My 6950 has served me well for the last five years but is now a "legacy" product. I'm on the hunt for a good upgrade

My 6950 has served me well for the last five years but is now a "legacy" product. I'm on the hunt for a good upgrade.
Will I regret this? Canadian dollars, of course.
I've heard that the fan constantly spins at 45% on idle or something

Also, general GPU nonsense thread

Buy a used 980

keep an eye out for the r9 fury's.

they been selling pretty cheap lately. low 300's. at least here in the states.

since you keep your cards for awhile it seems a 480 would be a better investment since it fares FAR better in dx12 & vulkan than the 1060 does.

though i know they are scarce in canada. even the reference ones.

best buy's website get a brand new reference 980 for $275 or forever be a performance hating money burning fag

That's $275 in freedom dollars

What's a reference card

>666W TDP

I've got the MSI Gaming. Overclocks like a champ. Sitting at +220 core and + 700 memory right now

OP here, I'm in Canada and can't get BB to ship here. 275 is fucking amazing for a 980, even if it's a reference

>check local listings for used 980s
>500~700 CAD
Fuck

I did a similar upgrade path to you. Had a 6950 that finally killed itself years of use, bought a 260X to bide some more time, and finally upgraded to an RX470 last week. Got mine for $168 and it was totally worth it. Fans turn off when idle, runs everything at 1080/60fps, I can finally record game footage, etc. I'd recommend the RX470 over the 1060 if you can find it for cheap.

>fan constantly spins
Get an Asus if you want disengaged fans at idle. Though any case with any sound deadening will be silent.

Why would you buy AMD if you plan to record gameplay? Shadowplay is so much better than anything AMD has

OBS with VCE support works just fine. I can record at 1080/60 with no noticeable performance hit on my 470. I didn't buy the card with recording in mind though. I just like to occasionally upload clips to YouTube.

>Nvidia
You'll regret it. Going from a 5870 to a 770 was the worst tech purchase I've ever made and I can't wait to be back on AMD soon.

Kek, this has more power connectors every time I see it. Someone should give it a 240mm rad.

Yes, you will regret the 1060. It too will become a legacy product once Volta releases.

Not really. VCE is on par with shadowplay, easily. Where the fuck do you Nvidiots get off on ignoring this fact?

This card is hotter than india during a heatwave.

if you're real anal about legacy avoid nvidia entirely. If you dont mind upgrading every gen then the 1060 is fine.

Enjoy your gimped drivers as soon as 11xx comes out.

Get thr 480 if you plan on keeping it 5 years again

Nvidia lineup will age like milk cause horrible dx12 performance

All the 8GB 480s are 400+ CAD.
Plus, they don't exist at the moment.
By the way, are all custom RX480s pretty much good across the board or are there some stinkers I should be aware of? I was looking at the sapphire nitro in particular, or maybe the MSI.

This is exactly what I want to avoid. I'd rather not get a new GPU every year just to gain back driver support.

Seem to all be pretty good. Sapphire, XFX, MSI, and PowerColor all have solid reviews.