What's that?

Did I hear that right Sup Forums? You don't encrypt your drives!?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AES_instruction_set#Performance
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AES_instruction_set
tomb.dyne.org/TKS1-draft.pdf
backblaze.com/blog/enterprise-drive-reliability/
amazon.com/Samsung-HD154UI-SATA-5400-Drive/dp/B002AL7TC4
amazon.com/Red-3TB-Hard-Disk-Drive/dp/B008JJLW4M
hgst.com/products/hard-drives/ultrastar-7k4000
hgst.com/sites/default/files/resources/DS7K4000_ds.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=ltdgSEPPCZs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I have nothing worth encrypting.

yes, surprising but i am not a pedophile neckbeard.

I'm debating on whether or not I should transfer my family pictures taken through the years over onto an encrypted flash drive or not, bc I currently have them on an external hdd that I store everything on

if I lost it, it would be okay with me - I wouldn't be okay with someone seeing me and my family though.

only on my laptop, since that can be stolen easily or inspected by TSA goons or whatever

if someone has physical access to my desktop I've already fucked up

Why would you go through the trouble? Do you have something to hide?

You're not a pedo or a terrorist, are you user?

I encrypt photos of me with your mom.

Same here man, I don't have anything of value.

Yea if I ever got a laptop I would do this. What does the TSA go through anyways? Do they actually look through your shit or do they just turn it on?

I only encrypt personal information that I don't want anyone to have access to such as specific server configurations (install instructions, passwords and etc. for my personal server), personalized scripts that contain personal information, software licenses (as a backup) and my original resumè file for editing.

Everything else (old uni work, books/uni books, useful portable software) I just keep in .rar archives.

This is all online on dropbox. I don't really store anything of value on my computer so I couldn't care less if it wasn't encrypted.

can I have a copy of your resume

please

No

What's the point?

.Rar to save space right?

Yes.

I encrypt my HDDs (where my media is on) but not my SSDs (where my home folder and OS is on)

I'll probably encrypt my OS as well when I next upgrade my SSDs, just sort of wary of boot-time decryption

I'll do that as well. How much space does it save?

Depends on your files.

I encrypt /home and file storage. Encrypted root is a hassle.

NOTHING TO HIDE NOTHING TO FEAR

Yes.

I only encrypt specific files containing my passwords (fuck off pw manager cucks) other than that I don't have anything worth encrypting. If the feds really would want access to my PC they would just waterboard me until I give them the password. That's the sad truth unfortunately

I use a folder that's symlinked to an encrypted drive
When anyone looks while it's not mounted, it'll be empty

OFFICER AM I BEING DETAINED?
NOTHING TO FEAR NOTHING TO HIDE
I AM NO T A PA fuck the cia niggers. The niggers just don't know that. I am free like God made me. In 1992, I saw a

LAND OF THE FREE

Not him but this could happen in every country anytime

But he's exagerating a bit on the feds going for him since the only way the feds would go to his house is because of CP
Also, the only way a cop would go to your house in US is because of the niggers of MPAA and RIAA asking to give em shekels

Ah gomenasai

I mean, it's either CP or he's pirating but you can get certain shit so you don't get cops becaus of the latter
If it's the first then you're fucked and gonna get raped by the BBC of justice

Sorry for grammar dess dess

>he doesn't have a RAID card to offload disk encryption on to
laughingsluts.jpg

>he trusts proprietary hardware for encryption
>he thinks encryption is CPU heavy

>>he thinks encryption is CPU heavy
wow you're a retard

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AES_instruction_set#Performance
>In AES-NI Performance Analyzed, Patrick Schmid and Achim Roos found, "... impressive results from a handful of applications already optimized to take advantage of Intel's AES-NI capability".[24] A performance analysis using the Crypto++ security library showed an increase in throughput from approximately 28.0 cycles per byte to 3.5 cycles per byte with AES/GCM versus a Pentium 4 with no acceleration.[25][26]
That works out to 23.1Ghz worth of cycles for 6.6GB/sec

>he trusts proprietary hardware for encryption
Any encryption software you use is going to be running on proprietary hardware retard.

No, you are. AES-NI is a secure way of doing software encryption with amazing performance.

>Any encryption software you use is going to be running on proprietary hardware retard.
The implementation matters. The hardware can add its own key if it wants to, and it's going to be very hard to check.

You don't understand anything about security.

>No, you are. AES-NI is a secure way of doing software encryption
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AES_instruction_set

Its the AES core on Intel's CPUs, proprietary hardware just as you complained about on my LSI 3108 ROC retard.

> with amazing performance.
You couldn't reach the same performance if you dedicated 100% of your CPU to encryption alone.

You are confusing the whole implementation - say, dm-crypt, and the algorithm - say, AES. AES-NI does only the latter and is pretty much impossible to backdoor; it's highly verifiable.
Please prove to me you understand the difference between those two things.

