Macbooks

ITT we say positive things about the MacBook

Other urls found in this thread:

bountysource.com/issues/35422234-macbook8-1-12-inch-early-2015-keyboard-and-trackpad-don-t-work
gnu.org/proprietary/malware-apple.html
truesecdev.wordpress.com/2015/04/09/hidden-backdoor-api-to-root-privileges-in-apple-os-x/
telegraph.co.uk/technology/3358134/Apples-Jobs-confirms-iPhone-kill-switch.html
npr.org/2010/11/22/131511381/wipeout-when-your-company-kills-your-iphone
arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/05/apple-says-game-about-palestinian-child-isnt-a-game
ifixit.org/blog/7401/ifixit-app-pulled/
mashable.com/2014/02/07/apple-app-tracks-drone-strikes/
theguardian.com/technology/2011/dec/01/siri-abortion-apple-unintenional-omissions
theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/22/stagefright-flaw-ios-iphone-imessage-apple
theintercept.com/2016/04/12/apple-bug-exposed-chat-history-with-a-single-click/
discussions.apple.com/thread/7256669?tstart0=
theguardian.com/technology/2015/oct/27/apple-music-subscribers-siri-questions
blog.vellumatlanta.com/2016/05/04/apple-stole-my-music-no-seriously/
web.archive.org/web/20160608183145/http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/14/uninstall_quicktime_for_windows/
theguardian.com/money/2016/feb/05/error-53-apple-iphone-software-update-handset-worthless-third-party-repair
computerworld.com/article/2541250/apple-mac/update--apple-plays-hardball--upgrade--bricks--unlocked-iphones.html
theguardian.com/technology/2014/dec/04/apple-deleted-music-ipods-rivals-steve-jobs
apple.stackexchange.com/questions/49951/how-can-i-download-free-apps-without-registering-an-apple-idcool
support.apple.com/en-us/HT202033
theguardian.com/technology/2014/sep/01/naked-celebrity-hack-icloud-backup-jennifer-lawrence
gnu.org/philosophy/surveillance-vs-democracy.html#digitalcash
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They are pretty.

it has "s", "a", "g", and "e" keys

i like its detachable display that doubles as a tablet so I don't have to buy two devices

I REALLY like the touchpad. And the OS looks nice, however I'm not the biggest Apple fan.

you a SEGA fan or somethin?

Long battery life. Touchpad. Propitiatory retina screen. Unix.

They're generally better for the money than similarly priced Windows laptops. However, they're shit if you ever want to run anything but OS X on them. Apple even tries to tell you what Windows versions you can run. I had a bitch of a time getting Win 10 running on my A1226 -- Apple thought that with a C2D, 4GB of memory and an SSD the best it could do was 32bit Win 7. Linux was even harder to get working in EFI mode.

see

Retina screen, OS X

light
good screen (glossy is a plus)

if you need resourceful tasks, just use your workstation.

Build quality, display, touchpad and OS X.

Why would you bother running something else?

The screen's great, the battery lasts a while to my understanding, the use of USB-C as the charging port means chargers are way fucking cheaper (which is great given how easily Magsafe chargers seem to break according to reputation). The touchpad is fucking immaculate, probably the best I've used on any laptop. The speakers are probably the best around on a laptop in its size category. In the event of an emergency, it can be fastened to a pole and sharpened for use as an axe. It's extremely tiny footprint and passive cooling solution effectively give it fewer mechanical points of failure than any other laptop and it performs well enough to serve as a perfectly adequate companion to a well specced workstation tower.

Overall, decent device. Only comparable machines I've seen are the Razer Blade Stealth, XPS 13, and that one Zenbook. Pretty much everything else actually costs more than an equivalent specced Macbook or Macbook Pro.

USB-C for charging is retarded compared to MagSafe.

It is a good indicator for being a retarded person

Mind explaining why rather than just making a plain statement with nothing to back it?

>pretty much has the BEST Unix OS out there
>the fucking touchpad. nothing can compete.
>battery life
>retina screen
>brightness
>firewire port for easy TV capturing
he said NICE THINGS, user

>firewire

Most laptops don't have this.

Mac's made in this decade don't either

The retina display, mechanical keyboard, and battery life are all great on the 12" Macbook.

While a driver for the custom SPI (needed for trackpad and keyboard) wasn't originally available for Linux, people are working on it and making meaningful progress.

I look forward to running GNU/Linux on the 12" Macbook.

bountysource.com/issues/35422234-macbook8-1-12-inch-early-2015-keyboard-and-trackpad-don-t-work

the keyboard, OS, and screen are great

Why not run them in a VM?

