Should I just trade my PC for a 4ghz smartphone?

Should I just trade my PC for a 4ghz smartphone?
sammobile.com/2016/08/09/samsung-reportedly-testing-10nm-exynos-8895-processor-with-4ghz-peak-speed/

Yes do it op

do whatever you want

do it faggot

When is the galaxy s8 coming out? And will I have some sort of cooling?

What the fuck are you gonna do with that "power" if the OS your phone is running is catastrophic and the input methods along with the screen itself is shit too. This fucking opsession with overpowered phones is sick, where did the need for good battery life and low temperatures go? Fucks sake we have fucking octa core phones with 5.5" for god damn snapchat. Don't do it user you god damn idiot how do you even think this is a good idea holy moly

Go for it OP.
If everything you do is watch online videos and shitpost, then a phone or a tablet is more than adequate for your needs.

Also
>10nm
It seems like we have max 5 years of silicon tech left if this keeps up.
Can't wait for photonic CPUs to arrive.

But Normies told me it the lens of the camera didn't count, it's all about those megapixels number. Higher is better right? I mean that how market works and it worked so far

Ha ha comedic man Xd :^)
Don't trade your fucking computer, retard.

You know a phone could actually replace a laptop if it didn't have an angry birds processor.

This is why I'm looking forward to receiving my WIN GPD i recently pre-ordered. Until phone companies start using x86 Core-M or Zen processors + let you natively boot an x86 windows desktop OS then phone will always be crippled computers imho.

The x86 Zenfone 2 looked promising but they never released one that would dual-boot desktop wangblows and android. Despite that the VM of x86 windows desktop OSs it could run was still pretty cool.

too bad it runs Android

4GHz peak, 800MHz sustained.

>super high clock speed
>tiny cache and awful implementation of an architecture
you won't fool me samshit, I'm already keen on ayymd's "high speed, high drag" tactics

You'd be surprised, the exynos 8890 found on the Note 7 has about the same performance of a 2.4 GHz haswell i3 laptop processor now.

The ARM architecture has come a long way since the A7-cortex housefires.

However all this raw performance does not make up for the lack of useful software you will only find on computers with x86 processors.

>botnet os
>horrible interface
>shit multitasking
>always open apps bullshit
>touchscreen is fucking garbage
>apps are either botnet, adware, shitware, worthless, or any/all of the above
>so bad at doing what it is DESIGNED TO DO (browse the internet) that they have to reimplement a fucking web browser for every single site just so people can fucking use it or have to completely redesign the website to accomodate that shitty fucking goddamn device
SMARTPHONES ARE FUCKING CANCER. END THIS FUCKING GARBAGE NOW.

>i've never been had pussy: the post

And honestly I wouldn't be surprised if this was viral marketing bullshit from Samsung. Fuck you marketing shits for making people believe smartphones are good.

>I don't have a brain: the post
Stop being an idiot and think for once in your GODDAMN underage life.

Nobody cares about multicore performance.

>Stop being an idiot and think for once in your GODDAMN underage life.
Holy shit man you just scream 30 year old neet who lives in his parents basement. Shave that 10 ft long neckbeard, lose weight, get a job, and get some pussy my man before you kill yourself lmao.

>all programs run on a single CPU thread
k

>falling for the gigahurtz meme
show some x264 benchmarks

Nobody cares about VIDYA GAEM performance

>2k16
>software encoders/decoders
wew boi

>not having a phone means you don't have a life
We managed for fucking FOREVER just fine without this garbage.

And did you even READ what I said? How in the living fuck can you even argue against ANY of that? Are you really this brainwashed and/or stupid?

Or are you just a fucking marketing shithead trying to keep his thread alive?

Either way, you're dumb.

k16
>>software encoders/decoders
>wew boi
You realize hardware encoders are dogshit right? They're basically the equivalent of using the ultra fast preset and the baseline profile with a software encoder. Quality is ALWAYS terrible or file sizes extremely excessive.

I don't get it, why won't they produce desktop CPU's as well? seems like they have the power or do they? is the x86 licensing issue or what?

>Either way, you're dumb.
nigga get a life for real, I never even said phones could replace computers.

