Can we talk about e-readers...

Can we talk about e-readers? Someone in my family recently bought a kindle and had me set it up and I got to spend a bit of time with it. Now I want my own.

>dat high contrast display
>dat god-tier battery life
>can have an entire book library in a device a little bigger than a modern smartphone

I've read that the Kindles are pretty locked down. Are there any e-readers that Sup Forums recommends? Like what's the T420 of e-readers? Post any thoughts or information about e-readers. This is new to me.

Other urls found in this thread:

stallman.org/amazon.html
aliexpress.com/item/Ebook-Boyue-T62-electronic-book-e-ink-capacitive-touch-screen-e-book-reader-built-in-backlight/32422099862.html
apple.com/education/ibooks-textbooks/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

you can jailbreak it

I have a Kindle keyboard and I really like it. When it breaks, I will probably buy another Kindle.

Any e-ink tablet with lagdroid works fine, preferably with wifi and without google play. I got mine for ~$80, no regrets. Lack of a book store doesn't matter, you can connect to wifi and download any books from any freedom-respecting online libraries. It also won't silently delete your books without warning like the Kindle does.
stallman.org/amazon.html

>I got mine for ~$80, no regrets.
Mind letting us know what brand/model you got?

The kobo ereaders seem decent, and sony maybe, but I don't know if they still make those things.

My Nook Simple Touch has treated me really well. Battery lasts at least 2-3 weeks reading everyday, lots of display settings, and you can unlock it to full android if you want.

Boyue T60, got it from aliexpress about a year ago. Apparently it's already sold out, here's Boyue T62:
aliexpress.com/item/Ebook-Boyue-T62-electronic-book-e-ink-capacitive-touch-screen-e-book-reader-built-in-backlight/32422099862.html

Thanks, T62 looks very decent. Just curious, is it bearable with some light web browsing? Might use it for some shitposting or whatnot.

The e-ink display has very low refresh rate, even scrolling webpages is hard. It also lags, so using the keyboard is uncomfortable.
I heard there's a smartphone which can switch between a "normal" display and an e-ink display for better battery life, but I'd assume it has the same problems.

In my opinion the old sony ereaders are still worth getting. They are a little outdated - pages don't turn as fast as newer ereaders and it only comes with 256mb of dedicated storage space (it does have an sd card slot though.)

The build quality and layout though are well worth the technical setbacks, not to mention that they can be found for under 30-40 bucks.

Pic related, elder god king prs-505

whatever you do stay the fuck away from any of the new kindles they are locked down to a retarded level.

you can jailbreak them but you literally need to pry open the case and it's not chill

>kindle
>no bigger than a modern smartphone
I fucking hate phablets

Why do you want to jailbreak them?

stallman.org/amazon.html

I miss my PRS-505 so much.

Fuck off, you jailbreak newer ones through the browser.

I honestly just use my phone.

I'm curious if getting an e-ink reader is worth it.

I want to get an e-ink reader just to read ero-manga on it.

What would you recommend?

I'd recommend to re-evaluate your life.

Windows 10 tablets are the only sane choice for non-cucked individuals.

r-rude

I'm happy with my H2O but I'll be really tempted to switch to Aura One if it does use Mobius + Carta instead of Mobius + Pearl.

Battery life alone is worth it.

>implying you can browse gee on your shitty ereaders while using vlc

>Windows 10
>tablet
>video game

Pick one, but don't pick Windows 10.

>vlc
>actually using poobar
>listening to deftones
Get out.

I just use calibre to synchronize my computer library with my kindle.

I pick all three
Atom Z3740D + HD iGPU are capable of handling l4d2 at high settings, native res and 60fps. Can your shitty ereader or ARM powered lelpad do the same?

E-readers, not tablet PCs. Tablet PCs don't make good use of e-ink displays.
Also, intel hd iGPU can't handle most gaems.

>I've read that the Kindles are pretty locked down.

They are not.
I've had two kindles now, never bought one book from Amazon.

it handles cs:go very decently, just like GTA IV

Can your shitty tablet have a battery life longer than 1 day / look as good as an e-reader while actually reading?

All of us have a fucking laptop or a desktop, so no actual point for having a shitty tablet with 1 gb of ram and an intel atom mate.

>I broke all locks so it's not locked down

Weird approach. You can crack anything but girls alright, but that doesn't make Kindles really "open". A Kobo is far more open than that.

