What can be improved for under 400 dollars?

What can be improved for under 400 dollars?

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Intel-SR008-i5-2500K-3-30ghz-Quad-Core-CPU-Processor-LGA-1155-SOCKET-H2-/252498573332
youtube.com/watch?v=Qn6zxoh3oK4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The single most cost-effective performance upgrade is an SSD for your boot drive.

FHD monitor

cpu is uber shit, take cheap strong amd one.or i5
go 8go ral
take a 480 gpu

should be less than 400$

Yeah I was thinking about getting a 480 and possibly upgrade to 8GB of RAM. I'll have to check out the CPU tho. What's wrong with this one?

i5 2500/i5 3570/i7 2600/i7 3770
RX 480
4GB more RAM

well it's a very weak cpu.
an FX 8350 will boost your computer, i5 if you're more gaming.

SSD and monitor first

then RAM if you run out of RAM constantly

then CPU

then GPU

I got this computer for my birthday back in 2011, but it can barely keep up with current games senpai. It's primarily for gaming and doing school work. I need a solid graphics card (480 sounds perfect) and 8GB of RAM. I'll have to look a bit more into the processor to see if I can squeeze in a better one.

Monitor and the HDD are not really priorities t.bh

>le meme first
Literally the most insignificant upgrade I've ever done was moving to a SSD. He's on a G620 and 6670 and can sextuple his performance in both areas. Merely knocking the load time of 2 or 3 programs down by 1/3rd is no comparison.

/Thread

Replace Windows 10 by a real OS for completely free

Buy Windows 7

>Comparing buying a $40 SSD to $400 of hardware

The most significant upgrade I ever made was moving to an SSD.

You can have the world's most powerful computer, but if your hard drive is slow it's still going to feel like a sluggish piece of shit.

Since moving my / to an SSD everything is about 10x more responsive

i7 3770/3770k/2600/2600k/2700k if you can get one similar in price to an i5
i5 3570k/3570/3550/3470/3450/2500k/2500/2400
There's only a 10% difference in clockspeed between any of them and there isn't much difference in speed between the generations, so whatever you find the cheapest will work. Don't prioritize the k in any way since your motherboard doesn't support overclocking.

Then a RX 480, and maybe another stick of RAM.

i5-2400/2500 (k if you have a decent motherboard for overclocking + a cooler you can get more single core performance than an i7-6700)

spend the rest on a GPU. at your resolution, a 750 ti or rx 460 will do fine for high-ultra. wouldn't invest in anything stronger than a 960 for that res.

good luck.

>suggesting buy a whole new dead socket mobo when his current one can accommodate i5s and i7s.
Shame it's an H61 though, so no Ks.

he should go sandy bridge so 2400 or 2500 because he has the socket for it.

this

If I'm on 2GB of ram with an SSD, and everything feels snappy as fuck, would upgrading to 8GB do anything?

I'm thinking of maxing out my ram slots while DDR3 is still cheap.

He has the socket for any of the processors I listed.

of course it's worth upgrading, 2gb is destitute. unless you're on a really crap cpu that doesnt run anything remotely heavy well anyway.

But will the chipset support ivy bridge? That's the question.

ebay.com/itm/Intel-SR008-i5-2500K-3-30ghz-Quad-Core-CPU-Processor-LGA-1155-SOCKET-H2-/252498573332

i5 2500k for $82 BIN

Yes. He listed the mobo. You could've checked the CPU compatibility yourself.

youtube.com/watch?v=Qn6zxoh3oK4

an ssd is a more significant performance upgrade than maxing out your ram

unless he's doing anything but repeatedly restarting his computer and jerking off over how fast he can reach the desktop, there's no fucking way it's not worth upgrading that garbage cpu/gpu over getting an SSD for literally anything he would do after the computer has been powered on unless, again, he's just opening stuff long enough to load into RAM then closing them.

i swear you SSD shills are either trolls or just don't know what it's like having low-end hardware

Even with a maxed out CPU and RAM, your shit machine will still be a slow unresponsive piece of shit.

Just speaking personally, it was the greatest purchase I have made. Seem to have less OS problems even. Just buy decent and optimize. It was night and day.

Did it effects games all that much? No, but instant load screens are awesome, overall PC experience is vastly improved, and it's among the most cost effective upgrades out there.

Stop defending your slow, loud piece of shit with moving parts that will easily fail, grandpa.

improvement is very relative and subjective to your purpose of such a machine, sometimes you need to let go and understand there is deeper meaning in death because there's an element of renewal and rebirth just like shiva one of the lord of our pajeets has taught to us unto this land, therefore I command that you do not improve anything and you meditate upon the purchasing power that has been bequeathed unto you and ask yourself: What can I improve in myself for 400 dollars? What is the meaning of these 400 dollars in my life? Once you find the meaning and the purpose of your journey then you can take a single path and you will know, user, that it's priceless and more dollars will flow naturally; and you will say why are these dollars following me? They want to be improved.

A new OS

Okay but what is the rest of your system? If you weren't having any performance issues to begin with of course you'll notice and enjoy the faster load times more. But since 90%+ of your cpu time on a pc is spent on stuff that's already loaded into memory rather than waiting on IO, if you have a pentium g620 and an hd 6xxx... it's a god damned nobrainer. He doesn't have a decent system, anyone who is recommending an SSD in this case already had a decent or good system aside from a mechanical drive. I'm just trying to prevent this guy from being memed into a bad purchase.

Hmm really made me think.. I am now #ShitMissile

OP here. Don't worry I won't fall for the SSD meme for now. I think I will, however, settle for the 480 and 8GB of RAM. I'll drive down to the store a few days from now and ask them what they can do without jewing me too much money.

Please, my Dell from 2006 would boot in under 20 seconds. Your inability to stop yourself from installing 5000 toolbars and slowing your system to a crawl does not make a SSD a logical purchase.
All he needs to do is reformat, make a 100GB partition for his OS, browser, and whatever other applications he uses often, and put all his other programs on the D: drive, and he has 70% of the performance of a SSD for 0% of the cost.

Spending $80 out of $400 on a SSD is a horrible purchase when he can pick himself up a used 2400/2500k, new RX 480, and a used 1200p monitor if he has the full $400.

Literally anything

You are absolutely ignorant. I am currently running a Dell Latitude 2120, and it took about a solid two minutes to boot into Debian 8.5 on an HDD.
SSD knocked that down to about 20-30 seconds.
SSDs in older computers can bring a whole new lease on life.

>why is my fresh install faster than my 5000 toolbar old one?
Also, note he doesn't have a laptop hard drive. Those things have the speed of a desktop drive from 2001.