Well will android/windows start using 3d touch/force touch?

Well will android/windows start using 3d touch/force touch?

I don't want to have to buy an Apple device to use this.

As soon as one as Samsung finds a way to implement it without obviously violating one of Apple's patents.

>memetouch

im an iphone 6s jailbroken poweruser and that feature is a piece of crap dude. literally never use it.

>iphone
>poweruser

Isn't 3d touch just a fancy name for long press?

Nah it's actually pressure sensitivity, but it's literally only used for stuff that used to be done with a long press.

It's called hold to press

shut up faggot

See pic related.

>i use a massive gaping privilege escalation security hole exploit to get root privilege and basic android features and then prevent apple from patching it so i can keep those features, while inviting russian hackers to freely steal all of my login/passwords and data
>this is how utterly shit stock iOS is and what i'd rather settle with so i can "break out of jail"

>Electrodes measuring the screen curvature
vs
>Size of contact area

A cuckdroid memester developping an app with the convenient name "Force Touch Demo" using the "get size of contact area" function do not change anything.

And then they proceed to say oh but we never used it because confusion. Top KEK.

>hold to press
Are you high?

Hasn't Android already had that shit for years? Samsung has already got something very similar

so what dude? im not a fan of apple or android. they both suck at some point. thinking of getting s7 edge next month but im unsure about the sound quality with earphones.

>I acknowledge it does the same thing but it's not from Apple so it SUCKS

>mfw trying to use iOS after four years of android.
Baby's first phone, as easy to use and as customizable as old Symbian Nokias, left in the dust waiting for features droids had for years.

cool story bro. prove that you have it in the dust. you have 10 seconds.

You do realize that this is not just a software feature? Who gives a fuck what kind of useless APIs Google threw into Android at some point.

>iphone user
>calls someone else a faggot

I hope never, hiding features in an INVISIBLE menu is a really fucking bad idea.

prove that you are not a faggot.

>the most useless feature ever

>Boss gets 6s Plus after Note 4.
>Installs true caller which he uses religiously.
>It cannot display names when someone is calling and you have to search manually.

His face was priceless, and anyway user posted a .png already.

It achieves the same thing and it's clearly a gimmick to compensate for lack of innovation.

Apple don't have a patent on pressure sensitivity so it's fine.

Also, you could do most of the stuff that force touch does on iOS by adding more/new long press actions.

Android used to have right click, now it's gone.

so probably never.

So it's long press. But various levels of longness.

>>Size of contact area
The Android API doesn't define that this is the way to provide pressure data, this is how many ROMs implement providing pressure data. Some stock ROMs (TouchWiz for example) will always provide a 1 result (highest pressure) from a screen touch, partly because on the Note series the SPen feeds into the pressure API.

If the device actually has a pressure sensitive touch screen, one such device was released by Hauwei a few months before iPhone 6S, then this API will be fed from that pressure sensitive screen.
I know of no other devices that actually have a pressure sensitive screen though.

i dont use an iphone

>when will phones use hovering gesture
Same shit. Yes, apps like browsers even support that. I remember doing that on my Xperia SP. Pressure sensitivity might be useful for drawing apps, but who the fuck draws on his phone.

I got an iPhone 6s plus for free at work (too much shit and they were giving it away to get more money allocated to our department for other shit). I jailbroke it and it's useful as a mini tablet. Lots of great features. The force touch thing has annoyed me so badly that I turned it off in the settings. There's also no significant difference between the A8 and A9 SoCs in day to day use. I still use my trusty Nexus 5. Works fine with a battery case.

>Pressure sensitivity might be useful for drawing apps, but who the fuck draws on his phone.
Note users. And they have a pen with pressure sensitivity.

Well tell them they are retarded,

I amn't.

>It achieves the same thing and it's clearly a gimmick to compensate for lack of innovation.
Nice theory

Long pressure takes a long time, pressure does not.

Most of the rich fucks I know either carry one or a big ass tablet, they use if for browsing and normie apps.
They also carry a dumb phone for actual phone calls, the Iphones, S7s and G notes they carry serve nothing more than being a status symbol, something shiny to put in front of you on your disk to let the other guy know you're better than him.

FFS the 6s plus costs almost double as much as an S7 in the shithole I live in.

Long touch takes about the same amount of time as force touch. I've tested it, there is a required delay on the amount of time you apply the pressure for.

>overpriced

You pay for quality

>no mSD slot

Who cares?

>shit res screen

Nope

>shit camera

Nope

>shit battery life

Nope

>shit mobile OS

Nope

>no native file browser

Who cares?

>can't use phone as a flash drive

Who cares? It's a phone

>have to use lagtunes to access one

I'll give you that

>can't share files other than photos/videos over wifi

Who cares?

