/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

security.stackexchange.com/questions/12503/can-wiped-ssd-data-be-recovered
pcpartpicker.com/list/7c3y4C
youtube.com/watch?v=HP73edpQwgc
pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/internet/14-best-cloud-storage-services-2016-uk-copy-3614269/
technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/gg309170.aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I just bought a 1070, plan on upgrading to a 1080ti/big vega if it isn't shit. The problem is that I don't know what kind of monitor to get now, all I have is a basic 1440p monitor and a 1080p dell ultrasharp. I don't know what combination of 144hz, g-synch, 4k/1440p ultrawide, IPS etc. would be good for this next monitor. Budget is $1200 because that's what a 34" ultrawide with g-sync would cost. Less would be nice though

Nobody responded to me in the password managers thread:

So, I'm using 1Password at the moment, just on my phone. (I didn't want to pay for the membership.)

Is 1Password considered good or bad? Should I change all of my passwords and my password manager?

>buy 1070
>then buy 1080
now this isnt your average stupid
>$1200 for a 1440p g-sync monitor
fucking christ

>1080ti

KeePass is free, cross-platform, and saves the pw database locally wherever you want instead of on someone else's server.

Also it'd be a 34" ultrawide (3440x1440) monitor, IPS panel with g-sync and a 100hz refresh rate.

There's like 2 monitors that meet all those requirements, what do you need us for? Surely there's some thread on reddit you can share your wet dream with.

Is data in ANY way recoverable off an SSD after its Trim function has been called through Windows Optimization utility?
My understanding is when you "delete" a file on an SSD, it is still there but has been marked for deletion by a chip in the SSD. In this state the data is easy to recover, but once trim is called, the data is dumped and gone for good no matter the recovery method?

how do i kill this? tried malwarebytes, tdsskiller, microsoft malware scan etc

>pale moon
theres your problem, use a real browser

a dirty fix would be to edit your host file (in System32/drivers/etc) to include 188.40.51.20 and redirect it to 000.00.00.00. Then try to get rid of it with AVG (free version, the best free AV out).

How can I wake up a lithium ion battery?

security.stackexchange.com/questions/12503/can-wiped-ssd-data-be-recovered

Trim certainly helps, but SSDs often move things around instead of outright deleting them, to save time. It's the weird thing about physical location not mattering like it does on an HDD. If your manufacturer offers a secure erase utility then that has much better odds of wiping the drive effectively. But on a file by file basis it's very difficult to reliably erase.

Avg hasn't been shit in years

Thanks. I have another question that perhaps you can answer.

Everyone says that an SSD can't effectively be nuked to destroy data like an HDD can because of the unique way SSDs operate.
However, If you used a wipe tool like CCleaner that filled the SSD with random data until it was full, and then deleted it, wouldn't the SSD still effecitvley be sanitized? Although the SSD was moving around data and not deleting it, it was still asked to fill itself up to the brim with new data, and therefore it would be absolutely forced to eradicate all the old data?
Doesnt that work? Would the old/sensitive data be adequately overwritten?

It consistently scores in the top 5 on lab driven detection and removal tests.
Its pretty damn good for a free AV.

Recommend me a crazy window manager, please. Stuff like rotating windows, 3d effects, windows that shake and flex like jello, whatever.

The link mentioned doing that twice in a row will usually work but not always. One problem would be that SSDs often have more space than is accessible to the end user, to help prevent slowdown and unnecessary aging on full drives rest of the drive is being overwritten.

Any recommended Chromebooks? For uni. I'll basically just be watching Netflix and writing papers on it.

>That file detection tho

Not that I support the idea but why isn't everything turning into apps on PCs? They'd have more revenue from forced ads, what's preventing them?

Splitting revenue with microsoft. Also windows store isnt on 7

okay, i need to know for this, will a Corsair 430CX be enough for this build? pcpartpicker.com/list/7c3y4C
its estimated 366W rn but im nervous of cutting it close

The entire userbase is against it?

is it normal for a GPU to make high pitched whining noises?
it changes when different stuff is on the screen, doesnt really happen unless its really under load

The entire userbase who cared was against windows 10. I'm pretty sure 90% of users wouldn't care. It's just that using websites instead of apps is not really good for business and I have no idea why they keep doing it.

