I fell for the meme

I bought this piece of shit laptop a month ago and it's so fucking slow. I can barely get any memory-intensive work done on it because the CPU starts hanging or some shit. Don't buy this glorified meme chink shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

software.intel.com/en-us/articles/quick-reference-guide-to-intel-processor-graphics
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Just install a light Linux distro.

what is it? an x220?

I did. I've installed Debian on it and unexpectedly its slow as shit. I don't know if Debian's light but the bare OS seems to be around 300mb, I'm not sure though
Yes

Install Windows 7 on it

well shit i was planning on getting one

Should have gotten the t420 dog.

Also, you may need to repaste your heatsink. When they run hot they run slow

I would buy it from you for a reasonable price.

SSD, upgrade RAM, stop using winshit. You're on fucking Sup Forums, I shouldn't have to tell you this.

I got a X220 since 2 months ago and installed Debian on it, and it's smooth as fuck, it's faster than my T410.
Idk what you did on your X220.

Probably op have ded harddrive. He says hanging.

>chinkpad
>no usb 3.0

imma throw up

I wouldn't go with debian desu.

Try mint xfce or something like that.

Same laptop.
X220 ~ » systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 5.026s (kernel) + 4.683s (userspace) = 9.710s

Don't know what you're doing wrong, OP.

Does it need to be repaired? Is it brand new?

lmao'ing @ ur life bro

When I try to do memory-intensive tasks such as parsing large files and extracting compressed archives my OS begins to hang for some reason and I think it's because of my CPU, It came with an "Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3320M CPU @ 2.60GHz".
This is my output
Startup finished in 2.800s (kernel) + 14.256s (userspace) = 17.056s

Kind of, I got it a month ago and it wasn't a used one.

I got an X220 from my brother a couple years ago - he barely used it for 6 months and it's got 6 gb ram, fast ssd, etc.

I never use it because like you said, it's a slow cheap piece of chink shit. Windows 7, 8.1, Arch, Ubuntu, etc. are all slow as fuck on it once you do more than open up a single terminal window and it has the single worst track pad ever made.

You may need to replace the thermal paste, your CPU could be throttling. Is your fan spun up real fast all the time?

I do not have these problems. PEBCAC.

I don't think it's fast but when I do the resource/memory-intensive tasks I mentioned it becomes very hot. I might consider replacing the thermal paste but I don't wanna mess anything since I never opened up a laptop before.

Believing anything what g says

Everything memed and loved by g is shit because g is a technology hipster board where everxthing popular/useful is uncool

Why since all I do on my x220t is watch movies, draw and read gook comics and manage my eve online spreadsheets.

The T410 is way better for that kind of shit.

There's an extensive hardware manual. It's a slight pain because you have to remove the motherboard in order to remove the heatsink, but so long as you can follow directions, it's not so bad.

That's one of the good things about yours.
Just look up a video on youtube, they're easy to open and work with.

I have an x201 one and it's running windows and it's fine.

What hardware do you have?

If it has like 2GB RAM then obviously it would be slow. My one has 8GB RAM + 1TB HDD.

we need to figure a way to rip the insides and screen and mod it

besides that piece of trash is meant for productivity aka coding 'cause it has the best keyboard

Not sure how much RAM I have but this is what htop says

rip
get at least 8 in there user. THe max is 16, but that causes some issues with eGPUs on windows iirc if you ever want to go that route.

Looks like your problem wasn't memes.

you could have gotten a t430/x230, and you should have repasted

also, 8gb of ram is the minimum for decent performance, did you do that as well?

cat /proc/meminfo

MemTotal: 1680808 kB
MemFree: 308016 kB
MemAvailable: 556696 kB
Buffers: 37032 kB
Cached: 394652 kB
SwapCached: 16172 kB
Active: 831312 kB
Inactive: 417104 kB
Active(user): 627608 kB
Inactive(user): 231040 kB
Active(file): 203704 kB
Inactive(file): 186064 kB
Unevictable: 68 kB
Mlocked: 68 kB
SwapTotal: 3569660 kB
SwapFree: 3431916 kB
Dirty: 2896 kB
Writeback: 0 kB
AnonPages: 814792 kB
Mapped: 75268 kB
Shmem: 41916 kB
Slab: 84152 kB
SReclaimable: 55712 kB
SUnreclaim: 28440 kB
KernelStack: 4000 kB
PageTables: 12876 kB
NFS_Unstable: 0 kB
Bounce: 0 kB
WritebackTmp: 0 kB
CommitLimit: 4410064 kB
Committed_AS: 2192472 kB
VmallocTotal: 34359738367 kB
VmallocUsed: 344308 kB
VmallocChunk: 34359295624 kB
HardwareCorrupted: 0 kB
AnonHugePages: 2048 kB
HugePages_Total: 0
HugePages_Free: 0
HugePages_Rsvd: 0
HugePages_Surp: 0
Hugepagesize: 2048 kB
DirectMap4k: 73920 kB
DirectMap2M: 1712128 kB

>X220
>Ivy Bridge
Why would you lie on the internet?

upgrade your hdd to ssd

I got a X201i, with an i5 M520, 4GB of RAM and a 120GB SSD... running Windows "botnet" 10 Pro.

And it's fast as fuck.
Something must be wrong with your X220.

>not even 2G RAM

I would be troubled too working with so little holy shit. Just slap more in there and you're good.

When I bought the laptop it said that it had 4GB but for some reason its 1.6gb apparently, any idea why this is happening? I'm running 64 bit Debian

λ systemd-analyze ~ eero@ceres
Startup finished in 1.511s (kernel) + 2.492s (userspace) = 4.004s

Fastest thinkpad in the thread. (X200s)

Yeah, got a lot of bloat on mine.

