Tech regret thread

>Get myself a top of the line gaming rig with a GTX 1070 now that I'm old enough to afford it.
>Sit down and realize every game bores me and that I could be doing much better things with my time and my life.

Gonna sell it on craigslist for what I can get and just go back to my fairly decent laptop I guess. Might keep the monitor.

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/id/xenontech/
steamcommunity.com/id/poppyopossum
steamcommunity.com/id/ArcticSpyder/
imgur.com/a/gf4VP
reddit.com/comments/4ge5ah/beginners_guide_to_the_installation_of_dark_souls/
steamcommunity.com/id/Dinova
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>wasting 100 hours of my life working to achieve meaningless shit in skyrim
>buying a 27 inch LCD display (but it was only $8)

Every day there's another "I bought a high end gaming rig just to realize I don't give a fuck about modern gaming" thread. Get in line.

Yeah, yeah, I know.

Find other uses for your hardware, like compiling shit or running video filters

>buying a fucking Fermi GPU

I've been gaming for years but I'm selling my rig because gaming sucks big ol dick now.

>being a consumerist whore
You didn't "realize" shit. You wanted the high of getting new toys even though you don't have shit to use it for (because you're a boring piece of shit that does nothing but spend all his time on Sup Forums).

>1070
>Fermi
what

that escalated quickly

the only right answer in this thread

i5-4460 and gtx 960
no regrets here runs everything 1080p lowest settings with vsync. could be maxing all of these games but i really don't see the point, graphic fidelity is pretty irrelevant to me. rather keep temps, power usage, and utilization low for however many years that overhead lasts.

My life became much more productive after I quit gaming and watching TV. Guess people do grow out of it in time.

Now I mainly build small itx systems or use a NUC for daily use. I grew out of big cases and computer parts that try too hard to look edgy.

Well anyways, enjoy more quality time (even more shit posting time, too!)

Seriously?

Stop projecting your inner frustrations towards another user. its pathetic and only serves to further your bitterness which perpetuates the vicious cycle of self loathing and hate..

I had the complete opposite happen OP, building a high end rig re-ignited my passion for vidya. Playing through total war: warhammer, x-com 2 and TW3 right now.

Everything since tesla has been fermi.

Fuck man, not him but you hit a little too close to home with that one. Have a good night man.

-

same... spent way too much on a gtx1070. Built a new computer about a month ago, and I still can't be bothered playing anything on it except snes games on an emulator.

I had earned just enough money through being a good little wagecuck and bought a nice gtx 1070 1080 144Hz setup.

No regrets here. It's not like the 1.5-2k bucks can afford you anything decent. The good stuff starts WAY further down the path, so I figured who cares. Now I have everything I'd need in the current 'league', before I make the jump to a private house.

If things are still within a decent return window, just return them, even better if it's from amazon as they practically have a no questions asked return policy that extends far longer than most other retailers.

FML,
I spent $2700 AUD for a system to come through in a few days. I really hope I dont abandon it after a few days..

>finish uni
>get a fresh grad job, barely enough $$$ to last till the end of the month
>can save up $100 per month, sometimes less
>no internet at home
>takes a full year (yea, 12 months) to buy a mid-tier PC
>the joy! the happiness!
>time passes
>two jobs later
>middle class income
>20/20 mbps internet (it is good for a third world country)
>can afford a decent PC
>but... doing Masters
>also have 3 kids
>and also have multiple projects to manage
>have enough time to play 1 round of dota every couple of days
When I had the time, I did not have the hardware, or the internet. Now that I have the internet and the hardware, I do not have the time or energy.

Anyway, I have games to give, for those of you who have the time. Get your Steam URLs ready.

I miss your old tech guides. Any plans to update any, or do you just defer to logical increments ?

First person to post their Steam URL as a reply to this post gets gifted Bastion.

Fun little game. 2D, but beautifully drawn, great narration.

I cannot even keep up with the laptops and keyboards and screens and mice. I am trying to finish my Masters, so that I have time to maintain what is up, before I can think of expanding.

But I can give a few games away, to those who have the time. Unfortunately, I have run out of AAA titles, so I only have indies and small titles left.

Well, if you wanted it to be a direct reply,

Friend request sent.

He actually did it :O

First person to post their Steam URL as a reply to this post gets gifted Binding of Isaac collection.

No idea what this game is. If you want it, take it, play it, then tell me what you think of it.

First person to post their Steam URL as a reply to this post gets gifted DARKEST SOULS! PREPARE TO DIE AND BE MURDERED AND KILLED TO DEATH!

If you want Isaac, reply to this

While I already have these two games, thanks for legit giving something away for no reason

steamcommunity.com/id/poppyopossum

I have more, but I apologize in advance: Smaller titles only.

I bought these long ago, before I knew what was popular and what was not.

First person to post their Steam URL as a reply to this post gets gifted Brothers, which is almost identical to Dark Souls: Killing to Death via Murder.

