/retro/ - retro, vintage, old computer thread

I love restoring old hardware, don't you?

So do I, but I suppose I really ought to pace myself. Currently working on these three plus maxing out a Thinkpad T43

That's one hell of a pretty looking phone.

2000 was the pinnacle of hardware design.

Its a 1989 Bang & Olufsen Beocom 2000

I'm working on a busted Classic II right now. Just some burst caps on the analog board that I'm waiting on replacements for. Already recapped the whole logic board before.

Hell yeah I do.

Just got Arch on my //e via agetty.

I have a question about replacing parts on boards. If anything like that were to happen to any one of my machines, I'd be terrified I'd break anything. I have practically no experience with soldering. Were you put off the first time you replaced something on the board?

Not really. I have some soldering experience from high school electronics class. There's plenty of tutorials on youtube for that sort of thing if you're interested.

With this mac this was the first time I had to discharge a CRT. As long as you have the right tools (long flat-head screwdriver alligator-clipped to ground) you're totally safe. Kind of unnecessary with the Classic series since they have bleeding resistors that drain out the high voltage, but I didn't want to take any chances.

I posted about this box once before, but I couldn't stick around to read the replies.

Basically I picked this thing up from my local university's tech bin (always worth a look). It powers on, the HDD clicks about for a second, but unfortunately there's no CMOS beep, and nothing comes up on the monitor. How would I go about diagnosing this fellow?

Whoever actually built this computer had no consideration for anyone doing anything inside the case, as it appears to be impossible to reach (or read) the CPU as it's behind the disk drive holders, and the ram is obscured by all of the cables, so I don't even know what the hardware even is yet.

bump I guess

Hi there.

Hey Bifibro

So, anyone remembers the Quadra 650 I was talking about for sale at 300€?
No wonder the price is that ridiculous, it's a woman selling it, kek.

Never played Alley Cat on a orange phosphor screen, must be great, the cheese would actually be the right colour.

i that F3 or Fallout 4?

Oh yeah, working with CRTs...

Try calibrating one, you have to move the little magnets on the tube, trying not to electrocute yourself.

Neither, they had not invented microchips in Fallout and this has one.

Hi bro
That cheese thing... True Story.

No work today!!!

Awesome
>German beer
Man, I miss those

I already had enough... Nah fuck it, some more for shits and giggles.

Kek, I loved that in Germany that you could buy a sixpack of good beer for almost nothing and just sit in a park and enjoy it without getting into trouble.

That's really nice! Moar?

Will we ever be able to log onto the Sup Forums BBS?

Nice L40, the other two are breddy good too.

Sitting here with the production manager of the company where i'm CIO. He runs some kind of just for fun Pub. 1 beer / 1€.

Kek, that's epic

looks 386-ish, 1991 to 1992 though the hard drive looks older

try pulling out the hard drive and just plugging it into power and nothing else, see if it spins up then, some systems don't like to spin up their drives until after POST has cleared

also post pics of it, I want to know who made it, looks kind of seagate-esque but I can't figure it out

I didn't know landline phones could be so stylish. The only ones my family ever had were the old tank-like Bell phones (pic related) or some generic curvy chinese plastic thing.

Best thing I own.

England here. I'm jelly

here she is
i dug it out of a thrift store about a month and a half ago
>even had a disk for 95 in it

Come over Buddy, we have enough.

have this same case with a 486SLC shitbox build in it, pretty nice look to them desu

can that run linux? does it support 32mb ram?

Not him, but yes.

Kek, it's like buying a car with a full tank of gas

I'm just going to ask my mom if I can stay over. I should be there in a bit

dat screen tho

If you need to ask your Mom, it would be something weird... I'm the youngest male here and i'm 39... But the Girls who joined our Party are both just 20. One of them is a Kindergarten teacher. So no problem, come and stay over.

Sounds fucking fantastic. I'm only 20 mins away

hurry, the girls are usually already taken.

