/sqt/ stupid questions bread

/sqt/

Other urls found in this thread:

bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=214313)
ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1158&page=13
amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-RR-212E-20PK-R2/dp/B005O65JXI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1470959100&sr=1-1&keywords=Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
windowscentral.com/how-use-refresh-tool-do-clean-install-windows-10
kickass.unblocked.li/
tftcentral.co.uk/articles/motion_blur.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Ill shoot,

I just recently got a shipment for a new pc from amazon...mobo, an HD, I ssd, power supply, vidcard, etc

Now, fuck me because I ordered in the summer, but all the contents were really fucking HOT, even inside their amazon boxes.

Is the heat from being transported from the warehouse to my doorstep something I should worry about?

No

In 4chanX, how do I get replies to deleted posts/threads have the slash go through the redirect like it does for normal Sup Forums?

I updated my android to kernel 3.4.0 somewhat recently
Before the update whenever I connected my phone to my desktop via USB a little notification would pop up asking if I wanted to transfer files with MTP or something.

Now on 6.0 that option doesn't show up and even searching "usb" or "mtp" in my phone's settings it doesn't bring anything up.

How do I enable MTP on my android?

PREVIOUSE:

Alright, so I have a workstation and I just bought some Registered RAM. Problem is, it doesn't fucking work, and it definitely SHOULD. Now, Lelnovo says max specs for this thing is as follows:
Memory

Type DDR3 Unbuffered SDRAM
ECC Supported
Maximum Capability : 1600MHz, UDIMM : PC3-10600 (1333MHz), RDIMM : PC3-8500 (1066MHz)
Max DIMM Sizes : 4GB
Maximum system memory : 24GB

Now, I am 100% positive that these limitations are sheerly based on the W3550 inside of it. I'm going to put an L5640 in there, and I have two questions:

First, will the L5640 be compatible with my system? It's an S20, by the way, and I'm sure it will be. Same socket and everything, but I just want to be sure.

Second, what is the maximum size and number of RAM that I can use for that processor? I currently have an 8GiB module.

Gon' post it there too , fuck me daddy

How long should I wait for Razer to stop trying to milk retarded buyers and finally to price the Razer Core close to what it's worth?

So I just got Antergos. I followed this guide (bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=214313) to install the driver for my RX 480. I followed everything exactly but it seems like it isn't working properly. I had to force my display to 1920x1080 from the default 1024x768 for Xorg and Steam doesn't run. Help?

reposting from the other thread
I need some help fixing >windows aero.

I recently moved and when I got to my new place aero suddenly wasn't working, I've tried running the troubleshooter, messing with desktop service manager thing, updating graphics card driver, and refreshing my windows experience score but nothing seems to be working.

any help would be appreciated

int main(){
char cad[40];
int i;
printf("Put a string\n");
scanf("%s", cad);
printf("\n");
for(i=0; cad[i]; i++){
if (isalpha(cad[i])){
printf("%c is alpha!\n", cad[i]);
}
}
}

Whats the termination value here?

thats why i thought, but then why does it work?

*what i thought

what do you guys do when reddit is down?

install AMD drivers

what is cmetaha?

drink so i don't remember i used to have a life

you are trying too hard
tone it down a bit and you might get some bites :^)

When scanf reads a string, it appends a null terminator ('\0') to the end of the input.
And as we all know, for loops terminate if the condition is 0.

say, why does that cat not like chicken?

because scanf automatically appends a terminating null character

i originally had r/buildapcsales, but i realized that was actually a decent excuse to go to reddit

An eastern and central european brand of sour cream

smetana is a turkic word for cream

I undersand why it stops, i don't understand why if cad[i] is cad[0] it even runs the for

shouldn't it terminate as soon as it beggins?

or does it starts at i=1?

