Small Questions Thread

/sqt/

Other urls found in this thread:

microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/
linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=137888
pcpartpicker.com/list/z3Bn7h
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Can I install linux fedora on some VMware and use it for programming in C? I don't really want to remove Wndows from my PC.

Yes

yes, but you can dual boot you know. google 'fedora dual boot guide' and a few should show up.

What's the best and easiest way to install Windows 10 Home on a new build?

make sure you have a windows 10 install burned onto a flashdrive or dvd. just put that shit into the pc and follow the instructions to install.

Thanks m8. I actually already had Fedora on a different laptop and the HDD crashed and need to be replaced. Lucky for me my old ass laptop is still putting in work.

Appreciate the tip user. I've been downloading a shit ton of drivers and software.

I actually boot and nuked this PC also.

Thank you again.

Don't you need randall or some other shit to use the USB properly? I don't know, I always used DVDs and only know about that USB tool because people in KAT comment sections used to spam it saying you need the USB tool.

RIP to KAT.

Name of that program? It's like a virtual version of that shit you see in shows where people tie string around tacks to visualize the relationship between things, you could create bubbles full of info and link them together and you'd eventually end up with a huge Web of relationships. Kind of like pic related.

no problem famalam:^)

So when I have to set an automake version environment variable, do I just put 1.9.6 or the whole 1.9.6p11?

If you download the official ISO from the microsoft site it should include a usb bootable media tool. Yes you can still pirate that shit.

I just reinstalled stock firmware on my galaxy s4 and let it install "software update"s and now I'm running lollipop.
Now this last "software update" states in update details:
>After updating, you will not be able to downgrade to the old software because of updates to the security policy.
Does this mean I can't install kitkat with odin after updating?

linky
microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

Very likely. I would suggest heading over to XDA before upgrading. A lot of times an upgrade will patch holes used to root or boot a custom rom. You should know what you're getting into and if there are any steps you should take before upgrading

Living with my parents for a while. I've set up a router in bridge mode upstairs to extend the range of their gateway, but for some reason it has some degree of signal degradation on a wired connection in the form of packet loss on my xbox. Connecting to the gateway itself via wireless resulted in no packet loss. Any ideas as to why that would be? There was a double NAT issue, but that should've been straightened out when I set up the bridge.

How do I fix this shit? The numbers I have always give me that error message. No e-mail has been associated with it.

So the modes are a little bit weird here. I'm assuming the two devices are connected by a physical cable. You either want to set the router as strictly an accesspoint (meaning a device that does no routing and just extends your wireless network) or bridge the gateway so that it functions only as a modem and doesn't put out wifi at all and probably does not allow you to access it's settings. If you do anything where both routers are broadcasing wifi symultaneously, there is potential for them to interfere with eachother.

I am following this disallow pasting a password thing. I get it when paypal makes you type it once for password changes, but why are people doing this? I can't come up with anything but retarded shit like blocking brute force attacks.

See, I'd considered wifi interference, but the trouble there is that the console was connected to the router (rendered an access point via bridging if I understand what I did, but to be honest I'm flying blind here) via ethernet. Wireless doesn't come into the equation in this situation, does it?

By all means let me know if I've done something wrong because I did want this router to be strictly an access point. After spending half the night trying and failing to get the fucker to cascade I resorted to bridging.

Best vpn server software for linux?

Is Linux better for programming than Windows? If so, why?

So you're saying there's ethernet between your gateway and your router, and also between your router and xbox? What is the name of the setting you changed on your router to put it in 'bridging mode'?

OpenVPN

I use exactly the terminology given to me in the support page which I followed, my dude.

linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=137888

Do any of you have experience coding emulators? If so, what are your experiences?

Check the emulation general on /vg/, they should be able to help you famalam

what new media download program can i get? atube catcher isnt working anymore for some reason

Well, I'd connect the line from your gateway directly to the xbox to see if you still have a problem that way. If that isn't it, then it sounds like the router might just be messing up, or maybe the short cable to the xbox is damaged. You could try putting the gateway in bridging mode and making the router your only router to see if that fixes the problem without changing anything physically. If it is your router at fault, you might try flashing a custom firmware like OpenWRT, or just buying a cheap switch to replace it if you don't need wifi on the second floor.

Please send help, I really need to get access to my account

You're probably better off looking on forums for people that have dealt with that exact problem. They would be better able to explain what works and what doesn't from experience

I did, I actually looked around a lot. And the people that managed to recover got it from filling the account recovery form of google and praying.

But it's fairly luck based if you don't have recovery methods, so I came here to see if anyone had any ideas.

Well if they're asking for a phone number that you've previously linked to your account, and you never had linked a number that they find acceptable, then there's really no way to make it work. Not unless you were able to transfer a linked number to a new phone company that they did find acceptable, and that would take a few days and probably end up costing more than you want to put into this, and might not work anyway. Practically speaking, if you've tried all possible numbers on both phone and text, that's it. Time to move on to the form. Be sure and fill it out while using an internet connection you usually use, because a matching ip can help your odds of success.

