When did Microsoft start going downhill?

When did Microsoft start going downhill?

I think back to the glorious days of the original Xbox, Windows XP and compare it to now with Windows 10, Xbox One, and Microsoft phones and realize how so much has changed for the worst.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Microsoft_Corp.
youtube.com/watch?v=sPv8PPl7ANU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>glorious days of the original Xbox, Windows XP
XP was pretty good but the original Xbox sucked. That's why it was the poorest selling console that generation.

Probably around windows 8, so about 2012

when they replaced the workforce with indians

This entire thread exact same posts exact same topic. OP samefagging.

want to try again in english, rajesh?

Microsoft went downhill when they tried to copy Apple. Proof:

- Vista/7 Aero style copied OSX
- Windows Mobile 6.5 was the embarassing attempt to copy the look of the iPhone and WP7 proved they still hadn't got it
- Zune was a silly attempt to copy the iPod when the iPod itself was already becoming irrelevant thanks to smartphones
- tried to outdo Apple's marketing team with their "I'm a pc and Windows 7 was my idea" campaign & the laptop challenge or whatever it was called

bonus embarassment: tried to copy Google with Bing and released the god-awful "Bing goes the internet" song

If I had to pick a year, it would be either 2011 or 2012. I can't explain it in words, but the overall quality of Microsoft's products started dropping right there. It felt like they were no longer targeting professionals and academics..or hell, even your "computer guy", but the average user. They began simplifying their OSes. Windows Mobile 8 was kinda a mess as well. It had quality programming, but it really felt like a step down from 7. 7 felt like an actual SMART OS. You were more or less getting the Windows experience for your phone.

8's design was really good, but the stuff behind the scenes got MASSIVELY watered down to make it appealing for the average consumer.

This

Yeah, I agree. I built my PC in 2011 and ever since then its felt like Microsoft has stopped trying. The general OS aesthetic really fell apart after 7.

Windows 11 needs to be what 7 was.

>inb4 10 is the last one ever
>Microsoft will reverse course for money

The Xbox One is pretty good all in all, Phil Spencer is a great leader, wish he was in charge of the whole of Microsoft and not just the gaymur division. Maybe MS in general wouldn't be shit then.

>yfw MS developed Metro/flat meme UI and people started to copy them

I think this is the result of the nowaday policy, everything must be simplified, locked away so the average retard cant fuck it up, cant complain that the product doesnt work, etc. The world dramatically changed over the last 10-16 years, consumerism taken over the minds, just look at whats happened to phones. They become some desirable status symbol, old rich retards buy iPhones just to keep up with the "trend", no rational thinking whatsoever almost in no purchase decision

Isn't it funny how, in a world of ultra HD and vr, microsoft creates an interface better suited for 256 colors?

with xp when they tried to copy mac's interface with playskool aesthetics

it was such a lesser product than 2000
what a joke

>When did Microsoft start going downhill?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Microsoft_Corp.

Ballmer

Since this piece of shit was released. And ever since then it went just worse and worse.

you mean shilling. for crapple, prolly

You forgot this, user:
youtube.com/watch?v=sPv8PPl7ANU

What's wrong with windows phones? I just use mine for texting, calling, social media, and web browsing when I'm not at home.

>Windows 11

Not gonna happen.

Windows 8 was quite alright, as long you replaced the horrible start menu with start8/classic shell. If it was actually feasible going back to windows 8 from 10 I'd do so in a heartbeat. Windows 10 is the worst version of windows ever. ME and Vista were bad but it was due to incompetence but with Windows 10 it's pure malice and utter contempt for their users.

Nah, it was garbage. No SKU to support both NFS and WMC, ShadowCopy gone, ClearType broken, and worse of them all, forced desktop composition.

>If it was actually feasible going back to windows 8 from 10 I'd do so in a heartbeat
What actually stops you from doing so? Get the 8.1 iso (last one is from Nov 2014), install it, use product key (or Microsoft Toolkit - KMS activation; use Enterprise for this).

when they started doing this shit

Yeah that's funny you said that, he made them a shitton of money.

MS has always been shit. There was just no other competant alternative. And for the record, you might enjoy the UI of XP, but it was trash when it first came out. 3 SP's later, it was OK at best.

Microsoft goes back and fowards on their ideas by the minute, we'll see how long they stick to their "Windows 10 is the last Windows" plan.

Everything after windows 2000 was bad
That was the time when they decided that software would have to be "very user friendly" and also added online activation and other trash

Last good Windows OS was 3.1.

>yfw the "metro" design aka flat control elements existed even in fucking .net 2.0 from 2005

when the illuminati took control of the company

It started going downhill when newfags learned they could get internet praise by talking shit about everything Microsoft.

Uh, the gamecube and dreamcast

They may release an OS after W10 fails but it certainly won't be called Windows.

When they got stupid and tried to challenge Apple and Google in the mobile space instead of doubling down on being the enterprise desktop/laptop OS of choice.

Now they've run off a significant chunk of their bank baby to OSX, RHEL, and Ubuntu. Their plan to save face is integrating Ubuntu shell, but that's only going to staunch the bleeding short term. The infection has already set in and its just going to get worse.

The more enterprise comes under the screws of a flagging global economy the more they're going to need to cut costs by going with Linux. The more the class divide between rich and poor the more android will dominate the poor and apple will continue to exist as a permanent walled garden for the rich.

Windows is, perhaps, the best personification of the corporate middle class western bougie. As that demographic is systemically destroyed, so too will Microsoft and related businesses fade out of existence.

>Xbox
>Windows XP

I want the 2000's nostalgia to end.

Use your downgrade rights if you have 10 Pro/Enterprise. 8.1 will let you activate just fine with your current key.