HI FREETARDS

HI FREETARDS

IF LINUX IS SO GREAT WHY DOES IT ONLY HAVE A 2% MARKET SHARE?

CHECKMATE

Other urls found in this thread:

linux.slashdot.org/story/16/07/02/184229/linux-grabs-more-than-2-of-desktop-market-share
extremetech.com/computing/227693-windows-drops-below-90-market-share-for-the-first-time-in-years-windows-7-falls-below-50
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's an OS for routers, so why are you comparing desktop market share? Only an idiot would use it on a desktop.

YOU DON'T TALK ABOUT THE SEEKRIT CLUB, FAGGOT.

WHY WOULD YOU USE A .gif FOR A STILL IMAGE? CHECKMATE

>OS for routers

That's a bit of an oversimplification. Also, you do not have to be an idiot to use Linux as your desktop OS.

The market share for Linux in the data center is far, far more than 2%. Everyone who uses the Internet uses it all day, every day. You wouldn't be able to post here without it.

Why is the logical fallacy of "Popularity=Quality" so wide-spread?

>Everyone who uses the Internet uses it all day, every day
Duh. Because routers.

Because it's true? If something is good it'll be more popular than something that's shit.

Please learn the difference between an inductive and deductive argument.

Because people are stupid and Microsoft has done a good job advertising where it counts.
I mean you can read documents that came to light during antitrust litigation detailing their strategy to become a monopoly in PCs if you're really interested.

Only on desktop, Linux dominates everything else: servers, supercomputers, routers, embedded, smartphone, netbook.

Cuckolds and pajeets running scared I see? :)

linux.slashdot.org/story/16/07/02/184229/linux-grabs-more-than-2-of-desktop-market-share

HAHAHAHAH fucking cucks

extremetech.com/computing/227693-windows-drops-below-90-market-share-for-the-first-time-in-years-windows-7-falls-below-50

Only going up from here boys

In what way is that true? Rap music is incredibly popular, and it's all shit. Sure doesn't seem to fall into the infallible popularity determining quality notion.

>My subjective taste is objective

You're on the wrong chan, gaymergater.

>popularity having any correlation with quality

You're on the wrong IQ plateau, Cletus

More than just routers. Some devices are using a Linux-based environment, but the percentage is not as large as it is for other things. DNS Servers, for example. Also, most web servers, and many cloud environments are running on it.

>"My subjective tastes determine what is objectively quality"
>literally doesn't understand the definition of "subjective"

> check MATE

MATE is a perfectly fine desktop environment. It is not the reason Linux is only at 2%.

>literally can't refute the fact that one doesn't affect the other
>literally "muh subjectivity" when there are objective measures to gauge value
>being this much of a fucking moron

don't reply to me or my wife's son ever again

I'm curious as to what line of thought took you from

> popularity does not imply quality

to

> my opinion is fact

Plenty of good things have gone relatively unnoticed because a worse alternative was already widespread and entrenched.

I mean shit, people still drive gasoline cars.

>if you don't listen to the music I listen to, you're wrong
Post these "superior" tastes of yours user.

The Toyota Corolla sells more units annually than the Porsche 911.

Therefore, the Toyota Corolla is the better car.

This is your thought process. This is retarded.

>(you)

>2008
>"IF LINUX IS SO GREAT WHY DOES IT ONLY HAVE A 1% MARKET SHARE?"

>2016
>"IF LINUX IS SO GREAT WHY DOES IT ONLY HAVE A 2% MARKET SHARE?"

slow and steady...

Post your "superior" music tastes, user.

Toyota is better, though. You don't actually need a Porsche. It doesn't do anything special other than costing more than a Toyota because of "muh brand".

Proprietarycucks are running scared. They know what's coming.

They're like that guy in Austin Powers who sees the steamroller and stands there screaming for 10 minutes instead of trying to get out of the way.

>all rap music is shit meme
>none of it can be any good meme

You are tanked.

Who is open susanne?

You got it pal, you CLEARLY know what you're talking about

>horrible gas mileage
>no space
>horrible insurance rates
>terrible upkeep
>ridiculously overpriced

>"Good"

clearly it's the better car for the average person

I know this is a bait thread, but there are a few issues about the question you might not have noticed.

1. Linux is Free, so there is no way to measure it's market share.
2. Finding market share statistics for Kernels is generally extremely hard.
3. Operating Systems using the Linux kernel are more commonly used than Windows in general, so your statistic is probably for desktop market share, and nobody uses a desktop in 2016. The desktop is dead. Cloud computers for those who need a lot of power to do their work and cellphones for people who don't both usually use Linux. Laptops are still a thing, but Google Botnetbooks® are becoming more common.

Please fix your bait in the ways I've described above so it'll be more funny when people bite, thanks David.

> attacking the example

Now talk to someone who objectively measures the quality of cars and see if he mentions popularity as a factor. It isn't A car dealership will mention it, because they're trying to take your money.

> I nitpicked your analogy to shit therefore I won the argument

Another successful derailing by Sup Forums.

They're fucking morons, user.

I don't even use Linux, but this is the most overused, easily destroyed argument that somehow jackasses think is a legitimate point.

>Only an idiot would use it on a desktop.

True

>>all rap music is shit meme
>rap
>music
Pick one.

If your music doesn't sound like ambiguous beep-boops, it doesn't belong on Sup Forums and neither do you.

>Only an idiot would use [...] a desktop
Ftfy, Sup Forumsirgin.

>"objectively measures the quality of cars"
>He thinks it's objective
You really don't belong here.

you're mom #rekt

I'm not the same user, user.

To be fair, popularity DOES have an effect on quality for some things.

Popular operating systems and programming languages have more support, more compatible applications, and more of an online Q&A presence.

