What is the point of having a desktop again? I'm a software developer for a living, don't play video games...

What is the point of having a desktop again? I'm a software developer for a living, don't play video games, and all the heavy number crunching is done by a server. I use my computer basically as a way to write messages (emails, IMs, etc), to look things up on the web, and to use a text editor to modify code.

Is there a point to getting a desktop? If the point is gaming, I'm still undecided, since modern games seem like rehashes of older games. If the point is screen real-estate, I think an argument can be made for that.

My budget right now is ~$700, and will go up to about ~$1,000 if I wait another two weeks for my next paycheck (have bills).

(You)
>desktops are only for games

1. There is no such thing as an ergonomic laptop. They all suck for your hands and your posture. If you use a laptop all day, you will develop back problems from hunching over.
2. Internal storage

What are they for, then?

>what is CAD
>what is heavy video and image editing

>and all the heavy number crunching is done by a server

>not knowing how video editing works
>"muh server does the math"

are you retarded? you still need a PC with enough CPU power and RAM so you can actually edit something.

>what is a laptop

There is no point to having a desktop, any business laptop made from 2011 and onward provides good enough performance to make it your main machine

Source: I spent $600 on a nice setup, only to take it all apart, repackage it and put it back in my closet. I then bought a thinkpad and have been using that since.

Noise. Power.

>implying that mobile CPU power is enough for editing
>what is price to perfomance

did you actually ever edited something?

You (I) still need a large screen and keyboard. You are fine to get an Intel NUC or MemeMini.

The most powerful CPU and GPU you can put in a laptop are comparable to mid range desktop components. If you still want your faggy bitch laptop for heavy workload then you make a desktop "server" to do the heavy lifting. A server that is doing the heavy lifting for your weak ass laptop is still essentially a desktop computer, but locked away in a cabinet

OP doesn't edit videos or uses cad. He specifically said he uses his pc to stare at the interwebs and to use a text editor. Whats the point in having the preformance to do something that you don't want to do?

dell precision line and thinkpad w/p series is the solution for that

OP is implying that no one needs a desktop because he doesnt need one, what essentially makes him a retarded faggot.

programming on a laptop keyboard will inevitably land you some sweet carpal tunnel

Which is fine with a full sized keyboard and monitor.

>be op
>want to say "whats the point of ME having a desktop again
>doesn't type me
>Sup Forums is butthurt

Speed/Power and options for people who do things beyond working with text.

agreed

want to be friends?

Anything fun like 3d work or video editing. It also seems more professional to have a desktop.

>My specific needs do not require the use of a desktop therefore why do they even still exist?
Just kill yourself. You and everyone who is as autistic and retarded as you are.

If you don't need a desktop, don't get one you fucking dip shit. You don't need to go full autistic overboard and question why they even still exist at all. Fucking hell.

If someone says something exceedingly retarded, especially with an anime character posted it's obvious that they're baiting for attention.

>Never attribute to stupidity that which can be attributed to the need for attention.

Sup Forums always replies to weak bait. I've seen threads thrive here that wouldn't even get one or two replies on my home board, then the same people bumping troll threads turn around and complain about how shit Sup Forums is.

I know its bait, but I just cant help myself with this kind of bullshit. Had to reply.

Not if you put it on a table, or plug a keyboard/mouse into it...

Laptops are becoming more and more powerful, so you can use them as less-powerful towers just by plugging shit in (or using a dock) AND they're portable.

>Implying Sup Forums is ever not butthurt

>What is the point of having a desktop again?
Your hobbies and your way of life don't require a desktop, that's all.
You can find a shitload of reasons, "gaming" is one, "because I like having a desktop" is one.
Your thread has no other objective than to start a flaming war between laptop users and desktop users

>all the heavy number crunching is done by a server

>CLOUD COMPUTING

No, I'm asking if I'm missing out on something real by not having one. The most compelling argument I've heard for this so far is screen real-estate since a good video card lets me have a bajillion things up simultaneously. It's useful for having a chat window, a text editor (or two/three), and documentation for whatever library I'm using on screen at the same time.

However, this isn't quite compelling yet, since I'd have to sacrifice the mobility of being able to literally put this thing in my backpack and walk away with it.

I could conceivably reconcile the two by getting one of the pricier laptops that does have a good video card in it, so I can plug extra monitors in while I'm home.

Yeah I'm kind of feeling it when I write code on my little rinky dink HP Stream. The internals are garbage but the form factor is so well-built I can't not love the little piece of shit.

>implying cloud computing isn't the shit

The better question is: What would I ever need a laptop for?

Get server
Get rinkydink laptop
X11 forwarding

Screen real-estate is actually a reason for me, but also video games, I guess. I don't really want to run into things where my computer's power is an issue. My desktop is only Sandy Bridge, but I think it's pretty capable.

I think in a perfect world, I could adjust to having a pretty powerful ThinkPad and just docking it at a desk with a couple monitors and a mechanical keyboard when I'm at home.

For this to come to be, the ThinkPad Retro has to not be shit, though. My T420 is a bit weak for my tastes, and even moreso my X220T.

Just get a dock if it's available for your laptop, hook up a monitor or two and a keyboard and mouse.