notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Ideapad-100S-Notebook-Review.152010.0.html
userbenchmark.com/UserRun/1472884
userbenchmark.com/UserRun/1148393
userbenchmark.com/UserRun/1278981
anandtech.com/show/10489/spot-the-denverton-atom-c3000-silicon-on-display
anandtech.com/show/10490/more-atom-apollo-lake-on-display
cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel Atom x7-Z8700 @ 1.60GHz
cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel Core m5-6Y54 @ 1.10GHz
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-m5-6Y54-vs-Intel-Atom-x7-Z8700/m40602vsm27122
youtube.com/watch?v=xNxbM8ZGJwA
ark.intel.com/products/85475
ark.intel.com/products/family/71263/Intel-Atom-Processor-for-Server
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

you forgot
>discontinued

Those look like condoms

The 22nm celeron in my laptop can't even handle these tasks i can't imagine how an atom would handle it

>implying they were used in well built laptops

Yes. The perfect laptop
>quad core Atom
>8GB RAM
>12" 4:3 screen
>large glass clickpad along with a TrackPoint

my old netbook with a shitty atom did manage to run a n64 emulator and conker's bad fur day fine. other than that it was pretty damn slow even on windows xp.

My baytrail handles ~15 tabs in opera just fine with only 2GB ram.

They're like core 2 duos (~e7400 for baytrail) with a better igpu and massively reduced power consumption

Pretty sure Atom is for tablets, not laptops (though obviously convertibles/2-in-1s could have it)

Micro/fanless laptops had the celeron/pentium "N" series, which in terms of performance was pretty similar to the atom I think. I don't know why they're all just not one line.

What about the ideapad 100s?

Atoms are for tablets AND netbooks.
Plus the occasional phone.

My core M laptop does fantastic.

>ideapad 100s
I have this laptop. It's amazing for college. It lasts me an entire day of taking notes and playing emulators on the train.

Why didn't you get the Asus X205ta instead?
The battery life is almost double the 100s with the same specs and a slightly better screen.

>The battery life is almost double the 100s
No.

I got a t100ta actually, it was only 60 dollars from a friend, battery lasts all day, and I can undock it for when I'm using it on the bus home.

Only gripe is the horrible Linux support. Would love to load up solus or Ubuntu mate.

Or even regular unity Ubuntu because touch screen.

Yeah, a bit of an exaggeration, but the X205TA is still clearly better, while being the cheaper. It was $99 on Amazon about a year ago.

Source:
notebookcheck.net/Asus-EeeBook-X205TA-FD005BS-Netbook-Review.131308.0.html
notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Ideapad-100S-Notebook-Review.152010.0.html

My friends dog chewed through his 205ta charger and he had to order a new one from eBay cause no one stocks it here.

The t100ta is better imo just because it uses micro USB to charge and is convertible

My atom-based netbook and mini PC (lol chinkshit)

userbenchmark.com/UserRun/1472884
userbenchmark.com/UserRun/1148393

Compare with slightly more powerful Celery mini PC from HP

userbenchmark.com/UserRun/1278981

How fast does the T100ta charge via Microusb?
I have the Surface 3 and it takes almost 3 hours for a 28Wh battery, it came with a 2.4A 5V charger.

Charging is pretty slow, like 5-6 hours to charge when using it, but that's with my 1.8A Nexus 7 charger and chink micro USB cable.

Haven't really timed it when not using it

>Atom sized

Perfect for you!

Baytrail is a fucking beast. I have a win10 baytrail/android x86 tabby that plays crysis. Full size usb3 micro hdmi out and it was like 80 bucks at the time.

Why Intel killed Atoms? They had a great idea with x3 x5 and x7, fucking Memedragon

Nobody but manufacturers of $80 chink tablets are buying them. Really doesn't give out the right message, even though they rape the shit out of anything in the ARM (SHA1 cheats) field.

They were in the best budget laptops.
Atom was perfect for netbooks.

Celeron can't compete, hp stream 11 gets worse battery life than ideapad 100s without being significant better performing

Apollo Lake and Denverton are still on roadmap, they are based on low power Atom cores. If they choose to ditch the name completely and switch to Core M branding it's because marketing.
anandtech.com/show/10489/spot-the-denverton-atom-c3000-silicon-on-display
anandtech.com/show/10490/more-atom-apollo-lake-on-display

Those are for servers, I already have a d2500 board at home for mine...