Keep them warm. I'll be there to cuck the faggots who 'claimed' them

Yes, that's a good attitude. Nothing to lose, at least there is beer.

I'll keep them warm from the inside until you get here.

Btw. This thread needs some pics.
The perfect numpad - oldschool POS keyboard with blue cherries.

Thx brah, I knew you wouldn't let me down.

Saying that. I'm gonna head back actually and get some sleep. Goodnight m8

Is the Sup Forumsretro irc the same one as it used to be?

sure, but why would you want something so useless

>Do not make illegal copies of this
Don't worry, I won't, I'll just upload it to WinWorldPC

>edgy
???
that shit could barely run X, let alone any applications on GNU/Linux worth using, and the small pool of gimped shitware you'll find on lightweight distros (that are built for a Pentium II, not a 486) will more than likely have much better and more efficient contemporary equivalents on whatever operating system the hardware is actually built to run

Seems to be from Googling. Here it is for those who don't know: [email protected].

I'll be joining later on my Apple //e.

What happened to #Sup Forumsretro? That channel was pretty nice when I was there 2 years ago.

This is the one I remember, I think.
#retro seems like it'd be a general purpose retro irc, which isn't bad, I guess.

i blew my load the first time i saw it

Yes user, vectors are awesome.

>ATARISTFU
>STFU

Nice!

Thanks, user!

Was #Sup Forumsretro on rizon.net or something else? Do you think it's still up and running?

Do you think it could run something like BB demo like that?

Hmm, I'll try.

Try and post screenshot! That would be awesome

On it. I'll post if it works. Having some issues downloading it, but I think I can fix that fairly quickly.

Oh, and I'm trying it on Raspbian, not Arch.

Awesome! I just tried it myself, it works but it gets a little slow after the beginning.

Sweet! I tried it too.

What system is that? //e?

That look badass, I knew the characters of the //e would fit it well, nice and crisp.

>What system is that? //e?
No, it's an eighty-eighty-eight.

>eighty-eighty-eight

Huh, never heard of that before.

I'm installing aa-lib now to give it a go.

He means an XT.
Or clone.

>Huh, never heard of that before.
eighty = 80
eighty eight = 88

8088, PC-XT clone.

Ah, got it.

Cool! That makes sense.

>TFW I want to get some more retro electronics
>TFW I don't have the room

I need to get rid of some old shit that isn't really retro either by selling it or donating it if it's still good.

I have an old Optiplex 330 that had 1 GB of ram and a Pentium D, that I upgraded with the 771 mod stickers to a Xeon E5440, 4 GB of ram, and an SSD. Still working on the right GPU for it though.
Does that count?

Or just wait until it is old enough to be retro and have a head start.

>I don't have the room
I'm squeezing tables into the middle of the room so I could just set up my shitboxes

That's something I wish I would have been thinking about 20 years ago, all those amazing computers I would still have.

p0rn

you found the joke.

Yeah, it was on rizon.

kek

Try displaying a portrait of Steve Jobs in ASCII on your Apple //e

Is there a way to do that in the terminal? I guess I could use aalib. I'll try it with Steve Wozniak when I get home.

Oh yeah aa-lib should work too.
I guess you could also just make a text file and convert a picture with those online converters to ASCII (right number of lines and letters of course) and just print it to the screen.

Also try figlet or toilet and cowsay! Those would be neat on a screen like that!

Great news everybody!

The Centris 650 that sold near me for 300€, I managed to get the price down to 130€!
Gonna pick it up tomorrow. Computer, monitor, keyboard, mouse, some extra stuff and they are all in great shape!

I've actually done cowsay! I'm not at home right now, but when I'm home, I'll try it.

Here's the Mac and Zenith properly set up.

Plan is to use them mainly as dumb terminals to a Pi or something else over serial, and just use CLI-based programs.

No, plenty of PentD folks out here.

Sweet. That's what I use my //e for mostly.

Tested some higher screen modes

That's a really nifty setup!