Are you guys actually using Linux as your main desktop OS? I can understand wanting to use on a laptop, say thinkpad...

Are you guys actually using Linux as your main desktop OS? I can understand wanting to use on a laptop, say thinkpad, but on a desktop? Aren't you sad you have limited software that you can properly run?

>windows

you can be a hacker on both
/thread

>Aren't you sad you have limited software that you can properly run?
It's rarely an issue. Most of the stuff I want has pretty good support for Linux. It really depends on what type of things you need.

I dont play games nor do i use photoshop so i really dont encounter the "limited software" problem.

I can do everything i did on windows...

Never understood the
>playing games on linux
meme. They work fine...

nice projection

I'm sorry? I actually honestly dont see what other applications linux really lacks. Whatever they may be (if they exist) i dont use them either.

>not dual booting

I'm using Ubuntu with Mate environment, which is quite close to Windows. I really cannot do without a taskbar, and Unity drives me nut.

I removed windows in order to help me cure my addiction to video games. No windows, no cool video games (though Factorio runs on Linux, but I try not to think about it).

I added Linux in order to work more efficiently on toy projects (I'm a developer). Developing on windows is terrible.

Beside that, Ubuntu+Mate has everything I want to do with a computer. And it boots way faster.

after that there is literally nothing to complain about in terms of software compatibility

I don't miss anything. When I stopped using Windows almost all of the software I used was free already.

Why the fuck am I replying seriously to a Maki thread?

>freedom is a limitation
This is what wintards actually believe!

Using Mint. Feelsgoodman.

My computer is basically an anime/internet machine.

No need for non-free software.

there is literally no reason not to do it all you need is a hard drive and two os's comfy windows for occasional gayman and linux for what ever else. use them interchangeably. im living the life senpai

I use it on my laptop that came with Windows 10. It is annoying because there are problems and not alternatives to great software on windows.

Don't try to say that infront of any linux users though, they will tell you how you are wrong and gimp is 100x better than photoshop, and how whatever program you like on windows is a waste when you can run 1,000 different obscure commands to get similar results but reduced functionality and how it is superior.

With Microsoft disrespecting their users so much, I think Linux has potential for a lot more interest and growth. They abused their update system for 7, 8, and 8.1 to distribute malware and spyware and forcing users to upgrade against their will. Microsoft has gone over the line and the system blatantly disrespects you as a user and disrespects your privacy.

All current OS's are shit. I'd love to see a proper Linux desktop and more quality linux software similar to what we have come to expect on windows. It will take talented contributes and good honest criticism & communication but linux can easily surpass windows 7 if it was just given some TLC for the desktop user.

>chrome
>not even chromium
Just get out.

Dude, what?
Isn't there more software for Linux than any other OS?
And most of it's free

Fedora is my main and only desktop os on my desktop and on my laptop. I do everything on it.

I only miss VisualStudio but that's why I have a Win7 VM.

Maki a shit

I have a stripped down ubuntu installation on a vm. I only use linux for its package manager and terminal emulators so it gets me where I need to go. Still, booting up a vm just to use a terminal is a bit too much of a hassle

I literally only have Windows installed for one game. If I wouldn't play that I would switch to Loonix immediately.

Programming on Windows is such a fucking pain, I imagine playing games on Linux must be too, but I don't do that often. The only ones I play aren't a pain at all.

Plus there's being able to configure stuff. On Linux I just connect my printer and scanner machine to my OpenWRT router, install p910nd and sane, add the IP of the printer in settings and the IP of the scanner in /etc/sane.d/sane.conf

How would I do that on Windows? I can't install it on a cheap router, I'd have to buy a seperate machine to function as a server, that would have to be x86, because there's no way on Windows to recompile stuff for other architectures.

>but on a desktop?
Are you saying that i shouldn't use a Desktop OS which hasn't been contaminated by touchscreen UI element cancer, on a desktop?

Are you mentally retarded OP?

I mainly use the computer to read books, surf the Internet, and play music and video. I have all the software i need.
Are you mentally retarded?

I only miss Photoshop but seamless mode VM is a good solution

Yeah, even Photoshop isn't an argument anymore.
You can run it via VM and off a flash drive via portable version.

>Are you guys actually using Linux as your main desktop OS?
Yes
>I can understand wanting to use on a laptop, say thinkpad, but on a desktop?
Unless we are talking about specific HPC applications or stuff like that, Desktop=Laptop, for 90% of all productivity software.

Nope.
What's limited?
Data analysis with stuff like Python, Matlab, Sage, R or Julia?
Mostly works better on Linux
"Office suite"?
For those rare cases someone insists on using word or excel, LO is good enough to extract the contents and use it in a sane tool
LaTeX?
Actually works better on linux.
General desktop environment, file manager, shell, etc?
Actually works better on linux.

The only stuff I can think of, is stuff like GIS and CAD.

Oh, and gaiming… but that doesnt count.

My desktop is at my home (obv).
It is used as an entertainment system but I also do some work from there.
I mostly use it to play games and watch yt/netflix.
Linux is fine for this, I don't see why I wouldn't use it for this.

I'd use it for general browsing and shitposting but after months on Linux (tried many distros) on my laptop I decided I just can't. For every problem I have on my thinkpad that isn't hardware caused there's the perfect and fast solution on windows, that can't be said for Linux, and for my work and studies I have many different problems

Give me some examples

I'd use linux for ricing if I was into it
definitely not a bad choice for that. But my laptop is for media, and visual novels. So I stick with w7

I use OpenBSD as my main OS.
Everything I use is open source. There's one single program I can't use in OpenBSD, and it's just a browser.

>he actually believes windows has more software than linux

Sup Forumstards leave

explain
im just curious dont hurt me

>Limited software

Are you referring to Photoshop? Yeah I never have a use for that, and if I did, GIMP would work just fine.

What other shit do you think I'm unable to run on Linux? A shitty overpriced office suite that you either have to pay for or pirate and just trust the source? A bloated IDE that I don't even need? Gaymes? I don't gaym.

I have Linux on my desktop because I want full control over my computer. Most of the "software" that you're saying I can't use is either Photoshop or VS, or just third-world pajeet shit that you downloaded off some sketchy website to perform basic functions that Linux could do out of the box.

Even then, you can still use Photoshop. Wine and Virtual Machines are a thing.

Wine is pretty hit-and-miss, so I just keep W10 in a virtual machine and don't let it access the internet.

So far I've only needed it to open iTunes so I could transfer newly-purchased songs to Linux.

On Windows:
>Want to edit pictures professionally? Well FUCK YOU buy Photoshop
>Want to do office work? Well FUCK YOU buy MS Office
>Want to open a fucking rar file? you guessed it it's time to go to the internet and get/buy winrar or some shit
>Want to open a PDF File? it's time to get botnet adobe
>Want to edit multimedia professionally? The fuck do we care? go get/buy Premier or some shit
>Wanna torrent? well go get some malware-tier utorrent or whatever, we'll block it by default btw
>Wanna browse in something that is not shit? why wouldn't you want IE or Edge? are you a terrorist?

on most Linux distros, Obanto for instance:
>Want to edit pictures professionally? GIMP pre-installed and free
>Want to do office work? Libreoffice pre-installed and free
>Want to open a fucking rar file? don't worry, it's embedded in the file explorer and supports a shitload of other formats right out of the box
>Want to open a PDF File? Libreoffice pre-installed and free. You can make PDFs too
>Want to edit multimedia professionally? Install Blender, and yes, it's free
>Wanna torrent? Transmission pre-installed and free
>Wanna browse in something that is not shit?
Firefox pre-installed and free

The list goes on and on.