/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of March 2016
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES

News:
Kyocera DuraForce PRO is a rugged Android phone that doubles as an action camera
gsmarena.com/kyocera_announces_the_duraforce_pro_with_a_builtin_action_camera-news-19880.php

Alleged Huawei Mate 9 specs leak via a benchmark app
gsmarena.com/alleged_huawei_mate_9_specs_leak_via_a_benchmark_app-news-19879.php

Meizu M3E announced with metal unibody, 5.5" screen
gsmarena.com/meizu_just_made_the_m3e_official-news-19870.php

Xiaomi Redmi 4 and Mi Note 2 specs, prices and launch dates leak
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_4_and_mi_note_2_specs_prices_and_launch_dates_leak-news-19858.php

Alcatel Idol 4S Review
phonearena.com/reviews/Alcatel-Idol-4S-Review_id4238

Samsung reportedly testing 10nm Exynos 8895 processor with 4GHz peak speed
sammobile.com/2016/08/09/samsung-reportedly-testing-10nm-exynos-8895-processor-with-4ghz-peak-speed/

ZTE Axon 7 Boot-loader UNLOCK AVAILABLE!(voids warranty immediately)
community.zteusa.com/community/blogging/blog/2016/08/10/did-somebody-say-bootloader

ZTE Axon 7 vs OnePlus 3 : Android Authority
youtu.be/TVcu-9_ddkU

ZTE Axon 7 review: Mostly good hardware, but bad software
androidpolice.com/2016/08/10/zte-axon-7-review/

Other urls found in this thread:

t-mobile.com/coverage-map.html
phonearena.com/reviews/Alcatel-Idol-4S-Review_id4238/page/4
htctradeup.com/products/27660/
youtube.com/watch?v=rfYsJ5j0N5k
amazon.com/s/?tag=duc0c-20&url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=note 5 wall charger
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Well, since root is now possible on the vzw HTC 10, I got that version. Their service is just so much better here plus I want the $100 in accessories.

I'm getting one myself, unlocked since I wanted to switch to AT&T/Tmobile. Trickier to unlock the VZW model though.

How can I get flash support on my chrome browser? I'm using a samsung galaxy s5. I already tried installing adobe flash player.

I'm willing to wait for a budget (around 400usd) phone that's:
-1440x2560, 5.5"~
-big battery
-no lag/good ram
-nice camera
-unlockable w/o voiding warranty or close to stock
Will the bigger nexus have all these?
Currently I'm thinking axon 7 but I'm waiting for the nexus and am open to suggestion

The bigger Nexus most likely, but it will be pretty expensive.

Axon 7 won't let you keep the 2yr warranty, plus it has some manufacturing QC issues so you'd need to make sure your phone wasn't defective. Still not a terrible phone though.

Is there no chance someone will find a way to root the Axon 7 without having to tell them/void the warranty? How much do you think the bigger Nexus will be, and can I get it cheaper on contract?

Unless someone makes some kind of unlock tool, unlikely. You have to request it, so they'll have your name and serial.

I think I might fall for the T-mobile's Band 12 meme, any decent $150-200 phone that's compatible? Is Band 12 even worth it? I get shitternet where I live (semi-rural, I get LTE on my unlocked Note 3 a mile down from me)

You don't

Looked into the Moto x pure at all?
I've got one and it seems to meet all your expectation, except the battery (only 3000mAh).
For me, the battery easily lasts a full day though, and I can sometime stretch it to 2 days. It also has quick charge.
It's probably the smoothest phone you can get that isn't a nexus, since it is running stock Android.
If you've got any more questions feel free to ask and I'll try to answer them.

>tfw got my note 7 case today
soon

iPhone 5 broke, I'm stuck on family plan w/ Verizon, last Android I had was a Galaxy Nexus but the battery life was utter shit.
What Android should I get? Is there anything worth waiting for?
I don't do much other than browse online/text/take photos these days so I don't need a big screen, Gnex had a ~4.6" screen which was fine for me. Not sure what the new camera gimmick is these days but I just want a good battery for the most part.