How to setup i2p to run on the socks proxy that tor creates?

youtube.com/watch?v=HP73edpQwgc

On bash on Ubuntu on Windows is there a way of setting the software sources similar to how you can do it in software sources in mint?

I think you're very confused

google.com

Bought an amd 380, surprised to see its a 4pin gpu and my psu dont have that

Can i use a 6pin on it ?

Got a bit of a problem folks.

I've got a Note 3 tmo, latest CM12.1 nightly, works fine by itself. When I go to get the appropriate GAPPS from opengapps (ARM, 5.1, nano) and flash, upon reboot, I keep getting a notice that says, "Unfortunately, Android keyboard (AOSP) has stopped." This persists even with a factory reset + system wipe. Any idea what's wrong?

where's the updated mouse guide

Trying to figure out what CPU I should choose when I'll be upgrading/building my next computer.

The Ref CPU I'm using is what my friend bought for his own Computer (4460). My own CPU is an old i5 750 from aeons ago, that I could overclock if I wanted but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. I'm thinking about keeping my current PSU and possibly Ram (if I stay in the 4th generation i5). The 4590 seems like a strong contender. Suggestions?

Is there a chance I can go to jail for torrenting? I live in America.

Make sure you're flashing the gapps at the same time

Not unless you're torrenting something hella illegal

current psu is probably incompatible with haswell+ processors and the c6/c7 states

I only torrent anime.

How long after applying thermal paste before i can use my pc?

I'm using a 240gb SSD as an OS for Windows 7 on my computer. A few days ago I only filled up 40gb, but now I'm at 60gb used. I ran CCleaner but it only cleared 2gb of space.

Does this usually happen? I also recently fixed the environment variables (for TEMP and TMP variables) that fixed some issues on my computer, but would that really take an additional 20gb of space?

When you open a webm on here does your browser or computer make/retain any record of that, like a temp file or something?

I've been looking at some nsfw stuff on /gif/ at my workstation and I wouldn't be surprised if they sweep those things periodically

Why is Firefox slow on my arch install? What other browser could I or should I use?

Is there a "best' mp3 metadata editor?
I've never messed with meta before and want to try.

how do i kill this? tried malwarebytes, tdsskiller, microsoft malware scan,blocking the IP in firewall, avg etc

delet system 32

After a quick google search, it would appear that my PSU is fully compatible (HX1000W, corsair)
It's 80+ but not silver, gold, or what have you.
With that said, would it be a good idea to keep it going forward (knowing it's probably compatible with Skylake as well) or change it? And if I have the choice between Haswel and skylake, at somewhat similar prices, should I go with Skylake (6600) or Haswel (4690) or even go for a cheaper alternative (4590)?

Probably updates. Try running disk cleanup with system files. Also you can hard disable hybernation and save a few, plus page file if you're sure you'll never run out of ram

Weird as fuck issue (at least to me). I picked up an X9SAE-V Super micro board, and if I want it to boot I need to pull the battery every time. So if I go into BIOS and it reboots, nothing will happen and I need to pull the battery which leaves me unable to change anything in the BIOS.

Thanks, moved everything to KeyPassX.

I thought memtest was supposed to tell you which slot was throwing errors? what the fuck is this mess

You sir are correct

It says it will only cleanup 4.00mb worth of stuff.

Didn't change a thing. Also tried installing a previous nightly, but that didn't change things either.

Did you use the system files button?

So to confirm, you're wiping everything your recovery will let you wipe, then flashing CM, then flashing gapps, then rebooting?

bls respond

I'm wiping everything in TWRP except for my internal storage and SD card, then flashing CM, then flashing GAPPS, then rebooting.

Yup, it's still at 4.70mb.

Different phone but same situation. Back on my S4 this was happening with every opengapps one I tried. I eventually randomly tried a dirty unicorn gapps apk and it ended up working, so you might want to look for ones packaged with other roms or something.

I'd flash internal too, just to be on the safe side

didnt work

Then CC probably got everything already. The os does expand a lot on the initial round of updates. You can disable system restore, pagefile and hybernation to reclaim some space, also disabling things like IE. You can use a program like windirstat to help track down any specific files that you might not have noticed. But if you're trying to slim your win it really needs to happen before you install.

No change ;_;

The atx power spec hasn't really changed since nehalem was released, not much reason to get a new one. 6600k and 4690k will be very similar in price, 6600k will have about 5% better performance. I wouldn't go for a 4590

What is the best phone monitoring software for android?
Obviously it shouldn't be accessible/visible to the user without doing some weird shit.

