Tells computer class I use Linux

>tells computer class I use Linux
>everybody laughs at me

Don't worry, user. When the police surveillance state takes over, you'll be the first one carted off to jail for not using a "compliant" system.

Tell them to enjoy their long boot times as you turn on yours in under 5 seconds.
Provided op fell for ssd meme.

>writing a childrens story in emacs
>someone observes me in class (from behind)
>"I think hes hacking dude"

That frog is impaled on a nail.
>animals were harmed in the production of this jaypeg.

>revealing your power level
user...

You gotta know your audience before speaking shit like that.

You say that at a table full of software developers, they will not laugh. You say that shit in front of selfie obsessed qt3.14's, they will either not know what you're talking about or just laugh (what a nerd, rofl).

what is wrong with your taking Sup Forums memes to the outside world and not expecting to be ridiculed

>You say that at a table full of software developers

Why don't you try it out?
I can 100% guarantee you they will be rolling in the floor laughing

>software developers
programmers

>Linux is just a Sup Forums meme
Get the fuck out, you retard.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Can confirm, has happened to me too many times.

Autism.

>they all laughed
You said you used ubuntu, didn't you?
Admit it.

>sit in class
>open up my laptop
>running Manjaro LxQT
>hit ctrl+shift+z to open my terminal
>open vim
>start typing in the date and whatever is on the whiteboard for today's class
>dude next to me asks what I'm programming

>still in denial

the time when you realize you got meme'd hard will come soon enough

I don't even use Linux, dumbass. I do know that it's not a shitty meme though. Enjoy shitting up the board, you'll be back in middle school soon enough, Johnny.

kek
stay butthurt linuxcuck

>2005, in middle school
>computer class becomes a thing
>a couple of classes in, I ask the teacher whether we'll learn about Linux (my dad had a computer with Slackware on it and I was curious about it)
>"No, we're just gonna learn about how to work with MS Office - creating presentations, formatting Word documents properly and doing tables in Excel)
>this shit went on for 3 years

Thankfully I learned more about Linux at home and from what little books there were for it in the city library.

Eat a dick you piece of shit

The Linux Cuck is Mad!

>neo-Sup Forums hates linux

>12 year old edgelord's first week on Sup Forums

>using linux

shitty troll/10

Thank you for your service. $0.01 has been deposited into your account.

Why do I get the feeling that this is a pasta?

The fuck are you on about?

fuck them
you have your waifu, she will never betray you

Stay mad Linux shill.

o my god guis he's so mad XDD LE TROLED
(rageface) fuuu XD

oh nothing mr linux shiller

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Lmao why would you use an os made BY and FOR dirty commie third worlders instead of the Industry Standards WIndows and OSX?

the head of linux is a beardy old man who eats his toejam..what does that fucking say about the os itself?

I much prefer Tim Cock and Salty Nutella's OSes, and so should you, Sup Forums.

>shilling a free OS
Seriously why are you on a technology board if all you're doing is shitting on it? Go be 12 somewhere else.

You too

Maximum autism.

Try harder

I just wrote it; It's not.. but it is the kind of thing you'd read on the occasional story threads.

That's what you get for attending a coding bootcamp.

This is what they really said to OP.
A computer class wouldn't laugh at you for using Linux.

>study IT @ uni
>many of the students including me have experience with Linux beforehand
>we've studied it in various classes
>i.e. a lot of us run it on our systems

pick the education where you are best suited OP, just saying.

>be me
>durring 7th grade in computer class
>mac cuck teacher with a class full of macs
>teacher has screen mirroring on all the computers.
>open up sticky notes and protest that linux and windows is better.
i wonder if he ever saw it

Are you me?

Just passing through

the best kind of Linux user doesn't tell anyone he's using it until someone asks 'what the fuck is that?' then you tell them

I used it all throughout business school and no one really ever noticed and I never said anything.

Yes.

>GET THE FUCK OFF MY BOARD RRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>loonix is the only thing of value I have, better defend it with my life :'(

>anti Linux
>on a technology board
Choose one

what kind of fucking autist values privacy and freedom.
just get a big old facebook dick and stick it in my ass. i love apps.

I don't even use Linux and have a wonderful life.

