3 different buttons to tell people you use an app

>3 different buttons to tell people you use an app
>not a single reinstall button
Why do people take OS X seriously again?

Other urls found in this thread:

adcdownload.apple.com/Developer_Tools/Xcode_7.3.1/Xcode_7.3.1.dmg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>drag Xcode to the trash
>Empty the Trash
>Open the App Store
>Download Xcode
WOOOOOOW

>having to do all that non-obvious shit instead of pressing a fucking reinstall button
But facebook connectivity was essential to have there!

wow two threads in one day from you?? slow it down, i don't want you to burn out.

>this mad at how shit OS X is

s/threads/blog posts/

whatever, he's funny.

>facebook machine prioritizes facebook
When memes become real.

>using the Appstore

adcdownload.apple.com/Developer_Tools/Xcode_7.3.1/Xcode_7.3.1.dmg

Top kekkles

Ok, you're right, OS X is SJW bullshit.
What's a good Linux distro?

Apartheid Linux

Arch.
>but it takes too long to install
Good things have a price, but if you want something more hassle-free try Fedora with KDE.

>basic filesystem operations in the Finder are non-obvious
Do we also need to tell you where applications are generally located on OS X?

gentoo

Yes, because, ironically, Finder is shit at actually finding anything.

Uh yes it's not obvious that a desktop shell is responsible for deleting apps while the App Store doesn't do that but instead is responsible for posting on facebook. How is this not a fucking joke?

You should have been here for his two other threads.

>you don't get it, it's that one guy from that one time!
Faggots like you are insufferable.

You retards ruin it for everybody else. Instead of recommending a distro that is entirely hassle free and specifically designed for 99% of desktop use cases, you go ahead and recommend shit like this. You people are the reason all the Winbabbies constantly rattle on about how Windows "just werks" and Linux is "broken and stupid". Arch is a good distro, but don't even kid yourself and say it's a good fit for a beginner.

Do not attempt Arch. It's neat but certainly not for beginners and will sour Linux for you. Even Fedora with KDE is an off-color choice.

If you want to install Linux and not have to go head first, install Ubuntu with Unity or Fedora with GNOME. Don't fuck with alternate DEs; they never get the same QA and it usually ends up biting you in the ass. Annoyances aside, Unity and GNOME have been polished up pretty good since the last time half of Sup Forums used them, so just ignore the noise. You can reinstall if you really need to.

He asked what was a good Linux distro. Arch is the best Linux distro (rolling release, huge repositories, always up-to-date), just not at all the most convenient to install. If someone told me they wanted to try out Linux for the first time of course I'd say Mint or Ubuntu.

>Even Fedora with KDE is an off-color choice.
Here's the thing: Gnome is seriously lacking in configuration. The mouse menu is a perfect example, if you have a high-DPI mouse and want to reduce speed, the minimum of the slider is still way too high. KDE has a numeric input for that if I remember correctly, plus a lot more choices.The reason I recommend KDE is because it's a safe choice, whatever options normies need it will be on a GUI menu.

Fedora is also not the best suggestion for a total normie distro because of the whole Broadcomm situation.

holy shit, is that really how macfags reinstall software?

It is you, though.

xcode actually used to be different, but they put it in the appstore and made it worse to install.

As opposed to uninstall and installing?

I'm not even OP, you retard.

I think the point is as opposed to a reinstall option or not having to use a separate app to uninstall.

as opposed to clicking on your package, hehe, and pressing reinstall

the fuck do you do if you don't have internet at that moment?
or if the fucking appstore doesn't work?
or if it takes a fuckton of time to download?

I was just shitposting, I run Gentoo.

>I run Gentoo.
>on phone

Checks out. he's probably still compiling.

>not just curl adcdownload.apple.com/Developer_Tools/Xcode_7.3.1/Xcode_7.3.1.dmg > /tmp/x.dmg | hdiutil attach /tmp/x.dmg | mv /Volumes/Xcode/xcode.app | hdiutil detach /Volumes/Xcode | rm /tmp/x.dmg
to reinstall:
rm /Applications/Xcode.app | curl adcdownload.apple.com/Developer_Tools/Xcode_7.3.1/Xcode_7.3.1.dmg > /tmp/x.dmg | hdiutil attach /tmp/x.dmg | mv /Volumes/Xcode/Xcode.app /Applications/Xcode.app | hdiutil detach /Volumes/Xcode | rm /tmp/x.dmg

I have both a desktop and a phone.

Didn't expect that, heh? You cheeky bastard.

No, this is:

or rm /Applications/Xcode.app | mas install 497799835 if you need a reinstall button

well, and i thought a button would do the trick

does linux have a reinstall button? Or windows for that matter?

>Arch is the best Linux distro

Yes, software centers have a remove button at least.

