Mfw I realise my dna is closed source

>mfw I realise my dna is closed source
>mfw I realise my brain doesn't run FOSS

>dna is closed source
dna is open source

No OP, that's why God told Terry A. Davis to make an operating system for him. God felt guilty about not making the Universe open source.

But user I don't want other people making changes to me.

>>dna is closed source
>dna is open source
Its entirely binary (well not actually binary but whatever) blob. Very much closed source.

Just because you can't read it, it doesn't mean it's closed source.

>too stupid to understand GIMP source code
guys GIMP is closed source!

>tfw you realize the pizza you eat is proprietary

Biofag here

The courts (USA) have ruled you can only patent synthetic DNA, so technically you are running open source DNA. You just need to sequence it.

Also, saying that DNA is binary is a poor representation of what it actually codes because of the contextual nature of DNA (one strand coding for one thing in one place can code for an entirely different thing if placed in a different location, or at least have lower expression)

No one can make large changes once you're born... Sorta like you can't change source code once compiled (back to the binary thing, there are different reasons for this)

What is not free and open source are the tools that you use to modify DNA. This includes most of the enzymes AND DNA scaffolding in order to put DNA you want to put in into new organisms. Source code is all there, there's just not an open source text editor.

>Also, saying that DNA is binary is a poor representation of what it actually codes because of the contextual nature of DNA (one strand coding for one thing in one place can code for an entirely different thing if placed in a different location
Isn't that a point of similarity between binary and DNA?

It's not in a human readable language. It's running on reality, thus it's machine language. It's closed source and you have to reverse engineer it for it not to be a black box.

Not patentable != open source

Your body is a proprietary biochemical machine built by the proprietary DNA virus to run the proprietary DNA virus. I can't compile another me from source because there is no source. The source is the conditions 4 billion years ago that gave rise to life.

I guess that was a poor example on my part (functionally programs tend to do the same thing in different contexts). What I mean is that binary can be abstracted from. For example, you can compile C code into binary (and yes, it's difficult or impossible to make c code from binary, but originally C and assembly were based off of interacting with binary). With DNA, you *cannot* abstract from until we are able to make EXTREMELY precise folding calculations.

Binary infers that you can't reverse engineer it. If something was gonna be binary, it would be proteins. Those things are essentially impossible to rationally engineer. (Believe me I've tried)

But user, most of the viruses that infect us are RNA not DNA. You can also compile another one of yourself, just go implant a nucleus into an egg. (Yay cloning)

Sorry if analogies are poor, evolved tech (bio) is a lot different than designed tech (computers)

But dna is readable!

To a degree

>What is not free and open source are the tools that you use to modify DNA. This includes most of the enzymes AND DNA scaffolding in order to put DNA you want to put in into new organisms. Source code is all there, there's just not an open source text editor.

CRISPR/Cas9 is open source, what are you talking about?

If you program in machine code then the source is machine code.

By that logic everything is open source.
Your computer can read your x86_64 PE/ELF file just fine.

>You can also compile another one of yourself
That's just running the virus. Making a proprietary virus self-replicate does not make it open source. just like making my proprietary torrent client torrent doesn't make it open source.
DNA is a black box running on proprietary hardware.

Actually, we can almost completely read dna, we've already completely mapped out the genome of many species and changed sucessfully parts of their genome. DNA is open source, look up CRISPER or whatever.

>tfw too stupid to understand Microsoft Word binary ASM