I think they're nice but I just don't want one for some reason. I'd consider it if they had ones in black anodised aluminium. (dbrand do anodised cases but it's like an extra $700 on top of the already pricey laptop)

I have a Surface Pro 4 though which is a nice alternative to a macbook and for once it's a windows laptop which isn't shitty plastic trash. Also the trackpad is almost as good as a macbook which is a big improvement over the usual ones you find on laptops.

i dont like how the keys feel when you press them. clicky and they bottom out

literally the worst computer ever made

Not him, but Magsafe was probably Apple's most original innovation from the past few years. You can finally charge your laptop without fear of having your laptop pulled of the table when someone trips over a cable.
I use my Macbook all over the place, so it's pretty useful.

Unibody is pretty cool, I guess

Well yeah, Magsafe is a really neat connector and all, but I'm not seeing what makes using USB type C for charging a laptop bad. The cable and charger are both easier and cheaper to replace than Magsafe will ever be, and they're only going to get cheaper.

Like forgive me if I'm genuinely misinformed, but isn't it a pretty common issue for Magsafe cables to come apart rather quickly?

>Mind explaining why rather than just making a plain statement with nothing to back it?
MagSafe is more durable and will disconnect if strained. USB-C is not much more durable than USB micro and will not disconnect when strained. It's a serious downgrade. They should add data to the MagSafe port, so you can use it to dock, though.

This.

>but isn't it a pretty common issue for Magsafe cables to come apart rather quickly?
Only if you're a fucking oaf who does things like run over the cables. I have a mid 2009 MacBook Pro and that still has the original charger.

It's really good for finding other homosexuals, kind of like grindr.

retina screen is great
os x feels like a more polished linux
free os upgrades

You can sell it to some chump and buy one of these, have a far better computing experience, and have cash left over to invest.

Yea let me know how that 400 dollar investment goes.

>Lenovo

fuck off

The screen size is perfection, the PPI is great, and the aspect ratio is the best any modern laptop has.

>Implying every bit of cash doesn't add up to your eventual fortune
Pajeet plz

dude, everybody knows thinkpad went to shit when they were bought by the Chinese. Clueless Sup Forumstards back in the day just bought into the hype generated from when it was handled by a competent manufacturer and it's stuck ever since

x220 and t420 are still ibm style senpai after that they fucked up the keyboard and now the new ones are shit

The keyboard is utter garbage and the battery life is mediocre.

The screen is fine, but I can't judge it since my eyes are bad.

You can't judge the keyboard and battery life either because you don't own one.

Man i'm not him but i've typed on that shitty butterfly keyboard and its just as shit as the rest of apples keyboards, they are all just shitty garbage over spaced chiclit keyboards

Thin, big screen... never used one before so I don't know what else.

k

Not that guy, but I don't own one because of that keyboard. It's possible to try these things without having owned one.

It's utter garbage. I'll stick with the rMBP, unless they fuck up that keyboard with their butterfly nonsense.

inb4 "you get used to it" -- stop it. It's okay to admit that apple made a fucking mistake. They still make good shit, but it's not that keyboard.

Works on my machine

The keyboard is great though

Your argument lacks any value. Lots of things work, and a lot of them are garbage.

Depends what kind of typist you are.
If you're the type that slams on the keys and bottom out mechanical keyboards, you're gonna hate it, but if you're a light typer, it will be just fine.

>He fell for the mechanical keyboard meme

lol you people are bigger sheep than macfags

Or if all you do is type twitter and facebook posts, I'm sure it would work just fine.

Really good screens for laptops their size, and they're also really light.

I don't have one because the keyboard isn't for me, I still prefer the longer travel scissor keyboards.

Imho the only thing bad about macbooks is that they are way overpriced considering the specs.

>A1226
>Core 2 Duo
Found your issue.

It has a simple port configuration.

None of those annoying and unsightly "other"ports that no one uses anyway. What the hell are those rectangular ones with the little tree for, anyway?

i honestly can't find a single thing

They support Windows, senpai

That's the MBP -- this thread is just about the Macbook.

Related thread, quick question.
Will i be able to run windows 10 on a late 2010 macbook air? I do not require it to do anything more than basic browsing and just maybe youtube and libreoffice.

>i like its detachable display that doubles as a tablet so I don't have to buy two devices
Have you ever even used a Surface (or similar device)? Windows sucks as a tablet OS.

I just got this laptop with the M7 and 512gb upgrade.

Been looking at the XPS 15, that gpu tho..

While I generally don't like Apple computers, nothing looks as good as a MacBook Pro to me.
My dads a huge Apple fanboy, and while he's never owned a MacBook, his shilling rubbed off on me. He wants one because they look good.
I'm in the process of building him a case modded G5 with decent specs so he can play the new Mechwarrior and have his dream desktop.

