Internet through telephone outlet

I'm in a building without internet connection, providers etc and I wanna use the phone outlet as a means to connect. Can it be done?

Other urls found in this thread:

pewinternet.org/2012/02/29/main-findings-teens-technology-and-human-potential-in-2020/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Sure. That's what we do in Turkey (if you can find an DSL in your country.)

you might not be leet enough to do so. I can't see any number in your text.

>
How can it happen?

possible speed will depend on distance to dslam tho.

I'd look into LTE, OP.

You find a DSL provider, make a contract and their technician will set it up for you. Usually you'll get a DSL modem or a combo modem/router with it.

>)17:48
Number?

You've got to be kidding, right? Of course it can be done.

D0 y0u und3rst4nd m3 m4t3, y0u n0 l33t

Can I do it alone? I mean, without techs? It's a millitary building with just phone connection and I want to take advantage of that

It's like nobody even read his name

If you've got phone service, just get an acoustic coupler to access the net.

no
the DSL provider needs to connect you to their network

I read his name, but if it's some sort of reference to something, I'm unaware of it.

What's my name have to do with it? :P

sure wish someone would fuck my face

Find a DSL provider and get the to hook you up, they will probably even throw in a DSL modem with contract (as everyone here seem to do, if not US Robotics makes some very nice ones).

But be aware these are limited to dial up speeds so by today standards your cell phone data will be way faster, but it is still internet access and probably cost less too.

One thing to consider depending on where you live is more and more providers are dropping support for these older systems. So if you plan to live there for years you might want to look at long term options depending on the area.

But we need to support these old copper tech systems as they have some of the most robust fail safes in human history, making then a vital national interest for war and peace. Mark my word in the next 60 years this battery based fiber is going to hurt us in ways we can barely imagine, all because a market full of fools wanted faster internet without thinking of the other effects on our way of life.

>.... Have you seen this cat video? It is amazing!

Is this real? Are kids really this stupid now?
>56k
>*DSL

Don't you know how to google?

Fine, I'll take the bait.
What on earth do you think are the "other effects" of fiber?

>Mark my word in the next 60 years this battery based fiber is going to hurt us in ways we can barely imagine
You'll have to explain that one.

I'm not but I think he was hinting towards copper being the better choice in the eyes of national security. Fiber is much faster but requires a power grid, or local batteries, to work. If shit hits the fan, our fiber grid is fucking useless.

>I'm in a building without internet connection
then who was phone?

Oh I see.
Well, you need power to send the signal on copper too and whoever would be able to destroy the power source of fiber would probably be able to estroy copper lines too. I don't know man, fiber doesn't look that bad to me.

Is there any way I could hack into their system to use free internet?

not if you need to ask

I love dicks

Fiber is definitely the better choice imo for internet, but I definitely experience it's drawbacks. I live in NYC, and even then sometimes I lose power from a downed tree twice or three times a year for a day or two, and by then the FiOS pack is dead after a few hours.

Correct,
the way we are building our supporting infrastructure is very different. The old copper systems where built during the cold war when everyone was paranoid. This paranoia actually paid off as the safe guards would later protect us from similar but completely different distastes, many never even made the news thanks to properly working fail safes.

The new fiber optic lines are built for speed and cost savings. And the current model is an accident waiting to happen. When they "upgraded" my mom's house I did all the research for her. The local emergency battery lasts 3 hours after power failure, after which 911 can no longer be reached. Asked the installer about it, he said that power outages are a thing of the past and I worry too much. The secondary node nearby the feeds the one at the house, emergency backup life 9 hours mainly for remote maintenance support, not for public use.

There was even a hybrid system that had many of the benefits of both, but was quickly ignored as it would cost a lot. But from a long term national infrastructure stand point the reliability helps pay back the difference.

True many systems need power to run, but not all power supplies are made equally.

I can build a makeshift generator to pound out a SOS with location info to 911 dispatch on the old copper lines even if every power plant and battery in the area is dead. And that assumes I can't just rig a car as a generator.

You see a critical part of repair is getting the parts. In the old days the core units were simple and could be made or salvaged anywhere. Sure it wouldn't be pretty or as effectiveness, but you can literately splice back a copper line with old pennies and a two rocks. Now circuital parts are made with such a high tolerance that on site repairs are near impossible. It no longer let's pull out our tool kit and patch it till the proper part comes in, it is just wait for X (help,parts,power). And that mindset is very dangerous.

see For more of the technical side, but note that last line. "And that mindset is very dangerous."

The idea that technology effects our way of thinking and living has been and is still debated, but I firmly believe it does have an effect.

I sure you heard the debate about the growing impatience of younger people and their lack of focus, and how some blame new technology for that.

Well, that is partly where I and going with this. Not to say tech is good or bad, but how we design and use it is. And how we are using fiber is not helping us.

Look at the ills of high speed trading. It use to be reserved for a few and is very old, older then the copper systems. But now similar high speed bidding (thanks to fiber's high speed) is going out with smaller business making the market much more competitive then it needs to be. This means less buffered funds which often means less low level job positions, and you may have heard of how messed up the job market is. Is fiber to blame, no, but that subtle influence is not helping matters.

Or in education, faster internet means people and bots can scan more faster. That dramatic increase in volume can drown out the depth and though education needs. There is a reason Google is pushing high speed fiber, their system needs it to get better and people already use Google too much. If people have to wait a second or two for a web page then they think more before clicking as they value their time. This subtle cost drives people to think about how they are looking for the information. In that way they learn how to look, which is a key part of learning how to learn

Or how the purer digital nature of fiber means formatting becomes a bigger issue. It may sound simple to just update and translate, as has always been an issue through time. But it gets bigger as the speed offsets the bad coding we now build the web with.

It is very small, but the effects are huge as all these tiny things add up

Holy crap
Tl:dr

id do it

I think you might be onto something, any reading materials?

Nothing particular, my mind just collect everything then I wake up realizing I learned something new. It is very big and nebulous, but people often find it insightful and think I'm smart or something.

One could likely google a bunch easily, but most are too biased to really post.

Correction I am actually I am finding a lot less then I though on this. The term "negative impact of high speed internet" has yield some results. Many of these articles are in regards to internet enabled smartphones, not specifically fiber optic lines, but they share some notable similarity.

best one so far is
pewinternet.org/2012/02/29/main-findings-teens-technology-and-human-potential-in-2020/

Thanks!

I do see your point, but as an eastern european I would like to horrify you or rather show another side of the story.

Landlines are not a new thing here. Everybody heard/seen one even before the iron curtain fell, but not everybody had a phone in their house.
When the market became free the original company which made the network became the dominant force and shoved a phone in every house it could and where it failed, they upgraded the streetbooths.
The coldwar era network immediately showed its age for it was not built for this kind of high usage.
Then privatization struck and the national telephone company was sold off. Lines, substations, substructures were sold of and lo and behold the german telecom owned everything. with a complete monopol position. Yet life did not stop. Enter the new contestats the fiber/coax providers who fought dirty. How dirty you ask? In larger cities there is a ban for creating new substations and lines or have outrageous prices. So they just took the fiber and ran it next to the powerlines on the poles. They installed switches and mediaconverters in apartment complexes without any sort of paperwork and stole electricity from maintenance circuits of buildings. And guess what? Everyone let them. Suddenly there was competition and prices plummeted in urban areas. Places that still only have landlines (like my old folks) you get adsl2 (8mbit/1mbit) for around 30 bucks a month and I pay 20 bucks for eurodocsis3 (120mbit/10mbit) with 33 tv channels and an ip phone (ata in the given modem).
The old coldwar era copper network in the cities are all dead.