Currently Offline
Last Online 43 hrs, 22 mins ago

Friend request sent, but I will not wait too long for you.

can you create your own steam gifting thread faggot

Mods do not allow it.

Get into 3D rendering or video editing

Anyone? I will not hackerize your account, I promise.

>he has 3 kids
>wageslave
>university cuck
what a sad existence. pathetic.

w8

id/sendmeyourpants

What a pathetic wagecuck. I remember you from earlier. Fucking hell just quit your job, leave those kids and go your own way.

Doing a master in uni with 3 kids and working. Truly a hellish existence.

steamcommunity.com/id/ArcticSpyder/

>Leave those kids
Are you that fucking selfish user? Try caring about someone other than yourself cunt.

>Currently Offline
>Last Online 18 days ago
Ok.

>just quit your job, leave those kids and go your own way
Yeah, just leave my children, quit working, and... what? Wait for Neetbux?

just boting up steam

Whoever accepts gets to choose first.

Those children I assume, have a mother. The man has no need to further waste energy on them. He did his job his DNA lives on. He can make more but there's no real need to stick around with the same one for decades.

Do whatever you want. But to waste money on family and strangers only from a sense of obligation or guilt seems useless.

>Those children I assume, have a mother. The man has no need to further waste energy on them. He did his job his DNA lives on. He can make more but there's no real need to stick around with the same one for decades.
t. Jamal

>>also have 3 kids
What's it like having no life of your own?

zython is online

Fuck.
Could sell my rig, monitors and speakers and make a ton of dosh, I don't even enjoy most games anymore and am in debt, but everything holds sentimental value.

My life would actually have meaning and I'd get my shit together if I stopped using PCs and found a better use for my time.

that hit too close

dude, get a proper bike for that cash, you'll have so much fun

Thanks!!!

Whoever brought you up, failed. Children do not need just a mother, they need a family.

Very hard! Only the eldest is in school! I have heard from older parents that you get your life back when all kids are in school.

Binding of Isaac is still available. Anyone?

I fucking love bikes, but I already drive like a maniac and I'm convinced a bike will be the death of me.

Will get a Ninja ZX-6R one day though, one day user,

>56073407
l2screenshot

>tfw poor, 13 dollars an hour job
>but no debt at all
>put away a couple hundred a month for luxuries/emergencies and just do whatever

it's not the most glorious existence, but it's not so bad. there's people way worse off than me and i take comfort in that.

i mean non motoric bikes, theyre fun aswell

>also have 3 kids
>just after uni
Did she rape you?

This is the way it should be user, you earn, you save 10% or more for a rainy day, and invest the reminder that goes unspent or save it to buy something that will hold it's value.
Also falcon doing gods work

imgur.com/a/gf4VP
brothers taken, praise the falcon

Why did you bring new life into this miserable world?

What are they going to do differently than find themselves in the same misery that you find yourself now?

Initially, I wanted 7 kids, and she wanted 5. Now, we both agree that 3 is actually just fine.

planning yo get a cheepo bike to ride on weekends, they're indeed fun af.

I will try my best to give them a better life than mine.

Post Steam URL as a reply to this post, and pick whatever game you want from pic. First come, first serve.

I have 4 siblings. #1-2 is harder than the rest according to mom (but it obviously depends on spacing). Because when the kids have grown up to about 9-10 they can be made autonomous and they even help out if you raise them well. They also know an 9 kid family. Which to me sounds pretty nuts. But they apparently have had a very similar situation.

Make sure to mod it before starting.
reddit.com/comments/4ge5ah/beginners_guide_to_the_installation_of_dark_souls/
Otherwise it plays at some stupidly low resolution and gets shit performance. I recommend enabling the unlocked framerate in DSfix but then setting the FPS limit to 30. If you have a locked framerate a glitch will halve your framerate near bonfires and if you use an unlocked framerate above 30 the physics freak out.

you'll pull throught it, whats your masters in ?

CS.

Before you bash me: It was the easiest field I could think of.I typically study for exams 2 days before the finals.

I have a finals exams tomorrow.

>implying the tripfag isn't just another kissless virgin neet looser

My childhood was upper-middle class. My stepfather brought in a 6 figure income, and basically let me do anything.

He didn't make enough to create any sort of trust, so all I have to look forward to now is eventually getting an old house.

In the meantime, I have to work. There are many things I wanted to do; so many they would take a lifetime. I had to let those go, even though I am single and really need only to feed myself.

We exist only to acquire power through learning, and to exercise that power over our environment to better define that existence.

When we are forced to submit ourselves to the concerns of others, we have forfeited our freedom of agency.

Unless you can create a life for them, one without indentured obligation to others, you have accomplished nothing more than their eventual enslavement.

cool, what field ? I have a friend in computer graphics and he says its like living in hell

hey Falc, masters in what?

