Question for Macfags or non Macfags

I just started using a 2013 Retina MacBook Pro 13" that I got from work. I've been using a Chromebook Pixel that my sister gave me for a while now for all my shitposting needs.

Why the fuck does the text seem so much more crisp on the Pixel than the MacBook Pro? I'm seriously getting a headache looking at this screen compared to the Pixel. I don't think it has that much higher a PPI does it?

I don't want to turn this into an ideological battle, I didn't pay for either one of these laptops and I only use them for shitposting anyway, but the Pixel screen seems significantly better, with the exception of it crappy image retention, and the Pixel trackpad seems much nicer to me as well.

These are the first two nice laptops I've ever really used and I just assumed the MacBook would be just as nice as the Pixel. Wtf is Sup Forums actually right, is Apple a meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Oct/0014.html
bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=541846
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Stops asking shit as if any of our OPINIONS are facts, faggot.

While true I was curious if anyone else had noticed this or if I just need to adjust the default res or fonts or something. I should have specified I'm on the macOS public beta 4.

>Mac
Found your problem.

Makes sense but seeing as everyone goes on about the importance Apple puts into UI/UX I was pretty surprised at the Pixel screen being so much better to my eyes.

>everyone

Those are just shills. It's difficult but try not to fall for their tricks.

Thanks for the advice, I'm glad I didn't pay for this thing. Tbh in my brief time with the MacBook I'm actually finding macOS pretty darn nice. The laptop itself is very solidly built and runs much cooler than my Pixel and the battery life seems great.

I just can't get over how the screen looks compared to the Pixel, which isn't exactly known for being praised here either. I don't know if it has something to do with the font rendering or if the resolution difference actually makes that big a deal. I don't even have perfect eyesight and its really bothering me.

Try changing the brightness? I don't think that would be a problem, but it makes a huge difference for the clarity of mine

Thanks, I usually have my screen brightness fairly low but I've tried many different settings. It still seems much less sharp than the Pixel.

mAcOs10 has shit font rendering
they love to make their stuff bold
horrible

I'm using a retina, and honestly knowing Apple, it's probably the same/a little better than your pixel, while the reg is sub par lol. Still nice computers though

Mine is also a Retina MacBook Pro. Maybe its just the font rendering? I'm just surprised I'm noticing it as much as I am doing simple web browsing and document editing.

Looks fine to me. I'm sure this is just a bait thread, though.

Check out the display settings in the system preferences

System Preferences -> General -> Turn off "Use LCD font smoothing when available". Then reboot.
This doesn't turn off all font hinting, but it turns off sub-pixel hinting which is unnecessary with such a high DPI.

Pixel 239 ppi, MBP Retina 220 ppi. So the Pixel has slightly higher density display. For your usage, a real computer is a complete waste and you are better off with the Pixel. It also gets better battery life for extended shitposting sessions. Finally, it conveniently sends all your personal info directly to the Panopticon, so future employers will be sure to have complete access to your full shitpost history when they do a Google search on your name.

Nope, seriously, this is not a bait thread. I've never used a Mac for any extended period of time before and assumed there would be things to get used to but I wasn't expecting such a difference in the sharpness I'm perceiving.

Cool, will do. Thanks for the tip, I'll see if this solves my issues.

>Pixel 239 ppi, MBP Retina 220 ppi
Yeah, this definitely doesn't seem like enough of a difference for my eyes to be able to notice so easily.

>Finally, it conveniently sends all your personal info directly to the Panopticon, so future employers will be sure to have complete access to your full shitpost history when they do a Google search on your name
Sweet. I'm going to be a shoe in for my next job!

Probably font hinting/antialiasing choices. Apple has always been solidly in the font shape matters over all else camp. Microsoft has been in the strong hinting in favor of crisp edges camp. Other people are often somewhere in-between.

>buying a $1000 chromebook

Thanks for the help. I think turning off font smoothing has made a big improvement. I'm trying to spot the difference side by side and both displays look pretty darn similar now.

Interesting. Any idea why Apple has gone in that direction? Again, I don't have particularly great eyes and coming from the Pixel's screen the MacBook looked awful to me.

My sister worked at Google and it was her laptop for a while. She gave it to me when she no longer needed it.

With the exception of the anemic built in storage its actually a pretty fantastic machine. I find the 3:2 screen to be far nicer for shitposting/reading/writing purposes than something wider. And the resolution is great.

I know Apple gets a ton of praise for their trackpads but after using the MacBook for a few days I'm actually preferring the Pixel's trackpad still. It doesn't have as many multitouch gestures but the feel of it seems nicer to me. The MacBook trackpad feels very plasticy to me. The Pixel's both feels much smoother when gliding my fingers across while at the same time having a better tactile feel. It almost feels like very fine satin as apposed to the MacBook which just feels like glass or plastic.

Gonna need pics of this sister OP

Kek, I walked right into that one.

Make a Chrome OS USB stick and see if it looks better, it's probably OS X's shit font rendering.

>OS X's shit font rendering
Literally the only thing they got right.

Good idea. I'll try it out. It looks much better now that I turned font smoothing off.

Maybe its the actually system font that I had a problem with but to my eyes it looked like shit compared to the Pixel.

Small rant but it also seems really dumb that even after enabling tap to click the initial login screen still requires an actual click.

because you obviously are a shill

How so?

Always the same: Shills always put the reader or listener in a position where the receiver has to act. Usually this easily be done by asking questions:

Examples:
>This camera is bretty gud, do you also take pictures yourself?

>Why aren't you using XY?

>Would you rather do dumb thing 1 or smart thing 2?
The answer is smart thing 2. 3, the shills employer sells 2.

>What's the best XY?
and then samefagging XY by Z, there employer

shilling selling 101

But you knew this already, didn't you?

Different screens
Different gpu's
Different drivers

You'd be surprised how different GPUs can be when it comes to your comfort. Same with drivers.

Screens obviously have massive differences.

Um, I guess that's a nice breakdown but I don't work for either Apple or Google. And I have some pretty glaring faults with both pieces of hardware I'm currently using.

I think the overall conclusion I've come to is that I would actually have a really hard time recommending either machine if you were going to be spending $1k+.

Very true. Although I'm sort of surprised I haven't read more in depth reviews about these smaller differences between two pretty similarly priced laptops. Perhaps I just haven't been reading closely enough.

>ITT
>google sabotages chrome's font rendering in macOS
lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Oct/0014.html
bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=541846
and so on
>google shills claim chrome pixel has better font rendering
get lost or actually post screenshots of safari on macOS vs Chrome on ChromeOS

Chrome in that screenshot looks better, to be honest family.

Not really. Looks like the thickness of the lines aren't consistent.

Colors of it are all over the place too.