Second link isn't just about servers, it's a general low powered SoC that can be used on embedded and notebook like devices

Just had another look, you're right!

Fuck, Now I'm keen. Will probably upgrade when netbooks with 4GB ram drop in price if Linux support doesn't improve on my t100ta

atom performance is/was abysmal. it's actually unreal how slow they are.

Core M on the other hand... that's some good shit.

Nigga what?

Atoms have been pretty good since cedarview and newer.

No

I just don't see RAM ever getting cheap enough that 4 GB will be standard on a netbook. 3 GB if you're lucky.

best atom i could find
cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel Atom x7-Z8700 @ 1.60GHz

inbetween pentium III and pentium 4 performance

best core m i could find
cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel Core m5-6Y54 @ 1.10GHz

wow that's comparable to 1st gen Core i5 desktop chips.

face it too much is sacrificed to save 2 watts of tdp.

N270 was the first Atom I had that actually felt like a CPU and not a potato in a box.

Check out the benchmarks for atom x7 z8700 vs any core M, the performance difference is barely noticeable and yet core M pumps twice more TDP, the atom goes for 30$ and the core m goes for 300$ tho, thats why intel cut it off, they couldnt jew enough.

You are going to be paying out the ass for that Core M unfortunately. If all you need is a craptop for shitposting on, no point in getting a Core M.

First gen Atoms can be a pain but they've gotten quite good. I don't know exactly when they got decent, but I can say I had a Cr-48 and its Pineview processor was great. My C2D laptop just died and I'm actually debating buying another Cr-48 to replace it.
>tfw my current mobile computing devices are an Atom N270 netbook, PowerPC G4 laptop, and a Core Solo U1400 UMPC

Do it fgt, the atoms match the power of C2D completely

uhh ok? dont worry your internet attention is safe lol, i didnt see your post

cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-m5-6Y54-vs-Intel-Atom-x7-Z8700/m40602vsm27122

>222% higher FP speed
>101% higher int speed

lower floating point performance than an athlon 64 x2 3800+ vs same floating point performance as an fx-9590 yeah barely noticeable though

>tfw waiting for Apollo Lake so i can buy a low powered cloudbook/netbook for college.

The performance of these n3050 out there is truly atrocious.

Can't wait for the next gen.

>floating point performance
lol, discarded

No, don't be fucking retarded, but for

Not really, we're comparing an Atom N455 (PassMark 285) to a C2D SU9400 (PassMark: 941). Either way I don't need much power out of a laptop so I probably will go for the Cr-48

>discarded
Okay, since you think integer performance matters more (it doesn't) on the atom it's lower than a pentium 4 3.00ghz and the core m is around the same as an i5-2400.

25% faster than a core 2 duo e7200, pretty good for something that uses so little power.

And that's just cpu performance, gpu performance is much better too.

It's plenty unless you're rendering or gaming or doing some intensive shit

Hm, I was talking about something like P8400 (non-gimped) or a desktop C2D

How is that relevant? Either way the C2D trashes the N455.

>pentium 4 3.00ghz
lol, you've overdone the fact distortion and ruined your argument my man, x7 z8700 has 2000 while Core M has 3200, and the price difference is about 270$, so barely worth it

>mfw z3735f
>mfw getting macbook tier Battery life at a fraction of the price

The last Atom CPU that's gonna get releases is the Z8750, real life performance from what I've seen is basically the same as the i5-2450m that i'm running right now.

but hey at least you've got 4 of them so you can run 4 things slow as shit vs the 2c+4t of the core m :^^^^)

That's because while the i5 is much more powerful, you really wouldn't use either for anything demanding.

Celery a shit. Core M is overpriced.
Fuck my life ;_;

It's funny how you keep bringing numbers into it while ignoring many other factors of a smooth pc experience.
>ram speed
>disk speed
>gpu performance
>instruction sets

But that's okay, you enjoy playing around with your useless numbers while I enjoy my netbook with smooth performance and crazy battery life (:

Good point. Most people wouldn't push either to their limits in a typical usage scenario either.

>smooth performance
enjoy your mandatory noscript and ublock to not slow down to a crawl since i gaurantee nothing else you're doing on that is multithreaded. who needs to visit heavy webpages anyway, they're all cancer. all i need is Sup Forums!

Alright, you've clearly never used cedar hill or any newer atom.

Got a d2500 + hd5450 running solus at home, handles 1080p YouTube just fine, I can use facebook and other bloated sites, I never tested more than 6 tabs but it was smooth for general web browsing.