I mean, if that's all you want to do, just install xubuntu desu

I'll start with something actually decent about macs.

The machined aluminum is fucking great. Metal laptops are super rare and generally aren't anywhere near as tough.

More scratch resistant? Sure, but I don't give a fuck about that, they take drop tests pretty well.

>Will i be able to run windows 10 on a late 2010 macbook air?
Yes, in fact you could run on Windows 10 on the very first Macbook from 2006, even though the latest OSX it could run is Snow Leopard.

the macbook is actually the best GPU performance for the specs, since literally only Apple has hardware acceleration for Intel Graphics.
If the keyboard was any good I would pick one up.

I just want it to read PDFs or long form news articles/blag posts.
Using a table for complex tasks like organizing your mp3 collection would just be plain retarded.

But the point of running windows is to trigger the rabid macfags at my university (if that is the correct term in english considering that education systems are different in every country)

If you wanna trigger them, rice it out to look like Windows 95

Oh thatis just absolutely devious! But how would i accomplish this? rainmeter?

You're really retarded

I use a mechanical keyboard with clears and I like the keyboard just fine. takes some getting used to, that's it.

Whip that shit out at a girls house and she'll go to bed

Girls don't care what kind of laptop you have and if they do the relationship won't end well anyways.

You're living the meme.

>being THIS oblivious

fuck you faggot I'm not an oaf i just like to drink and smoke.

The only good thing about it is the battery life. Everything else is pure shit. It struggles to keep 10 firefox tabs open and overheats while watching a movie on netflix. The one port jewery is a pain in the ass when you have to buy an adapter for everything and anything you wanna plug into it. Keyboard is terrible and I used a different one when I still had that overpriced piece of chinkshit. It also wouldn't charge with the lid closed. OS X is also horrible. Trackpad was a meme. I give it a 1/10. Worst $1400 I've ever spent. I'm glad ebay exists or I would've been stuck with it.

I went back to using my Thickbad T400 from 2009 because it just works. Never again will I fall for the thin and light meme.

>It struggles to keep 10 firefox tabs open and overheats while watching a movie on netfliX

Stopped reading here. Completely false.

Show us your craptop with a timestamp or gtfo pajeet.

The OS is a pretty good Unix system when paired with macports or homebrew. You're out of luck if you don't like Aqua though.

I've never used the MacBook but have done more with shittier devices, I find what you're saying very hard to believe.

Looking at it doesn't make you gay

The problem is OS X.

I was using OS X on said shittier device.

OS X used to be good. Go buy a newer macbook with a newer version. You'll see what I mean.

What recent changes have made OS X bad? I don't mean different, I mean bad. To tell you the truth, I don't think you've ever used OS X, but I could be wrong.

SIP
Disk Utility's GUI was raped
Poor performance on even newer Macs --- Reduced battery life and responsiveness on my 2013 rMBP
Too much iOS integration
Removed XQuartz

What's disk utility? Who cares about that nerd stuff, the iOS integration is cool lol!

Apple's Operating Systems Are Malwaregnu.org/proprietary/malware-apple.html

Malware means software designed to function in ways that mistreat or harm the user. (This does not include accidental errors.) This page explains how the software in Apple's computer products are malware.

Malware and nonfree software are two different issues. The difference between free software and nonfree software is in whether the users have control of the program or vice versa. It's not directly a question of what the program does when it runs. However, in practice nonfree software is often malware, because the developer's awareness that the users would be powerless to fix any malicious functionalities tempts the developer to impose some.

Apple Back Doors

Mac OS X had an intentional local back door for 4 years, which could be exploited by attackers to gain root privileges.
truesecdev.wordpress.com/2015/04/09/hidden-backdoor-api-to-root-privileges-in-apple-os-x/

The iPhone has a back door that allows Apple to remotely delete apps which Apple considers “inappropriate”. Jobs said it's OK for Apple to have this power because of course we can trust Apple.
telegraph.co.uk/technology/3358134/Apples-Jobs-confirms-iPhone-kill-switch.html

The iPhone has a back door for remote wipe. It's not always enabled, but users are led into enabling it without understanding.
npr.org/2010/11/22/131511381/wipeout-when-your-company-kills-your-iphone

SIP can be disabled and Disk Utility's the only gripe I can agree with, although diskutil still works fine so it's not that bad. I can't comment on battery life as I've only used post-10.5 on desktops but it's still a great OS.

