What programming language should I learn in 2016? I want to learn programming as a hobby

What programming language should I learn in 2016? I want to learn programming as a hobby.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=H4YRPdRXKFs
choosing-a-language.techboss.co/#/
debian.org/CD/netinst/
youtu.be/kfn09s-rjvI?t=617
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c-tutorial.html
learn-c.org/
learncpp.com/
cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c -tutorial.html
en.cppreference.com/
isocpp.org/faq
learnpython.org/
codecademy.com/en/tracks/python
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What experience do you have?

learn the rad ones so you can brogram and be hip as fuck

scala

I know a bit of python

Keep learning Python.

do you want to do?

general dev = c#/python

web dev = javascript/sql/jquery/css/html5

software dev = java/c#/c++/python(with qt gui framework)/or c(if you really need it)

game dev = c#/c++

embedded dev = c/assembly

reverse engineering = c

retard dev = haskell/lisp

Spend a day learning how to use the command line. It's really easy, and pretty useful for automation of tasks, or if you ever find yourself trying to navigate a unix environment.

youtube.com/watch?v=H4YRPdRXKFs

choosing-a-language.techboss.co/#/

what..?

This is actually the best introduction to "programming" you can have.
Simple, crystal clear documentation, and even if you quit right away you learned something that will probably be useful at some point.

Hey what skills are absolutely necessary for a front end web job? I know
JS,Jquery,ajax,html5,CSS3,angular & node.
i'm thinking mySQL, php || ruby || python.

Woof wooffle woof woof $20.

I'm interested to learn C or C++ but I think I will continue learning python.

HTML and CSS are absolutely necessary. The rest is bloat.

do not listen to this user

>retard dev = haskell/lisp

please

thanks for the advice

>webdev
>no php

too many options man. if you just want to code for fun and make cool useful shit with as little hassle as possible then learn python. it's a mature, flexible language and nerds here only hate it because it's easy. it's not perfect but it's more than good enough for you.

if you want to learn as much about computers as possible then pick up C and then go anywhere from there. you'll learn a great deal about types, structure, control flow and memory management.

seriously, C is a bit useless these days for anything remotely high level (get mad purists) but most of the languages currently in use are derived in some way from it. picking up the syntax and overall concepts gives you a foot in the door of countless other languages.

plus it helps to know what the other languages do for you that C doesn't. you'll learn what interpreters and runtimes are and how they differ from compilers. you'll learn of built-in abstractions (like dynamic typing) and features (like garbage collection) and what their benefits and costs are.

you'll learn to differentiate specification and implementation, you'll learn that code can be compiled to a variety of target languages and that more cases are useful than you would have considered before.

I'm writing a huge wall of text here but you catch my drift. C is like the 2001 Monolith to programming.

Phpajeet. Only people supporting 10 year old code still use php. Go and node js are both faster to code in and in most cases more efficient

Is C++ good? I would like to program desktop applications and maybe some games.

Games... Windows? Learn C#.

>desktop applications
C# if you're on Windows
>games
C++ or C#, depending on what you are using to make em

You've never really been in the real world haven't you? nodejs and go are meme languages only used by hipster startup trash

I use windows and linux

bump

Do you have to tip the dog?

Interesting. I did not know that Ruby was the first programming language to require a computer. Thanks.

Bash. Trust me, it pays off

+woof*

Convince me to not learn F#, Sup Forums.

Old school BASIC and machine language desu. Get a Commodore 64 or thing like that.
Next best thing is to install TempleOS and use HolyC. It's like a more convenient form of C, but there's no compile time, and everyhing runs in ring 0. Pretty much the only decent hobbyist system today.

INTERCAL

Is there a way I can install Debian without all the unnecessary software? similar to what you start out with in an Arch install?

sicp?

debian.org/CD/netinst/

youtu.be/kfn09s-rjvI?t=617

a truly enlightened individual

HASKELL

PLUS TIP

Shhh. The sooner PHP goes extinct, the better for everyone.

If you already know a bit of python, stick with it until you know a lot of python. It's a fine language. It also supports lots of different paradigms, so you can teach yourself about traditional procedural programming, functional programming, OOP, and learn which paradigm is appropriate for which job. Don't let anyone tell you that a single paradigm is the One True Way. You hear this a lot from OOP advocates but OOP is only appropriate in certain very specific situations.

Every programmer should at least play with Lisp, even if you end up not using it for anything practical. It will expand your mind. Same with Haskell IMO.

The Project Euler challenges are a great way to try out a new language if you're interested in it. Just do the first 20 or so challenges in the language.

For desktop applications on Linux I use Python. For games I use C.

Also this.

Unless you wanna be a skid, ASM and C++ is the only route.

So you want to learn programming?

Pick a starting language. For beginners, there are generally two recommended "programming families" that you can choose to start learning:
-Dynamically typed/interpreted programming languages, such as: Python, Perl, Ruby
-Statically typed/compiled programming languages, such as: C, C++, C#

These are amongst the most popular languages in use worldwide, including 4 from the top 5. Both approaches are perfectly fine, and well-documented.
-Dynamically typed programming may be a bit more flexible, convenient, and forgiving. It is more popular in academia.
-Statically typed programming is a bit more suited for making general applications. It is more popular in industries.

Cannot decide? Flip a coin.

If you choose statically typed/compiled programming, you may want to start with C, then pick up C++. C is very well documented, and teaches many universal programming concepts. C++ is based on C, and adds new concepts. Sources:
For C:
The C Programming Language (K&R)
C Primer Plus (Prata)
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c-tutorial.html
learn-c.org/

For C++:
learncpp.com/
cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c -tutorial.html
en.cppreference.com/
isocpp.org/faq

If you choose dynamically typed/interpreted programming, you may want to start with Python. It is very easy to pick up. Here are some good sources:
learnpython.org/
codecademy.com/en/tracks/python

>BUT I WANT MORE SOURCES!
Read: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources

>BUT I WANNA START WITH [language x] INSTEAD!
Sure, if you like. But the languages above are considered good for beginners.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE A COOL WEBSITE!
Learn HTML, CSS, and Javascript.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE iPHONE GAMES!
Learn Objective C and/or Swift.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE ANDROID GAMES!
Learn Java.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE PC GAMES!
Learn patience.

acceptable languages everyone should at least be familiar with:
Lisp (all are cool, but scheme is the best)
C (pure plain C, no disgusting extensions or derivatives)
Bash (really doesn't matter so long as you know a shell fairly well)
Haskell (muh glorious functional languages)
FORTH (blow your mind with real low level shit)
Lua (for a nice quick/short scripting language, not Python (Python is awful bullshit, fuck Python)
Pascal (makes for a good additional C like language)

>small installation image
>uncheck everything when it asks
>install packages one by one as you find you need them

OP, or anyone reading this who is not sure of where to start in programming: Can you read this pasta and tell me if it is helpful?

what about obsolete dev?

fortran and cobol

some gov agencies still use that shit believe it or not

OP wants to be a hobbyist.

Java

not really, it gives 0 guidance and THE CAPS ARE ANNOYING and are a nuisance

Anything I can do to make it more guiding?

whats a good book to learn python? im planning on investing all of tomorrow to get started with python.i kmow a bit of c++ and matlab as well.

C++
Then you can jump to any language.

Codecademy

The last two projects I've completed have been rebuilding two projects that ran way over budget and overdue which were based on meme tech.

One was Node React, and the other was Ruby Angular. Both had mongo backends even though their data was transactional in nature and required referential integrity.

Both were rewritten in a PHP framework with a Postgres database.

There is nothing wrong with any tool when used properly. The only real problem with PHP is that it is very easy to misuse.