Will Vulkan ever make Linux gaming a viable option?

Gaming really is the only thing holding me back from using Linux, I don't want to dual boot install/repartition/rebooting and other faggotry just to be able to play.

So will this Vulkan thing actually make games playable on Linux in the future?

Inb4 stallman cult followers scream "JUST BUY A PS4/WIIU!!!!!!"

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=17qxEpn4EGs
reddit.com/r/VFIO/wiki/index
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Gaming really is the only thing holding me back from using Linux

kys back to ``kudasai"

There are plenty of games available for Linux.

Yeah but sometimes you want to play some quality AAA titles that uses my 980ti and not the latest edgy indie hippie faggotry some numales developed.

The demographic for most AAA 'quality' games are kids from 12 to 16 years old. They don't run Linux, so companies don't invest money in making it cross platform. A graphics engine is just a portion of a game. There's a lot more involved like networking and threading.
Your numale games usually don't require cutting edge technology so it makes sense to build it on an engine like Unity which happens to be cross platform.
TL;DR

gamers gtfo

>Gaming really is the only thing holding me back from using Linux
then stop gaming, idiot

>The demographic for most AAA 'quality' games are kids from 12 to 16 years old.

Being this delusional

>defending manchildren

An industry bigger than to music and movie industry combined sure only have 12-16 old consumers.

Wait wat

Battlefield, Call of Duty, Doom and many others are targeted to teens. Basically any game that focuses on graphical quality. One of the few exceptions might be The Witcher.
You do seem to fit in that category. Like you said, you only care about graphics so your 980Ti can shine. Why not run Unigene in an infinite loop? It's cross platform and looks pretty.

1.6 and TF2 are all you need, friend

Probably not.

The best option right now if your hardware supports it is to put windows in a VM cuck shed and pass a gpu to it
youtube.com/watch?v=17qxEpn4EGs
reddit.com/r/VFIO/wiki/index

>defending main stream

DirectX usually means no Linux ports.

Vulkan is cross platform.

So yes it means more games for Linux.

I have a dedicated machine for games that don't work on Linux. It triple boots win xp/7/10

Since I have a job, a life and other hobbies I rarely play anyway. And if I do so I mostly either play indie/story-driven games, which mostly work with wine anyway or visit a friend and play together on a console.

To get back to the question you asked:
Vulcan isn't what's going to make or brake gaming on Linux, but the users. As soon as Linux gets 15-20% share on desktops/laptops there will be more software/games that run on Linux natively, with will result in more people using it more companies offering more devices with pre-installed Linux.

i'm too lazy go go through every program I use and find out what has linux ports and what I'll need to find alternatives for

Just only use open source stuff so you aren't limited to which OS you use.

muh japanese gaems

People that find those games entertaining don't need nice software because it would be wasted on them.

Why would companies want to use directx now that you can get greater or equal to results with vulkan?

Microsoft's money

>muh AAA titles
Play Civ, you faggot.

>mfw playing operator tier games like Arma and day of infamy on my arch desktop
>mfw Linux gaming is now

>Arma
>good game

Stay pleb

>some quality AAA titles that uses my 980ti
>AAA titles
>quality
Among all AAA titles there might be 5% of good titles. And I'm generous.

>Inb4 stallman cult followers scream "JUST BUY A PS4/WIIU!!!!!!"
What the hell are you talking about? No free software supporter would suggest PS4/Wiiu, are you insane?

>I don't want to dual boot install/repartition/rebooting and other faggotry just to be able to play
1: There are tons of GNU/Linux games
2: There is always wine

>So will this Vulkan thing actually make games playable on Linux in the future?
No, vulkan is just an api like opengl, nothing is going to change.

DirectX is cross-platform
Proof: There are multiple free as in freedom DX9 and some experimental DX11 implementations for GNU/Linux