Storing Terabytes of data

Whats the best external and physical way to store terabytes of data?
>Budget of 200-300 USD

Other urls found in this thread:

beautifuldecay.com/2014/07/16/gruesome-hyperrealist-oil-paintings-hacked-body-parts-fabio-magalhaes/?view=true
amazon.com/HITACHI-0F10311-2-0TB-3-0Gb-Buffer/dp/B002WGH2QK
youtube.com/watch?v=XQVoom2EDQs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

if it's just for storage, then tape.

>HP LTO-6 Ultrium Tape can write or read data at a blistering 1.4 TB/hour, storing, encrypting and protecting up to 3 TB (up to 6.25 TB compressed) on a single cartridge. A 70% increase in the number of tracks has increase the bit density, allowing more data to be recorded in the same amount of tape: from 1,280 tracks for LTO-5 to 2,176 tracks for 6th generation HP LTO-6 Tape 6.25 TB cartridges. LTO Ultrium tape cartridge memory chip delivers faster access time and enhanced media monitoring.

what the fuck is that?

6.25 TB for $24.00 but you pay more for the reader.

The Cloud™

400 MB/s (2.5:1) transfer speeds as well. should i make a server with this?

Only terabytes?
Grab 3 $100 4TB drives

Some sort of external raid configuration probably, probably the cheapest and safest way is a raid 6 configuration with loads of cheap disks from ebay

3k for the tape deck is absurd

You really need more specifics.

>terabytes
Two terabytes?
Twelve terabytes?
Two hundred terabytes?

there should be cheaper ones.

~$2600 for the drive is certainly not so cheap, but in the long run, if you have lots of archiving to do and with the extra benefit of security it might be worth it.

looks like dismembered body parts in a plastic bag

Dont worry bro its a painting ;)

beautifuldecay.com/2014/07/16/gruesome-hyperrealist-oil-paintings-hacked-body-parts-fabio-magalhaes/?view=true

What type of work would require more than 1000 tbs?

About 10 maximum for the moment but I suspect that going up later on. Im only keeping .mp3 and hours of video files

Just spend it all on hard drives dude

Which brand and where can I get them cheap

8TB Seagate ST8000AS0002 - $239.00 @ B&H
2TB Hitachi 0F10311 - $49.50 @ Amazon

Budget of $300 rules that out. Decent tape readers are fucking expensive.

Hard dicks still have the best price per GB and are the most convenient to work with.
Tapes might have better longevity but you'll probably want to refresh your data every 5 or so years so it doesn't make that much difference.

amazon.com/HITACHI-0F10311-2-0TB-3-0Gb-Buffer/dp/B002WGH2QK
This will work with a usb port on a laptop? Sorry Im tech illeterate

only with a Y cable.

That's my waifu you insensitive clod.

only for deep storage or backups
seek times for tapes suck

3 months of usin git

git?

Remember that dada on HDDs degrade if not written to relatively frequently.

>not knowing what git is

Welcome to Sup Forums friend.

I lost my boyfriend's son, have you seen him?

What is the price of the reader?

A day without your pills...

youtube.com/watch?v=XQVoom2EDQs

Why are the tape readers autismally expensive?

Tape storage is for backups you twit.

Bump because I appreciate this thread

Because businesses buy them and they need to be 100% reliable.

False.

Source: Me. Have HDD from 2001 that hasn't been touched in well, 15 years. I can plug it up right now and it'll still work with all data intact.

Good for backup, but I don't actually know any consumers that routinely use tape drives to read/write data to on a daily basis.

Tell that to a laptop I found from the early 90s. Booted right up.

i think you're using git wrong...

How many terabytes is terabytes? You can get 1TB internal hard drives for $40 and a $20 external case and just leave the top off. SATA is supposed to be hot swappable, but I would kill the power before yanking the drive. Be sure to buy in twos for the backup.

>What is the price of the reader?
An LTO-6 drive costs $2k-$4k new, maybe $1.5k for a used one on eBay.
They're not exactly high tech, so it's purely a matter of being low volume sales to price insensitive customers.

Are you having binaries in your repos by any chance?
If yes then go read a introductory book on git again.

Well, 4$/TB seemed too good to be true.

>Believing everything you read on the internet

On a whole bunch of small HDDs. I have a shitload (3TB worth) of 80GB HDDs. I make redundant backups. If one fails I can replace it for like $12.
>they're cheap
>they're everywhere
>one loose bolt won't sink my whole ship
>they're portable
>data is safe for a decade when unplugged if stored properly

You're thinking of SSDs.

There's occasionally some 2TB refurbished Hitachi enterprise hdds on eBay for $30 a pop. I'd go that route. You can get a cheap 3.5" sata enclosure on Amazon for $10.

Alternatively large (5tb+) SMR drives are starting to hit the second hand market, around $17-22 per terabyte I've seen.

I archive old media on HDDs. Blu rays may be technically cheaper but much more hassle and I don't trust them. Tape drives are expensive and not even that much cheaper. Get a USB3 SATA dock or a 5.25" hot swap bay (check motherboard compatibility)

Make sure to look up HDD cold storage advice. I keep mine in anti static bags with silica packets. All the data on them is technically replaceable (but that would be a right chore), and my favourite shows I make sure to have at least two copies of. I'm not really sure how long HDDs will last for, so make sure to always have at least two (preferably 3) copies of all essential data, record checksums and do integrity checks etc. Also, try and get young drives, but run them for a little while first to check they're reliable. I also don't like to use large drives (>1TB) so that I lose the least if one fails, on the other hand, I have more drives to potentially fail

Blue-Rays are propably more expesive.
10x25GB is about ~30$ at best. You can get a 500GB+ for that price.

Raid0