Apple Censorship

Apple censors games, banning some games from the cr…app store because of which political points they suggest. Some political points are apparently considered acceptable.
arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/05/apple-says-game-about-palestinian-child-isnt-a-game

Apple banned a program from the App Store because its developers committed the enormity of disassembling some iThings.
ifixit.org/blog/7401/ifixit-app-pulled/

Apple rejected an app that displayed the locations of US drone assassinations, giving various excuses. Each time the developers fixed one “problem”, Apple complained about another. After the fifth rejection, Apple admitted it was censoring the app based on the subject matter.

As of 2015, Apple systematically bans apps that endorse abortion rights or would help women find abortions.
mashable.com/2014/02/07/apple-app-tracks-drone-strikes/

This particular political slant affects other Apple services.
theguardian.com/technology/2011/dec/01/siri-abortion-apple-unintenional-omissions

Apple Insecurity

A vulnerability in Apple's Image I/O API allowed an attacker to execute malacious code from any application which uses this API to render a certain kind of image file.
theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/22/stagefright-flaw-ios-iphone-imessage-apple

A bug in the iThings Messages app allowed a malicious web site to extract all the user's messaging history.
theintercept.com/2016/04/12/apple-bug-exposed-chat-history-with-a-single-click/

>SIP can be disabled
Yea, but I have to reboot or look through some menus to find the option to re-enable root. It's annoying. I wish they would have put the manpower into fixing actual vulnerabilities. There was NO reason at all to fuck with Disk Utility, so diskutil still being fine isn't much consolation.

Apple Interference

Various proprietary programs often mess up the user's system. They are like sabotage, but they are not grave enough to qualify for the word “sabotage”. Nonetheless, they are nasty and wrong. This section describes examples of Apple committing interference.

Apple forced millions of iThings to download a system upgrade without asking the users. Apple did not forcibly install the upgrade but the downloading alone caused lots of trouble.
discussions.apple.com/thread/7256669?tstart0=

Apple Pressuring

Proprietary companies can take advantage of their customers by imposing arbitrary limits to their use of the software. This section reports examples of hard sell and other unjust commercial tactics by Apple.

Apple Siri refuses to give you information about music charts if you're not an Apple Music subscriber.
theguardian.com/technology/2015/oct/27/apple-music-subscribers-siri-questions

Apple Sabotage

The wrongs in this section are not precisely malware, since they do not involve making the program that runs in a way that hurts the user. But they are a lot like malware, since they are technical Apple actions that harm to the users of specific Apple software.

The Apple Music client program scans the user's file system for music files, copies them to an Apple server, and deletes them.
blog.vellumatlanta.com/2016/05/04/apple-stole-my-music-no-seriously/

Apple stops users from fixing the security bugs in Quicktime for Windows, while refusing to fix them itself.
web.archive.org/web/20160608183145/http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/14/uninstall_quicktime_for_windows/

iOS version 9 for iThings sabotages them irreparably if they were repaired by someone other than Apple. Apple eventually backed off from this policy under criticism from the users. However, it has not acknowledged that this was wrong.
theguardian.com/money/2016/feb/05/error-53-apple-iphone-software-update-handset-worthless-third-party-repair

An Apple firmware “upgrade” bricked iPhones that had been unlocked. The “upgrade” also deactivated applications not approved by Apple censorship. All this was apparently intentional.
computerworld.com/article/2541250/apple-mac/update--apple-plays-hardball--upgrade--bricks--unlocked-iphones.html

Apple deleted from iPods the music that users had got from internet music stores that competed with iTunes.
theguardian.com/technology/2014/dec/04/apple-deleted-music-ipods-rivals-steve-jobs

Apple Surveillance

Users cannot make an Apple ID (necessary to install even gratis apps) without giving a valid email address and receiving the verification code Apple sends to it.
apple.stackexchange.com/questions/49951/how-can-i-download-free-apps-without-registering-an-apple-idcool

iThings automatically upload to Apple's servers all the photos and videos they make.

iCloud Photo Library stores every photo and video you take, and keeps them up to date on all your devices. Any edits you make are automatically updated everywhere. [...]

(From Apple's iCloud information as accessed on 24 Sep 2015.) The iCloud feature is activated by the startup of iOS. The term “cloud” means “please don't ask where.”
support.apple.com/en-us/HT202033

There is a way to deactivate iCloud, but it's active by default so it still counts as a surveillance functionality.

Unknown people apparently took advantage of this to get nude photos of many celebrities. They needed to break Apple's security to get at them, but NSA can access any of them through PRISM.
theguardian.com/technology/2014/sep/01/naked-celebrity-hack-icloud-backup-jennifer-lawrence
gnu.org/philosophy/surveillance-vs-democracy.html#digitalcash