Who else misses pre-unity Ubuntu?

Who else misses pre-unity Ubuntu?
>clean no nonsense gnome 2 desktop
>no messy transition to gtk3
>no amazon bullshit
>actually useful control center and not os x ripoff system settings

It just felt so comfy to use, now when I boot up Ubuntu, it just feels like its charm and elegance is lost

Other urls found in this thread:

ubuntu-mate.org
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You know you can install other DMs on ubuntu, right?

Ubuntu MATE now get

yes obviously, but it just doesn't have that same feeling anymore like it did in 09-10

Every time I would install Cinnamon and uninstall Unity, something would break.

Ubuntu Mate

Why don't you use ubuntu mate? you still have the choice.

> dat confyness
I don't know if it is just miss my naivety from back then, but I sure miss this little orange beast

looks really bad
REALLY bad
i mean wow

Install Ubuntu mate, that's as close as you can get unfortunately.

You're a fucking autistic retard who shills a buggy fucked up distro and abuses his tripcode. Nothing you say has any value.

I already installed Ubuntu, mate. Now tell me how to get rid of this Unity shit.

you have not seen the kde 1 then

ubuntu-mate.org

or even older gnome

>Ubuntu Mate
So... Mint?

This is bait.

Yes.
This.
/thread

Used to miss it like hell. I ran gnome flashback forever trying to stay on GTK3 and keep the old feel... Then I just gave up and got Cinnamon. You smack a nice theme on Cinnamon to actually make it presentable and it's the best damn thing there is.

...but you will have to dig up dconf and tick some session options to make it play nice with systemd. Can't blame this on Cinnamon though.

>but you will have to dig up dconf and tick some session options to make it play nice with systemd. Can't blame this on Cinnamon though.

Better yet, don't use systemd

that looks like a fancy windows 95

Not even trying to bate.
Mint (the version with Mate) is Ubuntu based anyways.
Its been many years since I've used Ubuntu it self, so I'm not sure what would potentially be different from the two.

Then why not just use the superior Ubuntu mate instead?

Mint is running on an outdated kernel and has lower performance and security overall.

>no messy transition to gtk3
GTK3 is such an atrocity.

It legit looks better than LXDE

Good luck finding a normal distro without it.

I remember hating Unity Ubuntu a lot when it appeared. But now I think I like it (mostly because of the global menu). It feels refreshing, even though just a bit.

Welp, get ready for Unity 8 to fuck it all up.

W-what happened

That reminds me of 12.04, the first Linux I ever installed. Comfy as phuck.

Nothing yet, they've been delaying it forever and fixing it up, but knowing Canonical it definitely won't come without problems... They're trying really hard for full convergence with it but I get the feeling that it's just gonna go at the expense of desktop experience.

>Who else misses pre-unity Ubuntu?

*crickets*

But... Unity came out in 2010...

kek

I meant 10.04, whoops.

It reminds me that I have the cdrom of 9.04, back when they shipped it.

Is this supposed to look bad
The bar at the bottom is huge and that's about it

Anything has to be better than the mediocre mess Unity is now, with half baked web apps, a still useless dash menu after so many years, sometimes shipping with broken themes, that bizarre Amazon search function,

Why don't they just use DuckDuckGo and give you the option to switch to Google/Bing/Yahoo from the dash search? If they're already willing to go full Amazon botnet.

No. Really liking unity now using 16.10 alpha as main OS. Is the most polished DE, fast and easy. I love dash and alt, alt+f2 thing is incredible. If only was more configurable and less heavy on RAM it would be perfect.

Much better than the frankenstein gnome2 was and mate is. Let it die.

Everybody, whether or not they know it

Unity sucks

fuck that is comfy

Yeah, I know what you mean. Gnome 2 used to be the standard, so most of the development effort went into it and it usually wasn't horribly buggy. But now all the "classic desktop" users are split between Xfce, Mate, Cinnamon, KDE, and LXDE and so they're all buggy as shit. I'm using Xubuntu, and 16.04 introduced a bunch of new annoying bugs and didn't fix any of the old ones. The flagship DE of Ubuntu is always going to be the most polished one

You can get it today and it's preddy gud all around.

I'm satisfied.

8.10 for me

>pre-unity ubuntu
I love how kids that know nothing about GNU think that Ubuntu HAS to use Unity.

Any notable bugs with Ubuntu Mate or plain old Ubuntu (w/Unity)?

After a recent update from 14.04 to 16.04 fucked up (no menu bars or launcher,) I decided to wipe everything and try Ubuntu Studio. I modified a menu item (so a game would launch full screen) and the application groups vanished. Apparently this was a known bug. I haven't gotten around to trying to fix it yet, but the store is useless since the search box doubles key presses, and now Thunar is occasionally crashing. So I'm thinking I might just install something else.

gnome 2 was pretty goat. mate is not really as good

Mint have a different updating strategy.
It does not matter if the distro is based on ubuntu, they are not the same.

Your opinion sucks
It's not like everyone wasn't already using compiz, gnome-do and a dock in gnome2, unity just integrate everything in a nicer interface
Vanilla gnome2 was totally shitty and useless (gerarchic menu was a mistake, sorry), unity literally fixed everything

you are on Sup Forums, what the fuck did you expect ?

= why moved to xubuntu

Mate is literally the same thing.

oh god the nostalgia....

+1

;_;