Name Your Top 3 Favorite Programming Languages

Sup Forums - what are your top 3 favorite programming languages and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/4222
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_110
mathworld.wolfram.com/CyclicTagSystem.html
stackoverflow.com/questions/145176/is-html-considered-a-programming-language
inventwithpython.com/blog/2013/12/15/why-is-html-not-a-programming-language/
programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/28098/why-does-it-matter-that-html-and-css-are-not-programming-languages
infospace.ischool.syr.edu/2012/04/05/why-html-is-not-a-programming-language/
quora.com/Is-CSS-or-HTML-a-programming-language
youtube.com/watch?v=JBjjnqG0BP8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Javascript
Typescript
Dart
They are the future. All the old boomers who use C will die off soon, and Java is flooded with Pajeets.

C++
Python
Java

Can do just about anything and can get just about any job.

Perl
C/C++
Python

C++
Python
>C++
>Python
>Java

This.

Lisp
C
Uhh, scheme?

What are you even..

C/C++
Java
C#

No reason to ever go outside the C-style languages

a /dpt/ fizzbuzz developer

C
Scheme
XHTML isn't a programming language but is included anyways.
sh (like ksh)

HTML
JSON
Go

FORTRAN
LISP
COBOL

Python - comfy and tidy as fuck
PHP - has its moments of "holy shit this pile of crap i wrote actually somehow works"
Javascript - language of the future, etc, so i'm forcing myself to like it

unless you're a web dev Pajeet like me. then again, you can stick to C# and Javascript and still be a Pajeet.

C#
VB
F#

oh, PHP is apparently considered "C-style" too

>html
>programming language

ahaha

CiCode
IEC 61131-3
BASIC

times new roman

fasm
ada
fortran

ok grandpa

>Java
>Java
>Javascript
it just werks
Not to mention the fact that in most cases you can decompile class files and change the code any way you want to - RMS would be proud of such a fine language.

>HTML
>Programming Language

C++
Python
1x wildcard

C++
Tcl
Python

HTML5 with CSS is Turing complete

PHP
Lua
java script

They are still not programming languages. You can't make HTML or CSS calculate 1 + 1 unless if you add Javascript or another programming language.

>inb4 1 + 1 = 2 faggot

Python
C
C#

>You can't make HTML or CSS calculate 1 + 1 unless if you add Javascript or another programming language.
Wrong. HTML5 and CSS3 are actually Turing complete.
You can implement a Rule 110 automaton with a cyclic tag system in them.

lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/4222
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_110
mathworld.wolfram.com/CyclicTagSystem.html

csharp ==> backend and serious development
typescript ==> frontend development
autoit ==> daily scripting development

Swift,Node/JS, or Bash for when I kode with kloss

Purescript - when web required
Scala - when JVM required
F# - when .NET required
C++14/Rust - anything else

Pretty much this i'd add Go for backend web stuff

>you can decompile class files and change the code any way you want to
>what is bytecode obfuscation
anyone with half a brain is gonna deny you this chance

>I don't understand how computers work

HTML
CSS
SQL

cry me a river, butthurt incoming

Haskell
Matlab
Python (pronounced Py-fawn)

gay

Fucking nerd, he's only trolling

JS, C# and Rust.

I actually really like JavaScript, even though I know how bad it really is.
C# is basically the most feature complete language one can actually use at a job.
Rust is even better at features, but the compiler isn't so great when it comes to performance but their release model is awful, and the module system isn't great either.

should i learn python or ruby? which is more useful?

html isn't a programming language; it's a markup language. i mean i don't expect you to appreciate the difference, but i don't expect a child to appreciate the distinction when i correct them if they accidentally conflate a motorcycle and a bicycle.

Haskell, JavaScript, Scheme maybe

JavaScript
Objective C
Lisp

Most effective, productive, tidy and first 2 are really popular. I mostly use JavaScript, Objective C is only for Desktop applications (macfag). Console and server applications are in JS too thanks to node.js.

markup is programming the browser to display something
it is programming

"programming" has a relatively carefully defined meaning in the CS world. it isn't a stand in for anything involving telling a computer (or browser) what to do.

it's not programming. if you can find any authoritative source describing HTML as a programming language, i can probably find you 5 more that decisively dismiss that claim.

i understand that for your joke to succeed you needed to say your favorite programming language was HTML, and then some of us would get all upset and stomp around. i'm sorry for not stomping around. i'm only (barely) invested enough to point out that you don't seem to understand what the criteria for "programming language" is.

I didn't post that.
So, let's see the CS meaning Wikipedia defines:
Computer programming (often shortened to programming) is a process that leads from an original formulation of a computing problem to executable computer programs.

A computer program is a collection of instructions that performs a specific task when executed by a computer. A computer requires programs to function, and typically executes the program's instructions in a central processing unit.

An HTML file is a collection of instructions and has a task: display its markup.

inb4 wikipedia is not credible - read the sources fgt

C++17
C++14
C++11

I wouldn't say favourite, but ones I use most and find useful:

Java
Ruby (with rails)
Bash

Strictly speaking Bash is scripting but fuck it, it's important.

HTML isn't some new thing. you can look for authoritative sources giving their input on whether it's a programming language. you can even see their rationale:
stackoverflow.com/questions/145176/is-html-considered-a-programming-language
inventwithpython.com/blog/2013/12/15/why-is-html-not-a-programming-language/
programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/28098/why-does-it-matter-that-html-and-css-are-not-programming-languages
infospace.ischool.syr.edu/2012/04/05/why-html-is-not-a-programming-language/
quora.com/Is-CSS-or-HTML-a-programming-language

is there some logic in all of these answers that doesn't make sense to you that you couldn't resolve by taking a few introductory CS courses?

