Linux

is Linux just a meme or should I seriously consider using it full time?

I like Linux but there are certain things i would have to loose such as blizzard games and curse chat. wat do Sup Forums ?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_guide
wiki.winehq.org/Main_Page
youtube.com/watch?v=zdEFzhtHwhk
youtube.com/watch?v=OXS8ljif9b8
github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux
webupd8.org/2014/08/lgogdownloader-command-line-gogcom-game.html
gamingonlinux.com
lgdb.org/
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=home
penguspy.com
libregamewiki.org/Main_Page
ghostbin.com/paste/z74bj/raw
appdb.winehq.org/
github.com/wine-compholio/wine-staging/wiki/Installation
en.wikibooks.org/wiki/QEMU
youtube.com/watch?v=Hj2lkPpoAhE
wiki.debian.org/VGAPassthrough
reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/2z0evz/gpu_passthrough_or_how_to_play_any_game_at_near/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>blizzard games and curse chat
Nothing of value will be lost, I assure you.

WoW ran on linux last i checked, and their new game heartstone is a very simple one as far as i know, it would probably run on browser does it not?
I dont know hat curse chat is but there are plenty chat clients on linux

Good luck finding a distro that is not Ubuntu

op here

i've tested a lot of distros, im just at the cross in the road right before you make the jump you know?

I get you. I'm waiting to finish this project before ditching windows and the only option seems to be debian. whats the one you settled for?

Lots of Blizzard games work, dunno about curse chat but maybe

debian or mint

so i can use battle.net?

No Overmeme yet though.

>yet

I'd recommend OpenSUSE. Easy install, Zypper (the package manager), YAST, 60k programs in software repositories, and the mascot is a gecko.

Seems fixable though

>60k programs in software repositories
This isn't accurate because OpenSUSE do what Debian do and split up packages in to sometimes 3-5 different packages. 95% of all these are libraries and not actual programs you can use.

Gentoo for example which doesn't split packages only has 13k, and 80% of that is still libraries.

>Sup Forums

It's a chameleon, not a gecko.
It's the qtest GNU/Linux mascot, followed by the Xubuntu mouse.

i play heartstone and heroes of the storm everyday on my linux machine(ubuntu gnome) with playonlinux and it works flawlessly.

post paper please

Linux is a meme, try a BSD

Yes it is, that doesn't mean that it's bad.

>55859873
FFUCK OFF RETARDS
OP you want a REAL distro like arch linux, here
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_guide
Enjoy linux completely free of bloat, the freedom to customise your experience out of the box to be the way YOU want it. Arch places YOU at the center. Take control.

BSD isn't good as a desktop OS

I play Diablo 3 every once in a while. Works with newest wine out of the box, with the small exception of having to manually adjust the resolution in a config file.

>i would have to loose such as blizzard games

pls, consider killing yourself. if you value gaming more than your privacy, a programmer-friendly environment and the freedom of really OWN your operating system instead of having just the license to use it (see: windows), then you're filthy scum.
if you cannot renounce to gaming, at least do a dual boot partition

>linux shill talking about security
Honestly, if you value memes more than security you should just kill yourself.
BSD is the most secure operating system out there.
youtube.com/watch?v=zdEFzhtHwhk

>2016
>can't run a game from 2003 because libre drivers suck at 3d
The year of the linux desktop will only come when graphics drivers are as good or better than windows.

I wouldnt recommend it fulltime. I use win7 on my desktop and linux on my laptop. The first few months with it were suffering and it caused some serious issues since then, fuck knows why, but I had to do a complete re-install two times because things got so fucked that they could not be unfucked. I use it only for watching videos and reading VN's during mornings before actually getting up. No idea how ubuntu managed to shit itself from just that.

New Windows can't run many games from 2003 too, though, even in the compatibility mode.

BSD doesn't have any foss distro. (gnu\)linux does. of course you cannot talk about security if your own os has proprietary code that you know jack shit about what it actually does and it could be a backdoor. now fuck off

BSD is a meme. Everything breaks an security is a joke.

Bad Security Distros = BSD

I don't care about normies. I know full well that they like to get cucked by the kikes if that means that they can play the latest games

Yes you can, I'm playing Hearthstone with no issues on Linux. You can use PlayOnLinux to install it easily.

this

fuck off
You probably don't even run a freetard distro.
youtube.com/watch?v=OXS8ljif9b8
Get schooled by overlord de raadt cunt.

obviously a troll...

Mandatory:

Pros:
On Linux you'll get better performances than Windows once devs port the games.
Your system is malware free.
Your system won't crash as much as Windows do.
By not buying Windows you can use the money to buy games instead.

Remember, no tux, no bux:
1. Don't trust a company when they promise a linux release, wait until the official release.
2. Don't be ashamed to post on the game forum or steam discussions for telling developers to port a game you wanna play on linux.
3. Wine is great when you want old tittles or that aren't high on resources, but is not the final solution. You're not sure if the game will run properly.
4. The unique solution to gaming on linux is to force developers using openGL / vulkan / game engines permitting a cross platform software.
5. When you see a developer supporting Linux promote him as much as you can on forums, write about him on your blog and tell your friends how much you appreciate his effort. Remember, Gabe Newell believes in you.