No, if i change i to 1 then it skips the first char

that if checks if cad[i] is alphanumeric, not if i !=0

Bumping myself

but doesn't the syntax mean:
"for i in range 0 to cad[0]"?

does cad[0] mean the whole string?

for iterates through every character of that string
if inside that loop checks if that character is alphanumeric. if it is, then it prints that message, if it's not it simply goes to another iteration of loop

I know what the code does, i don't understand why it iterates through all, first cause cad[i] is a char, not an integer, and second cause char[i] at the moment of for declaration would be cad[0], aka, the first char is the termination value

unless of course index 0 refers to the whole string and not to the first char of the string

and to make things messier, if i try changing it for cad[0] it loops for ever

does i change on every iteration? if so, then do null terminators stop the for completely?

if so, is this even the correct way to do it, or just a hack abusing how C internally works?

>tech illiterate roommate wants gaming pc cause his friend just got one
>I send him an ad for one, 3570k, gtx680, 16gb ram, etc
>everything but harddrive and case
>not amazing, but it's more than enough for him
I'm still running a 2500k. how much of a performance gain would I get if I swapped my cpu for his? I don't think he'd ever notice

>does i change on every iteration
yes it does, that's why you have i++
i starts at 0, checks if cad[i] is different than null, executes loop body that prints that message, then it increments i and goes back to start

enough for it to be worth it

Libparted 3.2
Check and repair file system (ntfs) on /dev/sdb 00:00:06 ( ERROR )

calibrate /dev/sdb 00:00:06 ( SUCCESS )

path: /dev/sdb
start: 0
end: 1952151551
size: 1952151552 (930.86 GiB)
check file system on /dev/sdb for errors and (if possible) fix them 00:00:00 ( ERROR )

ntfsresize -i -f -v /dev/sdb

ntfsresize v2014.2.15AR.2 (libntfs-3g)
ntfs_mst_post_read_fixup_warn: magic: 0x00000000 size: 1024 usa_ofs: 0 usa_count: 65535: Invalid argument
Record 0 has no FILE magic (0x0)
Failed to load $MFT: Input/output error
ERROR(5): Opening '/dev/sdb' as NTFS failed: Input/output error
NTFS is inconsistent. Run chkdsk /f on Windows then reboot it TWICE!
The usage of the /f parameter is very IMPORTANT! No modification was
and will be made to NTFS by this software until it gets repaired.

is my drive ded

>yes it does, that's why you have i++
Oh okay, i thought that it would turn cad[i] into cad[0] at the beginning of the for, not asses it differently on each run

>checks if cad[i] is different than null
Okay, so, for naturally stops if there's a null?

Ivy Bridge CPUs are not compatible with Sandy Bridge motherboards.

Sorry.

That's what I found for laptop CPUs, anyways. Desktops might be different, but I doubt it.

hi, why all the package on freebsd are fucking old ?
any up-to-date bsd distribution or I can give up ?

for stops when condition evaluates to false
0 is zero as false, non-zero values are treated as true
cad[i] is non-zero when it's different than \0 (null byte)
you could rewrite it as for(i=0; cad[i] != '\0'; i++)

I was looking at this ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1158&page=13

and at stock speeds, a 3570k is better by ~3%, but once you overclock both, they become virtually equal

again, I don't think he'd notice, but I'd still have to remove heatsinks and take out the CPU, etc. and I know my CPU can OC to 4.5 stable, what if his can't?

as far as I know, SB and IB use the same socket, just different BIOS

Good pirate sites to get games? I can't access kat.cr anymore.

>you could rewrite it as "for(i=0; cad[i] != '\0'; i++)"

Thanks a lot man, now it makes sense :)

Try swapping themes from whatever you're on now to windows basic, then back to one of the aero themes.

tried that, no luck

It's worth whatever people will pay for it. There's really not a lot of competition

Maybe. Run chkdsk in windows.

They can be compatible, just needs a BIOS update, which most laptops never got.

