/sqt/ - Stupid question thread

Old bread

Other urls found in this thread:

groovypost.com/howto/downgrade-windows-10-to-windows-7-windows-81/2/
torrentproject.se/
man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-current/man3/fflush.3
slickdeals.net/f/9008679-27-lg-27mp65hq-p-1920x1080-ah-ips-led-monitor-150-free-shipping?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1
mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Someone offered to hire me to come to their house and set up some computer stuff for them. They want to transfer to a new PC and set the new one up, presumably including software, AV, updates etc.

I've never done this for money before and am not sure what to charge.

>Are they regular normies who don't know shit about computers?

$50

>are they retarded?
$80-$100

30-50 burgers would be a good range for just installing software and dragging files over

What's the difference between uBlock advanced mode, uMatrix and Websocket?

One of the ports are both the same.

A laptop I just got was only ever released with Windows 8 on it. However, I want to downgrade to Windows 7 (I like 7 a bit more). How would I go about finding Win7 device drivers for this laptop?

>Inb4 install Linux
I'm gonna take my old laptop, which is dual booting Win7 and Debian and make it dual boot Arch and Debian.

Any chance you could make that not sound like a riddle?

groovypost.com/howto/downgrade-windows-10-to-windows-7-windows-81/2/

>groovypost.com/howto/downgrade-windows-10-to-windows-7-windows-81/2/

Thanks, but this doesn't help much. I know how to downgrade, but I can't find Win7 native drivers. Your link provides a method of finding drivers for a laptop but only if the manufacturer provides them, which they do not. I should have made that clear.

So to clarify, I'm asking if there's a way I can use drivers for a similar model that does have Win7 support to update the drivers on my laptop. Or if there's another way around this that anyone knows about.

Should I pirate Windows 7

Maybe

I installed Linux alongside Windows 10 but cannot boot Windows.
>error
I downloaded the iso from Mickyshit and intend to make a bootable disc/drive. Will I have any trouble or do I need to do anything when I try to clean install?

Go for it user. Just make sure you get some sort of unlocker for it too!

Is Windows showing up in GrUB? I had a lot of trouble with configuring GruB when I first dual-booted. Also, is >error all that shows up on your screen when you boot windows, or do you get additional messages?

Thanks. Best buy would charge them at least $300, even the small biz place here would ask $200. Knowing that and with your advice I think I'll ask $80. They're not *super* retarded, just old.

Well you would have to hunt down the drivers individually then, at least the essential core drivers. If you know the exact hardware your laptop is going to be running down to the individual devices you can search around for it. If you have access to that model in advance or maybe a display unit you can look in device manager and look it up by number. But some devices just don't have drivers for older versions of windows at all. That's going to be more true as time goes on.

Windows recovery mode is listed.

>Non-System disk or disk error
>File: /Boot/BCD
>Status: 0xc0000225
>The boot configuration data for your pc is missing or contains errors

I installed Fedora in a clean partition.

How else would you obtain a windows system?

see

Alright, thanks. I hadn't thought of looking them up in device manager, and using the numbers. I'll see what I can find by using that.

Did you boot windows between the time when you created the new partition and the time when you installed Fedora? Because it sounds like something went wrong during partition creation and you accidentally wiped your Windows boot files. Posting your partition information might give someone here an idea of what went wrong.

Torrentz was my place to look for torrents. Now it's dead.

What's a good alternative site for looking for torrents?

unless you want to start climbing the pyramid, the only public torrent site that doesn't respond to DMCA requests is pirate bay.

What is fflush in C used for?

Please don't answer "flush the buffer"

p2p

Are there any pros to buying Windows 7 or 10?

torrentproject.se/

TPB is still up isn't it? Though they might be a honeypot now, so beware.

By climbing the pyramid, you mean private trackers right?

says here it flushes the stream buffer

7 can be permanently, safely and fully cracked using SLIC or KMS hacks.

10 is literally cancer and you shouldn't even consider it.

Yes

>By climbing the pyramid, you mean private trackers right?
No, the elite has their own torrent sites, if you get a good job some CEO may pass the links to you

:^)

I read that too, but it could've been written in chinese and i would have understood the same

RARGB or 1337x

or get into private trackers

Well, that would explain how my Jewish roommate always seems to pirate movies before they're released on DVD.

I don't know if I booted in-between desu.