Flash did work on another browser though

USA, AT&T. SD slot, smaller (5.5 or less), great battery life. I don't need superpowered, I'm mostly texting, emailing, and shitposting. Help me find the thinkpad of phones, Sup Forums.

depends on where you live, check the tmobile map: t-mobile.com/coverage-map.html

i can tell you that i had a non band 12 phone for a while with a Tmobile sim and I had 2G service all through a vast part of eastern Connecticut (there's nothing there) between the ocean and Massachusetts, but since I upgraded to a band 12 phone it's 100% LTE the whole way. Nothing but good things to say in my experience.

>the thinkpad of phones,
so you want something outdated and overpriced?

Daily reminder that if your phone isnt a Sony, Motorola, Nexus, or OnePlus then it's shit
>muh lg
>muh samshit
no

>I'm mostly texting, emailing, and shitposting
blackberry

Yes, flash only works on certain browsers. There's no way to get it to work on chrome though.

True. I was on atat for awhile and their service is just shit here, not to mention much slower 4g speeds.

Unlocking will be tricky, but it's worth the extra hassle imo.

Also do you know if unlocking will void the warranty?

What's development scene for Redmi phones like? The Redmi 4 looks real nice, but if I'd be stuck with MIUI forever I think I'd give it a pass.

Do redmi phone's work in the US? If so what networks and do they get 4G? I think redmi phone's look really great and have basically everything you could want for a really good price but I'm about US availability.

Is the Z3C running Marshmallow rootable? Or would it require downgrading, rooting, then flashing a ROM from xda?

They usually have shitload of roms on XDA. the RN3P has official and unofficial CM13 ports and many more roms.

>Do redmi phone's work in the US?
Only partially. they work on T-Mobile and AT&T H+, but 4G will be dodgy because it lacks quite a few bands.

I have an upgrade team. What should I get? Note 7? wait till next years goodies? Current is a nexus 6p

def wait. youre too close to the refresh point of alot of stuff to jump on anything yet. never be an early adopter.

Got a new phone, where's the best place to get Nova Launcher (prime) from? and APKs in general

I know I should wait but my nexus screen is shattered and the note looks pretty damn good

damn bro, sorry to hear that.

Reposting from last thread:

I think I'm on my Dads plan that my brother and grandfather are also a part of but I'm not sure

HTC I believe is okay?

If you're on a contract plan you could probably cash that N6 in for 2x its market value in for the price down on something like a HTC10. One user said he got $300 for his LG G4 towards a 10.

Is it still worth it to get a Nexus 6? I heard it's getting Nougat and I was considering on getting a Note 7 but I don't want to giving in to T-Mobile's Jewery.

Xperia Z3 Compact or iPhone SE

>Earlier today the upcoming Xiaomi Redmi 4 was spotted in the Geekbench database rocking a Snapdragon 625 chipset and 3GB of RAM, running Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow

>The Redmi 4 is said to come with a 5-inch 1080p touchscreen, a metal injection molded body, a fingerprint scanner, and a 4,100 mAh battery with fast charge support.The base version will have 3GB of RAM and 32GB of storage and will cost just CNY 699 (approximately $105 or €94).

brehs...

How can ANYONE ELSE even compete?
>inb4 the 625 ends up overheating to death and barely faster than the 615
>inb4 battery life goes to shit thanks to the 1080p screen

Will still lack American bands and thus useless.

How cool is the VR headset on the Alcatel Idol 4S?
Should I really effect my decision in purchasing it versus the Axon 7?

I am a US fag.

It's shit

>The plastic VR viewer is sturdy, has nice optics, and as we'd only expect from a custom model like this, fits the Idol 4S really well. But it's also little more than a fancy (and not even that fancy) Google Cardboard headset, lacking the extra electronics of Samsung's Gear VR.

phonearena.com/reviews/Alcatel-Idol-4S-Review_id4238/page/4

>Sony is working on a new flagship smartphone, the Sony XR
>Likely launched at the IFA in the first week of September
If it is launched at IFA, any idea when it'll be available in the UK? My contract runs out on September 9th so it'd be nice if it was out by then. Also are there any upcoming phones to rival this one?

