What's Sup Forums's SSD of choice?

What's Sup Forums's SSD of choice?

Other urls found in this thread:

trisquel.info/en/forum/spying-software-hidden-deep-within-hard-drives-made-western-digital-seagate-toshiba-and-other-
reuters.com/article/us-usa-cyberspying-idUSKBN0LK1QV20150216
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Crucial MX200. Best combination of stability and usefulness.

I've actually had problems with Samsung's SSDs in the past. The 850 supposedly has a garbage collection bug.

For me I bought the SP550 240gb for $60. Enjoying the fast speed so far.

First one I got was a kingston 120GB.
I upgraded my laptop with a Samsung 850 Evo and am far happier with it compared.

These are shit cheap and fast. Good purchase. One of the best low cost drives out

So these really are good for their price?

if you're retarded, yes

500GB Samshit 850 EVO

oh

250gb EVO for system and 500gb EVO for gaymes

I use Intel 730 series because they are data center stable, yet very fast and they have a fucking skull on them.

just got one of these

So I bought a used intel 530 SSD for around 50 bucks as an upgrade to my dankpad.
What steps should I be taking when installing Linux (Arch) on this thing?
I already know to:
>use swapfile instead of a partition and reduce the swapiness to 1
>adding noatime to the fstab
>disable caching in the browser
>use ext4 as a filesystem (I already do that anyway)
What else should I be doing?
Also what would be the best way to wipe any potential botnet from this thing? Is using dd to zero out the drive enough?

>is using DD to zero the drive enough
First off, you clearly don't even understand how SSD's work. You literally CANNOT wipe data off of them by virtue of design alone. And secondly, NO it would not be.

trisquel.info/en/forum/spying-software-hidden-deep-within-hard-drives-made-western-digital-seagate-toshiba-and-other-

reuters.com/article/us-usa-cyberspying-idUSKBN0LK1QV20150216

thanks for the good image of the bag full of piss tho

Key word is for the price.
Id say it is a win over a standard HDD any day

B-but that's not what the arch wiki says
Anyway aside from wiping, what else should I be doing?

>2016
>Not having 900,000 IOPS
Stay mad poorfags.

>wants security
>installs proprietary software

You do know that proprietary software means nobody can look at the code, so nobody knows what its doing on their machine right? Stop using proprietary software if you are worried about security, retard.

Intel 750 PCI-Express 400GB reporting in.

>He fell for the 750 meme.

I don't understand what you're bitching about
What part of the Arch base or linux kernel is proprietary?

>stawman
do you use proprietary software yes or no? are you using proprietary javascript to reply to me right now?

You're fucking joking right?
Look all I'm asking is what extra steps I need to take to install Arch on an SSD compared to an HDD, since I've never done it before.
If you can help with that then great, otherwise fuck off.

>using cucked ssd's that are gimped to conform to a standard designed for HDD's (Sata)

the 750 is outrageously expensive, but also outrageously fast.

you asked specifically about security. i gave you links, and instead of read them you replied "hurr bu but thats not what the arch wili says. feed me and explain why so i don't have to read"

then i told you that if you were really worried about security, you woudn't use proprietary software. you're a fucking idiot, you've proved that, stay on arch linux you cancerous faggot. its where you belong.

No I asked about wiping the drive when it comes in.
Did you have a rough day or something user?

>Also what would be the best way to wipe any potential botnet from this thing? Is using dd to zero out the drive enough?

>Also what would be the best way to wipe any potential botnet from this thing? Is using dd to zero out the drive enough?

you asked about security. kill yourself

Yeah, more expensive than a Samsung 950 while being slower too. Good job paying more for less.

what a faggot

>buying a 950
>no rapid mode so it's comparable to a kingston in snappiness

nice meme

Depends on how much you want to spend. If you watched enough Linus Shill Tips you already know the answer to the question. 850 Pro < Intel PCI-E SSD < NVMe

>100 USD more
>300 MBps slower read
>600 MBps slower write
>112 GB less storage

B-b-but muh 20 µs minimum latency!
Stay cucked.

