Wait for Cannonlake 2017 or settle for Kaby Lake Q3 2015?

Wait for Cannonlake 2017 or settle for Kaby Lake Q3 2015?

Other urls found in this thread:

indico.cern.ch/event/327306/contributions/760669/attachments/635800/875267/HaswellConundrum.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaby_Lake
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Anything beyond Skylake is pointless

kys

wait until the price drops

>Kaby Lake Q3 2015

I think you meant 2016, right?

Tigerlake 2018

I'm considering a new build next year but i haven't really payed attention since devils canyon.

Can some one bring me up to speed in terms of what we can expect to be released in the next year or so?

google is your friend

niggerlake 2018

ZEN

What is this autism

wait for coffee lake in 2018 if you aren't buying enthusiast

quad core being the limit of the mainstream is a horrible meme, it should have died with ivy bridge. Fucking greedy cunts. Grab a 2500/2600 k or if you absolutely positively need ddr4 memory, go for skylake. It's not worth spending more for 1% more ipc shits when you're just throwing money away for performance you won't see. If you don't care about spending more, just go haswell-e/broadwell-e and actually get something out of that cash.

just my opinion as a 4790 owning cuck

I'm on an i5 760, so I need the upgrade pretty badly.

Besides, wouldn't kaby lake cost the same as the current skylake CPUs once it comes out?

like i said id get a 2500k and sit on it til 2018 since you'll be able to use the same memory too but its up to you. with a decent overclock it even craps on higher end locked skylake processors like the 6700... and you save money on the motherboard/ram that you can put towards a 6-core coffee lake system in 2018 (even though it's going to be on the mainstream socket i'd bet boners to biscuits it's going to be a cut above what, say, the 6700k costs now)

Is this for gaymen or are you actually doing something important?

Kaby Lake or Summit Ridge, depending on whether you need more AVX and single-thread performance or more cores - and of course depending on how the final versions actually perform.

Don't count on 10nm Cannonlake being on time even now.

But if it worth waiting for either? We should still be seeing AVX 512 on both of these and single threaded performance is going to be inconsequentially different just like it was for the last 6 generations...

is there any reason to buy amd cpu nowadays?

>nowadays
No

Maybe fx83-something, but it's obly sellibg point is price

Cannonlake coming in 2017 will be mobile, akin to the launch of Broadwell CoreM parts.
Intel's next desktop platform after Kaby Lake is allegedly yet another 14nm line called Coffee Lake.

Intel isn't supporting AVX3.1 aka AVX-512 on their mainstream processors, only Xeons.
AMD's Zen core sure as fuck isn't going to support it with two 128bit FMACs in the FPU either.

Reduced performance, more DRM, less flexibility, more power efficiency, the same fucking amount of cores we've had since 2007

Kaby, never fall for first gen.

Kaby Lake architecture will be intel's 3rd line of 14nm parts.

but it's tok of Skylake

iGPU is much better on Skylake too if it matters.

Other than that this is pretty on point

I just bought a 6700k, did I goof?

I just bought a 3930k for $150. Purttee neet.

Why are i7 2600Ks still pricey?

Because of luddites

wait for memelake boogaloo edition 2020 while you're at it. use your brain.

Hello, you seem to have mistaken this board for the consumer advice board. Unfortunately, Sup Forums is actually about technology rather than purchase advice. Luckily, the folks over at are more than willing to help!

no you're fine...

I fell for the 6600k meme instead going for the 6500 or the 6700k...

Protip: Wait as long as you can. And then buy old components off your friend.

you run 6600k fps? what cpu do you have?

reported

>Need more AVX
Is this some kind of joke?

>implying having fun is not important
>implying "working" has any kind of importance
>inb4 I use GNU + linux - systemd and don't play

AVX performance and in particular AVX-512 are entirely inconsequential for real world performance in everything except entirely specialized heavy AVX workloads. Even fucking CERN released research papers stating this because they got meme'd into thinking AVX was actually useful.

indico.cern.ch/event/327306/contributions/760669/attachments/635800/875267/HaswellConundrum.pdf

If you understood how Intel handles AVX, you'd know why implementing AVX instructions is a terrible idea. Protip, it actually slows the entire processor down. Don't fall for the meme guys.