>tons of firefox crashes lately
>also getting lots of BSODs with memory-related error names
I'm guessing my RAM is failing?

Hey Sup Forums i need a replacement ac adapter for my speakers.
Would a 12v 1.6a(or above) work fine with pic related? 11.5 replacements seem to be hard to find. Thanks.

Should I replace SSD's in my laptop?

Why do you call yourself Small instead of Stupid now?

I am trying to make a boot-able Linux USB, for an EFI install. It seems simple enough, I have read many a tutorial on it. yet it never seems to work, even for the simple distros like Ubuntu.

I am now looking at my USB drives and finding that they (plural) seem to retain information that they shouldn't, old files still on them after reformatting and new partition table mapped. I have tried the BASH "cp" method and use Gparted to inspect and wipe, yet some of them don't seem to completely change. And now in closer inspection Gparted says odd things like
create empty partition table: check
clear old file system: check
set partition table on disk: check
create EX4 file system: error

How the heck can it get that far then fail, and have the old files still readable on the disk? Something is not right.

im thnking of buying a gtx1060. is it worth upgrading my monitor to a 1440p one? or would it be better to buy a gtx 1070 for 1440p gaming?

thanks in advance

Alright Sup Forums, why won't this post? I've tried booting with both the GPU and RAM, without the GPU, and without the GPU and RAM, each time no signal on the monitor and no POST sounds. I have no other spare parts and whenever I try to boot it all of the fans spin up. What do?

You don't seem to have a heat sink attached.

It's usually recommended to remove and reapply thermal paste when you lift the heat sink from the CPU. Whereever I've encountered this recommendation, however, it's in the context of somebody taking off a cooler that has been there for a while. Is it also the case if you happen to pull the cooler up from the CPU immediately after seating it for the first time?

If you didn't tighten it would probably be okay, but still not ideal. If it was tightened down at all you should clean and reapply.

xhamster doesnt support webm

so what do i use to convert webm to mp4?

I've got an L shaped, unfinished basement with a TV and receiver in the corner, +/- 500sq ft, pic is close enough.

Would a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker system be good enough to cover the whole area? Speaker size? Looking for a consistent sound, not super theater surround sound.

Any inexpensive speaker recommendations? Monoprice? Yard sales?

I forgot to back up EFS now my phone doesn't recognize sim.
What do?

What was the best 4:3 LCD monitor ever sold in terms of resolution and color accuracy?

It's a sensitive sally that's making the threads. Even on the wiki it says Stupid not small, fucking niggers

made this email scraper in python but it prints each of the emails in the html file twice
the reason i move it to emails.txt and read it again because i'm reading it from a .html file

how do i fix it/make it prettier?

I'm running an image grabber on Imagefap and DLing as many pictures as I can. I recently broke a million files and now I can't connect to IF, which I'm imagining is an IP ban. Unplugging my modem for a minute doesn't seem to do anything.

Would a VPN make this all better?

Is it possible to hide the Windows Defender icon in the taskbar after the Anniversary update? Tried "Turn system icons on or off" but it isn't showing up there.

Also is it possible to switch back to the old version of Sticky Notes? The new one sucks, the notes and text are too large and take up too much screen space.

Since Firefox 48 is a pile of transvestite shit with undigested corn in it what's the best FF fork nowadays? I'm a Windows baby and I don't belong in Sup Forums except /sqt/.

An .m2 SSD should be at least 8 times faster than whatever crap you posted on the left side.

SATA m.2 ssds exist, not every m.2 is NVMe

yes, those are hdd speeds.

I would like to play Ingress, but am a paranoid fuck.

Is there a way to have your activity uploaded, say, an hour after you were actually there?

I like the concept of the game a lot, but absolutely hate anyone with an account being able to track my movements. Suggestions appreciated for delayed upload.

What if I don't have a Windows install anywhere? How do I get the product key? I thought about buying the Windows 10 Home OEM from Amazon but a dude here told me that it was shit and it linked me to a site that I missed.

Sorry but your phone is fucked. Remember to back up next time.

does anyone know of a simple RFID reader you could use with javascript for a webapp (like with node webit) ?
maybe if it's using serial or HID it could be easily read?

is it worth it to learn perl? any tips or links to good sites to lern it on the best way? give me informations Sup Forums

I want to hide the menu bar for the gnome-terminal on arch linux, but every time i uncheck it and restart the terminal the menu bar will have reappeared, how do i permanently disable it?

What's to blame for this? I don't have this problem with Pastebin or YouTube. Is it 4chanX?

just run Gparted to change the entire disk partition to ZFS (the only one gentoo can be upgraded to) install ubunt, then upgrade it to gentoo by running sudo apt-get update && upgrade gentoo

PNY CS1311 is the SSD card I plan to buy for my next pc build.
Max read speed: 560 MB/s
Max write speed: 530 MB/s
Max transfer speed: 750 MB/s
Are these good specs?
I can get the 480 GB for 132€ on Amazon now, but I may find it at lower price in a fair I'm going to soon. Is it good value? Do you know this brand?