>buy skylake system
>put Windows 7 on it
>goes okay
>install drivers and restart
>machine now reboots itself a few seconds after it gets to the login screen
>does not do so if started in safe mode

does anyone have any ideas what to look into as the possible problem here? Or had something similar happen? I tried restarting with "disable reboot on system failure", no change - it's not a BSOD or anything, it just shuts off completely for a second and then restarts, like you saved settings in the BIOS.

No, I will not install Windows 10. I could install Linux and do PCI passthrough but I'd really rather not.

I'm replacing my laptop HDD with a SSD. Other than ensuring power is completely and totally off and following the service steps provided by the manufacturer precisely, is there anything else I should do or is it really just a matter of taking the HDD out and putting the SSD in?

Use a static resistant strap if possible, if not do it on hardwood or tile surface.

And yes it's usually just take the HDD out and put the ssd in

>static resistant strap
One of these things?

I just got a new laptop and the colors are completely off (whites showing as yellows, etc.)
Is there a quick way to fix this so it looks normal?

Just got a new dell laptop and want to do a fresh windows 10 install to get rid of their crap.

Can I just download the ISO from microsoft and throw in on a USB? Won't Windows install the drivers I need automatically?

I'm building a new PC guys, and the I5 6600k doesnt come with a fan/heatsink, so I ordered this thing

amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-RR-212E-20PK-R2/dp/B005O65JXI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1470959100&sr=1-1&keywords=Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Its fucking huge, bigger than my regular fan/heatsink on my sandy bridge 2500k

Was this an over kill because I dont plan to OC the cpu? Also, Its heavier than my current one, would the weight ever stress out the motherboard to cause some hardware issue?

I bought a watercooler but the whole thing is too big for my case.
My question is, can i still use the fan? Can i have it direct wind onto my srock cooler?

Does MFT only point to file locations? Does it actually know if the data it points to was deleted or modified if you used something like ccleaner on it?

windowscentral.com/how-use-refresh-tool-do-clean-install-windows-10

Has anyone tried reviving arcades but with VR instead?

You would have to lease a decently large place. It would have maybe 25-30 rooms, rented by the hour. Each room would have a VR headset connected to a high spec PC, and every PC connected to a subnet in a LAN.

The games would have to be specially coded so that at the beginning of a chosen game, you can choose to match up with other people in the network. That way, if someone wanted, they could bring a group of friends and they can play some shooting game or whatever together.

My PSU was making noises so I opened it up and ended up cutting out the (what I late learned was) copper shielding. What is the purpose of this and how long until I can expect my computer to blow up?

Are COMPTIA certs worth getting?

You're just ripping off Minority Report.

Pair it up with something else

settings > storage > menu button > usb computer connection > mtp

DO NOT OPEN YOUR PSU. Ever. They are not meant to be opened. The capacitors in there can hold enough power to kill you indefinitely. You can work on almost any part of a computer, except the insides of a PSU or monitor. If I were you I'd just chuck the thing. Sorry.

>ended up cutting out the (what I late learned was) copper shielding

Well it was making noises that I later found out was just the fan but I thought it was the fan hitting the "plastic sheet" but it turns out it was just the screws vibrating.

What do I do if it makes noises again? My autism will drive me insane.

Current RAM that I am using is PC3-12800, Now I have another 6GB of RAM that is PC3-12800U 11-12-A1. Can I mix match? Don't want to mess something up.
I really don't need it because I have 16GB but if it's usable then I might as well instead of it collecting dust.

There's this fucking cool clock widget that came with the phone but I can use it only on the lockscreen it won't show up among the widgets on the home screen. How can I fix this?

>I can't access kat.cr anymore
kickass.unblocked.li/

buying a CD/DVD drive as well as a memory card reader like the one in pic related

Will any of them fit or do I have to search for something that's compatible with my build?

Try disabling all startup programs and non-microsoft services in msconfig and booting that way. Also try scannow /sfc from command prompt. BTW which method did you use to get around the windows 7/skylake usb3 problem?