>Steam
github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux

>GOG.com
webupd8.org/2014/08/lgogdownloader-command-line-gogcom-game.html

>Thread on /t/ (Torrents) on ported videogames
>News and Reviews
gamingonlinux.com
lgdb.org/
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=home

>Open source games
penguspy.com
libregamewiki.org/Main_Page
ghostbin.com/paste/z74bj/raw

>Wine wiki
>Database of games running in Wine
appdb.winehq.org/
>Wine Staging (latest and experimental features for Wine)
github.com/wine-compholio/wine-staging/wiki/Installation

>PCI/GPU Passthrough
en.wikibooks.org/wiki/QEMU
youtube.com/watch?v=Hj2lkPpoAhE
wiki.debian.org/VGAPassthrough
reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/2z0evz/gpu_passthrough_or_how_to_play_any_game_at_near/

I run trisquel, dipshit

> places YOU at the center
> Take control
sudo rm -rf /

You forgot one major advantage of lincucks.
Run your windows pc for a year, and I guarentee it will become slow as fuck. You're forced to reinstall every few months. Lincucks doesn't suffers from this.

FREETARDS FUCK OFF

Oh yes, firefox is not like in windows. I can have multiple programs and still run games and browse Sup Forums.

Sup Forums was born as a freetards' board, dipshit. now it's shit because of newfags such as yourself have invaded it

And /r9k/ was born as a board for fresh OC and see what happened to that place.
You cannot stop it, just leave.

Authoritarian faggot, YOU leave.

We are here from before you came with your continuous shitposting.

>being able to run less applications I'd an advantage to cucknix

you're not a big guy enough. We still feel in charge. now get the fuck out

95% of windows programs run under wine at equal or better performance.
If your cpu supports vtx, you can even just run a windows VM and have 0 loss of gaymen performance.

It's not a meme, people do seriously use it full-time. It's just different from Windows.

>blizzard games
WoW, HotS, SC2, D3 and Hearthstone all run on Linux. Overwatch does not (yet) because of their heavy, extremely invasive anti-cheating measures. (Will take some time to bypass)

>curse chat
Not even sure why you would use this. I must be autistic or something, because there are so many better ways to communicate that lose you nothing so I cannot comprehend why you would willingly use this. But oh well.

Not him but I started out my Linux journey with debian as well, until I got so pissed off by lack of control that I switched to the only distro that gave me full control: Gentoo

5 years later, haven't looked back ever since. This distro was basically made for me.

>95% performance
>Less native support
>Thinking emulation can be faster for gaming
Unixfags, everyone

this post reminds me so much of that “hello Sup Forums” comic and its many variations

VT-x is basically CPU-supported emulation with virtually no overhead. If you actually knew anything about processor technology you'd know that.

Linux is usable for an adult. There is more screwing around to be done up-front to get a particular program working, but then it generally leaves you alone. Windows and Mac are always interrupting your workflow to piss up your leg.

One small but very annoying example is loading a new program. On Windows, the os will bring it to front once it has loaded, assuming you have been patiently waiting for it to be ready. In practice this means that whatever else you are doing gets interrupted. On a gnome desktop, you get a little notification that the program is ready to use, but it doesn't grab focus. It's a small thing, but representative of why I prefer Linux.

Literal retardation.
Wine Is Not an Emulator.
And as long as you have the RAM for it, a VM works like a charm.

>Still pretending less applications and less performance is ok
Damage control: the post

The only games worth playing are on battlenet.
atm everything else is trash.

Calm down rajeet, nobody asked you to stop using Microshill NSA OS. you're not being attacked. Just hide this thread and find some other GPU war to participate in

> thinking that wine is an emulator

that's your average winfag: he shits on what he doesn't know and he gets cucked by NSA and micro$oft all the time

>WoW
Killed off by ability pruning

>HS
Sure if you enjoy netdecks, pay2win and RNG.

>HotS
Unplayably bad matchmaking last time I tried it. (And I mean seriously, of the type where people at 3000 and at 500 MMR were in the same game)

>D3
Basically a glorified slot machine. The gameplay is almost nonexistant, it's just RNG.

>Overwatch
Doesn't run on Linux

basically the only thing left is SC2, which is fine if you're into fast-paced action RTS but I personally am not

oh well

Get linux, use wine/a windows VM for shit you can't give up.

>Avoiding discussion on less performance and native support. Ad hominem after being btfo

the only who who btfo is the user who said that wine is an emulator. fuck off shills

>Avoiding discussion on less performance and native support.
There's nothing to discuss. You're free to try it yourself if you don't believe it.

Linux is free as in freedom. There's nothing stopping you. Knock yourself out.

No interjection from Stillman?

>There's nothing stopping you
Less native support and worse performance are.

If I want to install Linux can I run a VM to play games on it? Or it would have a poor performance?
> Dark SOuls 3

>having autism

Prove it

It is not for everyone.
If you want to play games, use windows.
If you want to make an AI that play the game, use linux

If you just browse the internet and check email and such then Linux Mint Cinnamon will work perfectly. If you are into games then Linux is a meme.

