Windows 7

Can we have a windows 7 general?

I just got it set up, got all the drivers for my hardware.

Now I'm curious what programs people like having? what are the first things you do after setting up a win 7 machine?

Other urls found in this thread:

support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3161647
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Set updates to "Check but let me choose whether to download or install"

Hide and never install the following updates:
KB2882822 - Update adds ITraceRelogger interface support.
KB2952664 - Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7 = Windows 7 nagware patch that touts the Windows 10 upgrade.
KB2990214 - Update that enables you to upgrade from Windows 7 to a later version of Windows.
KB3021917 - Update to Windows 7 SP1 for performance improvements (telemetry)
KB3035583 - GWX update installs Get Windows 10 app.
KB3065987 - Windows 10 upgrade for Windows 7.
KB3068708 - Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry.
KB3075249 - Update that adds telemetry points to consent.exe in Windows 7.
KB3075851 - Windows 10 upgrade for Windows 7.
KB3080149 - Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
KB3083324 - Windows 10 preparation.
KB3083710 - Windows 10 preparation.
KB3112343 - Windows 10 Upgrade for Windows 7.
KB3118401 - Allows Windows 10 dependant Universal Runtime apps to run on earlier versions of Windows.
KB3123862 - Updated capabilities to upgrade Windows 7
KB3135445 - Windows Update Client in Windows 7. Windows 10 preparation.
KB3138612 - Windows Update Client in Windows 7. Windows 10 preparation.
KB3173040 - Windows 10 end of free upgrade offer notification for Windows 7.

Install all security updates and avoid shitty software like Java and Flash. Antivirus is optional but can be useful at times.

if this is a windows 7 thread, I need some help

I tried clearing the update cache in the System distribution folder after failing to install 56 updates. Now it's just showing me this. Does anyone have any advice?

am I fucked, Sup Forums?

Microsoft changed the way the Windows Update system worked, if you recently installed Windows 7 or cleared out the cache folder you'll need to install the latest Windows Update client.

support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3161647

It's not really relevant now, but newer versions of the update client have the ability to disable "upgrades" to Windows 10. Use the tool "Never10" to set that option.

Some of the Windows Update Client updates actually improve stuff (no more memory usage spikes when checking for updates) and won't install Windows 10 by themselves. It's a good idea to install those updates.

Wait, wait and wait some more. It usually gets fixed by itself.

Why did it fail installing those updates anyway?

I actually took out the Windows Update client items in that list but forgot to remove the last two entries. KB3135445 and KB3138612 are safe to install.

Disable Windows Update, then manually download and install SP1 (if you don't have it), IE 11, KB3020369, the Convenience rollup update for W7 Sp1, and then the July 2016 update rollup. Reenable Windows Update and it should just werk.

>Can we have a windows 7 general?
No.

I'm just using Windows 7 Lite, updates disabled

If you're not planning to use internet explorer you can just disable it before you do anything else and save time/space

>Windows 7
old as fuck but ok

first

Ethernet Drivers
Web Browser
Graphics Driver
Keyboard and Mouse Drivers
Spotify
Google Drive etc

>keyboard and mouse drivers
what

did they finally fix slow as shit windows update?
I'd install win7 on my laptop, but I don't want to spend 12 hours installing updates

woah is this 2009

AHAHAHAHA. No. "Fixed" it by making a pack with Wsus Offline and installing them straight after a clean install after which it took maybe 5 minutes max to look for new updates. Whatever official "rollup" they did didn't install jack.

On my netbook machine some programs load faster on Windows 7 than on Ubuntu minimal+Openbox

>using windows update instead of wsus
when will they learn

Can I safely install security updates on my Win7 without having to worry about sketchy shit being installed along them? I remember some time ago there was a "security" update which ended up being some Windows Edge thing

>Install all security updates and avoid shitty software like Java and Flash.
>mfw my internet banking requires flash

It took over 10 hours to revert from Linux Mint to Windows 7, jesus christ I can't believe I fell for the linux meme. Finally returned to my true love and I'm staying with her until my death.

Awwww, you're so sweet~

Took less than 5 hours to learn linux mint and run windows 7 inside it. Saved 5 hours of searching for drivers.

Vista is still the best windows OS.

Fuck Bancolombia.

>decide to go back to Win7 after a week of Win10
>do the rollback and go take a shit
>come back to error messages
>click shutdown - the only option
>get stuck in bootloop with pic related flashing for 1/10th of a second after the windows logo
>I get the option of "Startup repair"
>"Windows cannot repair this computer automatically"
>no options work and when using the Win7 CD to try a repair it says it's not the right version of windows
>trying to find a way to boot in to safemode since F8 only gives me the UEFI boot load order list and no safemode option

Could it be because I installed virtualbox after the "upgrade"? If so, is there a way to reverse it, or am I fucked and will have to reinstall everything and lose all my shit?