--Code--
Embedded C
Assembly

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=45MySnotCGA
pi-hole.net/
gearbest.com/memory-cards/pp_246125.html
world.taobao.com/item/521707277577.htm#detail
world.tmall.com/item/35121893747.htm#detail?
arduino.stackexchange.com/questions/12133/mac-osx-yosemite-no-serial-ports-showing-for-uno-r3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for assembly a shit unless you are in a niche application

Also anybody done work on Xbee mesh networks? Looking to set up an array of sensor networks or smart home stuff using Xbee/microntrollers

what do you even make with these?

Look it up senpai there's tones of DIY projects you can do. There's robotics, sensors, automation, etc

What's the best board to get started with FPGAw\s assuming I have access to Xilinx IDEs through school

Currently making a cnc mill running uC/OS3 on two stm32f4's and connecting it to the internet.

Shit is str8 legitimate familio

I also just picked up an ESP8266, need something to do with it. I have the aforementioned stm32f4's and a 1st gen Pi. Total noob at networking though.

waste of electronics if the design isn't heavy.

>Thought the background music would be some neat chiptunes
>It's a black guy talking about buying shit through autotune with the same trap drumbeat everyone uses
seriously?

I've been thinking about getting into microcontrollers for a while, I've got an old picaxe kit kicking around. Anywhere I can get ideas for projects?

BTW Why is raspberry pi shilling so hard? Theres five threads just about rasp all saying just bought one.

This. Fuck you, OP.

Here ya go
youtube.com/watch?v=45MySnotCGA

First for falling for the Intel Edison meme

>stick talk
>chip talk

this where we talk that chip talk

aw, tough, mate. cheer up. get yourself an MSP430 launchpad

Man mate, currently working with a Z8

Hey, hey hey. He is orally passing the story of the time when a man, who he says is a bad man with no honour, aka a fuccnigga, trespassed into his tribe's territory and was subsequently eliminated by means of a drive by shooting. Have some respect for his culture.

Nah*

His culture sucks and he probably doesn't even know what a Raspberry Pi is

I hesitate to even use the word culture to describe that way of life

Future, the rapper, doesn't represent the best of anything

How do I compile software for MIPS Linux 2.6? I've had this thing for over a year but can't find a toolchain to compile shit for it

# cat /proc/cpuinfo && uname -a
system type : Atheros AR9330 (Hornet)
processor : 0
cpu model : MIPS 24Kc V7.4
BogoMIPS : 266.24
wait instruction : yes
microsecond timers : yes
tlb_entries : 16
extra interrupt vector : yes
hardware watchpoint : yes, count: 4, address/irw mask: [0x0000, 0x0408, 0x0050, 0x00d0]
ASEs implemented : mips16
shadow register sets : 1
core : 0
VCED exceptions : not available
VCEI exceptions : not available

Linux (none) 2.6.31--LSDK-9.2.0_U10.5.13-GST-A4 #8 Mon Aug 26 14:35:32 CST 2013 mips GNU/Linux

>kernel marked GNU/Linux when there's 0 GNU software

>>kernel marked GNU/Linux when there's 0 GNU software
it was compiled with GCC. that's a result of the GPL cuck license

>taking credit where absolutely no credit is due
Leave it to Stallman

What's a good book/online pdf I can read to learn more about these things?

I know I can google but is there some specific book you like?

Like is it possible to learn what every single pin/chip/transistor/piece of text on the board is for?

I'd suggest looking into tutorials on how to build your own. Arduinos are simple as fuck, you can learn the board in an afternoon if you have okay knowledge of general electronics.

Just bought a raspberry pi, what should I do with it?

Stand back, best board coming through

how do i into resistors?

I still think we should have an embedded general.

Anyway, I'm going to turn pic related into an actual portable guitar that can play it's own music.
I was thinking of using an arduino for this, but not sure how. I found a synth library which works pretty well but there aren't any knobs on the guitar, only buttons, making it way harder to properly use it.
Then I thought of an sd card with sounds, but I think the reader is broken, and not sure if it would combine properly with the single threading.

I also thought of using a raspi, but I'm not really fond of that because I don't trust myself with the GPIO because they have less protection.

Also, should I perhaps add extra buttons?
Any ideas or tips are welcome.

>Like is it possible to learn what every single pin/chip/transistor/piece of text on the board is for?
The Arduino site itself has schematics.

Place resistors in the path of current.

>I still think we should have an embedded general.
You best start believing in embedded generals. You're in one!

There usually aren't enough funposters for embedded generals to stay alive.
Remember we're on a consumerist board.
If we spam the general often enough we might make a chance though.

this belongs on /diy/ where you will get better discussion and insight

Sup Forums is for idiots, gamers and consumers

you wanna learn arduino? given you have programming experience, just buy one and jump straight in and start blinking LEDs, that's the best way to learn

Look at examples.
Try to understand them.
Try it yourself.
Profit.

pi-hole.net/

Genuine question, is the Pi actually faster than something like uBlock?