I just checked the appraisal thing online and it seems like they would only give me 70 bucks for it

Thanks user.

LOL
>Americans in charge of actual telecoms infrastructure

>are there any upcoming phones to rival this one?

The question should be, will Sony finally make a flagship that equals its rivals. They haven't done so since Z3.

>tangential rant
Those corner cameras trigger me. Increased sensor size is the single largest improvement that can be made to mobile photography yet supposedly elite OEMs trap the sensor in the corner. They're basically conceding at a glance that this phone's camera will be a gimmick.
>/rant

htctradeup.com/products/27660/
You might get up to $150 for it, though you said there was a screen issue.
There's some variability between appraisals. If all else fails you could just auction it.

note 7.

where should I pre-order?

I might do just that actually

I bought it off of Swappa so I might sell it either there or on eBay. It's on virtually perfect shape outside of the weird minor screen issue and some navigation bar burn in that I might be able to fix

I really want either the HTC 10 or the 6p but I'm probably better off waiting for the new nexus phones to see how they are

Mobilism.

I bought an HTC 10 yesterday and the Quick Charge makes it generate a fuck ton of heat. I've never owned a quick charge device before, but this can't be normal. Do i have a hardware defect or something?

It's pretty normal. If you're going to quick charge try to not use the phone at all normally otherwise it'll get insanely hot

Lmao this terrified me on the first night.

should i get a s7 or wait for sailfish to drop?

Sailfish is a confirmed meme and already DOA. Get the Note 7 instead. That exynos 8890 is a fucking monster of a soc.

So Sup Forums case or no case?

I personally feel like the phone's build plays the biggest role for me.

Like the Droid Turbo and DT2 need no case imo, just due to how hearty the designs are already. Same goes for the V10, though it's not quite as rugged.

Screen protectors are always a must tho, and I pretty much live by the glass ones now.

Try to leave it on a hard surface while it's charging too.

I get a case because I know the one time I drop my phone without a case it'll completely wreck my phone

>€94

What the fuck. This might as well be my new phone, goddamn.

DAT AYYY LMAO WAIFU.

>supreme werewolf pervert is best girl
>vampire is best cool beauty though

fuck i need a cheap phone like that.

In August 2014 I moved to Japan and bought my first smartphone, an iPhone 5S.
My contract is up and I know I want a larger phone.

My two options
1. Start a new contract ($65-70 a month)with the Note 7 or Xperia X Performance or whatever is called.
2. Buy a used Note Edge for $300 and throw a new battery in there, or used Z3 for like $250/300, get a SIM off contract for about $35 a month with more data.

Obviously option 2 will save me a ton of money, but I guess I'm wondering how reliable the lifespan of a used phone would be? I'm assuming the Note Edges replaceable battery might keep it going longer, but I would also think it might stop getting update support at some point.

I've been getting shit standby time on my s7 edge as of like 3 days ago. What do? Don't have fb installed btw

>Sony
>New Flagship
>September

Didn't they just launch a new flagship last month?

Get OS Monitor (com.eolwral.osmonitor) and look at what's using up your CPU.

Also, can you post your battery usage thing from the settings?

it sank.

Should've bought a OnePlus 3.

What games are you all playing? Mostly everything on the Google play store is terrible. Been playing quite a bit of FF Mobius.

is note 7 the best phone to get? hardware wise?

and if so, where should I get an unlocked one

I keep going back to the LG G5 for the camera even though I waiting for the Note 7.
Sadly the Note 7 was a bit disappointing spec wise.
Now I'm playing the game to either wait for the LG G6* or choose between two mentioned above.
Opinions?

I waited*
Damn

how's the note 7 camera compare to the g5/v10

youtube.com/watch?v=rfYsJ5j0N5k

will Android ever win bros?