I went for this one after my crucial died after ~5 years. Let's hope 3D NAND isn't a meme and those two extra years warranty reflect the supposed higher realiability.

>Implying I paid retail price for muh 750.

850 evo is plenty for me
>saturates sata for reads
>saturates sata for 99% of writes
>great price to GB
>good response time for what it is
honestly I don't really need anything faster, as long as my random read writes for every day tasks are fast, and I can throw my laptop around with it on and it will be just fine then I'm happy.

>Let's hope 3D NAND isn't a meme and those two extra years warranty reflect

you don't have to hope. Samsung is a huge corporation, they've done their research and tests and concluded without a shadow of a doubt that they could afford to throw that extra warranty time in there. Otherwise they wouldn't have.

I want to buy a 1 TB SSD
Which one should I buy ? Any advice ?

I currently have a crucial 120gb
And I'm waiting for a price drop to upgrade to a 2tb Samsung

Intel and crucial. M4 from 2012 still going strong

Intel = sandisk > kingdian > samsung

>kingdian > samsung

For me was a best deal

anything > samshit

i would throw in ocz before kingdian now because toshiba own them

oh you were serious

i hope nobody is actually stupid enough to buy samshit diefast(tm) technology

they're about as unreliable as sandforce ssds

Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512 GB
in my AMD-based desktop
and one in my ThinkPad

i hope all your file transfers are under 5 seconds so you can 'experience' those high speeds that drop off completely after 5 seconds

>t. my sweaty asscrack

samsung and all of their products are quality.

>that extreme post purchase rationalization
oh you poor thing

That's why you buy the Pro model, not the Evo.

PNY 1311, based on count. I have 6 in a server as cache for tiered storage.

And generally, while not the best (Samsung / Intel) they're good enough.

they're both garbage. everybody knows samsung's ssds are unreliable, nobody would dare use them in an enterprise environment.

IOPS matters more than sequential speed for 90% of tasks.

Intel 750 - 4K R - 480,000 / 4K W - 280,000
Samsung 951 - 4K R - 300,000 / 4K W - 100,000

When I rebuild my servers, I'll likely be throwing 4 800GB 750's in each.

>1 TB SSD

Why? Evo 850s seem to be a good investment so far, but mine is only 500gb. The price is pretty much linear.

>data center stable
Is this a meme or is this true? I haven't heard much about the intel ssds

They see me rollin

Samsung or Intel.

B&

c3

It's only a partial meme. They are better than other consumer drives, but Samsung Pro series no longer use a floating gate and opts for charge traps so there is less wear on the tunnel oxide, resulting in a better lifespan for the drive.

>MX200
lol

I'm using an 850 atm. 4xPCIe m.2 are a meme for my needs. Will probably upgrade to a 1TB 850 Pro two years down the road and forget about SSDs forever.

Currently have 2x2TB WD Black and 2x1TB of random Seagates.

Are they reliable? I know they're cheap and fast, but wouldn't want all my data lost.

512GB MX100 here
love that its MLC and no slow downs on write like with shitier samsung evo TLCs drives

No they are obviously not as reliable.

I have an Intel 535 series.
Not really excellent, I expected better performance but 100 dollars for 500 GB is decent

Any reason you choose 800GB instead of 1.2TB?

>getting anything worse than 3D NAND in 2016

Do you ride to church with your donkey cart too?

If you run out of storage, you can't play golf on the weekends so you better be ready. You're lining up the swing and boss calls you, now you're in the office instead of on the field. No more storage, no more golf IT guy.

>getting 3d TLC
selling shit to morons works

dd if=/dev/zero is the best way to kill the SSD performance. Go read how SSDs works and what are the best practices.

Answering your post:
To avoid a decrease in the SSD performance, you have to enable TRIM. Don't enable it in fstab, just run the commans fstrim once a week.

>best way to wipe any potential botnet
>using dd
If it there is a malware in those things, sure it isn't in the storage. It would be in the firmware, where you can't detect it.

