.Need a GPU desperately, my PC is just gathering dust now. About to buy Gigabyte 1060 for 325€ in Europe...

.Need a GPU desperately, my PC is just gathering dust now. About to buy Gigabyte 1060 for 325€ in Europe. RX480 is almost out of the question now.

My main concerns and questions are:

1) Everyone is talking that 480 is more future proof than 1060 and that 1060 wont age well. Is this true? If yes, how long will it last me?

2) Is 325€ too much for this? Any idea when we can expect a price drop?

3) Are there any cheaper 1060's around? I dont need this LED shit Gigabyte has going for this card and they are obviously asking a premium for that. I just need a card that works.

Thanks for all the replies

bamp

guise please help

Summary of the situation related to your questions:
1) Whether or not the 1060 is going to age well compared to rx 480 is speculative. The 1060, albeit more expensive, is better now.
2) It's a lot, but us Europoors have to decide on our own whether it's worth it.
3) Supply is still low as far as i can see and I don't expect the price to drop.

kys

>1) Everyone is talking that 480 is more future proof than 1060 and that 1060 wont age well. Is this true? If yes, how long will it last me?

Present 1060 is 5-10 faster than 480
In two years, 480 is going to be 10-15% faster than 1060. You decide what is convenient for you.

>2) Is 325€ too much for this? Any idea when we can expect a price drop?
That is a acceptable price in Europe. I am expecting below 300 in a couple of months though.

>3) Are there any cheaper 1060's around? I dont need this LED shit Gigabyte has going for this card and they are obviously asking a premium for that. I just need a card that works.

Buy good brands always. Better to spend 20-30 eur more and avoid coil whine and other annoying crap. Read customers reviews.

>In two years, 480 is going to be 10-15% faster than 1060. You decide what is convenient for you.
Source?

>Source?

Look at every AMD gpu from 2-3 years ago and the performance on them when they first came out to now. r9 290x has increased by 130% or something

Great answers, thanks. I think im going to go with this 1060 then.

Buy an R9 390, better than the 480

First of all buy MSI instead.

Tho at this price you can get 980/390x or just go cheap and 970 for 200eu and wait out then resell for 150.

Or a fury. It is just 350€

This, except #3.

Retailers do price gouge with any new release, especially as they're always in limited supplies. It's free money, why would they not?

Whether it'll drop in the next few weeks, few months, or not until after new year, no one really knows. Prices will drop as demand drops (in theory).

Depends how much you need it. I really really do not need a 480 at all, but I still want one, so I'm just going to let price drop before I actually consider getting one. If you need it soon, obviously you can't do that.

The 1060 is much more future proof than the 480 because games always support Nvidia cards better.

Actually in two years time the 1060 is going to be 250% faster than the 480 due to Nvidia optimizations.

Which 1070 is worth getting?

There is gainward 1060 for 300€ at my local shop. Should i?

Get a 1080 GTX mate, that's more future proof

If you plan on replacing the card in 2-3 years, the 1060 is fine. If you want to keep it longer than that the 480 will be the better option.

>1 futureproof
If anything, GCN products have shown to be more futureproof. They gain more with driver updates over time, where as nvidia stuff stays same or lose out.
>2 325 too much?
Yes. This card is supposed to be $249 USD. Thats 222 EU, if VAT is 20%, then thats 267. You're paying an additional 20% tax for no reason.

>3 Cheaper 1060
No idea.

Guise please tell me if gainward is decent brand for 1060. I dont want to be cucked