>i5-3320M
>X220

Pick one, faggot.

It's obviously because it's a shit laptop. Seeing how this happened to you, nobody should ever buy a Thinkpad.

Where did you buy it?
You got either scammed hard or the reseller does not test his shit and you got faulty RAM.

my T420 with dual ssd's 12gb of ram and 1600x900 works swell. and amazing for the price

run memtest. and post a pic of the BIOS main page too.

Yep. OP's full of shit.

Would you kindly shitpost in another thread for a minute? Thanks.

Low RAM and default vm.swappiness setting leads to lot of swapping even when the tasks themselves don't take that much which will lead to you experiencing those hanging etc. You should definitely download more RAM, but in the meantime try lowering vm.swappiness to 5 or something to have the kernel swap out only when it absolutelly needs to

>"Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3320M CPU @ 2.60GHz

I had a feeling this was a troll post, but this confirms it.

Oh, this isn't the shitpost thread where a retard got mad at Thinkpads for problems he faced because he's a retard?

It's the hard drive OP

teach me senpai

systemd-analyze blame

hi

alot of dev stuff slowing it way down

2.841s docker.service
2.836s [email protected]
2.010s apt-daily.service
1.789s mariadb.service
863ms grub-common.service
767ms gpu-manager.service
598ms dev-sda1.device
475ms dnsmasq.service
473ms plymouth-quit-wait.service
473ms vboxdrv.service
396ms ModemManager.service
393ms accounts-daemon.service
383ms nginx.service

sadfrog.meme

It's literally fine.

I prefer my t430s despite the fuckawful battery.(4h tops)

>5400rpm HDD
This is OP's problem right?

% systemd-analyze
zsh: command not found: systemd-analyze

Do you need all of those immediately at startup?

Hello to you too! Say my regards to your SSD.

My SSD said "Hello" too!

x220 works fine, use it for work, old games, shitposting and replying threads to anons that sound like cunts bitching about the x220.
Check if you need repasting and for fuck sake it's 2016 the year of our lord why the fuck are you not using an ssd are you poor?

I don't need most of those at all, going to have a look through now and remove a load of shite.

I'm waiting on a new NAS box so once I can stop using this as my plex server I'll probably nuke it and start fresh

checkmate thinkfags

The T440s doesn't have a 1440x900 screen as a option

I can say this with 100% certainty because all T440s use a 16:9 display.

1440x900 is a 16:10 resolution.

That reviewer is full of shit.

Debian is fucking shit. Install something else

And the Mac Book Pros use the same CPUs and graphics chipsets as the Thinkpads, I find it has to believe that the MBP's graphics could be considerably better than the Thinkpad's.

ah yes the ceyboard

And the Mac Book Pros use the same CPUs and graphics chipsets as the Thinkpads, I find it hard to believe that the MBP's graphics could be considerably better than the Thinkpad's.

software.intel.com/en-us/articles/quick-reference-guide-to-intel-processor-graphics

The U series are actually limited to 3200 x 2000 @ 60 Hz or 3840 x 2160 @ 30 Hz so he's right on that front.
That kinda sucks when this laptop even has a miniDP.

Here I am reading you complain about performance with this old as fuck T42 with a Pentium M
You're doing something wrong, I'm using i3wm as I only have 32mb of vram and this old piece of shit's pretty damn usable as a laptop

The HQ MBPs costs like $1000 more than a T440S.

>that causes some issues with eGPUs on windows iirc
Any more information about this? I was trying to get a laptop with 16gb RAM but if there's another that can handle it instead of a x220 I'd rather do that

I know, obviously this guy is a retard, it's from hackernews.
Still a pretty dumb choice for this laptop d e s u

You want SandyBridge if you are going to be using expresscard eGPU

Go for an X230 or T430/T530

Not Gentoo?

danke

~
systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 2.624s (kernel) + 746ms (userspace) = 3.371s

can't complain

thats what you goet for listening to these losers

Shut the fuck up, you can't even spell "get". What could you possibly know about anything?

>loser detected

>I've installed Debian
Found the problem.

BITCH NIGGA ALERT! BITCH NIGGA ALERT!

this level of stupidity is what is best addressed by MacBook

Too old, I have a x230 and debian i5 3th generation and is barely enough for normal shit and some games of steam. I like it because that thing could survive me, but that is all, don't ask to much. If you are complaining about the price, we'll I bought my x230 for $200, I think I can sell it in 700 at least.

you could always put more ram in it, the thing only has like 2 gigs right?

i'm running an x220 with crunchbang plus plus as my main rig, 2 gigs of ram and everything and it's smooth as fuck.

i use it for my programming job and i do some lightweight math/neural network shit on it.

seriously get crunchbang plus plus it's so fucking goooood

There's your problem, only good thinkpad is the T420.

You deserve it for taking 4chin memes seriously.

I have X220 with i5 2520M, 8GiB ram, 128GiB msata SSD and a 500GiB 850 SSD dual booted with Windows 10 and Debian. If you don't have an SSD then get one.

You mean the T520, right? T420 has a shit screen.

This. My x220 has been swapping all the fucking time. OP, does the hdd activity led light up whenever it freezes? Configuring the swappiness and other related settings have helped quite a bit , but ultimately, I will need to upgrade to 8 or 16 GB RAM and install an SSD. The x220 is powerful, OP just needs to learn how computers work

What do you consider "normal shit" if an ivy bridge i5 is "barely enough" for it?

>ran a x220t with windows 7 for 5 years
>was always a nice speed never slow
OP is literally an idort.

What the shit are you talking about, you faggot? I have the same thing and I wouldn't change it for the world!