50 inch Sony plasma TV on the curb in my neighborhood

50 inch Sony plasma TV on the curb in my neighborhood

Worth trying to see if it works?

What issues can I expect? Won't turn on with a click? That just means it needs some capacitors replaced, right?

Pretty much, at the least you could scavenge parts from it like speakers and capacitors and shit if it doesn't work out

Yes absolutely pick it up, if it doesn't work you can always sell the panel and driver on ebay, and keep the power supply for later

If its on the curb its obviously broken you dingus

> stealing a tv like a nigger

Fuck off Tyrone

If it's out next to the trash it's not stealing

This

He would actually be doing a good service anyways since it should be recycled not trashed if it's totally bricked

YES
loot the can behind too

Had a similar experience, OP. Found a 40 inch Sony LCD by the dumpster.

Turned it on to nothing but a blank black screen. This is due to one of the main boards (that holds the firmware) shitting out, and finding replacement TV boards are sometimes a hit and miss.

I never bothered fixing it. There was too much stuff already in the house and I felt like jacking off instead.

I also heard you could take electronic scrap and extract copper and gold, but that's complicated and likely requires poisonous chemical experiments that give out fumes your apartment neighbors might not appreciate.

totally worthless for one tv, you'd spend more on reagents than you'd get back. If the panel is intact though, that's money, and so is the inverter/driver like I mentioned earlier. If OP removes it carefully and can store it until someone bites on an ebay listing, he could put $200 in his pocket easy

come back at 3am a lug it back to your place to test it out. Works? keep it. Doesn't? lug it back. Hope you're not a manlet cause those plasma are heavy as fuck.

You should take it, but you should be wary of scavenging laws in your area. I doubt police will give a shit, though.

OP here. Brought it back to my place. Will test it in the morning.

Best tests for it?

Nice. I'm handy with electronics so I could probably remove those if it won't work.

It's perfectly legal here. It's a hotbed for people digging through dumpsters and selling shit from them, even. I'm surprised nobody else took this tv, it's been sitting there 5 hours at least

what does one do with an LCD tv with a shattered screen and no warranty? worth buying a new screen for? is it even possible to find a screen? its a sony bravia :(

Just plug it in and see what comes on the screen.
If nothing obvious try plugging it into a dvd player or antenna

Why come back at 3am? It's on the curb, that's fair game. He could grab it at noon if he wanted.

So he can put it back without getting egg on his face if it's broken.

Also curbside trash is generally city property, so if he's swiping TVs in broad daylight it might not go well for him. At the very least he ought to ask the person tossing it if it's OK to swipe it, basic manners.

>So he can put it back without getting egg on his face if it's broken.
Why bring it all the way back? It was on their curb for the trash men to take, if he's got nothing to do with it then he can simply put it on his curb. Either way he wouldn't have to take the TV at 3am to bring it back in the middle of the night.
>Also curbside trash is generally city property
I've never heard of anyone having this problem anywhere.
>At the very least he ought to ask the person tossing it if it's OK to swipe it, basic manners
If it's on the curb, it's up for grabs.

>Sony
>Plasma

Today I learned Sony made Plasmas

The fuck

>I've never heard of anyone having this problem anywhere.
Then you haven't been listening.

>If it's on the curb, it's up for grabs.
By law that's theft, and law aside it's still pretty damned rude to just swipe valuables right off of people's property without so much as a please and thankyou.
The only time that sort of behaviour is remotely acceptable is if it's a pre-arranged curbside givaway day, when items set outside are expressly for the taking and city waste isn't collecting.

>Then you haven't been listening.
Sure I have. It's just obviously extremely uncommon. I garbagepick all the time in a bunch of cities in broad daylight.
>By law that's theft
By law jaywalking's illegal too, but nobody gives a shit about that either.
>it's still pretty damned rude to just swipe valuable
Valuables? It's literally fucking trash.

>and city waste isn't collecting.
City waste would bitch the guy out for putting a fucking TV in the trash and not arranging for proper recycling

Cops give a shit, or can be coerced into giving a shit by residents and their homeowners associations complaining about some asshole swiping TVs in broad daylight.

And recyclable waste always has value, else no organization could afford to recycle it.
Even this very thread posits a potential value in the hundreds.

The guy could very well have arranged for curbside pickup by city waste ahead of time, ain't nobody wants to drive a heavy ass TV all the way down to the industrial district by themselves.

>some asshole swiping TVs in broad daylight.
Quit acting like it's theft, you fucking mong. It's literally in the garbage.

>The guy could very well have arranged for curbside pickup by city waste ahead of time
Oh shit, now I feel bad

Why? A man gets paid to go for a nice drive and doesn't even have to bother actually working

Would the guy get fined by them if they came and it was gone?

I highly doubt any city works that way. I can't imagine any place that's not a total shithole would even attempt such a thing.

I feel like he wouldn't have left the TV out the day before (hours before nighttime even, according to OP) if that was a possibility

Enjoy your bed bugs

Curbside is city property not the residents. So it's perfectly legal to take it.

this, kek

your neighbor is an idiot. you can't just throw out a tv. you have to take it to a recycling facility. the mercury and other metals in it have to be propey disposed of. Garbage men are told not to pick up them. Crushing a tv in the truck will expose them to the mercury.

Where I live it's illegal (municipal by-law) to fossick through the hard-rubbish collections.
Too many scavengers were leaving the streets littered with the stuff they didn't want. In addition to picking up the refuse the municipality had to clean the streets after.

Maybe his city collects TVs to recycle. I know mine does.