Get an e-reader compatible with the open source koreader firmware. I have a Kobo Aura HD, which is one of the highest resolution ereaders on the market. I use it for manga and PDF's and it's way better than most of the lower resolution e-readers. Some of the kindles are like 800x600 and completely unusable for PDF.

>longer than 1 day
16 hours of constant use, up to 1 month of standby.
>1GB RAM
you mean 2GB

Meanwhile my thinkpad x201s has an i7, 8-9 hours of constant use, 8 gigs of ram, an 1440x900 screen all for 200 pounds.
Why would I need to buy a technically inferior tablet like yours?

Because that tablet is less than £100. And it's not an old cumstained, heavy pile of shit.
Also good luck getting 8-9 hours without going on ebay and hopefully getting a non-fucked up lenovo battery for cheap.

The point is that there is no use for windows tablets, that's why they sell like shit.
Meanwhile, I can enjoy a nice reading session on an e-reader without getting worried about the battery and getting that paperback-like feel.

Also good luck trying to have more than 10 tabs open on that tablet, or actually trying to code on it

Yotaphone 2
It is very expensive

The iPad supports millions of colours. The Kindle only supports a few shades of black and white.

>I've read that the Kindles are pretty locked down.
If you are going to read books and not rice it like your Arch desktop, you don't need something more "open". You can buy books or sideload them, what else do you need?

imagine all of those beautiful colors that you're missing out on while you read on a Kindle.

Kindle doesn't have dynamic interactive textbooks.

apple.com/education/ibooks-textbooks/

Many books available on the Kindle store, such as scientific encyclopedias and photographic journals make heavy use of colour pictures.

and the other 99% doesn't. buy a tablet if you're going to read PDFs or need color for journals or magazines or comics, buy an e-reader if you're going to be reading text or maybe PDFs with simple formatting.

I don't need leftist bullshit to jump in my face more than it triggers me already.

They can keep their shitty books that rewrite history and instill degeneracy into the mind of the youth.

also
>passive cooling
>no sound being generated
>can be powered off a standard power bank / charged via USB
>you can carry it in your pocket
and much, much more

Hello there, I think you've become lost and found yourself on the wrong board. I think you were looking for Sup Forums, the anti-science board where flat earth and climate change denial threads thrive.

Let's get you back where you should be:

Oh I'm sorry, I forgot I'm supposed to praise technology regardless of what it's used for: Apple products are fucking awesome and Pokemon Go rocked my world.

Is it better now?

I have an oldish kindle 3 with keyboard.
This one could still be jailbroken which came handily because the stock pdf reader was trash.
I think newer models have better contrast, but i recommend it if you are a poorfag and can get it used.

>and you can unlock it to full android if you want.
explain

>muh degeneracy
>muh rewriting history (the holocaust happened, get over it)
>muh C-CORRUPTIN' OUR YOUF (how dare kids become anti-racist, they should be wanting more slavery and colonialism! dang it, those J00S, those J00000000000S!!!!!)

What are you even talking about?

>globalisation
>leftist

>I don't need books
heh, american "politlcal" "education"

How the heck is globalised capitalism "leftist"? Leftists hate capitalism.

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the books themselves, which you probably haven't checked. They're filled with multiculturalism and leftist bullshit, and most "facts" they mention are either biased in their interpretation or plain false.

It's like Common Core on steroids, and kids eat it up because "waaah look mommy the book is moving".

It already runs on a modified version of android. You can root it to run a full kernel.

This and much less eye strain because of the e-ink screen

They have a universal jailbreak method now by downgrading to factory default firmware, it's pretty cool

Kobo Aura H20

I've been using the new basic kindle and it's pretty dank. I just download .zip archives off of panda and run it through Kindle Comic Converter.

You can add a cover using calibre and even send it to your kindle OTA by emailing it to your personal kindle email (gmail has a 25mb upload limit which is good for anything

>multiculturalism is inherently bad

what game is that??

>vlc
Literally GO GET YOUR KNIFE

is it possible to flash a linux distro on these?

>wykop

lmao get the fuck out of here normie right wing fuck

possible, but not worth, they usually have a shitton of thing that wont work

Get a Kobo

>locked down
????????????
converting to mobi is easy and you can pirate books. Seems to cover everything.