Partitions left to right:
>size: 273 mb
>device: /dev/sda1
>partition type: EFI
>contents: FAT 32 - unmounted

>size: 17 mb
>device: /dev/sda2
>partition type: Microsoft Reserved
>contents: unknown

>size: 425 gb
>device: /dev/sda3
>partition type: Basic Data
>contents: NTFS - unmounted

>size: 1 mb
>device: /dev/sda7
>partition type: BIOS Boot
>contents: unknown

>size: 524 mb - 383 mb free
>device: /dev/sda8
>parittion type: Linux Filesystem
>contents: Ext4 (version 1.0) - mounted at /boot

>size 53 gb
>device: /dev/sda9
>partition type: Linux Filesystem
>contents: LUKS (version 1) - unlocked

>size: 53 bg
>/dev/mappr/luks-5785572b-0d69-4166-a91e-c975911a16cb7
>contents: LVM2 Physical Volume (LVM2 001)

>size 1 gb
>device: /dev/sda4
>partition type: Microsoft Windows Recovery System (System)

>size: 19 gb
>device: /dev/sda5
> parition type: Microsoft Windows Recovery Environment

>size: 1 gb
>device: /dev/sda6
>partition type: bfbfafe7-a34f-448a-6213eb736css
>contents: FAT32 unmounted

wew

cleaned dust for cpu fan today and cleaned off/re-applied thermal paste fr the first time in 3 years

now my cpu is idling at 70degrees
what could be causing this?
i used the pea method and everything seemed to go fine

Like what?

Not having to go through the effort of finding a legit iso and activator.

btw I think that my Windows boot is still there at #1.

The legit isos are literal official releases by Microsoft with checksums and everything.

The activator is on fucking github

This may be cheating but why don't you just replace grub with rEFInd and call it a day

Microsoft doesn't provide the isos publicly anymore so you have to find it elsewhere
I'd be interested in seeing that github link

What's best and most up to date MadVR guide?

You _may_ be able to use some of the W8.1 drivers on W7.
If not, go through Windows Update and see if it can pick anything up.
If it can't go to the website of the manufacturer of each specific component in your laptop, and get drivers from there (e.g. Realtek if they made the sound chip, Intel if they made the NIC, etc.).

Microsoft provides the legit ISOs if you can borrow somebody's non-OEM key. Otherwise you can verify a torrent/download by comparing it's checksum against MSDN. The daz activator and Microsoft toolkits are easily available from their creators at my digital life forums. The real reason not to pirate is that AFAIK there aren't any reliable open source activators so you can never be 100% sure you're malware free. Also, in the case of windows 10 you aren't permanently activated, there's just a program responsible for running constantly and reregistering you for 180 day trials indefinitely. If microsoft ever blocks that, or adds it to defender or changes it's trial system you're screwed.

What's the difference between windows 8 and 7?

What the hell is wrong with Chrome on Windows??

>One client works perfectly.
>Other client doesn't work at all.
>Chrome crashes upon opening, clicking profile, removing extension.
>Incognito mode works.
>Disabling all extensions makes no difference.

WHAT THE FUCK?

man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-current/man3/fflush.3

Best way to fix overexposed pic in gimp?

public static void main(String args[])
{
int b;
call c=new call();
int a=c.salary;
b=c.bonus;
System.out.println(a);

//System.out.println(b);

}

Explain please

8 is designed for touch screens and looks like a tablet OS, 8.1 fixed a lot of things but it also has a bloated interface, 7 is more minimalistic out of the box (in a good way) and usually doesn't have crap preinstalled. Also 8/8.1 comes with Windows store, it appears as a combination of 7 and 10. There isn't that much difference once you set up 8.1 properly, so 7 or 8.1 is just a matter of preference. Most people prefer Windows 7 because you don't have to uninstall half the "apps" you get and remove the store. 7 also supports older hardware better and feels slightly faster, but there are some places where 8.1 beats 7. 8.1 is a decent alternative to 7 if you don't want to use cloud-like operating systems (Windows 10).

It still depresses me that 10 is so bad it's made people start calling 8 good.

10 is the best yet, what are you talking about?

If that were true Microsoft wouldn't need to force people to update.

because people are idiots. They don't want a second XP to happen.

obviously one side isnt secure and theres a tiny gap or you put the fan on backwards

Just booted my machine into safe mode, and it worked fine.

WTF is going on?

That's called advertising annon. When they say the pretty words, they aren't always true. Sometimes they're very not true. Also there's nothing wrong with your old refrigerator and pine-sol won't make birds fly into your windows. That talkin geko thing is legit tho

8 is ok. 8.1 is god tier.

10 is shit. Microsoft is kill

{
int b;
call c=new call();
int a=c.salary;
b=c.bonus;
System.out.println(a);

//System.out.println(b);

}

please explain every line

do your own homework.

