/hpg/ - Headphone General

-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub (embed)

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.
Noise isolation ≠ Noise cancellation
If you dislike a suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, x sucks"

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/inside-the-dac2-part-2-digital-processing
lifehacker.com/does-bluetooth-audio-still-suck-1505063323
twitter.com/AnonBabble

whats better: MDR-V6s or ATH-M50s?

Discomfort and irritation after a short time--I don't like putting things into my ears. Custom IEMs may solve that but I don't feel like spending that much money on it as a test. Plus there is still the niggling problem of pressurization in the canal and small potential for infection.

I've tried many headphones and I'm not confused about the difference between muffling noise and actively canceling it. My opinion is unchanged about the effectiveness of active noise canceling and passive noise muffling. That said, I'm not a fan of the high pitched hiss I constantly hear with NC headphones. I also sometimes just feel more anxiety with it on for some reason, perhaps because all the environmental noise cues I expect are absent.

m40x

Hey Sup Forumsoys.

>Budget
100 - 120€

>Location
Finland

>Source
My mobo - ASUS H93M-E

>Preferred type of headphone
Full-sized

>Open or closed
Doesn't matter.

>Comfort level
Pretty important but you can get used to something which may look "discomfortable" at first.

>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral

>Past headphones

Siberia V2 - Pretty comfy but they sounded pretty bland.

Sennheiser PC 320 - These were good but the headphones themselves felt really cheap, plastic fantastic.

Sony MDR-7506 - These were really good, they sounded good and they were comfy.

If I don't happen to find anything better than the Sony headphones, I'll get them.

>Discomfort and irritation after a short time
Have you tried olive/comply foamies?

>I also sometimes just feel more anxiety with it on for some reason
Do you feel the same anxiety with IEMs?

HD558.

I have tried the Shure Olive tips and they were only slightly better. I don't know if I've tried the comply variety but from images they look similar to tips I've used but I don't know if they were the same type.

So far I have not had any sense of anxiety from IEMs, it seems unique to active noise canceling for me.

>Budget
about 150 dollars, but flexible

>Location
US of A

>Source
ipod calassic

full sized

>Open or closed
i suppose closed are better for noisy places? help me Sup Forums

>Comfort level
dunno, never used full sized

>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral

>Past headphones
all shitty earbuds

im looking to use them in places like the metro or noisy streets btw

best price for value for the lowest expectation under 100 USD/130EUR ?

only wish is not to fall for memes

>tfw when I was typsy and argued last week with a random user saying that my odac sounded slightly better than the e10k

>tfw when I realized after time he was right

I've sold my odac and bought an e10k again. Maybe the odac is better for powering more demanding headphones but both amps sound exactly the same with my hd600 which is my endgame headphone. I'm a retard and you were right user. I apologize.

Shure SRH840, Audio Technica M50x, NVX XPT100

>wireless is frowned upon
But why?

It's not, can we please avoid the shitshow from the previous thread?

I'll do this according to the template:

>Budget
130 UDS equiv
>Location
EU
>Source
various
doesnt matter
>Open or closed
doesnt matter
>Comfort level
doesnt **really** matter, but Ill take the most I can get for the price
>Preferred tonal balance
doesnt matter
>Past headphones
roccat kave 5.1 (feels like a brick on your ears)

???

>it seems unique to active noise canceling for me.
Sounds like you suffer from the sense of "pressure" ANC causes in some people.

We've had this discussion the last two threads. Use the archive if you are seriously inquiring and not trying to pick yet another fight.

Did you not read the op?
It was pretty specific about wireless being frowned upon.
Why?

I'm not him, but I had the M40x and I want to say that they have V-shaped sound. They sound great and natural, but not neutral as a lot of people say.

Is that a thing? I felt crazy because no one else I talked to about it mentioned it. Is there a name for what that effect is?

>Is that a thing?
It was mentioned in the article provided in the previous thread.

Yep, it's just shitposting against wireless using 2012 memes.

Just as I thought...

>245
>US
>Either audio interface or just regular auxillary input
>Full-sized
>Either
>Somewhat comfy
>Probably warm
I had Audiotechnica M50's that recently stopped working via the left side not sending any sound. I'm really not sure what I liked about them as they were really my first steps into audiophilia.

Forgot to add that he said the e10k sounds exactly the same as the o2 amp and that I disagreed. He was right. When powering the hd600 at least.

Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.

Why are these still in the op?
I can understand the others, but shit, at this point you're just intentionally shitting the op up

Yeah, agreed. It's just a shit op.

So you are just trying to pick a fight. Are you the same faggot who got so pissed off that he is wrong that he created a specific wireless thread that went to archive after 30 so posts?

>Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
>Wireless is frowned upon.
>Headset requests are frowned upon.
>Noise isolation ≠ Noise cancellation
>If you dislike a suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, x sucks"
Why is this dogshit still in the OP?

Kill yourself.

>he created a specific wireless thread
Hey, good idea.

The faggot trying to pick a fight proves to the otherwise.