Asking because it would entirely change whether waiting would make any sense. If you're doing actual work Zen is looking more attractive at this point than Intel's upcoming offerings for workstation use.

How much longer you guys think my 3770 will last me? Already been running it 3 years.

Skylake

Everything after Sandy Bridge has been a joke

3770? Or 3770k?

At the moment, a modestly oc'd 3770k can still outperform skylake in some tasks, You should only really consider upgrading if you were going to a 6-core processor or needed more RAM than your current motherboard can support.

I currently have an i7 4790. Will I see significant performance gains if I upgrade to an Kaby lake i7?

The people who say wait till the next cpu release are the ones who are still rocking a 2500k because "it is good enough" Just buy a fucking 6700k.

Depends on your definition of significant, but generally no.

Skylake is at least 20% faster though. Say what you want, but that kind of increase is a big deal unless all you do is gayme.

Ill get SKL-X ...there is no other upgrade path I dont want to spend money on a new build thats only 5% faster so gotta go socket 2066

By the time Skylake-E comes out, depending on what you plan to do, Ivy Bridge Xeons will be laughably cheap and offer better multi-threaded performance.

3770. I honestly just game, so I figure I can still stretch it out for a while.

If you look at the performance gains it's still pretty sad. Unless you want over 90fps constantly, the GPU will continue to be your main bottleneck.

dont need that, have access to free servers in datacenters for those needs.
It certainly is the best bang for the buck but the problems that come with it...heat, noise, expensive / hard to get cheap older desktop mobos that support it if you dont want to run a cheap serverboard home...Would like to have an ECC though just for the placebo.

I just do 1080p gaming, not looking to go over 60 fps in most future games I'd plan to play. Feel like it's pointless. I did also just pick up a 480 so I can play bf1 when it comes out, cause I'm still using a 7950.

Then what's the point in waiting for Skylake-E? Don't you just need single threaded performance?

I want an 8 core with highend desktop single core perf. Also having newest instruction sets / HW support for new tech is something I want and would miss in older xeons. Like Optane drives best full support, DDR4 meme etc

damn, what's wrong with my 6600k?

Optane is very very far away for consumer, despite what Intel has mentioned. I'm very confident full support for it won't exist outside of Xeon chips because it's quite a complicated matter to support for both the CPU and motherboard/chipset if you're thinking about the RAM bank version. For everything outside of hitting a massive database nonstop or machine/deep learning, the performance difference from a regular NVMe SSD for throughput won't justify the cost. May be better off with just more RAM, honestly. If you're a bit impatient, Broadwell-E will already have performance very close to Skylake-E too.

>AMD's Zen core sure as fuck isn't going to support it with two 128bit FMACs in the FPU either.

not sure where you got this but Zen is going to be expanding to 256bit FMAC's

AVX is pointless in nearly all situations. See Normal SIMD/SSE actually is faster for real world applications.

This, AMD zen is just over the horizon, wait a little longer for
>40% better instructions per clock
>amada waifu

feels good man

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaby_Lake

>Compatibility
>On January 15, 2016, Microsoft announced that Windows 10 would be the only supported Windows platform for Kaby Lake processors.

Guys, is there no upgrade path of Intel anymore?

Is ZEN the only choice for us who doesnt want Windows 10?

>Cannonlake 2017
OP, unless you're looking for a tablet, I have some bad news for you...

Buy a used xeon now

If you look at the source, they said that there will be devices that will have kaby Lake and still have 7 or 8.1 but it will probably be a slim list. Let's just hope the custom pcs aren't screwed.

Cannonlake. Mostly because after the zen launch in early 2017 intel can't jew as much as now.

thats what you think.

Just buy a current gen i5 or i7 and you'll be set for the next 5-ish years.

>but Zen is going to be expanding to 256bit FMAC's
Zen only has 2 128bit FMACs. Linux kernel patch showed this a long fucking time ago.

Tech illiterate dipshit kids really need to refrain from posting here.