>can't share jack shit over bluetooth

You can live without this "used once a year" feature I am sure

>no back button

Good. Swiping is better

>shit multi-tasking

Who cares? It's a phone, silly

>less apps

Better quality and more current/secure etc.

>encryption is full of backdoors

Nope

Android is ok when you're poor and immature using it for: ricing for fun, sharing files like a good criminal and generally acting like a cYboR haCK3r with your redundant file browser and cli on a phone. Once you graduate to grown-up, non-neet status you get a comfy iPhone.

>Don't refute any of the points
>Just says nope and who cares xDDD while calling others immature
The shilling quality has really gone down hill on Sup Forums.

How are you enjoying yet another massive gaping Android security vulnerability Pimjeet?

About as much as all those unpatched vulnerabilities in iOS.

>all those ad hominems and sour grapes

I guess having a mcjob makes you feel obligated to shill for the shitty phone you had to get a loan for

>tfw one of two CVEs that affect my S5 were patchedin less than a week after its discovery

Kek'd

But they used it for nothing

That is exactly what Im talking about..

Because they realized long press is more intuitive than pressure gimmick shit.

But you can still have long press..

How is giving the user a more options in a device that is limited by its own form of input (the touchscreen) bad?

Boy this board knows jack shit about tech. This nigger right here can't even realize the difference between Force Touch and some shit that Synaptics laptop touchpads have been doing since the year 2000.

Why do you fags have to take things so personally and start a childish muh taste>your taste discussion in every thread? This board is pathetic.

Fukken rekt!

You're a fucking idiot, that fake force touching requires you to make your finger have a massive surface area, real actual force sensing means you can use your top/nail portion of your finger, it means you can much more naturally display force.

>But you can still have long press..
>How is giving the user a more options in a device that is limited by its own form of input (the touchscreen) bad?
More ways to confuse the user over which method of touch input they should be using to get what they want.
It's pretty simple when you have two input methods, touch and long (or pressure) touch.
Touch is for selecting things, long (or pressure) is for options, but when you have two methods (long and pressure) both providing different menus of options it becomes a matter of learning for each app what the input method you need to use for each, and that's not intuitive.

It's even worse because force touch is used for different things in different apps.

Force touch is shit, it's a fucking gimmick. Those that refuse to accept the same functionality can come from a long press are in denial defending a fucking fruit company.

Suck it, Apple fags.

You're a fucking idiot, quoting the wrong post or completely misinterpreting the content of the post you're replying to.

Is there any reason it couldn't be replaced with a double tap or heaven forbid a long touch

>They also carry a dumb phone for actual phone calls, the Iphones, S7s and G notes they carry serve nothing more than being a status symbol,
Bullshit, you don't actually know more than one person who does this.

So your only argument its because its too hard too use?

Than its just a matter of good implementation.

There is a lot of things you can do with force touch that you cant do with long press.

Its not even remotely the same.

I do plenty, some carry tablets, some phablets, some high end phones for showing off, and all of them carry either dumb phones or cheap droids.

You should get out of your basement more.

are you retarded?

rich people have iPhones. nothing ele.

dumb fuck..

>what is Windows right-click

Such as?

Again, get out of your basement more.
And there is more to the world than Burgerland and Burkastan, user.

>"take selfie" is on quick settings
And this is why Sup Forums thinks it's gay, it's literally "white girl's phone"

I have only used a 6s for a while but you can force touch on the edge to multi-task or switch between apps. I found that very useful.

It also can make daily tasks much faster. (hard press to preview something than press harder to go in or unpress to cancel) this would be completely impractical with long press yet it could make your usage much more fluid using force sensitivity. There is really no reason why you cant have both.

But there are many other applications. In a game where you have to keep your finger on the screen you can just press harder to change your action etc

This is how apple uses it anyway, im sure there are even better ways.

Only white girls take selfies?

Im not even american and you clearly are the one that never left your basement.

If you ever go to a place that rich people go you will see that 90% of them have iPhones.

You dont even have to leave your house, just watch some expensive sport events. If you watch formula 1, when they show shots of the paddock guests (where tickets cost more than 10k usd) they all have iPhones.

>stop enjoying things I dont enjoy
>stop taking pictures
>stop doing things normal people do
>bwaaaaaaaaa

True, it is more about the implementation.

Though there is the matter of it being hard to use if you are actively doing something like jogging, riding a bike, maybe even being jostled on a train.

Hopefully not? We don't need applels meme "innovation" shit, it's past the point of ridiculousness.

"Lets remove the headphone jack so we can make it even thinner! This changes everything, again!"

Why is it shit? Touchscreens are extremely limited, adding force sensitivity is literally another dimension in input.