Go do that. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

>includes unnecessary shit in the op that is retarded stupid
>gets told why it's stupid
"LOL THAT'S WHY I'M KEEPING IT IN THE OP BAKA XD"

Kill yourself.

thanks for the k702+e10k combo recommendation guys. shit sounds mint

Daily reminder of how to achieve maximum signal fidelity:
Set your DAC to its highest bit depth, set the sampling frequency to match the majority of your music (usually 44100), set the digital volume to 100% or slightly below, and only control volume from the amplifier. Always set your amplifier to the lowest gain necessary to achieve desired listening volume.

Remember to take care of your hearing, long term exposure to sound levels over 80 dB can cause permanent hearing loss.

Stupid weaboo

You can also just set your music player to use wasapi/asio and not have to fiddle with changing bit depth/sampling rate.

That is ideal, but if you need to listen for anything else like messenger sounds or something, you won't hear them because of the exclusive audio modes

I want a hardware EQ and I found one for $60 on amazon. My question is how the fuck do I set it up??
Is it PC -> DAC/Sound card -> EQ -> Amp?

>wireless is inferior
2012 called, they want their memes back

Why don't you use Equalizer APO instead?

Appreciate it! I mostly listen to paid for spotify however I do listen to downloaded flac songs sometimes. Would I not be better off setting it to 48000 or 96000?

If not, why?

it is tho

I'm not well educated on this topic. I had just assumed HW eq would be better than doing it in AIMP. Also, it looks amazing and I will be more likely to tweak my shit constantly if I have it right there in front of me. I had dragging the fucking bars up and down with the mouse i always fuck up. Also I figured if I got a really powerful amp it'll give me more freedom EQ wise.

Like on my phone I'm really limited on how much I can EQ since the volume just gets too low

In what way?

>sound quality
Like the difference between flac and mp3 320b, it's not noticeable by the average person, and even when it is it's not enough to be a bad experience.

>have to plug it in to charge
Have to plug headphones in to listen to them

>battery runs out fast
Modern Bluetooth headsets are capable of 40 hours continuous use and can be charged up in a couple of hours

Now let's considering a couple of pros of Bluetooth earphones.

Cable length
>at minimum, 10m range from your device

>can use waterproof earphones without worrying about your phone or mp3 device

Stop living in the past, 2012 was 4 years ago and the memes against wireless headphones have expired.

I've only tried the apo EQ before and it's very fucking good. However I don't actually want to use one and I don't feel the need to with my current headphones.

That said I see where you're coming from. That does look like fun if it's sitting in front of you and you could casually slide the knobs up or down to suite your needs mid song to get a better feel. If it's terrible you could always send it back to amazon. It looks worth a punt to me.

When you are not using WASAPI, the music that you are listening is resampled if the DAC sample rate is not the same as the audio file sample rate.
Some of these resampling are lossy, as they need to use interpolation techniques. I'm sorry if my post is vague, I'm writing from the phone.

I don't know anything about WASAPI besides the fact that it's an audio option when I use my midi keyboard. Would the setting affect my keyboard?

Also for spotify and general flac use would you still recommend the 44100 over the 48000 and 96000 setting?

Would anyone here be willingto let me cum on your headphones?

Use the native sampling rate of whatever file you're playing. WASAPI/ASIO will ensure bit-perfect playback.

Give it to me like a retard. Shoulg I be selecting 48000 for flac and less for spotify etc?

I can't be bothered to change the settings for different music players and formats.

>>Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
>>Wireless is frowned upon.
>>Headset requests are frowned upon.
>>Noise isolation ≠ Noise cancellation
>>If you dislike a suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, x sucks"
Why is this dogshit post in every /hpg/?

Kill yourself

Neither

Hardware EQ is quite a bit inferior to a software solution. It has limitations the better software stuff doesn't have and does nothing better than the software in the first place. If your operating system and sound setup allows you to, use something like EQ APO. Ditch any embedded equalizer in media players.

A flac or a lossy file will both have whatever sampling rate it has. 95% of the time that's 44.1kHz. I don't remember if setting it higher in wondows just lets the file go through as its native sample rate or if it upsamples it to whatever you set. This is why I just use wasapi to forgo all that shit.

Akg K553 Pro headphones, are they worth it for $110?
I like a nice soundstage but just intend to plug them into my phone, not a DAC or Amp

>soundstage
>real

>worth
Up to you. Ideally those are V-shaped headphones but since they seal so inconsistently on different people, you might find them anything from very thing/bright to bassy. I don't recommend them without having a listen before as you don't really know whether they'll fit on your head to create a proper seal.

Your phone is a DAC and an amplifier. Probably not a very powerful amplifier but certainly enough to drive a pair of K553s.

I mean its the LG G5, if i was lucky I would be non USA and get the DAC attachment..
Soundstage isnt real?

Why is that dogshit in the op in every thread?

Fug gee, the standard cable that came with my HD600 set is starting to cut out on one ear cuff. After about three years of heavy use I suppose it was bound to happen.

Is there anything I can do or should I just buy a new cable?
Any recommendations on a good cheap aftermarket cable?

