/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that is required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

watchguy.co.uk/comparison-sea-gull-st2130-eta-2824-2-peacock-sl3000/
motorcitywatchworks.com/Services.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

what does /wt/ think of seagull?

What timepiece is Antonov wearing?

Do those tiny dots actually do anything?

The lume dots? They glow, duh. Use your eyes m8.

What's your favorite Seiko under $500?
No Seiko 5, please.

You don't say dipshit. I'm asking whether lume dots that tiny make a difference at all.

Shall we continue the Sinn fight ITT?

Most of their watches are ugly. Looks aside they make decent mechanical movements with hacking/handwind and other features. ST2130 is a direct clone of 2824 as well but much cheaper. Their watches are meh, but their movements are very good value for price.

Are you asking for advice? Because my favourite Seiko under $500 is a Seiko 5.

A difference with what? You see them in the dark.

They glow so it's easier to read what hour/minute the hands are pointing at when there's no light. What else would they do?

The new version of this with 4R15.

Orange Monster

yeah they will be clearly visible in the dark for an hour ish

ETA are overpriced, and the 2824 is just a modernized 70's movement, but that chink clone is rough as fuck. Also I see dirt specs, not a good sign if that is a factory photo.

Holy shit, do you people have autism? They're tiny. Less lume = less light = worse legibility. Do I really have to spell it out this much? DO THOSE TINY DOTS WORK IRL?
OR
IS
THAT
TINY
AMOUNT
NOT
BRIGHT
ENOUGH
?

Thank you.

Do you think they would put lume dots that can't be seen on a watch?

>Also I see dirt specs, not a good sign if that is a factory photo.
Not a factory photo, just an old one lying around. The seagull is a bit rougher than a real 2824 but overall pretty acceptable. There are other asian clones of the 2824 though and the Seagull one is by far the best.

watchguy.co.uk/comparison-sea-gull-st2130-eta-2824-2-peacock-sl3000/

Yes, if it's shit lume, or they know a lume-less watch would sell less.

no
you were the stupid one all along user

>ask a vague question
>sperg out when you don't get the answer you're looking for

>watch manufacturers don't pull pointless bullshit on their models all the time, even "MUH NIPPON FOLDED A THOUSAND TIMES 316L TAMAHAGANE HAUTE HOROLOGY" companies
Boy, you're a fucking desperate idiot, just stop posting already.

>whether lume dots that tiny make a difference at all.
>vague
Get tested.

new one has 4R36 not 4R15

>Do those tiny dots actually do anything?
>not vague
You don't even need testing, you need help straight away.

He might have meant 6R15. There are Monster variants that have the 6R15 movement, SBDC025 and SBDC023.

They were clearly glowing on OP's photo, what the fuck would I be asking about, you moron?

Valjoux 7750. Opinions?

Workhorse "tractor" movement. Works great but bulky as fuck. Hand wind mechanism also wears out the gears and eventually requires service so if you have one, try to keep it running from automatic winding. Most watches with it are pretty thick.

Thanks

RIP citizen automatics. This watch now discontinued.

There is no fight. We established last thread that Sinns are macfag watches.

>They were clearly doing something
>Let's ask if they do anything
Yes, that IS the dilemma, now isn't it?

You have to have the high ground before you insult someone.

>ETA are overpriced, and the 2824 is just a modernized 70's movement

Yes, because three of the best volume produced automatic movements of all time were'nt developed in the 1970s before the quartz revolution, after which everyone stopped giving the slightest fuck about functional mechanical movement design.

Go look up the Omega 56x/75x, ETA 2892 and Seiko 52xx you ignorant horological peasant.

I have with my own eyes seem a chink 2824 that was indistinguishable from a swiss one, that was sitting right next to it.
It depends on how much effort they go through

Thinking about getting one of these next, maybe the sexy carbon fiber one instead.

Does this sound right?

Hallo, wanneer is dit horloge geproduceerd ?

>I will never own a collection as impressive as lawyer's
>it is the one true dream that keeps popping into my apatic mind
Why live Sup Forums?

If it means anything, he has a very average sized penis. Completely average.

How'd you know??

Trying to find a black 37-40mm Timex Weekender Fairfield

Do they only produce that in 41mm? I don't want the face to be as big as my damn wrist.

Post his collection

Disgusting

I win this for $30 including shipping..

is it okay guys??

Very nice deal, especially for the twin quartz movement.

-_-

Shit, fucking Google

What about this

Wann wurde diese Uhr produziert ?

I know this guy from malaysia sell genuine seiko vintage for a while...

this guy is reputable seller

I sure as hell wouldn't complain about paying $30 for that

Post a picture of the movement

I just win it from auction in facebook..
tomorrow he post it..

but I already buy from him 3 times before this... all genuine not redial and refurbished like from india

Can anyone identify which model this is?

Do you think it's worth spending a lot of money upgrading cheap watches? I'm hesitant to get a Super Engineer, which costs $80, for a Ray that I got for $120.

He has never posted his whole collection in a single pic, but what he has posted easily reaches the 200k dollars mark.

He hasn't been here recently, though.