Who /vhdl/ here? Just enlisted to learn it this semester.

I don't think so, I still run uBlock on my computer. pi-hole doesn't block everything out, I think you still get things like promoted tweets, youtube ads.

But the main benefit is blocking ads on any mobile devices using the network.

/diy/ is /ded/ board

Hmm, I imagine there isn't much of a point if you have rooted devices using adaway. A pi merely introduces more overhead.

The problem with these is that you really need a project or goal to work towards. Nothing ticks me off more than those people who impulse buy a RaspPi and leave it in a drawer. Or worse yet, try to make a cluster or "portable"

i did verilog, pretty fun and challenging. do stuff like multiplexers, adders, state machines. actually did several units later on related to FPGAs in general, things like implementing MIPS, PID controller with verilog

the overhead would be restricted to the pi though so it doesn't matter on your devices, unless the pi needs to be doing something really intensive.

I don't think it would be worse than discussing actual technology on Sup Forums

bought one of these things:
gearbest.com/memory-cards/pp_246125.html
was hoping to get more from the hardware, but... turns out it doesn't support host mode :(
anyway, still cool and cheap piece of hw

My school's lab uses Spartan3E FPGAs

Pretty fun class. We designed a full 8 bit cpu at the end

What do I get? MSP430 or an Arduino? I've seen on 8ch/g/ that the one on the top left is the best, but I don't know what the difference is between the three

BUMP

oh man fuck verilog, that shit took me so long to even begin to comprehend

>MSP430
Extremely low power and the launchpad is cheap. I like it. Got 10 launchpad kits for $10 back at launch.
>Arduino
The iPhone and Python. Every interesting embedded project have been made on an Arduino. Lot's of free libs exists and you can kind of do the python "import solution".

So what do people use their launchpads for that they don't just use arduino for? I picked two up when they were cheap (which I'm guessing most people did) but never did anything with them.

Use esp8266 and piggyback on your wifi if possible. $2/chip vs $10-$20 and still very easy.

What's so bad about an Nvidia Tegra or an itnel Edison? I barely see anyone mention them on Sup Forums

i listened to a really interesting talk this weekend about accessing and using gpio pins from inside the linux file system, anyone have any more info?

keeloq jamming and replay device

>msp430
you're not really doing shit with a SMD chip desu fampai

ded community, but pretty good hardware

relevant to my interests. got the link?

I don't think they've uploaded the talks yet, it was just given this weekend at pyohio

Hey, so my cousin's DS has one of those flash carts that you can load many games on via microsd card.
Recently, it stopped working after charging it. The DS boots fine without the cart in it, but if I put the cart in, it just boots to a white screen. What can I do about that?

>ded community
Why? What went wrong for it? I can get an Edison board plus accessories for $50 right now.

Damn I hope this thread is still around when I get home from work.

I've been doing some broadcasting of some of my coding and design of embedded shit, wonder if Sup Forums would be interested in it.See if I can drum up interest in it.

What was interesting about it? Using gpios in Linux are pretty simple

>overpriced unobtainium
>best
lol sure m8

bump

Derek Molloy has a whole book on the subject, frankly.

Plug "Exploring BeagleBone" into your preferred internet book dispensary.

I'm very new to the hardware side of it, so seeing how easy to control it was with a script was very exciting to me

Alright, fuck it, I'm going live now on Twitch.

If you want to find me, I'm sure I'm one of the only people on the #programming and #stm32 tags.

Anyone else find TI launch boards too complicated for simple uses? I have extensive experience with Arduinos and Raspi but every time I look at my TI sitting on the desk my heart aches a bit

Post username fag

twitch period television slantypipe amperture

i cant find anything for slantypipe amperture

Cross compile on your main computer.

Native compiling on the board will take forever.

Search Google for instruction on cross compiling.

If you want to learn don't buy an arduino, buy the microcontroller itself (I recommend a SM chip) and make your own board, I recommend starting with a PIC uC or an LPC.

China. Just know that you can get the Genuino, or the Chinese "Improved" version. Protip: it actually is better hardware for the same price, you just need to use the drivers they supply for the serial over usb interface, which you can find on the internet.

I bought these. they work great

world.taobao.com/item/521707277577.htm#detail

world.tmall.com/item/35121893747.htm#detail?

And a helpful post
arduino.stackexchange.com/questions/12133/mac-osx-yosemite-no-serial-ports-showing-for-uno-r3

I know how to cross compile, the problem is I can't find a toolchain for Linux 2.6. Last I tried it needed 3.something

You might have to build your own toolchain.

How do I go about that? Will I need a distro using Linux 2.6?

How do I into robots?

Buy microcontroller devboard.

Learn how program microcontroller.

Learn how to interface microcontroller to motor.

Stick gears and/or arms on motors.