>things that never happened for 400

kek

you deserved it

Le ebin xd. Great troll famalam :^)

>Not fighting back
This is why I stay on /k/ because all of Sup Forums are cucks

/thread

Lost

Everyone following Linux for the past 15 years know Linux is going nowhere. At the time Linux is remotely competitive people will probably have neurotransmitter in their heads. The only way Linux can ever catch up is - stalemate on hardware - many years in advance no big architecture changes happens and no performance jumps. Like cars - new car in the same class and brand is just like the old one. The only difference is minor gadgets. The other thing is constant fuckups from M$ and Apple. Good for Linux both are present at the same time. The bad is they still cant catch up. Main problem is that Linux need to get rid of some legacy stuff and and get a build up from there.

>get rid of some legacy stuff
Poettering GTFO

>studied programming at uni
>people use wincuck
>ask what "skin" I use for my "window"
>suicidecat.jpg

>In engineering 101 or whatever the fuck
>sitting in a small lecture fall
>first day
>professor asks if anyone uses Linux on their laptops
>too much of a pussy to raise my hand because afraid of being judged

Ended up dropping the class midway through the semester

>Tell everyone in my degree related classes I use Linux
>The worship me like I am some sort of god.

> implying that old legacy shit isn't killing Linux

Fuck off, GNU shill. Your shitty software is the reason Free Software isn't king.

>using serpent disk encryption with 512 bit key
>ancient HDD
>systemd
>8 year old chinkpad
It takes around as long as in Windows XP days

>>hit ctrl+shift+z to open my terminal
degenerate

When Cortana starts exterminating mankind by microsoft id order they won't be laughing any longer

>first day CS
>professor is using some hipster bullshit called 'emacs'
>stand up
>call him a macfag
>walk out

>Main problem is that Linux need to get rid of some legacy stuff
kek, acting like Apple and M$ don't have 10 metric fucktons of legacy ass running on their hardware

what specific legacy stuff are you talking about?
nothing that actually affects an average user?

Everybody uses Linux, that's why they laughed at you. Even by using Google you use Linux lol

>Reads interjection
>still refers to gnu+linux as linux
Kill yourself

Legacy stuff like what? Linux is perfectly unredundant.

that's what I thought which is why I asked

Sorry replied to the wrong lad.

There was this guy in one of my CS labs. He was running lunix on a laptop, with a tablet beside him. His workflow was:

2 mins watching breaking bad on the tablet
2 mins writing some code
2 mins switching to a workspace that looked like a full screen terminal that seemed to just print green text nonstop like some cliche hacker in a movie

Fucking stupid to watch. I couldn't get a close enough look to see what the fuck he constantly had going in his terminal. Part of me suspected it really was just a farce so he looks like a hacker.

Linux is reliable if you know what you're doing, Windows is easy to use.
Windows XP was both and I'm still mad so I'll take it out on both Windows and Linux.

Linux has been easy to use for the last 5+ years now. Most popular distros are easy to install, easy to set up, come with all the drivers you need for most hardware, and have all the programs you need to do most basic computing functions (internet, email, office shit, etc) already installed.

It only gets "hard" (see: tedious and annoying) when you want to do more involved shit, which most people dont really need to do anyways. I think if you took an old person who never used computers and introduced them to a linux pc and a windows 10 pc, they'd have an easier time learning and understanding the linux os (I'm talking distros like debian or fedora). Most people dont need the terminal, or to even install programs.

Software installs fall into three categories I've found:
>wizards
>terminal
>app store

Wizards are my favourite since they give you the control of a terminal install but the ease of an app store install, but they're uncommon for Linux. When I see one it's always a port of a Windows program.

>not using a meshnet between a local network for sharez, warez, music

If brazillians can do it, so can we

>programmers
coders

Underaged

You were saying?

This physically hurts me

I believe you are thinking of Cuba. I saw a Vox video on it

Get back to me when laptop manufacturers start making superior ergonomic layouts scrub

>each keypress makes a loud click
>sorry

Say you have 2 computers connected to a LAN, but you aren't connected to the internet on either of them. You are still able to transfer files between the computers easily. Now, if you were connected by a wireless router, any computer within the range of the wireless signal will be able to transfer files between each other. Then you decide to use a signal booster to increase the range of your wireless network so that you'll be able to share files with everyone in your neighborhood.