I just bought rx 480.
Replacing my old 1366x768 monitor.
What specs of monitor im looking at. Like free sync? I dunno guys my budget is arround 22"

Bump! Is nobody else having this issue?

inches is not a form of currency. How much are you willing to spend and what do you want to do with it?

Best mouse currently on the market?

Can I have an animated gif image as my background in leenucks?

Around 150 to 170 usd

slickdeals.net/f/9008679-27-lg-27mp65hq-p-1920x1080-ah-ips-led-monitor-150-free-shipping?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

Subjective

Only if you hate yourself

1080p IPS

{
int b;
call c=new call();
int a=c.salary;
b=c.bonus;
System.out.println(a);

//System.out.println(b);

}

Is anyone here capable enough to explain me this ?

OH FOR FUCKS GODDAMN SAKE, TURNED OUT TO BE HARDWARE ACCLERATION IN 'SHOW ADVANCED SETTINGS'

Where do I get a clean copy of windows 7? You can't get it from microsoft without a key.

mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/

see

kek

what's a good book to learn javascript?

Fresh install of Windows 7 Ult x64.

Enabled the Remove the Action Center icon Group Policy.

Didn't work. Looked it up. Someone mentioned enabling User Group Policy loopback processing mode. Still not working. Can't find more information.

I've never had this problem previously. I don't understand why it's not working. Please help.

I take that as a yes, and you're right!
Everything checks out~

Can anyone tell me what the hell is this supposed to be?

Both my parents, by boss, and my boss' boss are telling me I should be getting a masters (either in CS/Math or an MBA). A majority of the resources I find online say there won't be much ROI.

Thoughts on masters/PhD's in general?

Fuck off faggot

what's there to explain?

Should I build Jew i3 6100, RX 460

Or a i5 6500, RX 470?

The difference in my builds goes from $600 to $800.

I'm broke as fuck so how long will the i3 build last me? What new games are even coming out besides quake champions?

I'm leaning towards the i3 since all I play is league and overwatch. And I don't see any new games taking over anytime soon.

That was two different people, and while it's only stated that Sup Forums is not your tech support, the 'not your tutor' part is implied. I'm sure there's a lovely reddit out there for you though.

If you're broke that's all the more reason to get something useful from your money. You will be a lot happier going with the more powerful build, especially considering that amd really pushes processors.

Are noctua fans actually worth it or is it a meme? I'm looking to replace my stock Corsair fans with something a little quieter without losing cooling power

Ya I was thinking if I go i5 it'll be good for a few years (I don't always need the newest shit I'm happy with 60fps on medium).

The biggest problem really is Windows 10 costs 120$, really fucking with my building. I can't pirate Windows because I don't have a computer right now so I need a fresh install.

Linuuuuuuuuuuuuuux

I know nothing of Linux unfortunately.

What's the difference between OpenOffice and LibreOffice? I've been using LibreOffice mostly but is there even any major difference between them?

I haven't used other companies aftermarket fans, but they're much better than any stock fans I've ever used.

Extremely quiet which is obviously their main draw. I feel comfortable recommending them to anyone who's comfortable with spending 35 dollars on a single fan, if you're pinching pennies perhaps they're not worth it, but otherwise yeah i'd say theyre great.

You can also get them in black now if you don't like how they look, personally I like how the beige ones look and it's kinda like a token of prestige, like buying name-brand clothes or something, you want them to be distinct.

I'm thinking of making a media center type system that I can also use for 1080p gaming when I go to LANs.

My question is which case is better;

Tt V21or the Corsair 250D

Short question: Im going to study either business law or earth science soon and want to pick up a programming language (or more) during university.
Which one would you advice learning? Keep in mind: Im a total noobniversity.

So i have a hyper 212 plus, and a 6600k, the shitty blademaster fan gave out, i'm using 2 1200rpm fans in push/pull for memefactor 9

Should i just buy 1 or 2 decent fans for it or should i get a better cooler, like a d15/s or a le grand macho rt?, I'm not keeping my current case, and will be putting my computer in a case with a 160mm cpu cooler limit getting a nano s or a core 500, if there are any other coolers i should look into getting recommendations, anything under $100 and the quieter the better

I'm running an overclocked 6700k @ 4.7GHZ using two noctua fans and I've never seen the temp go over 70C. If the coolers can do that then I'd definitely invest in some noctua case fans

I'm overclocking my graphics card for the first time, Is this a good overclock on a GTX1080?

It never gets hotter than 65c.