You think that's bad? I have one on my PW-3001 which cost only $28. It's not like you can't use it on a different watch some day.

is fossil quality decent for the money?

Except that:

>Sinn make among the hardest cases in the industry
>Sinn make great efforts to increase longevity, by eliminating moisture in their cases, and reducing the need for lubricants with Diapal
>Sinn make their advances in technology available, instead of flaunting them in prototypes

So you, and that Steinhart shill, can fuck right off. Sinn are not another company simply slotting ETA movements into good-looking cases, they're a serious engineering firm who invest heavily in development.

sinns look like absolute garbage

>Do you think they would put lume dots that can't be seen on a watch?
I have lumed watches that I cannot read in the dark.

There's a reason why ISO diver certification demands "legibility at 30cm in total darkness", and not "HAZ LOOM DOTS". Small dots of lume are not legible in total darkness because your eyes are constantly altering their focal length.

>Auction in facebook

I am for the first time looking to get myself a nice watch.

Victorinox 241493

Is this one of the best I can get for the price?

In short : no

English is clearly not that guys first language, leave him alone we all know what he meant.

Why don't you own a tourbillon on your car Sup Forums?

If anyone tried to bring something breitling in my car I'd kick them out

I thought that not long ago, but they've grown on me.

Mechanical clock.
In a vehicle that may not be driven for days at a time.
What's the power reserve on that piece of shit?

Post some of the pics, then.

Whats the price?

It's electronic the rotor is magnetic around the edges, and is spun using small electrical pulses sent from the 24V battery. The clock itself cost $3000 to build, which is kinda ridiculous since most cars cost like $50-$100k.

That would actually be kinda sexy if it weren't for those inlaid diamonds. Makes it look so tacky.

That is a joke surely.
"Hey guys let's take this generic eta movement and add a magnet around the outside of the rotor"
$3000 later......
You glorious swiss pretending to be english bastards.
Bet that's the top seller keeping sheitling afloat.

They are swarovski crystals if those were real diamonds the car would cost 10 million instead of only 5 million. Brietling did this to reduce the price so people can afford it.

SRP777K1

>if those were real diamonds the car would cost 10 million instead of only 5 million

Diamonds don't work like that.

Good that Breitlinshit thinks of the poor peasants. Very nice of them.

You fuckers need to realize that there is no watch on THIS PLANET that beats a Seiko diver for price, quality, durability & repairability. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just a deluded fuck, brainwashed by other deluded fucks. Hence, the opinions of you deluded fucks is not important. Have a nice day.

Vostok diver beats a Seiko diver at the same price simply because Seiko don't make divers that cheap
Checkm8 nigger

>repairability

My local watchmaker wanted to charge $125 to service my SKX007. That's about 60% of what I payed to buy the watch initially. Fuck that I'm just going to wear it until it stops working and toss it.

>Vostok
>ISO Diver Certified
pick one

you got ripped off m8. don't just hand money to the first guy you see.

>you got ripped off m8. don't just hand money to the first guy you see.

I didn't actually go through with it. Also he's the only one in my area so I either have to go with him or ship it off to somebody which I can't imagine would be any cheaper.

Your good friend from India ,Aditya has lost weight.

>being this loyal to a brand
It seems the brainwashed deluded fuck here is you.

Mudman on an Indian wrist :^) meme potential supreme.

Don't listen to him $125 is the standard rate.

motorcitywatchworks.com/Services.html

In retrospect Rolex just charged me $500 to do a complete maintenance including a new mainspring and COSC calibration. Although they did polish the light scratch They didn't even replace the bezel/crystal with a scratch running through them. Consider yourself lucky. Look at this thing, its like a new watch! Don't mind the Seikos...

The last Seiko diver I bought (a "J" model, btw) had misaligned hands that were so bad that I had to send it off to get fixed.

What's the poo resistance on these?

Congrats on the weight loss, btw.

What's a good band for water contact?

So sick of taking my watch off to wash my hands and shit like that.
Currently have a leather dress band, which shouldn't touch water, and a nylon NATO that gets wet for about 30 mins after contact.

About 50 designations :p and thanks.

Unless you're a doctor or working with food, you can generally just wash your hands and not go up onto your wrists.

Rubber or metal

Is your body ready for tomorrow guys?

what's special about tomorrow?

V2 of this watch is released. Only $330, the movement is kinda shit though. And its made in China but it looks cool right?

I've been out of the micro diver game to not know what that particular watch is but I guess it looks nice enough for $330. Not a fan of the 6 o'clock date, though. In the world of micros I'm probably more excited by the Aevig Balaur, not sure if I'm going to actually order one since I'd prefer the internal bezel to be minutes and not hours.

>the movement is kinda shit though

I own a watch with the same movement and it's fine. Obviously a 6R15 or Miyota 9015 would be nicer but they would also jack the price up more.

Helm Vanatu version 2

Hirsch, DiModell, and other higher-end brands offer "sport" or "performance" water-resistant leather straps in the neighborhood of $40 and up.

Luminox and Tag Heuer I have. But Nomos or A. Lange & Söhne would be the 2 I would like

Recently got a SARB017 Alpinist, did i make a good choice?