You have five options:

1. Run the game natively (only works if the developer releases a Linux binary. Most indie devs do, but most AAA devs don't)

2. Run the game via WINE (works for most games, but some don't - especially ones with heavy DRM. It helps if you have a crack). Performance varies wildly (some games are slower, some are equal, some are better than windows)

3. Run the game via KVM/qemu with VGA passthrough (note: requires an internal GPU, so you can have the host OS use the iGPU and attach the discrete GPU to the VM). Native performance and guaranteed to work, but doesn't work in all hardware configurations

4. Run the game inside a VM with virtualized graphics. Will be slower than native, either slightly or significantly depending on what virtualization tech you're using. (KVM+virgl3d can achieve realtime GPU emulation, as can something like vmware)

5. Dual-boot. Always an option. In fact, I still dual boot for gaming (I boot into Ubuntu)

Linux shitters BTFO themselves all the time

Noted vm. You can run a windows virtual machine in Linux at 95% speed. If you pass a gpu through you can play games that won't run in Linux. If virgil3d finally reaches public beta you won't even need the passthrough.

Debian-based tends to be best suited for desktop.

You may be talking about gentoo, not arch

>KVM+Virgil3d
Have you found any documentation on setting it up? The whole project has been tight on details.

>systemd cucks
>take control
Choose one

As much as we hate it, systemd was chosen for practical function. It makes it slightly easier for developers to make the switch.

Nope. I managed to get a CLI running through virgil but starting X made the VM unresponsive.

I eventually found another way to accomplish what I was trying to do, so I stopped trying. Either way, it requires guest support which I strongly doubt Windows has so I don't know why I even mentioned it

>3 and 4
I have an Core i7 2600 and a 770ti, do you think it would be possible?

About dual-boot it's a nay. I have Arch in another HDD but I never boot on it.

Nigger, less performance, believe it or not, *is* OK in games. The game either runs or it doesn't. A game running at 100% CPU under bare-metal windows is already going to be unplayably slow. On the other hand, if your CPU is able to comfortably run a game, adding the virtualization or wine overhead is not going to be enough to keep it from running at all.

Whatever merit systemd may hold, they lost me at
>binary
>fucking
>logs
My autism is too triggered to use that.

90% of the retards advocating for arch must have never tried FreeBSD, otherwise they'd stop with the "more control" shit.

Is *BSD actually usable for reasonably practical tasks (desktop, multimedia, office work, nothing too professional) or is it just a meme? Anyway, for the control there's LFS

Check if your CPU has VT-d support

Apart from that, refer to google and guides

Wine
Is
Not an
Emulator

This is LITERALLY the exact opposite of what arch linux stands for

Arch linux is all about simplifying the developers' job as much as possible - they only support one version of packages, one configuration, one init system, one package manager, etc.

The people who think arch is about choice essentially have absolutely no idea what they're talking about, and are probably confusing “choice” and “flexibility” with the ability to install different packages (protip: every distro lets you do this)

Yes, it have.

I will check it for more, but thanks for the info, I know how to start now.

*BSD is usable for those tasks if you hate yourself and like wasting time (which is why it would be a great fit for many of the archfags here). It has WAY worse driver support than Linux does, so you'll never be able to use your new GPUs or anything, though.

On the other hand, the BSDs do have a bunch of things that I really appreciate as a programmer.

What would you rather have OP:
- a shitty kit car assembled by few dudes in their garage that needs constant maintenance and repairs
- mercedes S class (it's not free like that kit car, but you can easily steal it and noone will give a fuck about it including police)

if your answer is merc than stick with windows

Well the only worthwhile things about HS are arena and brawl sometimes.

What would you rather have OP:
- an overpriced SUV that needs constant maintenance and repairs but has a shiny facade

- A mid 1990s honda with higher-quality internals, better fuel efficiency, better speed. Plus, it's given to you for free by your friends who are car enthusiasts.

If you'd rather have the SUV, go with windows

the SUV also has built-in tracking that allows law enforcement to see where your car is at any given point in time + its contents “for your own safety, citizen”

this

i can recommend ubuntu. forget the shitposting about unity and "muh, babbies first loonix", it's a full featured linux with every aspect of comfort you can expect from an OS. also, 4 years of guaranteed support and an easy option to update is gold, also the low hardware minimum.

meme
\thread

Go for xubuntu instead of vanilla. It works just as well but doesn't use unity.

Too bad 16.04 caught the systemd disease, though.

actually, i like unity. looks and feels like GNOME 3 sucking off blackbox. get a nice theme like ultraflat and you're set.

>inb4 no custom pape
still working on that.

You are mistaken distribution maintainers with software developers. The linking to systemd for developers is to reduce functionalities in the main application by heavily depending on systemd. In short, surrender to our leader or else.

One bad thing systemd brought is the divide in the Linux world. With now two ways to creating software you either use system calls of systemd. At the end of this you have two systems, pure Linux and systemd/Linux. And that is the best of scenarios because if Red Hat wins...

Personally I've already started calling my OS Linux/systemd - because when I think about it, systemd itself provides so many of the key OS components that are normally provided by an OS like OS X or Windows