My z3735f netbook with windows 8 is even faster and I've had around 10 tabs open, with YouTube playing in the background and facebook, and it was still running smooth.

Why are you so upset over the newer atoms beating out older desktops.

I bet you hate ARM too.

I'm using one right now. Can emulate psp games like monster hunter bretty gud but it kills the battery. Chrome can hold a thousand tabs as long as the pos bugged out flash is turned off.

Cedarview*
Bloody auto correct.

underfelated post

What's the cheapest tablet with core M?

Never knew it was good enough for psp emulation.

Would be pretty neat if we saw some handheld machines running an atom + gt 920m or some shit, maybe 6 inch 720p screen.

I'd buy that just for emulators and shit like magicka 2

>33w
Never mind, hopefully gt1020m is better

Watching videos from the web on my netbook was unbearable. Eventually I discovered that opening a video in mplayer made it stream flawlessly and that the piece of shit known as flash ruined Atom's reputation forever.

>I never used anything but a first gen atom from 10 years ago but think that my opinion is relevant
wtf man

not upset, just making it clear that the strongest core m shits on the strongest atom so hard it's not even a contest..

youtube.com/watch?v=xNxbM8ZGJwA

But what do you do on a core m that you can't do on an atom?
What does a core m even do better than an atom? Score higher in benchmarks?
Congratulations, you have the better benchmark machine.

>falling for the TDP meme
man, people are so fucking retarded. no wonder they buy intel hw...

as long as they can both shitpost who cares ^:)

;-)

Once you think about it, truly CPU intensive tasks aren't really important until you're trying to do content creation or muh vidya, and even then it just takes longer or runs a bit slower ..

It's true, the only reason hardware exists is to shitpost on a Tibetan vacuum cleaner enthusiast forum.

Vidya is not that CPU intensive.

Tell that to fallout 4, or gta v, or ashes of the singularity, or planetary annihilation, or literally any cpu intensive game

poor examples, cpu intensive is single core intensive. you know, the kind of games that having 2 cores or 20 makes almost no difference for.

>games aren't CPU intensive, except the ones that are, but let's just pretend those don't exist

You've never played a game older than 4 years then.

They are few and far between, Fallout 4 is not CPU intensive, you can get any Bethesda meme game to run well if you just give it a shit ton of RAM.

They were dogshit famalam

I see you've never used one

The latest Cherry Trails processors before being essentially discontinued are missing AVX, AVX2, and FMA3 SIMD instructions, which have been on the Core processors since Sandy Bridge and Haswell respectively.

ark.intel.com/products/85475

The atom was always behind the Core procesors in terms of what implemented SIMD instruction sets you could use which is incredibly stupid to do since there were no performance issues putting them in since they would do it later and it would have resulted in a better top to bottom offering but Intel did a batch of dumb stuff that made the Atom pretty much noncompetitive and viable compared to ARM but no competition causes companies to do truly stupid things.

>barely any power consumption
>low tdp, won't throttle even without a heatsink
Those are the same thing retardo

>FMA3
>relevant

Thermal output =/= power consumption you retard

Fused multiply add speedups matter a lot when we do a lot of matrix manipulation these days in just about everything from digital data processing of all sorts, especially in video and images, to neutral nets.

>won't throttle even without a heatsink

Looks like they were focussing on different things for the Atom.
The Atom line featured hardware acceleration for VP9 and H.265 long before they added those instructions to Core GPUs.
Atoms are for tablet media consumption while Core is for productivity and work.

>matrix manipulation
>Intel atom
Wow.

Don't greentext false implications without any evidence, it really grinds on my nerves.

Atoms were advertised to be server CPUs as "low-cost" data center solutions SoCs at one point so there was no reason they should've not had these ISA extensions, because certainly if the consumer wasn't doing much stuff that required FMA or AVX, the server certainly could.

ark.intel.com/products/family/71263/Intel-Atom-Processor-for-Server

Low cost home servers probably, atoms aren't meant for heavy crunching.

Anyone in need of real computational power would probably turn to xeons or GPUs

Nope, see pic related...

It had to do with the incursion of ARM processors into Intel's server market.

The xeon has double the performance per watt, literally agreeing with my post

>Apps

Yes, on a compute basis, but had you actually read the slide, you would see that they were not advertising this as a consumer server part. The server Atom CPUs were meant to compete on a power efficiency scale with ARM processors.

I've got a pile of three laptops with them right next to me lmao

oh snap