Up to date web browser

>up to date web browser
>out of date OS

Is there really any danger of using an out of date OS if any exploit has to make it pass the web browser first?

fug

there is.
recommended is, installing all updates except telemetry ones and hiding the telemetry ones.
Until 2020 of course.

Explain

There's no reason not to stay up-to-date on security patches, especially on an older OS like 7 which doesn't have clear seperation between elevated and non-elevated processes (basically, everything runs as administrator all the fucking time)

>(basically, everything runs as administrator all the fucking time)
I fail to see how this has changed in Windows 8/10.

Windows 7 is going to be supported till 2020. I've already jumped to slackware linux, you have until then to jump to linux if you want to avoid windows 10

>if any exploit has to make it pass the web browser first
That's not always true. I'm not that knowledgeable on exploits, but I'm sure you can exploit just about anything: fonts, Flash, MS Office, etc.

Update windows and avoid these updates.

Look at the Elevated column. Ones that say "Yes" can do whatever, ones that say "No" can't. You need an additional priviledge escalation exploit to do any damage.

>7 which doesn't have clear seperation between elevated and non-elevated processes (basically, everything runs as administrator all the fucking time)
No, it doesn;t run everything as admin. It's the same like in 8 and 10, which is the same like it was on Vista. Everything runs as limited user unless manually elevated.

Bah, I rather just run BSD in a VM on top of 7

You do realize that "elevated privileges" come from UAC, a Vista feature, right?

He's just a 10 shill

OP how long did it take windows update to find all those

I'm installing 7 right now. I installed SP1 and then started another check. it's been four hours. even apt-get never cucked me like this

does it take 4 digits longer than installing gentoo ?

There's a patch you have to install first

The idiot CS majors who coded the update code thought it would be cool to use recursion like their lisp meme and broke the shit out of the code.

>Not using updated iso
>not rolling updates into iso
>not using WSUS Offline Updater

I set this up at work and it often takes 2 days to get it fully updated
While in the Linux world, I did 236 updates on my Debian at home yesterday, and it took nearly no time at all.

I guess I should have tried but slipstreaming was always bad news back when I tried to use it for putting RAID drivers into WinXP.

that and I already had the disc.

I've literally been installing Debian on my other machine while this has been going on. I've had enough time to:
>put my old motherboard in a new case
>hook up the PSU and a boot drive
>download Debian netinstall and make a flash drive of it on my laptop
>install Debian
>upgrade it to testing
>install all the stuff I need that doesn't come with it
>configure my DE to my liking

I'm gonna set up all my firefox addons and shit next, I'll probably have that done before windows gets its shit together

I wish I wasn't too stupid to set up PCI passthrough so I wouldn't have to deal with this shit just for my vidya gaymen

Depends how many thousand hacking attempts you get per day and if they're from the CIA, from Chinese spies or from the Russian government.

Who the fuck ever had a """security""" problem with their home computer since Windows XP?

Either man up and update your shit OS or use a real OS, user.

Is there really any danger of using DOS if any exploit has to make it pass the web browser which is exploit free first?

Oh right, yeah there is since an exploit for your web browser is different than an exploit for your OS.