The implementation, if done in hardware, is incredibly easy to backdoor, because it can allow multiple decryption keys (LUKS+dm-crypt does, but you can actually audit it).

Yes, you could beat it, because your card isn't that powerful. Not that any storage solution would keep up with the CPU.

You know that .rar is not as safe as truecrypt, right?

keep them encrypted

god knows what would happen if the public saw these monstrosities

You're an idiot, I've flown through the US and internationally on dozens of flights, they don't turn on your laptop lmao, ever. This is one of the stupidest concepts I've ever even heard of. It's not like files of interest need to be kept on your harddrive, you can just keep them encrypted on a remote server.

The TSA just asks you to turn it on. Border agents however...

>I dont understand how TKS1 works
>I dont understand how AES works
Here you go retard
tomb.dyne.org/TKS1-draft.pdf

That's not what I said.
Please explain the difference between AES and dm-crypt. I will not ask a third time.

I can't believe someone can be this obtuse, but you're hopefully just an NSA shill or having some sort of huge buyers remorse.

Look here retard, i'll hold your hand and even give you a pic from the PDF I linked. The whole multiple decryption key thing from LUKS is from TKS1, which uses an entirely different, non AES algorithm to encrypt the key which is actually used for AES.

The LSI3108 implementation is just as verifiable as your LUKS/dmcrypt

Now stay BTFO and poor. I bet that card cost more than the shitbox you're posting from.

No, because it can insert its own decryption keys (or create a master key with a flawed RNG), which I've said from the start. Since 90% of the time is spent in AES, there's really no point in offloading the rest to a card. Hardware RAID has also been retarded since the year ZFS came out, by the way.

The card isn't expensive in the first place. It's just dumb as fuck, and well loved by NSA agents.

>master key
Again that is from TKS1. There is no such thing here. There is a single key, you can manually decrypt a block from the hard drive with it and see for yourself. Go look at the picture you see the top two rows? Thats what LUKS is doing with multiple keys.

>I wish I could afford a SSD array
I know

My mistake. You still don't understand how any of this works. You have constantly avoided responding to any precise point I made.

>look at screenshot again
>apple logo

Oh god. Should have known in advance you're a technology illiterate and not bothered.

You havent made any points, you've spurged out about a key management system you dont understand, and pretended your soft-raid is some way comparable performance wise to a hardware implementation, and said a $1300 RAID "card isn't expensive",

>technology illiterate
ok, pic related

>apple logo
stay jelly poorfag

>that absolutely dirty keyboard and finger
>can't even properly take a macro picture

btfo confirmed, stay jelly of the Areca 1883ix-24 and its blazing fast AES cores

I'm not even that guy you had that massive argument with
Can you please take another sharp picture of your macbook keyboard

>I'm not even that guy you had that massive argument with
sure you aren't

This is probably the best thread we've had on Sup Forums in months.

Check the (you)s

This book will precisely not cover what I have talked about. This is about the implementation, not the cryptography. This is where all the backdoors and fuckups happen. You should know that.

Yet, butthurt as you are, you took the time to take a blurry picture (because your hands are shaking with rage) instead of trying to understand it.

No, $1300 isn't expensive. My arrays cost more in drives alone. But since even running a scrub is

He probably isnt

>Check the (you)s
It sure is hard to edit those with any browser

>This is about the implementation
You're talking about something which has nothing at all to do with AES - a key management system.

> My arrays cost more in drives alone
lets see some time stamped pics, i'll be waiting poorfag

Thats a -12 model and doesn't include a BBU, l2read retard

>i dont know what write cache is
>i dont understand why you dont get 12Gb/sec from a SATA 3 HDD.

>he thinks that I would edit all the highlights at the left of every post and all the (you)s
No, really?

yep, impossible to do

He didn't say its not possible you fucking retard he said it wasn't worth his fucking time.

>My arrays cost more in drives alone.
still waiting on those pics user, surely you'll deliver. I'm sure you'll have enterprise SSDs and HDDs like me.

Disgusting fonts.

But seriously, post some of those "blazing fast encryption scores" or whatever. I'm still trying to figure out why you blew $1300 on a RAID controller.

I have the 2tb version of that HGST I think. Intel 730 for muh ssd

Saying that privacy isn't important because you don't have anything to hide is like saying freedom of speech isn't important because you have nothing to say.

>being this mad

I hope just using my spare drives is OK, I only have one running at home. There are a few more but you'd have to make more funny pictures yourself to see them!

I love this website

Where the fuck do you live? Ireland, Spain, Portugal ?

ditto

now without the paper

please

that isnt an array, that is a bunch of random disks just laying around. where the fuck is your array? for fucks sakes, they're not matched disks and i even see "recertified" disks in there, and 5400 RPM disks. They're not enterprise class either. How disappointing user, that sure as fuck isnt $1300 worth.