Then I'd try clearing the app's data and cache then updating it through the play store

You should probably put the heat sink on first

pihole gravity.sh hangs at getting adblock.gjtech.net list...

is there a command i can use when executing gravity.sh that will tell me what exactly is going on, or a particular log i should be looking at.

this thing has so far dodged malwarebytes premium, windows malware scan, avg, mwb rootkit remover, blocking it in firewall, redirecting it to nothing in hosts and tdsskiller.

anyone can help me here?

nevermind it just takes really long

System restore

What are the realistic sytem requirements of photoshop? Building a computer for a friend, will mainly be using it for photoshop, music editing and storage and light/retro gaming. No video editing projects.

The official site lists the requirements as a Core 2 Duo or Athlon 64, I don't think it's possible to buy a desktop processor new that isn't up to that level.

just reinstall windows. don't trust a compromised system.

The 6600k and 4690k are both $55/$50 more expensive than the 4590. Are they seriously worth the extra buck over the non K versions(and the 4590)?
Would I be saving a lot of money by keeping my current ram (DDR3 1600 Timing 8-8-8-24 Latency 8 Voltage 1.65V) that I spent a small fortune on 6 years ago, or is modern ram good enough nowadays (both DDR3 and DDR4)?

have you tried booting in safe mode before installing even more shit?

while you're there format and install gentoo

how does one begin to learn how to use known exploits for android?
inb4 if you have to ask you will never know.

where would I begin besides learning java, hardware used on phones etc.?
just looking for a push in the right direction.

what would that accomplish?

>edit home videos for a client
>video has no keyframes besides the very first frame
how?

safe mode and system restore would both help you minimize the amount of malware running in your system, and therefore make it easier to uninstall

The point was to ask for opinions on those features you fucking retard.

There's not a big difference if you're not going to overclock. If you go skylake don't use ddr3, as it can potentially damage your processor over time.

I'm not sure if it's more sad that you responded 3 hours later or that I'm still here.

ok i think i will. anywhere online i can upload large amounts of data? i dont have another hdd to store my stuff on for the transfer

dun goofed the encoder settings

I had the same problem just the other day, I tried a bunch of different flash orders and wipes and whatever but nothing fixed it. I ended up just skipping the gapps, turns out I don't really need them anyway and my shit is now way less bloated

pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/internet/14-best-cloud-storage-services-2016-uk-copy-3614269/

it's probably cheaper and more practical to buy an external hard drive, though. next time partition your hdd properly so you have a system partition and a media partition. then you can reinstall without losing any files.

Google Vs Dropbox. Why not make a partition for your files and just wipe windows?

of course.

what kind of file does it create?

how can i be certain that will remove the malware?

is that the default option? how can i tell if i have these partitioned that way?

>is that the default option?
no

>how can i tell if i have these partitioned that way?
if you click on 'computer' or 'this pc' or whatever it is called, you see the C: drive. if there is a D: drive or something, that would be your second partition.

technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/gg309170.aspx

be careful

>how can i be certain that will remove the malware?

It won't magically sanitize your files, but neither will uploading them to the cloud. What you're really worried about is things that are installed to your windows system, and wiping windows will do that.

I'm currently dual booting with Win 7 and Ubuntu, but I want to switch to Arch on the Ubuntu portion. I installed it on a different computer without any trouble, but looking at the hard drive partitions I already have on this computer I have no fucking clue how I should go about installing it without fucking up Windows

It's really not that big of a deal if I lose Windows since I rarely use it, but I'd prefer to keep it

pic is how fdisk lists the partitions

forgot the image

So everybody here is kind of suggesting the same thing, only with a before and after difference. What you can do is delete as much crap from your system as possible, then go into disk management and shrink your C drive as much as it will let you (but leave some space for windows to grow), then use the empty space to make a new NTFS partition, and you can drop all your files onto that, and move your desktop and my documents location to it. Then every time you wipe windows that partition will still be there.

How do I go on about to change the color of the character under my cursor to be black in vim?

What property should I change? Cursor didn't really do much. Or do I have to do this from the terminal preferences?

I want to make a news website, do you guys think wordpress is adequate? I mean a professional-looking site, not a personal blog.