Boom, robotto.

>the one on the top left is the best

Anyone who uses words like "the best" in terms of microcontroller architectures doesn't know what they're talking about. I've been in that thread on 8ch/tech/.

Arduinos are good if you want to not have to learn too much and just want to copy-paste code someone else wrote on the internet and slap on shields someone else designed to make something neat. (Note, I'm not trying to insult this train of thought. Arduino is genuinely good if there's something you think can be done with electronics, but don't want to bother learning what a transistor is).

TI's Launchpad platform (MSP430 is a good one) is great because it fills the same exact same use case as Arduino, and even has a fork of the Arduino IDE, but gives you a lot more headroom to grow because you aren't locked into the Arduino way of doing things, you can go right from Energia (Their Arduino IDE clone) to Code Composer (A fork of Eclipse built for programming launchpads).

stm32-Nucleos (white board top left) are good just because of their ubiquity and support for mbed. developer.mbed.org a completely well supported online compiler. You download the binary and literally flash-drive-drag-and-drop your program into the directory and it programs for you.

i can do all of that. Can i get a job helping make robots now?

>uC/OS3
Why not ChibiOS?

School requirements. I wrote the course (a 400 level engineering course) based on the RTOS I saw on co-ops. You see way more OS3 than free RTOS in system automation and aerospace, which is where I did all my work.

Reason behind the tcp, USB and CAN was because the 4 of us that are in the course were told to research different comm protocols then implement them I to the project. So yeah, http gets to get the gcode and a debug log is saved to USB. Not the most exotic thing but I'm the idiot that picked CAN because I wanted to write an ECU for my car after this.

Also pictured: best dev board. Done TM4C, BS2 (way back into the day), HCS12 and of course arduino. Nothing beats the STM drivers.

>Not the most exotic thing but I'm the idiot that picked CAN because I wanted to write an ECU for my car after this.
Whats the problem with CAN? its pretty easy, you just throw a bunch of messages on the bus
Also all STM32F4 dev boards are indeed god-tier

Protip for my bros running Energia on OSX and have a Retina display.

Open Energia's Info.plist and right click > add row "NSHighResolutionCapable = Yes" and it will render the fonts properly.

You should also rename the app EnergiaHD or something else

Well it added a second controller to the project, for one. It is indeed pretty simple, just not the kind of thing you'd see at all I can a homemade cnc. Pic related, parts of a 60 dollar cnc.

Hi Sup Forums, I see all of you faggots deepthroating STM32, TI Launchpads, etc. But I have a question for you fags.

Does any of you have experience with Cypress PSoCs? Especially PSoC 5? For those of you who don't know, that's a Cortex m3 microcontroller wrapped in programmable logic (aka you can have 24 SPIs or I2Cs on that board, or 24 of any digital thing you ever want + all the standard peripherals already included on the board) there are also analog blocks, that can do stuff like become comparators, etc, which is then further wrapped in some other programmable thing that makes it so that all pins are reconfigurable, as in, any pin can be an analog pin, pin "names" like Digital 1 or Analog 1 no longer make any sense, since you assign the function to the pin yourself.

They sell a prototyping board for 10$, I've ordered it already since I couldn't find literally a single negative review about the company. It'll be my first micro-controller board, I already have programming experience but not in C, but from their extensive documentation and shit-ton of video tutorials, it seems easy enough to program using their IDE.

Did I fuck up, Sup Forums?

What about STM32F7 boards? There are nucleo boards that have them, and a 50$ discovery board that looks breddy gud

Arduino isn't embedded

Those STM32F7 looks nice, but that 50$ board is still a bit expensive when most F4 boards cost ~$15. Besides, I havent ever noticed an application where an F4 was too slow
>Cortex m3 microcontroller wrapped in programmable logic
That sounds really cool, I believe the beaglebone had TI chip with similar features
> I already have programming experience but not in C
Better start learning C, embedded software has a steep learning curve

>I believe the beaglebone had TI chip with similar features
It's basically something like a CPLD wrapped around the microcontroller. You can even create your custom peripherals if you can program the weird assembly-like verilog language. I don't think the BBB has it, as they keep talking about how it's the only chip in the world that can do that.

>embedded software has a steep learning curve
oh boy

is support for TI Launchpads coming to the macOS version of Code Composer studio?

Why wouldn't it be embedded? It's an Atmega AVR microcontroller slotted into a socket on a breakout board more or less.

I can't get the esp8266 to work, for some reason it fails to send any packet even though it can connect to the network, I tried to give it a separate power supply but it still won't work.
And what's worst is that I have two modules and both act the same way, I really have no idea what to do anymore

I want to get started on FPGA.

What are some decent kits that won't break the bank?

Xilinx stuff all cost in the hundreds, not very appealing.

I really like the DE-0 nano boards, they are cheap but have a reasonably big fpga. They do have an altera chip tho, but the free version of quartus has all the features you need.