Guess what I have tons of disks just lying around in a closet too; 2.5 cases to be precise of 2TB - 4TB. Do you even buy enough disks that you have the bulk packaging? Of course you dont, because you cant afford a real RAID card and have to do soft raid instead.

still waiting on those encryption scores, bruv

what encryption scores? what the fuck is an encryption score?

Actually the only thing why you should encrypt your drives is to protect physical access.

Because this I only encrypt my flash memories.

you were bragging about your blazing fast encyption of your RAID controller. I'm curious.
Maybe
open ssl speed

I just put everything back to their shelves. Here's some shitty drives I found

left: mine
right: yours

I have more running but nothing funny to do with, I'm not going to remove them or shut down the array just for a pic

ooops
openssl speed

> enterprise drive

you fall to every meme there is, do you?

>open ssl speed
that uses your CPU, it can't meter the ROC because it isnt exposed to the OS. I posted a pic already of its performance >still no pic of your "array"
>even more shitty disks
>still nothing enterprise class
>still nothing worth anywhere near $1300 of the price of the raid card you claimed, let alone of the rest of my storage subsystem.

>i dont know what MTBF is
>i dont know what unrecoverable read errors are
>i dont know why i would want super caps in my SSDs

I'm not a terrorist, so I have no need to.

So what do you do with this speedy array?

whats the easiest way to password protect a notepad file, or any text document, in windows 10?

I keep all my passwords written down in a "hidden file" but I feel like I should password protect it. obviously hiding the file isn't really doing anything

It runs vSphere

I want to know why your fingernail is yellow.
Then I would be willing to open the case where there's a live one. There's even SSDs!

> still nothing worth anywhere near $1300

First pic, 17 drives, all >=2TB, yes it does, even with bargain level drives. I never claimed more, you're the one moving the goalposts.

Yeah I recognize you now. Do you have most of those set up for work or tinkering or something?

So...how many disks do you have in RAID 0?

backblaze.com/blog/enterprise-drive-reliability/

>I want to know why your fingernail is yellow.
psoriasis, it weakens the bond between the nail and the bed. now give me a pic, i'm going out to the store soon so i might be afk for 30mins

>First pic, 17 drives, all >=2TB, yes it does, even with bargain level drives.
no, for instance that hd154u1 is $60 new, and I clearly see repaired hard drives in there too

amazon.com/Samsung-HD154UI-SATA-5400-Drive/dp/B002AL7TC4

the most expensive ones there are the WD reds and they're only $110 and there are only 4 of them

amazon.com/Red-3TB-Hard-Disk-Drive/dp/B008JJLW4M

> I never claimed more, you're the one moving the goalposts.
Nope, your stack of shit is under $1300 new. And this ignores that there are refurb disks in there.

>Do you have most of those set up for work or tinkering or something?
lab environment at home

>So...how many disks do you have in RAID 0?

8x 480GB Seagate 600 Pros in a RAID 0, 8x 4TB HGST UltraStar 7K4000s in a RAID 6.

>nothing about disk models
>nothing about unrecoverable read errors
in to the trash it goes as with all their shitty reports.

>getting a disk replaced by warranty makes it free
?

I only have 1 folder encrypted that contains my accounts.txt where I have all my passwords for websites, old tax returns, etc. I should probably move it to a USB drive.

here you go retard, enterprise vs desktop

hgst.com/products/hard-drives/ultrastar-7k4000
>Error Rate (non-recoverable, bits read) - 1 in 10^15

hgst.com/sites/default/files/resources/DS7K4000_ds.pdf
>Error rate (non-recoverable, bits read) 1 in 10^14

With desktop you get 1000% more data corruption

considering the pile of shit there, i wouldnt be surprised if you bought disks used. then against considering how so many are seagate desktops which are known to be piles of shit that always die, i suppose you could have bought it new.

gimi the array pic, im gona go to the store soon and i want to make some pithy comment about it

flaming isn't allowed on Sup Forums, user

Why would I buy disks used... and not use them? Who in their right mind sells refurbished drives? They're as new, just with a lesser warranty and actually replace something that died. You're letting your rage get the better of yourself.

4 on top

Its happened hundreds of times and a few high profile cases. And especially bad a few people rejected access or even imprisoned and charged for loli trying to get into Canada

youtube.com/watch?v=ltdgSEPPCZs

3 on bottom

the case is a meme that costs half of what your raid card costs, but I'm not afraid to admit that

what the fuck is this? give me a proper picture, like pic related

>Lian Li
topest of keks

is this a raid of gunk?

So is this the best you're going to give me? either $440 or $770 worth of disks when you claimed you had an array where the disks cost more than my RAID card.

babys first get script

They aren't fast enough.
Maybe when I build a new computer.

that projection

You still havent posted an array with >$1300 worth of disks. You said array, a pile of old as shit refurb disks siting in a drawer of yours without any ESD protection is not an array. And the 4 or 7 disks you posted dont cost >$1300 either.

Anyways im off to the store, i'll be back in a half hour or so, stay btfo user.