I think KDE does, Gnome doesn't, but obviously has a remove button on the Software manager. Not sure about Unity, but again, uninstall button.
And of course any CLI package manager has the reinstall

Yes for every application in /application. Although for apps downloaded from the Mac App Store you can go into launchpad, click and hold on the application you want deleted and it will show a X like iOS. Click the X and OS X will uninstall a bit more thoroughly than just dragging to trash. A bit like iOS, I know but it can be helpful for technormies. People bitch about iOS getting into OS X (macOS) but it has really fleshed out the OS since snow leopard, which seems feature-limited now.

No share on tumblr?

most packages in windows do since most use install shield, it has to be some 3rd world 3rd party to miss it
don't know about the windows 10 store in their mindless attempt to copy applel
as for linux i'm pretty sure unity and kde have some form of it

Thank god OS X has self-contained packages so we can uninstall by simply removing it!

Not him, but that's not really the same... that's tracking down the installer you kept and choosing the reinstall option, instead of having one thing to handle all of this.

You can do the same thing in Windows or Linux.

well no, actually windows tracks it for you and it's all in one thing

gentle reminder that they only recently added a second mouse button.

os x could use second mouse button from the beginning.

>people bitch about ios getting into os x

things 98% of the world has never witnessed, but you guys probably revel in that niche-ness

did it blow peoples minds?

If by recently you mean the early 90s.

>good things have a price
>doesn't apply this logic to macOS

ok

Please tell me in what os there exists a "reinstall button"
With Windows
> win+r
>app wiz.cpl
>select program
>uninstall
>uac needs admin password
"Are you sure you're doing what you want" dialog
>redownload installer.exe, wait for it to download the actual application and install
>restart computer

Linux
I assume a CLI command "su reinstall X"(?) or something

OS X
>navigate to application (I.e. Firefox.app)
>delete app
>reinstall from Firefox.dmg (it might be in the App Store)
Or
>cli command (since it's a UNIX system)

>I assume a CLI command "su reinstall X"(?) or something
No, you use the package manager, but I'm not sure whether or not reinstall exists as I've never reinstalled a package.

>I assume a CLI command "su reinstall X"(?) or something
Uh yes. That's what a package manager is for. Also a few DE's have an actual reinstall button on whatever GUI they use, or at the very least an uninstall/install button, instead of using the shell for uninstalling and then the app store for installing and posting on facebook.

>cli command (since it's a UNIX system)
What cli command? Genuine curiosity here.

Yum/dnf, apt-get and zipper all have reinstall buttons. Gonna go on a limb here and assume pacman does too.

>ssh command not found
>gcc command not found
>perl command not found
>ruby command not found
>python command not found
>double click pdf
>does not recognize this format
>double click zip/rar
>does not recognize this format

why do people take babby's first OS winblows seriously again?

Pretty sure windows opens PDFs with some Metro app, and I think zips/rars open like folders now (and to be be honest that's much better than opening a new window, despite being a file).

You've never used OS X

I can timestamp it if you want.

Basic logic: all good things having a price doesn't mean all pricy things are good

Who the fuck uses finder instead of the terminal and find util?

Not to mention you can easily tag files and folders and tag search in the terminal.

No more worrying about putting your files into one of several arbitrary categories. Just tag them

>too autistic to comprehend social media
>too dumb for osx
wow Im really really sorry for you.

no, you can't make that argument then not apply the same logic to the app store

by that logic, i'm fine with the app store being shit, because good things like macOS have a price

that's not finder by the way, that's launchpad

>doesn't know the difference between finder and launchpad
First day playing with an OS X VM?

>botnet intergrated into the right click menu
>yfw facebookd will be a thing eventually

You mean spotlight and youre literally retarded.

>It's your fault for using the app store to uninstall instead of posting on facebook!

I know, but isn't launchpad an actual part of Finder?

But Arch IS very good, it just takes a long time to install and configure, but the end result is very good. The product's quality has nothing to do with how long it took to get there or how much it costed. A Stradivarius took a long time to make and had to be done entirely by hand, but the end result was fantastic. And macOS doesn't even cost anything.
On the other hand, if your OS has a shitty package manager then you can't validate the premise that it's a good thing.

No, he didn't (I'm assuming). Spotlight is good at finding stuff. Finder, or the Launchpad, sucks.

>I know, but isn't launchpad an actual part of Finder?
Not at all, finder is simply the file manager. Launchpad is a recent addition and you can find it's .app in Applications, aptly named "Launchpad.app". You can safely remove it with sudo rm -rf /Applications/Launchpad.app if you'd like as it isn't in any way associated with the finder in /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app

macOS costs nothing, and is very good. requires no sort of futzing about with installation

calling the app store a 'package manager' shows fundamental misunderstanding in how macOS functions

use pkg, homebrew, or macports for that - all great package managers

Launchpad isn't the finder, you subhuman inbred. Finder and Spotlight both use mdfind to search, and spotlight is amazing. How stupid do you have to be to confuse the two?

>group applications into folders in launchpad
>for everything else use find -iname

How fucking hard is this

arch may have been good but while you were typing that shitpost 14 new updates deployed and 6 of them broke something because they are preAlpha releases

>calling the app store a 'package manager' shows fundamental misunderstanding in how macOS functions
So it doesn't have a package manager? What a piece of crap

>use pkg, homebrew, or macports for that
>use this ruby script that calls itself a package manager that conflicts with already existing packages to solve OS X's lack of a package manager
Yeah, thanks.