This is where my idea comes in. Internet connections usually cost money to maintain, you have to spend more to get more bandwidth and plus they are slower than direct LAN/WLAN connections. What if you were to give out signal boosters to people all over the city, and go on for every square-mile until your LAN can be accessed by millions of people? Hell, with strong enough signal boosters it should be theoretically possible to spread it all across North America. Everyone would be able to share files/folders with everyone else, WITHOUT needing access to the internet. IP addresses can't even be used to track down because it's a network without internet access, your IP address would not be associated with any ISP.

Download speeds would be amazing, they would only be limited by the strength of the wireless signal, so in any urban area you'd never get speeds lower than 10MB/s. At first it would just be like a P2P program where you'd download files from other people's shared folders, but then websites would not cost anything to host because it's just a matter of putting your website in a shared folder and leaving your computer on.

****, everything about this sounds awesome. The only downside I could see of this is that being connected to the same network leaves everyone's computers wide open to hackers... who gives a ****, I want to try this. I wonder how much money it would cost to start out and get enough of a signal to cover a few blocks.

>Dem linksys routers can totally handle millions of clients
Also, signal power requirements would get absurd.
Also, your router totally uses IP addresses, along with everything else connected to anything. Even two computers connected to each other by ethernet crossover.

There's more alsos, but that just seems mean.

I am a programmer. That is, an actual programmer. Assembler and C. And a tiny bit of C++.

From personal experience I can say that Windows is a technological piece of shit, but it's easy to use. People claiming that it's an "industrial standard" will be the same who tell you that the entire computer world consists of Intel x86/x64 processors - IOW they are full of shit. BUT most people don't have to worry about that. What works for them, works for them.

Linux on the other hand is technologically more advanced. Example? Linux has a fucking mremap. Even BSD has one. But Windows doesn't. It requires you to create an entirely new mapping and then copy your data. Also, it does not support huge pages to avoid TLB misses. On the other hand Linux has major interface problems and lacks proper hardware support for some devices (I have never gotten my fucking GTX850M running properly on Linux, even with the latest kernel). Many programmers are completely incompetent (see the Firefox or Gnome faggots who think that more powerful hardware compensates for their retarded codebase, so they don't give a fuck anymore and just fuck around with their code) or outright insane (why does send/sendfile trigger a signal handler to be called when it could equally just return fuckin' EPIPE?).

Both systems are shit. The difference is that Linux allows you to dig into it and make it a little less shit. Hey, at least I got PCSX2 compiling on Linux, that's more than I have achieved on Windows. I didn't get it to RUN on Linux, through ... but on Windows.

tl; dr; People who favour one operating system without admitting it has flaws are talking out of their asses.

This is truth. Most people don't like to look at operating systems in a nuanced way because they prefer the drama of being a fanboy. But in reality there are clear pros and cons. I think Linux is a good think to use if you want to tinker and learn. If that is you then it is perfect for your purpose.

Using jargon that only people like you would know is a clear sign that all that you aim for with this post is a circlejerk, since only people like you will understand what you're talking about.

12s on a HDD
this computer is 7 years old

This is Sup Forums. If you don't understand what people are writing, and you do not educate yourself about it, it's your fault, not mine.

>Taking class notes with vim

There's a huge amount of tech information out there, but it's all aimed at people who are seriously applying it so it's far too impractical to educate oneself on every little bit of jargon.

Actually making sure people know what you're talking about with brief indicators of meaning is a critical conversational skill, you learn it by engaging in interesting discussions with eclectic groups as opposed to circlejerking with what is effectively a mirror.

I repeat myself, this is fucking Sup Forums. Maybe I don't want to talk with people who cannot be bothered to actually get on my fucking level. Maybe I want to talk to people who are smarter than I am, not dumber. Maybe I want to talk to people who know enough about an topic to recognize that I know what I am talking about, and I do not give two shits about people who cannot be bothered to fucking google "Windows mremap" for five minutes.

If the necessity arises, I am going to explain exactly what the problem is.
This is no such occasion.

how do they even know to laugh at Linux?