LG G5 has a 16MP camera and also a wide-angle 8MP camera.
Though the wide-angle is a fixed focus, you can't really tell.
It overall looks pretty good.

Hardware is basically identical to the S7, so if you don't want a stylus just get that.

Unlocked isn't available yet, as far as I know all preorders are carrier specific

>duuude 3 seconds of waiting between opening games this is bullshit

hey Bros I don't keep up.

I just get unlocked nexus devices when I need a new phone. any info on the newest one later this year?

Should be out sometime in October IIRC

They're being made by HTC this time

>dramatically better screen
>better aluminum
>better glass
>better UX and a poor root experience on the S7/S7E, no word yet on N7 root but almost certainly terrible
>less curved display
>better in-hand feel
>usb c
>usb 3.1

Sure, yeah, identical.

I should have been more sspecific that I meant specs, which you avoided because they are the same.

But yeah, if better in hand feel is worth $300 extra go for it.

Anyone know a wall charger that can do fast charge for the Note 5?

Is the screen not a hardware spec? What about USB generation and port?

I dunno, I think a quality build is worth an extra hundred fifty bucks.

(show me a 64GB S7E under $700)

(for that matter, show me a 64GB S7 for $550)

amazon.com/s/?tag=duc0c-20&url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=note 5 wall charger

Thanks

Should I replace my Nexus 5 (2013) with Xiaomi Mi5?

Has there been a consensus reached on battery degradation already? How are you supossed to take care of your phone's battery? Charge it up to full and use it until 0%? Keep it bouncing between 30% and 80%? Do whatever but don't let it drop below 15%? Don't use it while it charges?

Does it matter how old your phone is?

Lithium ion is a pretty known quantity at this point. Keep it between 30% and 70%. Don't ever fully discharge. Don't keep it topped up. Don't use it while it charges. Don't let it heat up too much. No matter how well you treat it, it'll still degrade over time, that's just how batteries work - however, you can still do a lot to ameliorate the degradation.

My country has started to sell the Oneplus 3.
>Do I buy one?
>Current phone: iShit 4s

Just now? What kind of third world shithole do you live in?

Hi /spg/,

I have an issue you might be able to help me with: I bought a phone (samsung galaxy s6) off someone 2nd hand. 6 months later, the phone became locked and apparently the person I bought it from rented it and stopped paying.

Now the phone is completely blocked with a message to pay $500 to the rental company to unlock the phone.

Is there anyway to remove this lock on the phone? There's no way I'm paying that money and frankly I can't afford it.

Note edge doesn't have a removable battery I believe. Isn't it possible to buy a Z3 with a refurbished battery?
Yes
It's okay

What's a good phone for maximum 400€? Please don't say Nexus 6p or chink phones.

Thoughts on A9 Pro?

That might be a ransomware. Try maybe rooting it and flashing a new rom if possible.

You're shit out of luck if you want a good phone for that price that isn't the 6p, Axon 7, or OnePlus 3

Oh really? I thought ransomeware wasn't used by rental companies...would have thought they had some stock lock on the phone.

Thanks for the advice, rooting was going to be my next course of action.

yep, sounds like ransomware. other option is an IEMI lock, but im assuming it was paid off when you bought it.

take it to the cellphone provider you have and get them to look up the iemi status. if it is clean, and not tower locked, then it is ransom ware, look into reflashing the phone. guides should be online.

Do I buy a note 4 and ZL case or do I buy a Zenfone 3 ultra or deluxe?

I've been using a Note 2 for 4 years now. How much longer do you think it will last?

Thanks, will try it. I don't think it's an IMEI. I bought it off of someone from craigslist (gumtree). The rental company only blocked it because the renter stopped paying rent.

I definitely learned a lesson but it's straight up bullshit they want to change me $500 to unlock it.

I bought a mi note 3 pro "new" on eBay, from a seller with like 98% good feedback, and when the phone arrived it was locked to a xiaomi account and unusable. What do I do Sup Forums?