers have solved that with active crossover and also have another major sound quality advantage as the speaker elements themselves can be matched with the precisely right amps to drive them.

>at least 1k + amps anything around the 500$
With that kind of money ($1000-1500) he'd be way better off with something like a pair of Genelec G Two's.

not reading OP he said he dosent want Monitors and plus monitors suck they sound lifeless and artificial

>monitors suck they sound lifeless and artificial

Why is this meme still alive?
There is no significant difference in sound between good hi-fi speakers and monitors.
media.soundonsound.com/sos/jun02/articles/monitors.asp

If you want shitty inaccurate sound just use an EQ to mess it up some.

they do sound lifeless and robotic me and my mate have gone to countless hifi stores and and places that sell monitors even done a side by side test of his monitors vs my hifi its just missing something it might be the suttle warmth of my class a and tubes

What are good sub 300$ speakers for music production? Presonus eris e5 caught my eye.

the ones on pic related

i have them, excellent purchase

do me a favor and post your set-up -- im genuinely interested in understanding what you use

most people know that the material used to build a sound output device influences the sound with certain timbres -- for example, if you make an acoustic guitar out of aluminum, it will sound more metallic than one made of wood

the reason many people stay away from active speakers is because of amplifier hum, miniature size of the cabinet which can make the sound output have a shoebox hollowness, and the incorporation of internal and external metallic and plastic sounds on the total sound made

>Campbridge topaz am5+s30's
>420 pound sterling

muh 1000

>class a
>for audio
lel
How much did your cables cost?

class A and cables don't have to be expensive

>The audiophile shits on the internet call these junk because they were "budget" options in the 90s

Typical audiophile bullshit. Like speaker technology has changed significantly in the last 20 years.