At some point you have to stop adding buttons on a mouse

>I don't have this feature or a retort so I'll just say it's unimportant
lolololololololololololol

>be applel
>introduce forcetouch gimmick and struggle to find uses for it
>remove 3.5mm headphone jack which everyone uses

innovation.

Sure. But I dont think force sensitivity means you are going too far.

>pressure sensitivity
>something that has existed since before the dawn of time on android and windows
>apple is just now implementing it for their UI
>innovation
kek

most of those are tbqh

How the fuck does windows or android use any form of force sensitivity?

>watchout, imma cYboR haCK3r

Doesn't have to. Simply asserting it is so is enough for a fanboi.

this is bait. Was the thread bait from the start? I need to start sleeping regularly. this is what my life has come to.

anyway,

Mentioning Apple triggers some of the most deeply rooted form of autism known to man.

They are probably gamer kids that are bullied by some cool kids that own iPhones.

>38 posters
>80 replies
Oh sweet

meant to say 34

This peek and pop thing would probably cause android to lag heavily.

PC Masterrace gamers are the ones that bully iToddlers, that's why all Applel shit owners are all gay and poor.

I tried using it on my mum's iPhone the other day.
It didn't feel that great, the extra functions it provided were mostly useless, and there was no indication of where you can and can't use it. Pretty counter intuitive if you ask me.

>iphone user worried about dac quality

doesn't the s7 have a better dac

>introducing force touch!
>this changes everything again

Android has always had force touch, see Nobody uses it because interfaces designed around force touch aren't very intuitive for most people (especially tech illiterate old people who have no idea what they're doing) and there are way too many different types of touchscreens in android phones. It's always been there for android devs to use if they want to, it's just not really practical.

Apple on the other hand is acting like they've invented something new but as usual they've ripped the idea from elsewhere. They can get away with this because they have the advantage of vertical integration and can fine tune force touch to iphone screen, which allows them to build an intuitive user interface with force touch.

I still prefer android though, only because I love having gnu/linux installed in a chroot...

>Apple on the other hand is acting like they've invented something new but as usual they've ripped the idea from elsewhere

Who gives a fuck who invented what. What matters is who did it better. Why are you fags always making everything a my brand > your brand discussion?

Anyway, that supposed pressure sensitivity thing android has is nowhere near force touch. That is what I call a gimmick.

I agree that it cant be counter intuitive but its just a matter of good implementation, Apple is doing it right so far IMO since its mostly used just as shortcuts to make the experience more fast and fluid.

But I still don't see why Android shouldn't give this a try. All you have to do is think of a good way to use it.

>since its mostly used just as shortcuts
>All you have to do is think of a good way to use it
>its mostly used just as shortcuts
>used just as shortcuts

still sure sounds like a fucking gimmick

>add a new dimension of interaction
>Sup Forums will hate it solely for the deluded hate it has for the business which did it

Not really? Since when is making your usage faster and more comfortable a gimmick? Its not limited to that

And that is how apples uses it, Im sure there can be better ways.

Android devs will never use it because there are way too many different android phones each with different touchscreen. If you're writing an app for your own phone it's totally viable because you only need to consider your phones touchscreen but it gets way too complicated when you have to consider every other touchscreen out there. Unless all android phone manufactures agree to standardise force touch in some way, it's not going to happen.

Windows phone will probably implement force touch before android does.

Yeup. It's just a meme. None of this really matters in the grand scheme of things.

you can't talk, there was just a jailbreak released that launches after simply running an app that you install. iOS is just as bad if not worse because it doesn't get monthly security patches like Android.

>Since when is making your usage faster and more comfortable a gimmick

Well it doesn't do any of those things apart from hiding menus which is kinda unintuitive and bad form UI design wise. Jobs would probably have had someone's head for that shit. Regardless, long press would have, and does, suffice. It was a gimmick with a shitty buzzword name attached meant to hype up an otherwise drab unveiling of yet another iphone.

Silly user. This board isn't about technology.

Its about >muh brand

You cant expect someone to talk about something if their favorite brand doesn't use it

>waaaah, stop discussing things on [arbitrary board]

But it doesn't hide menus. That is the opposite of what it does.

Its used for shortcuts. Quoting my previous post:

I have only used a 6s for a while but you can force touch on the edge to multi-task or switch between apps. I found that very useful.

It also can make daily tasks much faster. (hard press to preview something than press harder to go in or unpress to cancel) this would be completely impractical with long press yet it could make your usage much more fluid using force sensitivity. There is really no reason why you cant have both.

But there are many other applications. In a game where you have to keep your finger on the screen you can just press harder to change your action etc

This is how apple uses it anyway, im sure there are even better ways.