What was all the talk about cortana not being able to be disabled in the most recent windows 10 update? It doesn't even work for me now

TPG aint helping, so heres my question:
I wanted to put a new hard drive in my x220t, should I replace the hdd with an ssd or use a mSATA ssd?

how do i determine if input is link url or file path in python?
without just if input == "link" --> do smth

What's the best z170 mobo under $300?

I'm lost. The ones with the 10 phases are Assrock and I had a bad experience with these boards.
EVGA boards are good, but they went full retard and the boards don't have any usb 2.0 headers.
Asus boards have low as fuck ratings everywhere and complains about shitty customer service.

What the fuck do I buy?

is there any good online source to finding a job?

startup did the startup thing and i'm out of a job

>its the only time in the last 5 years theres no open dev jobs in this town
PANIC

>luckily i can collect unemployment
but thanks to florida would only be about half of my paychecks hardly covering rent

I doubt your ability to code, user. I really do.

whatever nerd, when i was 16 i reversed the encryption used on a messaging system by disassembling the application and running through all the functions

at least i was making 40K last week

now i'm making 5K

STARTUP LIFE IS SO MUCH FUN AND NOT STRESS INDUCING AT ALL

just buy a Samsung pro evo 850 for about the same price.

Yet you still have no idea what dice, monster, linkedin, and USA jobs is all about.

Life skills. You need dem. I suggest tending bar. You'll learn more of what you need to know.

how set transparent borders in i3 like this?

i know.. need compton. my problem is with colors

Whenever I turn on my laptop, it powers on for a few seconds then turns off, then turns on again and proceeds to boot normally. It never did this before, should I be worried?

is toshiba tv a real 10bit panel or they're lying?

256 GB of that have the same price as a 480 GB PNY and they don't seem to perform better for what I can judge by looking at specs and users' screenshots. One more questions: are all Sata 6GB/s ports retrocompatible with SATA 3 GB/s interfaces?

Don't know where you are looking, in Germany and most surrounding countries 480Gb is €138 right now.

#fff

Using Ccleaner on a external HDD. I've never done it before, is there a catch?

someone?

linked keeps showing shit i'm not qualified for like mechanical engineering when i'm a software engineer

dice literally doesn't list anything where i live
neither does USAjobs

i've gotten a few jobs off craigslist including grooveshark, but theres literally nothing even on there like "shitty website for muh dog"

i was told you need to pay for monster to really use it so i haven't

>literally 5 seconds ago someone from across the building (incubator) finally needs some work for $20/hr

saved

turns out this guy builds hardware random number generators

has a dozen patents and gobment money

movin on up

is there a decent, freeware, alternative to displayfusion?

Why are there 100 versions of the same graphics card

Which 1070 would you recommend for this build (I heard bad stuff about the FE's stock cooler)

pcpartpicker.com/list/z3Bn7h

I found a very old laser mouse and I was wondering how do I clean the motherboard from all that dust and shit?

what's a good projector for a small home theater

How would one quickly change multiple folder icons at a time?

I'm getting started in compsci in uni this fall. Is there any opencourseware, book or whatever I should complete to be more prepared for what's about to come?

Yeah the reference cooler is garbage. The card is basically the same no matter the manufacturer, some are overclocked or some shit. The big difference is the cooler.
Msi/gigabyte/asus/evga are the most popular brands
Inno3d has been gaining some popularity lately but their ichill cooler is loud as fuck

You can't formulate searches, trust what others tell you, and think you're saved at $20/hr.

You can't think. No wonder the start-up failed.

Don't tell me, you're a minority. . . .

Yeah sorry, I was looking in the wrong place. Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB is 140€ here, for what I must do on my SSD I should probably go with a Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB which is around 90€.

Evos are not faster per say, but they give consistent performance close to fair 6 gbits, while others give 6 gbits only under certain conditions.

At the beginning I was oriented towards a PNY SSD because lots of people claimed that they performed better than more famous brands even though they're cheaper. Samsung 850 Evo is declared to have a longer life span though, then it might be a better long time investment. I'm going to install OS, games, programs (like browsers and LibreOffice), music and maybe even images on the SSD, while I'm going to keep everything else on the external WD 1TB HDD.

Is Unetbootin only meant for creating Live drives?
Is that why I'm having so much trouble burning netinstalls with it?

what happens when you initialize an integer value to a String variable?
int someInt = 34128357418
String bleh = String(someInt);
then what would "bleh" look like if i printed it to the output window?

Can anyone provide me with an up to date guide of how to make a bootable GNU/inux USB drive? I've tried a few different methods from youtube videos but they've all failed to boot.

pls helperu

Using bash to get a specific line of text from a webpage.

Is using wget the only way to do this? I ask because it would likely be slow as fuck since I have to do it for several hundred urls.

thanks.

It would look the same as if you printed out someInt.