>mom i cant encode my korean cartoons on a palm-sized device

There's no desktop software for the ARM architecture.

so it runs at 4 ghz for two seconds and then goes into hibernation to cool down for several hours

fucking this.

I have a 5820k for encoding blurays and people always ask why I dont just use my GPU for encoding because its so much faster.

If I wanted fast I wouldn't be doing my own encodes in the first place.

can't they just use x86 tho?

Phones can't even stand on their own, they are a garbage technology that not only are poorly executed but an actual tracking device/botnet that rapes your privacy like nothing else.

Please, PLEASE, FUCKING PLEASE, SOCIETY, STOP THIS INFUCKINGSANITY, I CANNOT TAKE IT ANY MORE. How in the living fuck do people actually believe this garbage, privacy-raping SHIT technology is anything but complete, utter trash? HOW?

>make laptop shell without any guts, just trackpad/kb/screen and usb ports
>have slot in bottom where you can plunk your phone in
>laptop shell runs a desktop version of phone's OS with kb/m interface, everything is powered by phone
>sell versions with extra hardware in case more proc power is needed

Why has nobody popularized this yet?
Most people don't need that much processing power in their day to day lives, and phones are pretty powerful these days. It'd be really convenient, especially if all the phone functions just carried over onto the desktop/laptop version.

Or is there some huge glaring flaw I'm not seeing in this?

I don't think you understand, the file sizes you get with the ultra fast preset and baseline profile are staggering.

I'm talking about like 60+GB for a 1080p movie vs just 8GB with the slow preset and high profile for the same visual quality.

Anyway the point of hardware encoders is to quickly make video streams available to users on mobile devices when recording video. Outside of that hardware encoders are just a meme.

Only AMD, intel, and some other chink company are legally allowed to make x86 processors.

Pic related: you

I see no way you can implement planned osolescence into this. Maybe, make keyboard from waffles or candy?

Interfacing between the two is not that simple really, and requires some serious work both regarding hardware and regarding software. Microsoft basically tried that, but it turns out, nobody really gives a shit.

And I understand. I just wouldn't want to work on my smartphone. My smartphone is my smartphone and sometimes keeping things separate is actually nice.

Does VIA still make any x86 crap?

Nope, they pretty much gave up.

>smartphone still core part of the concept
>so the concept is somehow less affected by planned obsolescence than smartphones themselves
I know you wanna funpost but you gotta put some more effort into this

What's wrong in making 15-watt ARM cpu with full pcie lanes and make a laptop out of it?

stop posting on Sup Forums

are going to make 32 core version for x86 based windows?

Phone hardware can still become outdated, and if you really wanted, you could introduce new features into the laptop shells that make them incompatible with older models.

If you wanted to be a dick.

Maybe you understand this regardless, but I didn't mean interfacing between two different autonomous pieces of hardware. I was thinking the laptop shell would basically function exactly like a plug-in m+kb, and the screen just a display mirror. Everything is handled by the phone itself, and the laptop is an accessory that functions as a manifestation of the same device.

For chromebooks and lunix crapboxes it would work.
But not for the general consumer market since most of them use Windows either out of habit or force. And Windows doesn't play nicely with ARM (or anything non-x86 at least).
Just look at Windows RT and how that turned out.

you mean chromebooks?

But Linux is fine on those, amirite?
AAnd what about PowerPC and other RISC-type architectures?
Chromebooks have tablet-grade cpus and 4 gigs of memory, that's awful.

Linux works pretty well on anything as long the CPU in question is new-ish.
You won't find some packages in the repositories because they use x86-specific instructions that ARM doesn't have or the developer doesn't want to implement it's equivalent.

How is x86 power efficiency in mobile devices now? Is it still so far behind ARM it's not even worth considering?

>How is x86 power efficiency in mobile devices now? Is it still so far behind ARM it's not even worth considering?
Power efficiency is actually higher on the x86 architecture. You can see this especially on the Xeon-D 1540 which has the multi-core performance of a desktop i7 but a max tdp of just 45 watts.

However there are no smartphone Xeon D processors for phones and intel has had limited success in the phone market so they pretty much gave up.

In the server world ARM is a huge joke with even older xeons beating anything ARM in power efficiency.

Samsung cut back on megapixels for a better lens though.

If you dont like smartphones don't buy one you idiot