You wouldn't have this problem with wireless :^)

Set DAC output to 24/44.1, use SoX resampler in your media player to resample everything that isn't 44.1kHz to 44.1kHz so you can use DirectSound without resampling and not have to deal with the bullshit that comes with WASAPI.

Apple will fix our problems as usual (^:

>headphones so hot they need heatsinks

Forgot graph

Despite not having some external fancy audio module, the phone still does DA-conversion as well as signal amplification. It is a DAC and an amplifier on its own.
>Soundstage isnt real?
Soundstage is real but strictly speaking only with loudspeakers. Headphones create a stereo image different from it which is sometimes referred to as "headstage" to separate it from loudspeaker soundstage. In both cases it's mostly affected by the mastering and not that much about the headphones themselves. Frequency response does affect it but then again, you can alter the FR easily on your own.

I had a thread ready without it but the user who likes to force that garbage into the OP just to stir things up is autistic enough to time it immediately when the thread hits 310 posts.

>Any recommendations on a good cheap aftermarket cable?
China does some. Otherwise I think the official one is the cheapest. The rest of the ones I recall wax philosophical about the sound properties of the cable and cost about as much as the headphones themselves. If you go for the official cable, I'd recommend the HD 650 cable as it's built better and much nicer to bend. Should last a bit longer in use.

>If you go for the official cable, I'd recommend the HD 650 cable as it's built better and much nicer to bend. Should last a bit longer in use.
Thanks. I would get a Chinese one but afraid it won't last so was wondering if there was one that was generally trusted.

How do you select 'wasapi' in general?

Like I said I only see that word when using my midi keyboard

Not him but the cheapest option you'd probably be looking at that isn't official cables or official Sennheiser ones would probably be something like bestintheverse or impactaudiocables on their etsy store.

will check those out, thanks
wouldn't mind paying more for decent quality (I consider the official sennheiser ones decent)

I use a custom cut length 650 cable with 3.5mm end for my 600's from a UK site. If you're a bong i'll find the site for you.

Should be an option in your media player.

I'm from burgerstan unfortunately
Thanks anyway

Thanks for the help.

Oh this reminds me, to add to If your DAC has ASIO support/drivers or ASIO4ALL works for you, you can set the ASIO output like pic related, have the SoX resampler in your DSP to resample everything to 44.1kHz. This way all your other audio will still play fine in the same stream and won't be cut off like it would with WASAPI. If you aren't resampling then the DAC will change to whatever the sample rate is on the fly and the moment it changes to something that isn't 44.1kHz it will cut off all your other sources.

No problem. Lovely headphone stand at least.

Don't feed the troll.

My Piston 3 is dead. Need new chink shit for 30-40$.
Need something with the same comfort like a Piston 3, but not new Piston, because them too much bass.
What do you think about Vsonic VSD1S, Sup Forums?

Fun fact: the benchmark DACs resample all incoming audio anyway, to work with the filters & whatnot that they use. Same thing with the DAC1 I have, only at a lower frequency.

benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/inside-the-dac2-part-2-digital-processing

When in doubt, but the industry standard, amirite?

Most modern DACs oversample, the ones that don't are advertised as NOS or Non-Oversampling DACs.

My friend says his HD800s sound ethereal. What the fuck does that even mean?

audiofools like using special snowflake meme words to describe their gear's sound

my HD600s are muddy
I dragged them through the mud

what are your thoughts on them? I'm thinking about getting a pair

Sounds like he means it has a sense of "air" which usually means something is happening in the 14khz+ region but I don't know what he means exactly.

Is that why wireless is frowned upon?

Audio quality over Bluetooth is dropped really hard.

not with 4.0

Go back to /r/headphones retard, bluetooth is fine for audio playback.

Jesus, audiophiles are the dumbest people on this board.

didn't you know 'phile' iatin for 'autist'?

2012 called, they want their memes back

[citation needed]
We have at least one faggot who is an endless source of made up shit in support of wireless.

>claims all bluetooth has worse audio quality with zero citation
>has the audacity to expect citation from others
fuck off reddit.

Would you like a citation or are you the same retard who rejected an article that proved bluetooth audio loses quality due to compression and rejected it because it is two years old?

lifehacker.com/does-bluetooth-audio-still-suck-1505063323

Dude

>lifehacker.com/does-bluetooth-audio-still-suck-1505063323
>That said, it's still not as good as wired audio, and some people say it's still unacceptable overall.
Thank you for proving bluetooth, even 4.0, loses audio quality.

i'd like you to find something that proves the compression in bluetooth 4.0 or later has an audible impact.

and no, anecdotal evidence from head-fi is not citation. i'll wait.

>i'd like you to find something that proves the compression in bluetooth 4.0 or later has an audible impact.
Someone already provided a citation. See

nobody cares about what that idiot linked, i'm still waiting for solid evidence to support your claims.

>there was a time where Bluetooth audio soundedterrible. Whether it was for headphones or speakers, Bluetooth just wasn't initially designed for high-quality audio. Times have changed however, and like most technologies, Bluetooth has quietly come a long way in the past several years.

Nice 2012 meme bruh