For example, good luck getting an answer to a weird problem in an obscure flavor of Assembly.

In something like C# or Java, there's a million pajeets having the same issue to the answer to the question is documented and easily searched.

Popularity on operating systems determine the potential profits for compatible application development. This is clearly evident in things like Photoshop and video games, for which a non-justifiable expense would need to be incurred by the developers to make them properly cross-platform.

Underrated post.

Runs on virtually all TOP500 supercomputers

How's that for market share?

>he thinks running Linux on his desktop makes his Pentium 4 a TOP500 supercomputer.

(You)

Those who you would consider "proprietarycucks" have already walked over to the steamroller and are now riding shotgun.

C# is open source and cross platform.

There's an Ubuntu subsystem with bash in Windows 10.

Canonical, Red Hat EL, and many other open-source development groups have already joined the .NET Foundation.

Azure deploys many flavors of Linux as a hosting and app-layer service.

tl;dr: Microsoft is making more money on open-source than actual open-source companies.

>unironically bragging about his OS being used on 500 computers out of 10 billion
kek

>clearly it's the better car for the average person
and linux is a better OS for some people, same goes for OSX
now fuck off everyone, I'm tired of these shitty fucking threads, every single day

So "propriertarycucks" are riding shotgun, and open source is the driver? Sounds about right.

Yes, much like a chauffeur does the driving for someone much more important and influential.

Microsoft is pumping money into these organizations (and buying them, see Xamarin), so they are essentially telling them where to go.

Whatever you believe in I guess.

Nice thread OP. Legitimately forces you to envisage.

The anti-Linux and windows shitposting has been growing into more shitpostey lately.

Sounds like a final desperate scream before death?

If being rich is so great, why do only the 1% control the majority of the money?

>C# is open source and cross platform.
.NET core is open source. Most of the tooling and first/third party libs are still Windows-only. Most C# code, in practice, is not portable.

>There's an Ubuntu subsystem with bash in Windows 10.
Just because your starter motor is electric doesn't mean you drive a Tesla.

>Canonical, Red Hat EL, and many other open-source development groups have already joined the .NET Foundation.
Most likely as a means to further develop Mono with direct cooperation from Microsoft. I don't know why you're interpreting this as "switching camps".

>Azure deploys many flavors of Linux as a hosting and app-layer service.
Proprietary software vendors have been employing free software for decades. Why are you acting like this is new?

>tl;dr: Microsoft is making more money on open-source than actual open-source companies.
So are Oracle, Amazon, Facebook, OVH and countless others. And that's a good thing. It means FOSS is gaining ground where it matters.

HAHAHAHA OH WOW HOW WILL FREETARDS EVER RECOVER

Really makes you think.

Everyone knows GNU/Linux is trash OP so you can stop making these threads now.

>You wouldn't be able to post here without it.
iirc Sup Forums runs on clusters of Mac Minis, probably running OS X. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong

Underrated post

It's moved on, user. All cloudfare now.

>wat is Mono

I'll take the bait...

>Implying linux CAN'T do what Windows does and more
Jesus christ wtf.

Why are you guys replying to a troll thread?

t. butthurt proprietarycuck

>it's popular
>so it must be good

At least I have control and fun with my system

Logical fallacy detected. Go back to school.

Ask how many people were given a choice which OS they had when they bought their PC.

>my wife's son
KEK

hownew.ru

>desktop marketshare is everything

All these butthurt lonix autists lol

idiot

You're wrong, it was a fucking joke all the time
Cloudflare is just a CDN

So MacDonald's is better than home cooked meals?

Best post

>The amount of users of a free OS can be judged by it's market share

For the cost and effort? Yes.

Probe Google. The server uses Linux. If you've ever Googled something then by extension you've used Linux.

On the other hand if you're just one of those proprietary cucks then by all means don't use Linux. You don't belong here on Sup Forums though.

> (OP)
>It's an OS for routers, so why are you comparing desktop market share? Only an idiot would use it on a desktop.
It was literally Made for the desktop look it up

>Butthurt Linux users

You have to be pretty mad to make this thread lol
Linux is successful, UNIX is alright but eh, and Windows is for children and stupid people.

>look ! it's this troll tread again!
>And people are still replying to those threads!

Do you consider justin beiber talented?
What about lil wayne?

Just because its popular does not mean its any good

Android isn't Linux you retard. It's based on Linux just how Linux is based on UNIX.

>lincux fags getting triggered

You're a literal autist if you voluntarily use linux.

You are retarded
>tech illiterate buys laptop
>doesn't know how to install another OS
>probably doesn't even know that OSX and windows aren't the only two OSs that exist

99% of people have IQs under 130.

You have to be pretty mad to make that retarded reply lol

>implying Linux doesn't run in every major cpu architecture
It's actually a great idea to use Apple hardware for Linux, driver support is guaranteed.

Why Indian shills project this much?
You really have no better way of making money than shitpost on a mongolian cartoon board?

>1% market share increase in eight (8) years
>WE'RE WINNING GUYS IT'LL ONLY TAKE 500 YEARS TO CATCH WINDOWS! THIS IS THE MILLENNIUM OF LINUX!

Does your Windows 7 or 10 is pirated ? I think it is .. So , you're not helping the company .. Just another idiot who does not know that there are so many servers running Linux distros .. And about IQ 130 .. To use linux u need to know how pc works to solve problems and do things your way. This is the ideia about Linux. Shut the fuck up and going to learn about computers.

Android uses Linux kernel with patches added. They rebase on top of mainline kernel and upstream features. Most documentation refer Android as using Linux kernel.

You're the retard here.

It's actually 100% increase. :^)

HAHAHA LINIGGERS BTFO!!