I'm sorry I don't know OS X as well as you user :(

That meme died, user. Arch works fine.

I dont use arch anyomore but i love this argument

I cant put this puzzle together so it doesnt work it sucks!!!

Dont blame arch for your own incompetence

No adult with a job uses arch its for kids who can deal with random bugs and glitches from preAlpha open source spaghetti

how to take a screenshot of a section of the screen on windows
>open up start
>open sniptools
>click new
>drag rectangle
>save
>confirm

Same thing on os x
>cmd+shift+4
>drag rectangle

how to record screencast out of the box on windows
>you can't
>download and install unregistered hypercam
>try to live with the watermark

same thing on os x
>it's built into quicktime

I wish windows would make everyday things easier

Arch is perfectly stable. Reason i dont use it for development is package versions i need for e.g use python 3.4 not 3.5 or whatever. Could always use vagrant...

And arch doesnt push alpha, it pushes packages mainstream and testing consider stable

Don't respond, he did this a few weeks ago.

>you don't get it, it's that one guy from that one time!
Again, what an insufferable faggot. And you're still here!

everytime I reinstall windows my desktop is littered with shortcuts

is this the symptom of a lack of a good out of the box dock and launcher or am I just stupid

There really can't be multiple people confusing spotlight for launchpad in the exact way you did, sorry guy.

How are you reinstalling? Stock Windows doesn't create desktop icons.

>how to record screencast out of the box on windows
I believe that was implemented in windows 10

But user, that post wasn't about Spotlight at all. I claimed Launchpad was a part of Finder, someone said they were totally different apps, I never mentioned Spotlight. Did you get confused or are you lying?

>trying to find system preferences by searching 'settings' in the launchpad search
>not the one guy that ever did that
ok

>However, for those that want to do image and video capture on-the-cheap, Microsoft includes a screen recording utility in Windows 10's new Xbox app. As you can imagine, this is generally meant for recording Xbox games streamed to a Windows 10 PC, but what's especially interesting is that the recording utility also works for regular apps.

>A couple caveats, though. The first is that is that the Xbox app has to be running for the recording utility to be available for use. The second is that the app only records video and images in the current window. You can't switch apps and keep recording or capturing images. So, it is somewhat limited and provides only basic capabilities. However, if you only need a quick screen capture, it'll do the trick in a pinch.

Is this what you're referring to?

Why do you need 2 or 3 different search engines? Spotlight finder and launchpad?

Wouldnt it make more sense to have one that does it all

I find it awful.

I can't create useful snippets where the same word gets inserted in different places anything else that's somewhat advanced.
C++ autocompletion is shit. Autocompletion is shit in general. The fuzzy matcher from alcatraz doesn't find some functions, which is also shit.

Why are you backtracking, user? This was your claim:
>There really can't be multiple people confusing spotlight for launchpad in the exact way you did, sorry guy.
>confusing spotlight for launchpad
Yet if you follow the trail of replies, only Finder and Launchpad are mentioned. At most I mistook those, but Spotlight isn't mentioned. Again, are you lying or confused?

Finder is not a search engine, Spotlight is desktop search. All the Launchpad search bar is for is to find an application within launchpad.

Visual studio, CLion and QtCreator are only good c++ ides i have ever used. Anything else and you might as well use vim + plugins at least you would have proper text editor

Dont have OSX so have no idea but my idea still stands

Why not have single search service and just use it then you would be able to find everything within and outside of launchpad

Because it's a retarded OS.
Fun fact: spotlight doesn't even work in launchpad.

>>but it takes too long to install
it doesnt if you use antergos

>Dont have OSX so have no idea

Why the fuck are you still talking. People have been spoonfeeding you answers that you willfully ignore. Fuck off

>ruby script

yes, that's homebrew.

at least do your research before you post. pkgsrc is written in C & sh and used on a number of BSD flavors.

also I thought a big part of the beauty of arch is the modularity?

seems funny someone evangelizing arch would criticize macOS for not including something by default. you can choose to install a package manager if you're someone who needs one, but macOS doesn't force you to

you even have a number of choices for what package manager to use

They could be written in ASM for all I care, the real problem is still that using more than one application to manage packages has path problems. For example you can use zipper or dnf, but if you use both you'll have problems.

Because he asked a question about an OS on a technology board inside a thread dedicated to that OS.

You're misunderstanding what I said, either on purpose or by accident.
In Linux you have a choice of package manager. You can make fedora work with apt-get or Ubuntu with pacman. It will take some configuring, but it's possible. And you can have no package manager at all, if you want.
You can't do that in macOS. You can't get rid of the App Store, you can only choose to add third-party package managers and deal with the problems of having more than one application adding stuff to /bin

>Why not have single search service
Uh, they do. It's spotlight.

No they don't. Launchpad doesn't use the spotlight search.