Bash on Windows

Now that Ubuntu's bash is on Windows does it make more sense to install Python and Node.js through apt-get instead of downloading and installing the usual Windows binaries?

Other urls found in this thread:

msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/commandline/wsl/faq
linux.com/learn/howdy-ubuntu-windows-intro-canonicals-dustin-kirkland
github.com/microsoft/bashonwindows/issues/637
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm asking because both Python and node.js are *nix first.

bumpingup

upbumpin

>ubuntu's blob (pardon me, I meant binary, so and maybe a?)
blob -> magic layer of API calls the right function in Windows blob (probably not the best one or in the best way, BECAUSE IT WAS COMPILED / WRITTEN TO LUNIX) -> windows blob

>window's blob (pardon, we call them exe and dll)
blob -> the right windows function (which was probably even designed to work with in the first place)

Really hard choice, you better ask management poor sysadmin. Also don't believe me any words, do benchmark yourself first.

I wouldn't use Python and Node.js to begin with if I cared about performance on my dev machine.

Any way to add the oficial repo of ubuntu to the bash, i tried to install screenfetch and nothing.

what I mean is I only care about performance on the deployment servers. Overheads on my dev machine doesn't matter.

install gentoo

Bash on ubuntu on windows is shit m8. There is always some shit it cant download, sometimes apt cant detect things youve installed through apt making uninstalling things a mess, and no DE

>no DE

that's a good thing though

Don't pretend. We are getting to a point where hardware will be cheaper than human labor.

You are just more comfy in Windows for whatever reason. You should try:

Virtualbox
Install anybuntu
set shared folders
give to ubuntu new IP, set up servers that they take sources from shared folder and bookmark the new ip in browser.

unless you are debbuging your server runtime directly from IDE (I don't even know if you can do this with node.js), you should be comfy without dualbooting and forcing yourself to hostile GNU world.

>no DE

Why would you want German localization in bash?

Should i inhale or exhale now, i just dont know, the thread.

You can install your DE of choice and operate it through Xming, not sure why you would want that though

what is the point of bash on windows? straight autism

>straight autism

The dominant ideology of the 21st century.

I don't get it

Why is Bash on Ubuntu on Windows?
Why not Bash on Windows or
Bash on GNU+Linux on Windows

Why are they packaging this with Ubuntu? Is it because it's the most recognizable linux distro?

What is the executable even? Is it like live software where its the linux kernel and the only program we have is bash?

I'm so confused wtf is Microshit doing

I know. Im commenting on its current state as OP is probably looking to do what he wants now. Are you dumb?

Why not Cygwin?

It is literally Ubuntu, they worked with Canonical to get it working.

msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/commandline/wsl/faq

because cywgin can't even fork()

read the Ubuntu guy
linux.com/learn/howdy-ubuntu-windows-intro-canonicals-dustin-kirkland

>Why is Bash on Ubuntu on Windows?
Bash requires Linux, isnt?
But deploying Linux vanilla is a pain, also it would require Microsoft to maintain it.

But if they use Ubuntu LTS, the Linux is already there, they just need to port it.

Why Ubuntu? Because it's the most popular distro out there.

how could you do that?

>and no DE
doesn't windows come with explorer for you

with lots of patience and some love

tell me, pls

Does this mean YouTube dl works for us now

start looking here
github.com/microsoft/bashonwindows/issues/637