Use a drill to make a hole for the wire and tape it to the side of the case

Why can't rootcloak hide my root from superior Japanese mobile games folded over 1000 times?
Seriously though.

Buy a new one. Seriously. That's the only safety thing they ever hammered home in college PC building classes. Every other "safety" tip was just about protecting the equipment from being damaged. But PSUs are fuckin dangerous and you just don't open them under any circumstances.

You're a savage

I wouldn't add it. The difference between 16gb and 22 is minimal, and it will probably be shit for your configuration

No reason not to get them really.

Why is so much text symbols in my new arch install? Its like this on two separate installs on two different computers. It seems like every time I reboot it gets worse. How the shit do I fix this?

Is it worth it to get a high refresh rate monitor that can strobe the backlight or is it only a minor difference?

I have a Dell Optiplex 7010 by the way. I know that the difference isn't much but I can dedicate 2GB to a RAMDisk, and 4GB to a VM and that way I can have 16GB for my main OS.

I just read up more about it and it sounds like it's not something I should have been doing. Thanks for the PSA, I guess if it makes noises again I'm gonna have to get a new one.

Check the size of the bay, like 3.5inch for HDDs. 2.5 SSDs, 5.25 for dvds. If you need to fit a smaller device in a larger bay they have cheap adapters.

Well I don't know off hand the difference that "u" makes in this case, but assuming it is compatible, you're still probably going to mess up whatever dual channel configuration you have and screw with the timings. No use reducing your main system performance just so you have more breathing room for VMs

It's not safe to feed a cat raw chicken.

Also how can you make ice if you are on a very hot desert but you have wood and matches?

Gotcha, so it's all about physical compatibility with those things(memory card reader/CD drive). Good to hear.

True

Yes, they use the same socket, but they're incompatible.

It's like the S1 Socket from AMD and the four generations of CPUs made for it.

Although the opposite is true, older motherboards cannot support newer CPUs.

> They can be compatible, just needs a BIOS update, which most laptops never got.
Really?

So I can put an Ivy Bridge into my T420?

Last time I checked, it was because the motherboards were built with only 5 channels or whatever, while the Ivy chips used 6.

Yes you can

Not really.

Maybe you could try one of those screen burn-in YouTube videos?

> Was this an over kill because I dont plan to OC the cpu?
> the I5 6600k
Why would you do this?

a.) will try. I didn't think there'd be any but one of the driver packages might have put one there.
b.) I just plugged in a DVD drive and installed that way. I used a PS2 keyboard since the mobo has a port for it. apparently the motherboard's compatibility settings let a USB mouse work, though I didn't notice it until after I'd reinstalled a few times.

took off my evo 212+ to re-seat it horizontally and I noticed some small metal flakes about 2-3 I could see around my motherboards pcb in random areas, I blew them off but I know there is a good chance there are more possibly from the heatsink fins from fidgeting with it.

Should I be worried about letting it be?

These little flakes are about the size of your average dust partical. So no really flakes you would think but really teeny tiny ones.

My card reader is 3.5", so if you have any external bays that are the same size, they should be good.

CD/DVD drives are 5.25", and there are definitely bays for those.

If you don't have any 3.25" external bays, you can always get an adapter.

> a high refresh rate monitor that can strobe the backlight or is it only a minor difference?
> a high refresh rate monitor that can strobe the backlight
What does that even mean?

Awesome. I fucking love you so much right now.

Any idea which BIOS it is, or where I can find it for my T420? Their website, maybe?

> CAPTCHA: Indian VIA

I'm trying to get a hdd out of a dead netbook to use as a portable drive, but the thing is stuck to the "skeleton" that held it to the main computer by 4 really tight screws. Is there any way to loosen them up withow damaging the hard disk?

What is that? Should I be worried?

tftcentral.co.uk/articles/motion_blur.htm

>56035895
Night and day difference. 120hz strobed >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 144hz non-strobed.

How do I leave a window always on top?
Im getting paranoid about my cpu temp.