>is a scrub

start writing 20GB of data on your ssd ;)
enjoy your HDD levels speed once MLC buffer fills up

>do this thing you never do because you're not a retard who constantly writes large files on his SSD but uses it for what it's supposed to be used for
>see? eventually you'll be just as slow as I always am

wow thanks for enlightening me I'm selling my ssd this instant and getting the slowest HDD I can find.

>supposed
[citation needed]

>buy 1 TB SSD
>only use it for OS
Wow, what a retard.

any writes will behave like that
not just one large file
even 1000 small files if they overflow MLC/SLC cache

and yes writing data to ssd is a thing
people actually do that

sure its less impact than if reads were terrible or IOPS, but you got inferior SSD

Rubbish. How often do you write 20GB of files to your SSD in one go? Never? Almost never? Twice? Thought so.

Depends on how small they are. Regardless, not happening realistically, or at least in very rare scenarios that are ultimately inconsequential.

what ssd you have?

Maybe some people use their computer for more than facebook and reddit, like yourself

>manufacturers are too afraid to give out 5 year warranties because they know old ass shit SSD tech fails after three years
>Samsung is confident that their new better tech is so reliable that longer warranties won't ruin them

>DUDE U GOT A SHIT SSD

Holy shit the old busted tech shills are out in full force today, gotta empty those dusty storerooms, eh?

OP pic related

>realize speeds are shit
>shift topic to warranty
ok

>implying that every brand has its own factory

2 Samsung SM951s in RAID0 for my laptop

>whines about non-issues
>ignores actual issues

No, it's just clear that they're selling the equivalent/clone of a first gen SSD, one that doesn't include all of the features that increased reliability for later drives.

so issue is that SSDs are dying and warranty is shit?

and its not like samsung does nto give even higher varranty on their MLC drives

The actual issue is the difference in reliability and voltage requirements between a charge trap based NAND and floating gate. Floating gate is provably less reliable and has to operate at a higher voltage that results in greater wear on the drive. You might have bought a drive that was better for your specific use case of writing 20GB files nonstop and immediately deleting them, but it's still worse for most situations, has less storage, is less reliable, and you paid more for it.

sorry no, that is all nonsense
compare with pro samsung drives that are MLC

In a charge trapping flash electrons are stored in a trapping layer just as they are stored in the floating gate in a standard flash memory, EEPROM, or EPROM. The key difference is that the charge trapping layer is an insulator, while the floating gate is a conductor.

High write loads in a flash memory cause stress on the tunnel oxide layer creating small disruptions in the crystal lattice called “oxide defects.” If a large number of such disruptions are created a short circuit develops between the floating gate and the transistor’s channel and the floating gate can no longer hold a charge. This is the root cause of flash wear-out, which is specified as the chip’s “endurance.” In order to reduce the occurrence of such short circuits, floating gate flash is manufactured using a thick tunnel oxide (~100Å), but this slows erase when Fowler-Nordheim tunneling is used and forces the design to use a higher tunneling voltage, which puts new burdens on other parts of the chip.

A charge trapping cell is relatively immune to such difficulties, since the charge trapping layer is an insulator. A short circuit created by an oxide defect between the charge trapping layer and the channel will drain off only the electrons in immediate contact with the short, leaving the other electrons in place to continue to control the threshold voltage of the transistor. Since short circuits are less of a concern, a thinner tunnel oxide layer can be used (50-70Å) increasing the trapping layer’s coupling to the channel and leading to a faster program speed (with localized trapped charges) and erasing with lower tunneling voltages. The lower tunneling voltages, in turn, place less stress on the tunnel oxide layer, leading to fewer lattice disruptions.

Okay pal.

I am not reading your copy paste nonsense that you picked from a wrong article ;)

sorry you feel triggered that you own inferior type nand

>I won't let facts get in the way of my opinions, the post.

what facts?
what exactly are you trying to prove?
that TLC is not inferior?
because thats what we are here saying
TLC is inferior

we get it, you're stupid, no need to waste your time anymore

Are you a redneck?

Information that are longer than 4 sentences must be lies right?

I am sorry, but MLC > TLC and theres no way around it

but hey, take it as you are ahead of the curve, soon we all will be forced to go for it because of the price and no availability of MLC