>either make enough $$$ to make sure your kids never have to work, or do not have kids at all
That is a pretty depressing way to live, mate. Why are you obligated to make enough $$$ for your kids only? What about your grandkids? And their kids?

Either you are a billionaire, or you stop having kids?

Nah.

Computer Science. Just computer science, no specialization.

nvm
I didn't update before replying

>Either you are a millionaire, or you stop having kids?
Yeah. That sounds like a great law if it could be enforced.

>tfw even falcon can get a gf

>be poor whole life and buy rigs midrange-low rigs from the last generation every 8 years.
>finally get a good job this year and save money for a nice rig
>buy midrange again and decide to travel with rest of the money
you guys are literally retarded for spending that much money against you are a millionares and don't care

what is the purpose of life anymore

Note: Not bashing here.

The entirety of knowledge one can gain from any CS program can be found in better detail, in many different forms, essentially free of charge online (just google it, any part of it).

Assuming you are pursuing a career in software engineering:

As someone who has to interview candidates claiming to be qualified in this area, I honestly prefer someone with demonstrated ability to self-learn (as a software engineer, self-learning is your job after all).

I've hired people with biology degrees to write servers. They are still with us, and our servers are still running. You need only analytical ability.

The short of it: I emplore you to stop buying into the "degree meme". Certifications of all forms have been so thoroughly commoditized they are worth little more than a sales receipt.

but would you hire someone without a degree though, and more important how much does the job pay and where do you live ?

Fucked if I know

Funny, i just built a computer and have been wanting to play Fallout

Anyways, if the offer is still on, id want that one...
steamcommunity.com/id/Dinova

I wasn't sure if I should pursue mechanical engineering or computer science but, as you said: "CS program can be found in better detail, in many different forms, essentially free of charge online (just google it, any part of it)." whilst I don't think mech. is as easy to find

FWIW:

-simple hygiene
-minimum level of fitness (not ultra skeltal, not 300+lbs)
-non-dirty clothes
-career (a.k.a not Neetbux)
-non-extremely offensive personality

That is really all it takes.

I live in a third world country. Here, having a paper with "Masters" written on it gets you more interviews than actually demonstrable skills. This is how it is, and I cannot change the country.

if I may ask, where is that third world country?
fuck man, I live in Croatia and it's not that bad

Admittedly, I'm an antinatalist.

Meaning, in this case: It stops with the kids, and the kids don't want more. Teach it out of them.

I'm not creating a family for this reason. I've observed only misery around me, and outside of my family, experienced nothing of value.

I would not want the same, or similar, for anyone.

Schools are over crowded. Any children of mine will have to be home-schooled. I will not have the time if I wish to save for retirement.

People are selfish assholes. All of them, no matter how nice they are to your face. Why add something beautiful to this world, only to have it twisted into something disgusting.

Malaysia.

Post Steam URL as a reply to this post, and pick whatever game you want from pic. First come, first serve.

I have the same background as yours, except that it's my father and I've lived in 5 countries. I'm sensing some melancholy and I like the way you think, you've been reading. Work isn't bad in itself because you always acquire experience in any kind of job and an understanding, life is a learning process. That's why self-renewal is essential lest you become an unchangeable object that can only break and won't bend anymore. The world is a big place and your existence isn't confined to an environment which is dictated from dogma and pressures of society unto you. Ultimately we're condemned to be free and man has anxiety towards the capacity and potential of that freedom, hence work is good when you learn within the frameworks fostered unto you to then become free. Unrestrained freedom without experience often leads to a potential catastrophe where you would have to work to survive. You still have a ticket to ride.

Delievered! thanks!

>you will never know whether you outgrew gaming by getting older and becoming aware of life and growing a conscience for wasted, unproductive time, or it's because you're a "huuurh moern gaymen sucks" grognard

Online, ME resources are few and far between.

With substantial effort, you can infer most of it from applied physics. The rest of it might come from studying existing designs (or just buying the books yourself at a fraction of the cost, and studying on your own).

Sadly, a friend of mine hasn't had any luck getting into an ME-related position. However, I can't really say I'm an expert outside of employment in IT or CS-related fields.

Malaysia is an awesome business hub, calling it third world isn't accurate nigga

corrupt as fuck with hypocrite religion (aka brunei excesses) but great business legislation and infrastructure

a century from SG and HK but the hustle is on. you havent traveled when theres a shit ton of countries around you

>I've observed only misery around me, and outside of my family, experienced nothing of value.
Sorry to hear that. And sorry to see that is has warped your views on life, until you do not want to have a family.

Hope your life gets better soon, and that you get to experience better things.

>calling it third world isn't accurate
Just hosted NAM a few years back. Third world by definition, mate.

But yeah, lots of business opportunities here.

I guess it depends where you're coming from, background and perspective yea

even thailand and myanmar have opportunities with their juntas but malaysia has some serious tech infrastructure in please which is a great bet