Didn't even think there'd be android e-readers, would be great to play sgt puzzles and lichess on an e-ink screen. How long is the battery life on yours?

what tablet, interested in picking one up.

spotted the cuckold

I am really frustrated with Amazon that they haven't released a larger screen kindle in many years. I read textbooks with code snippets, math, graphs, etc. And the small screen just destroys it. I read on a tablet to get a big enough screen for a full page of a book.

What about the nook? Isn't there a bigger offering of those?

Why are e-readers so expensive? They are well overpriced for what they are.

I use my Note 3 but I would like a paper white, not at the price Amazon charge for one though.

80 euros is not terribly expensive for something you use everyday that´s in much respects better than a 700 euro phone.

Doesn't change the fact that an 80 euro device is actually worth 40 euro.

Kindle PW. Don't even bother jail breaking it. Caliber will convert everything to mobi. KCC if you want to read manga on it. You can pirate more books/manga than you'll ever be able to read. My PW has been awesome, it's bomb proof, it flew out my work van's window the other day, not a scratch. It might even be my favorite bit of tech.

You can also buy e-readers for 40 euro, not sure what's your point. Retail price of electronics is based on actual demand, not the cost of the components.

They are pretty cheap compared to other devices. And then you'll almost never have to buy a book again.

I got an LG G Pad X 10" tablet for free and it works fine in the sun. It also has a 7000 milliamp battery so it can last more than a day.

There is no reason to get an eReader.

I had a kobo glo for a few years then the battery died, so I bought a new one(regular one, not the glo because it was like $50 more for a back lit screen)

The only problem is you need to create an account and do some bullshit activation shit on the internet when you first get it, other than that it's pretty good. I was gonna buy an amazon kindle but it doesn't support Epub's so it's a piece of BULLSHIT

What do you actually gain by jailbreaking a Kindle? I've had my Kindle Keyboard for probably 4 years now & have never found a need to jailbreak it - I can still put pirated books on it just fine? What am I missing?

Custom wallpapers and a few homebrew programs I think. Wanted to jb mine for the wallpapers but then didn't bother.

E-readers are only good if you read only texts, i.e. only novels.

If you need to render a pdf with pictures it's a fucking nightmare. They are also bad for reading manga because of their limited resolution.

And if you read it with backlight on it's just about as straining on your eyes as an AMOLED tablet with similar brightness.

I used to have one for about a year but I ended up not buying any newer ones.

You can do custom wallpapers without jailbreaking, at least on the Kindle Keyboard.

Nothing to actually make it worth the effort.

I like audiobooks but I also want a truly portable device you can ideally have around your neck. The problem is, I can't find ANY service which provides audiobook files you can use on any music device like a shuffle. They are all online based subscriptions.

Does there still exist something that gives you access to a large library of audiobooks which you can put on a offline device?

What!? Apart from all those torrent sites that literally have 1000s of free audio books in mp3 and other file formats that play on 99% of the available devices?

What am I missing about your post?

I have been using my phone to e-read for years. Works fine.

>torrents

I guess but I'd rather be a lazy shit and use a nice service platform. I also want things in other languages than just English.

Not on paperwhite afaik

>other languages
Not a problem. Plenty of non-English torrent sites out there. I too enjoy learning other languages.

>lazy
torrents aren't much effort. A little but of hunting around and you can find a site with all the audio books you need. Then when it comes to handling the files it's going to be them same as any other service. what.cd has plenty of audio books and a solid request system.

I went through some /ptg/ thread yesterday and man, I don't think I can be arsed doing an interview to get into what.cd. Even if it just means learning a little extra about formats and torrenting.

TPB has served me well but the audiobooks I'm looking for are not as common as it was a few years ago. And now KaT is dead, unless you trust that mirror.

The interview really isn't hard...

Nor did I claim so. It's just out of my comfort zone. I'm not used having to go through hoops to get an account on a private tracker or anything really. No one else I've ever used required more than filling out a form.

>foobar
>mp3
>deftones

Ever considered Clorox™ Bleach?

Buy the newest PAperwhite. I own 2nd gen, it's amazing. I buy books anyway, since they all cost like $3 (Amazon is good like that), but you can read pirated books anyway. What else do you wanna do with an ebook reader?

Just don't get the touch screen one (PRS600?) Thing has a horrible screen, I suppose from the extra layer of the digitizer.

oh god I love that song

saw deftones live back in 2007 and it was great