Python
C++

HTML is a Markup language. It does not create programs, it creates a viewable document. If you lookup Programming Languages on Wikipedia it says "A programming language is a formal computer language or constructed language designed to communicate instructions to a machine, particularly a computer. Programming languages can be used to create programs to control the behavior of a machine or to express algorithms." But, HTML does not communicate instructions or control behaviors of machines. You need another program to read the HTML and figure out what should be displayed on the screen, and then to finally display it.

I think the only reason people are inclined to say HTML is programming is because it feels like programming. You are typing specific things that have meaning that the common person that does not understand HTML can not read. But that does not make it a programming language, and it not being a programming language does not make it any less important.

Probably python, it's more widespread, less niche.

C
Go
C#

1. Swift
2. Gomez
3. Grande
3. Justice

C++
C
Java

C/C++
Python
JavaScript (maybe...)

Go
Javascript
PHP

>Javascript - language of the future
Yep, the future with 10000GB of RAM but js bloatware still lags as shit.

WL - because its extremely fun
C - because its extremely powerful (and comfy :))
D - because its extremely convenient

>should i learn python or ruby?

Both are god-tier languages.
I prefer Ruby, but I think Python is also damn neat.

>Reason for existance
Python was designed as replacement for Bash. Ruby as a combination of the best features of serveral langauges (SmallTalk, Lisp, Perl, Python and JS).

>Syntax
Ruby has much more Syntax, since it's follows Perl's idea of "there is more than one way to do it".
It is however not that much Syntax.

Python is more minimalisitc, it follows the ides of "There's one and only one right way".

>Usage

Ruby is amazing for the Web, since it has a million differnt quality frameworks. Ruby is also pretty cool for scripting, proccessing Text and such things. It's not that good for GUIs though and has little application in the science world.

Python is widespread among the academic field, it's used for a lot of scientific stuff and has many libraries. It's also usable for the Web, but not as common as Ruby there.

In no particular order:

Javascript
Needed for the client, can build backend it too.

Python
Need to be able to work with academics use python a lot.

Bash
When you just need something done.

surprised that no unemployed edgelord cited ASSEMBLY as their favorite programming language yet

Python
C++
Lua

Ruby (fell in love with it while reimplementing antediluvian bash scripts for the company)
C (a classic, 1st lang I learned, etc)
Scala (so much better than Java, have to target the JVM at work for multiplat and this is literally the best solution)

Perl
C or C++, depends
Python
As a sysadmin, shell script.

>shell script.
>doesn't specify the shell
poser

why are you shouting?

C
C
C

Javashit
Snake
and sepples

But why

>programming

LOL IT'S CALLED KODING YOU DUMMY

Actual developer here, D is the best language you aren't using. And yeah, I know that's blowing your minds because you probably aren't even aware it exists. But it's better than your Go, it's better than your Javascript, it's better than your Rust and Rails and you damn well better believe it's better than your C#. And C++ is the number one family whose balls D is grinding its heel into. D is the strongest, purest shit out there today without any of the obnoxious irrelevant bullshit plaguing the nulanguages, and you better get on board soon.

C
C#
F#

Python
Perl
I would love to learn C or C++. I just can't choose which to focus on first:
>C pros

Very portable and compact

>C++ pros
OO

Python
C
Scala

Its sad that Javascript is so popular and taking over the programming world, a look at the job market and everything is webdev, no one is makes regular programs anymore. Makes me butthurt. :(

What the fuck is a "regular" program?

no its not.
Code refers to something cryptic.
These days programming is almost plain english.

Sandalone, not all "web and app" extensive, just a program that you download, install, and run. Simple.

Html is a markup language. It's even in the name. How dumb are you?

Ruby is a nicer language and is better for web development, but Python has much better libraries for scientific computing.

>having to install a program
>running random binaries in an unsandboxed environment
No thanks.

javascript
php
python
bash

>Python is more minimalisitc

That hasn't been the case for a long time. Python has added a ton of features over the years that could be implemented as libraries in better languages like Scala, Lisp, Ruby etc.

Learn C, man. Even Stroustrup agrees that C++ is bad (in the sense that there's shit-tons of undefined behaviour that stays in due to 'muh backwards compatibility').

It isn't PHP-tier, but it's up there.

python
Scala
C

only oldfags will understand

Ruby
Erlang
C but will probably start using Rust
Scala if I have to use the JVM but I generally try to avoid it.

C#
Python
Racket

pls grandpa, stroustrup says that everything c can do c++ can do it better.

Learn sepples senpai, its much more used nowadays.

C is the only actual programming language I know. And it's suitable and enough for whatever I do which is mainly embedded programming. When I need to do something else I just pick up a single tutorial and learn as little as possible to do what I want if I have to do it in another language.

If you consider hardware description languages programming I can complete the list of three:
verilog: Because VHDL is an unnecessary complication when there is cleaner syntax with verilog.

verilogA: For fast modelling of weird behavior without causing any issues with simulator.

Nigga pls
youtube.com/watch?v=JBjjnqG0BP8
D is the best version of object-oriented C

JavaScript
Java
C#

Common Lisp
Python
JavaScript

Scheme
Haskell
Prolog